• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

I believe that May date is referring to an older quote about the 360/PS3 approval process, see here. I always thought Apple's review period was a little annoying, but compared to a 4-5 week XBLA/PSN review period it seems a little better. I guess if you want to be able to play new tables a month before they come out, get an Android device! :)
I have one! But PA doesn't work on x86-based Android devices :/

FoxSpirit

Btw, there has been a graphics update on Android for TotaN, looks MUCH nice now. Two small low res textures aside, this is prolly as good as it will get for now.
Sometimes I have to restart though because of weird slowdown, restart fixes.

Nice, want this style of update for ToM and MM pls :)

J0dy77

My iOS version wiped all of my high scores on ToTAN ... :eek:

No idea what I did to cause it or trigger it, but I was severely bummed.

I had the same thing happen to all of my tables. Think the application reset, might be an iOS issue. Who knows, but very annoying.

J0dy77

Any chance of them making a Tron table? This thing is fucking amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWi1ZvvuHGI

That table looks absolutely amazing. The licensing is going to be a real bitch for them to ever create it. I'm not sure we'll ever see a lot of the great licensed pinball games, LoTR, T2, Pirates of the Caribbean. Very sad.

Man, it's disheartening to wake up, see 5 iOS updates that appeared overnight... but no sign of Pinball Arcade. This is killing me.

I have the same feeling every time I see an update. You would think Farsight could do a better job of updating their website. We're not talking about a ton of work here, just a simple "new tables in early May for iOS" would be enough for m.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I popped in the Williams Collection disc for PS3 over the weekend after playing this and was actually kinda disappointed to see so many things in it that Pinball Arcade doesn't have. The flippers are way more responsive and faster and the plunger pulls back nice and smooth, more camera options, a nice playfield pan at the start... the DMDs also seem to be less "fudgy," and even quicker--makes it seem almost like they have some kinda blur filter on the Pinball Arcade. I also miss being able to poke around the "virtual arcade" like we could in the old game. That is to say nothing of the challenge mode (which I suppose just has yet to be implemented).

On the other hand, PA's physics blow the old game away, and the HDR lighting is like a revelation compared to the William's collection. The tables also seem more oddly constructed in the old game, and are much improved in PA.

PA occupies kind of a weird space right now, I guess... not quite "beta" software but still notably janky in certain aspects. If there's any game that can only benefit from continued updates it's this. I just pray they put the support behind it that it needs going forward to really surpass Williams Collection.

Shaneus

I have the same feeling every time I see an update. You would think Farsight could do a better job of updating their website. We're not talking about a ton of work here, just a simple "new tables in early May for iOS" would be enough for m.
Yup. Their communication is shithouse. Unless you monitor their FB page like a hawk or check out pinballarcadefans.com (which is unofficial, so it's a sheer fluke if you come across it) you'd have no idea. That, or just think there's the four tables and that's it.

Really, really shit PR. Common sense stuff, too. ARGH.

You could try using the chainfire 3d driver, requires root access tough
I think I would? I'm using the AMD Brazos port of ICS running on an MSI Windpad 110W. I'm not to au fait with Android/Linux stuff :(

TxdoHawk

At work so I don't have the direct links, but two big updates on the Facebook comment threads:

- It was stated that the last iOS update took 8 days to process and they put in this latest one on Monday the 9th. So hopefully, we'll have good news in the next few days.

- Someone asked about Twilight Zone and the page owner replied with "Stay tuned..." which caused everyone to flip out. So that's pretty much a lock, then?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm kind of disappointed with the Vita version of this game.

The glitches are ridiculous--why even bother to have standard/wizard goals if glitches prevent you from actually achieving them?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
At work so I don't have the direct links, but two big updates on the Facebook comment threads:

- It was stated that the last iOS update took 8 days to process and they put in this latest one on Monday the 9th. So hopefully, we'll have good news in the next few days.

- Someone asked about Twilight Zone and the page owner replied with "Stay tuned..." which caused everyone to flip out. So that's pretty much a lock, then?

That would be some of the best news I've heard in a while.

LOVE that table.

Still want Jackbot, though.

TxdoHawk

a0247bff.jpg

For posterity. Forgot I can get around things with the iPad.

I went to the Pinball Cafe in Toronto and played some real actual pinball last night! What a blast.

The first thing I noticed is that the physics in this game aren't as accurate as people claim. Although they are great and I still like them very much.

The second thing I noticed is that the Addam's Family table isn't nearly as good as I thought it would be. I wonder if people are remembering it differently than it actually is because of nostalgia. I played it a couple times and then moved on to the other tables that I liked more. Anyways, I would still buy it or any other table for that matter... but now I know there are tons of tables I would rather have than that one. (although it would be a smart move for them due to the sales potential)

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Teasing Twilight Zone? Hot damn. Well, it's not like they have no idea that we want it.

Also, re: Road Show... a "pseudo-sequel" to an already digitized game (Funhouse) with no existing IP complications that's highly regarded and likely easy to license, from already-licensed designers? I'd say it's pretty much a shoo-in.

