• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantasy Star 25th Anniversary Thread | When Red Rings Were Good

Ill Saint

Playing through PS1 now, and kind of amazed that back in 1990 my 10 year old self managed to complete this game without any help, and by memorising the dungeons through trial and error. These days I can barely remember what I did last week!

Eusis

Playing through PS1 now, and kind of amazed that back in 1990 my 10 year old self managed to complete this game without any help, and by memorising the dungeons through trial and error. These days I can barely remember what I did last week!
Your brain was fresh, young, and ready to be filled with useless RPG maps.

pants

You are right, it is also on wiiware. But I'm not talking about those services, I'm talking about iOS and xbla.

That's why this is puzzling me and I purposed that perhaps it's hidden away in some bundle. Makes no sense otherwise.

Yuterald

I downloaded the PS2 version of the Phantasy Star Collection from the Japanese store and when I go to launch the game my sound is all messed up. Anyone know what could be causing this? It sounds really grainy and unclear. Could it be my PS3? My audio settings, perhaps? I'm really frustrated here...=(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Too many techno parties ;) j/k but it's awesome to see you in this thread. Great taste in both music and games.

Ill Saint

Too many techno parties ;) j/k but it's awesome to see you in this thread. Great taste in both music and games.

Thanks man! This series was a huge part of my childhood.

PS1 is still as wonderful as I remember it. Still amazed at what they managed to cram into that cart, from the large, detailed monster sprites with their unique animations, to the 3D dungeons, the multi-planet travel.

Looking forward to moving onto PSII once I'm done with Alis' story. I never did finish that one. Got all the way to the (proper) last boss, but my party was too underleveled and I was too disheartened to salvage the playthrough.

I've got an especially massive soft spot for PSIII, which I think is often unfairly criticised. It's such a fascinating addition to the series, with it's epic multi-generation story that slowly reveals its ties to the previous game in a holy shit mindfuck kind of way. Can't wait to play that again.

I played PSIV many years after it finally got a western release. I had waited so long for that game to come out, hyped from the moment I heard news about it being the return of Alis, that by the time it finally came out I had moved on and lost my enthusiasm. When I did get around to it, I found it too easy and completely unmemorable. Nice, but it had come too late for me for to enjoy. Hope this time around I can get into it properly and finally enjoy it!

kiryogi

Banned
Cross post for Phantasy star love!

Phantasy Star fans and alike . . . Apparently the visual chronicle is available outside of the concert. . . But it's currently sold out everywhere (pending a restock)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A2%E3...d_bxgy_b_img_y

To remind folks what this awesome book has:

The Phantasy Star 25th Anniversary Visual Chronicle (2400 Yen) is chock-full of costumes, characters, enemies, fields, weapons, and various illustrations from the entire Phantasy Star series.

The first half of the book contains materials from the Sega Mark III era all the way through Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity. The second half of the book contains concept art images from Phantasy Star Online 2.

As a special bonus, you’ll also receive item codes that includes; the Myau Ornament, five Sega consoles, and the Phantasy Star Series 25th Anniversary sticker. These item codes will expire March 31st, 2014.

Also . . . So there was that 25th anniversary Phantasy Star Sympathy concert. . . and it's rather telling when the entire selection is practically nothing but PSOnline music. A friend points out to me the case maybe more so that PS I-IV music isn't that memorable. Who knows. Anywho this CD will be available in September . . . Here's the selection that was played for those that are curious.

Sympathy Concert Track List

01.Fanfare
02.Phantasy Star Medley for Sympathy 2013
03.Phantasy Star Online OPENING THEME ~The whole new world~
04.Can still see the light ~Phantasy Star Online ENDING THEME~
05.”IDOLA” have the immortal feather & the divine blade Medley
06.World with me ~Phantasy Star Online EPISODE2 ENDING THEME~
07.”LET THE WINDS BLOW” – Theme of Phantasy Star Online EpisodeⅢ-
08.Underworld -equilibrium-
09.Phantasy Star Zero
10.たいせつなもの
11.Save This World – Orchestra Version -

12.Save This World – νMIX -  
13.Living Universe
14.Go Infinity
15.Burning Hearts ~炎のANGEL~
16.Ignite Infinity

17.Title – PSO2 -
18.Stage Medley – PSO2 -
19.Dark Ragne
20.Big Varder & Quartz Dragon Medley
21.Falz Arm & Dark Falz Elder Medley
22.For Brighter Day – Orchestra Version -

PSV never more. XD

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Cross post for Phantasy star love!