Plinko

Since this is kind of a quasi-nostalgia thread, I would love to see Red and Ted's Road Show digitized one day. Doubt it will ever happen as it's not a particularly popular table.

Loved it. I also agree that it's probably a definite. I actually think most non-Data East non-movie/TVables are guarantees.

For instance, I do think Monopoly or Rollercoaster Tycoon would be pretty easy to license. I think the problem with movie tables is that you have to get actor permission, etc. There are a TON of possible problems.

AMUSIX

Got to chase down that elusive Carlene Carter license, though....

I have a Road Show, and I've got to admit, it's one of my most fun to play, something about that song kicking in fully just makes me grin, even though the song has NOTHING to do with anything on the table. That, and there's fun in seeing an earthquake destroy the country....

I went to the Pinball Cafe in Toronto and played some real actual pinball last night! What a blast.

The first thing I noticed is that the physics in this game aren't as accurate as people claim. Although they are great and I still like them very much.

The second thing I noticed is that the Addam's Family table isn't nearly as good as I thought it would be. I wonder if people are remembering it differently than it actually is because of nostalgia. I played it a couple times and then moved on to the other tables that I liked more. Anyways, I would still buy it or any other table for that matter... but now I know there are tons of tables I would rather have than that one. (although it would be a smart move for them due to the sales potential)

It's been years since I've played that Addam's Family table, but here's my $0.02

I didn't love the table for it's layout or design. I loved it for it's sound design and lights. The voice samples from the movie are great, this thing has to be played loud. Also, I ALWAYS activated the flippers in time with the "finger snaps" of the Addam's Family theme.

Kind of a stupid reason to love a pinball machine, but that's what I got out of it.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
It's been years since I've played that Addam's Family table, but here's my $0.02

I didn't love the table for it's layout or design. I loved it for it's sound design and lights. The voice samples from the movie are great, this thing has to be played loud. Also, I ALWAYS activated the flippers in time with the "finger snaps" of the Addam's Family theme.

Kind of a stupid reason to love a pinball machine, but that's what I got out of it.

It's just a really charming and novel machine. The "Thing Flipper" is a ton of fun, the voices and lights are great, the design and theming is consistent. The mansion tour mode at the end is loud and crazy. It's just a fun machine, and if it comes down to popping a few bucks in one as opposed to owning one, it's a no brainer.

I see this thread and I'm instantly compelled to play some more of this - really glad I purchased.

Perfect for some small blasts of gaming (which inevitably turn into hours).

shame I suck at Black Hole though.

I popped in the Williams Collection disc for PS3 over the weekend after playing this and was actually kinda disappointed to see so many things in it that Pinball Arcade doesn't have. The flippers are way more responsive and faster and the plunger pulls back nice and smooth, more camera options, a nice playfield pan at the start... the DMDs also seem to be less "fudgy," and even quicker--makes it seem almost like they have some kinda blur filter on the Pinball Arcade. I also miss being able to poke around the "virtual arcade" like we could in the old game. That is to say nothing of the challenge mode (which I suppose just has yet to be implemented).

On the other hand, PA's physics blow the old game away, and the HDR lighting is like a revelation compared to the William's collection. The tables also seem more oddly constructed in the old game, and are much improved in PA.

PA occupies kind of a weird space right now, I guess... not quite "beta" software but still notably janky in certain aspects. If there's any game that can only benefit from continued updates it's this. I just pray they put the support behind it that it needs going forward to really surpass Williams Collection.

Yeah, like I said, I really miss the ability to zoom in on the plunger, especially for Arabian Nights' skill shot. And I also agree with the plunger animation and the matrix display being blurry. Not sure why that is. I don't really miss the virtual arcade though, don't miss the waiting for the back room or upstairs to load. But I still really do enjoy PA. I've become so addicted to these video pinball games over the last two years, can't enough of them.

In what way aren't they accurate? Keep in mind that the slope of the machine is adjustable by the owner on physical pinball machines, so that alone could make a game not feel the same.

BTW, HOORAY! IOS version finally updated, so us iPad 3 owners can play the game again, as well as download the new tables!

J0dy77

They must have heard our bitching!!! Pinball arcade iOS update available for download. FINALLY!!!!

Medieval Madness is free all month and the April pack is available for $4.99 for MM and Bride of Pinbot. SOLD!

TxdoHawk

New update isn't working for me (Retina iPad). Downloads, installs...and then reverts to the old icon, launching it runs the old version. D'oh.

Try deleting the old app and then downloading the update (it makes you redownload all the tables anyways, so there's no downside to this)

TxdoHawk

Try deleting the old app and then downloading the update (it makes you redownload all the tables anyways, so there's no downside to this)

Yeah, tried that and it didn't work either. Trying a delete, hard reset, then download now.

Edit: Okay, now I'm half-fixed, speed is normal for the games and I can see the new tables but my menus are still goofy. Let's see if a reset fixes that...

Edit 2: Nope, oh well, don't care now that the actual playing of tables is fixed.