Phantasy Star fans and alike . . . Apparently the visual chronicle is available outside of the concert. . . But it's currently sold out everywhere (pending a restock)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A2%E3...d_bxgy_b_img_y

Also . . . So there was that 25th anniversary Phantasy Star Sympathy concert. . . and it's rather telling when the entire selection is practically nothing but PSOnline music. A friend points out to me the case maybe more so that PS I-IV music isn't that memorable. Who knows. Anywho this CD will be available in September . . . Here's the selection that was played for those that are curious.
Holy business. I need this in my life. Particularly the CD, because I've wanted some of that PSO2 goodness since last year since the music is so good. Thanks for the heads-up, kiryogi.

The book really is sold out everywhere. Sheesh. Amazon Japan seems like the decent place to get it, and even then it's taking a while.

Daingurse

Phantasy Star Online. . .god I think I've played that game on 4 platforms. Probably my favorite Diablo lootfest honestly, my local coop experiences on Xbox and Gamecube were simply amazing. 1000's of hours well spent.

FoNewmn for life.

1668256-fonewm.jpg

kiryogi

Banned
Holy business. I need this in my life. Particularly the CD, because I've wanted some of that PSO2 goodness since last year since the music is so good. Thanks for the heads-up, kiryogi.

The book really is sold out everywhere. Sheesh. Amazon Japan seems like the decent place to get it, and even then it's taking a while.

My Kinokuniya called me 2 hours ago . . . Phone was on silent. Something came in but no idea what. . . checked email. Title: 25thアニバーサリーファンタシースタービジュアルクロニクル

FUCK YES :D

Oh thanks for the heads up on the Visual Chronicle. Hadn't heard of it before. I really love the first series of Phantasy Star. I played the genesis games when I was a kid but only tried the original last year on the PS2 collection and it was amazing, miles ahead of the other first console rpgs.

kiryogi

Banned
Visual Chronicle get! ! ! It's more of a PSO2 artbook if anything. . . as the above description notes, the 2nd half is all PSO2. The first half does feature every single game, but each game gets like 2-4 pages at most. Although the PSOnline titles get a little more. . . But there's interviews with Reiko Kodama, Yuji Naka, and Satoshi Sakai.

Ferr986

Yet the entire concert was nothing but PSOnline music. . . Some 25th huh?

yeah, I love PSO music, but when I saw the tracklist I was like "WHAT?!"

Even some FF Concerts have some tracks for the NES era, a medley is just not enough. Older PS games have some awesome songs, not just IV (dat PS III title screen).

I guess is not about the quality of the tracks, but more about the popularity of those games in Japan?

sibarraz

Banned
What happened to Reiko Kodama? I don't know which games had she developed.

Also, how much influence does had yuji naka on the original series?

Who were the responsibles of the original series?

I really want to know some tidbits of the development team

EDIT: well, it seems that reiko had a great career according to wikipedia, made props to her, she had direct involvment with tons of games that I love

kiryogi

Banned
What happened to Reiko Kodama? I don't know which games had she developed.

Also, how much influence does had yuji naka on the original series?

Who were the responsibles of the original series?

I really want to know some tidbits of the development team

EDIT: well, it seems that reiko had a great career according to wikipedia, made props to her, she had direct involvment with tons of games that I love

Reiko Kodama is still doing fine. Her most title that folks would recognize is Skies of Arcadia, but now she's currently producing the 7th Dragon games. If I recall correctly, Yuji Naka was the dungeon designer/programmer for Phantasy Star I. Was also involved with Phantasy Star II

Easily one of my favorite franchises. Going back and beating 1-4 for the first time over the past year and a half was a very enjoyable experience (only played part of IV back in the mid 90s), but it's also saddening to know that we will probably never get a PSV.

Eusis

Originally I think Aeana or Dragona? was saying the first one was slated . . But yeah that was before Sega pulled back.
Dragona I believe, but yeah, I'm guessing if it was planned something went screwy somewhere along the chain and it ended up falling through. It was around when DS sales seemingly started to dip a lot too, which didn't help. 3DS having the DD route might just be what'd save localizations there, or so I'd hope.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The Phantasy Star Complete Collection (and everything else that's Sega Ages) is on sale right now on the Japanese PSN for just 400 yen!
So if you want to start with the series, this is your best chance.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Started with Phantasy Star II today (on the Complete Collection). Should I change any of the settings (like movement speed, difficulty, "fast battle") or is the game best in its original state?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Started with Phantasy Star II today (on the Complete Collection). Should I change any of the settings (like movement speed, difficulty, "fast battle") or is the game best in its original state?
You should go ahead and make the changes. Upping the movement speed (this is crucial), and lowering the difficulty some might make the game a little better in some areas (get more XP and money as you make it easier).

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks.
I have to say the PSN version looks pretty nice on an HDTV (set to 480p with scanlines). I expected it to look a bit worse.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What's up with those Blaster enemies in Nido? Met them two times, first time I managed to win with my main character dead and made it back to town. Second time, immediately after I rescued Teim, they get a preemptive strike and I'm killed before I can do much. Tried to run away but it didn't work. I have no problem with any of the other enemies in that dungeon.

Beckx

What's up with those Blaster enemies in Nido? Met them two times, first time I managed to win with my main character dead and made it back to town. Second time, immediately after I rescued Teim, they get a preemptive strike and I'm killed before I can do much. Tried to run away but it didn't work. I have no problem with any of the other enemies in that dungeon.

Yep, that's Nido tower. Need to grind a bit to withstand them.

Rhapsody

Banned
So since Phantasy Star Star Complete Collection is on sale, I was wondering, is this version the one to get? Does the Ultimate Genesis Collection have none of the features this one has? And is the script the same/better/worse? Also anyone know when the sale ends?

Jucksalbe

Banned
The sale last until May 7th.
The emulation quality of the Complete Collection is leagues above what the Ultimate Mega Drive Collection did. None of the options of the CC are included in the UMDC, but on the other hand the CC doesn't have save states (I think). The script should be the same, they're both emulations of the original versions.

Edit: The other Sega Ages titles on sale are: The Space Harrier II Complete Collection, Dynamite Deka, Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box, Sega Memorial Selection and probably Dragon Force (I already had that so I couldn't see the price).

Rhapsody

Banned
Nice, thanks, that pretty much answered everything. Gonna get the CC version. I've only played the first Phantasy Star a tiny bit way back, so this'll be my first time giving the series a serious try.

Tizoc

Anyone know where the cheapest is to get 1000 Yen card? I wanna grab the PS2 Collection of JPN PSN but I can't find a site that sells it for a close equivalent of $10...

Jucksalbe

Banned
Cheapest is usually Solaris Japan, you probably won't finds cards anywhere that go for the actual exchange rate. Solaris Japan sometimes take their sweet time (1-2 days) to send you the code, so only use them if you are not in a hurry.

Beckx

Anyone have a link to high quality sprites from PS & PSII? I'm looking for the overworld/town walking or standing sprites for the team members for those game. Also if there's a high quality shot of Mother Brain (preferably with Rolf attacking) from PSII that would be great, too.

Beckx

i hate to bump an ancient thread, but figured that other Phantasy Star fans might be tracking this one in their subscriptions and would be interested in this:

laserdestroyerteam released a cover of the Phantasy Star I soundtrack yesterday

https://laserdestroyerteam.bandcamp.com/album/phantasy-star-lp

it's (was) the 28th anniversary in Japan! maybe we'll get a new single player RPG for the 30th? Maybe? (let me dream)

RRockman

Banned
i hate to bump an ancient thread, but figured that other Phantasy Star fans might be tracking this one in their subscriptions and would be interested in this:

laserdestroyerteam released a cover of the Phantasy Star I soundtrack yesterday

https://laserdestroyerteam.bandcamp.com/album/phantasy-star-lp

it's (was) the 28th anniversary in Japan! maybe we'll get a new single player RPG for the 30th? Maybe? (let me dream)

Neat covers! I just hope we could possibly get a game outside of japan again.
I hate how Sega is starving us out.

Top Bottom