Agent X

Gold Member
I popped in the Williams Collection disc for PS3 over the weekend after playing this and was actually kinda disappointed to see so many things in it that Pinball Arcade doesn't have. The flippers are way more responsive and faster and the plunger pulls back nice and smooth, more camera options, a nice playfield pan at the start... the DMDs also seem to be less "fudgy," and even quicker--makes it seem almost like they have some kinda blur filter on the Pinball Arcade.

Do the flippers feel laggy to you on PS3? They do to me, as well as to one of my friends. I don't experience the lag with the Vita or Android versions of Pinball Arcade, or with other pinball games on the PS3 and Wii. My friend also doesn't get the lag on his Vita or Xbox 360, or with other pinball games on his PS3 and Xbox 360.

Bebpo

Banned
I know someone was claiming there was lag in the X360 version, and now someone claiming it in the PS3 version; and plenty of people not noticing it in either.

hmmm...if there is any lag in the console versions, it's got to be miniscule. I looked for it (PS3) and didn't notice it. But I will say the tables feel a little "off" compared to Williams HoF. My scores on TOTAN are nowhere near what they were on Williams.

Minsc

Gold Member
hmmm...if there is any lag in the console versions, it's got to be miniscule. I looked for it (PS3) and didn't notice it. But I will say the tables feel a little "off" compared to Williams HoF. My scores on TOTAN are nowhere near what they were on Williams.

They said they have improved the physics from the Williams' game... so it should be a bit different I'd think (as would be all the table re-releases).

New update being out is good news. Going to grab the tables now. Hopefully they bump up the app over 20MB soon. I read they were restricting the amount of menu music / backgrounds to keep it under 20MB for 3G downloading, but that's been increased to 50MB and I'm not sure they're aware of it lol.

Agent X

Gold Member
They said they have improved the physics from the Williams' game... so it should be a bit different I'd think (as would be all the table re-releases).

The problem is that the PS3 version of Pinball Arcade is significantly laggier than the other versions of Pinball Arcade. The flipper response is off by several frames (I'd estimate anywhere from 5 to 10), enough to be visibly noticeable and a distraction to gameplay.

PS Vita--quick and responsive.
Android--quick and responsive.
Xbox 360--quick and responsive.
PS3--slow and laggy.

I've also got several other pinball games which I play on the same TV (Zen Pinball for PS3, Marvel Pinball for PS3, Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection for Wii), and there's no perceptible lag. My friend also has Zen Pinball & Marvel Pinball on PS3, and Pinball FX 2 on Xbox 360, and there are no problems with those games. He actually switched back and forth between the PS3 & Xbox 360 versions of Pinball Arcade on the same TV, and the difference was unmistakable.

There's also this thread on GameFAQs about the flipper lag in the PS3 game.

Shiv47

Yeah, I bought both console versions, and the flipper lag on ps3 drove me nuts, as it threw my timing off on multiple occasions. Hopefully it will get corrected at some point.

railGUN

Banned
So I heard iOS version was updated today for the new iPad, and I downloaded the free version to check it out. It played like shit, and I figured something wasn't right. I deleted and redownloaded, still shit, so I went to App Store (with it already downloaded) and sure enough there's an update for it - did the update and now it plays great. Not sure why the latest version isn't on the store, but yeah, anyone wanting to try this on the new iPad might experience this so if it doesn't seem right, check for the update.

Shaneus

It's great to have the new tables in (MM... oh yes) but they've tinkered with the physics a bit. Comparing MM to playing it IRL, this one seems a lot faster, like there's little weight to the ball. On the PAF.com forum someone echoed my sentiments, mentioning that play has been sped up across the board and isn't just because MM is a new table. I hope it's fixed because it just feels far too "light" and there's no real kick or impact when the ball collides with targets or the flippers :(

dkeane

Whenever I try to purchase the new tables I get an error. I've never had an app that has as many bugs as this game. Facebook login rarely works too. Have the update put out today. Sigh.

TxdoHawk

Bought Bride of Pin-Bot, having never played one before, only heard about it...and oh man, the clip where you activate her voice. Guarantee at least one programmer was slapped by his wife for that one. XD

Shearie

It's great to have the new tables in (MM... oh yes) but they've tinkered with the physics a bit. Comparing MM to playing it IRL, this one seems a lot faster, like there's little weight to the ball. On the PAF.com forum someone echoed my sentiments, mentioning that play has been sped up across the board and isn't just because MM is a new table. I hope it's fixed because it just feels far too "light" and there's no real kick or impact when the ball collides with targets or the flippers :(

I can't compare this game to the real tables but the physics for the iOS version feel improved over the older versions to me. The ball feels heavier and a little slower now even on the launch tables like ToM.

Edit: Actually, the more I play ToM, it gets harder to tell if there really are changes to the physics or if it's just the placebo effect working its magic on me.

Shaneus

I can't compare this game to the real tables but the physics for the iOS version feel improved over the older versions to me. The ball feels heavier and a little slower now even on the launch tables like ToM.

Edit: Actually, the more I play ToM, it gets harder to tell if there really are changes to the physics or if it's just the placebo effect working its magic on me.
I gave BoP a shot and it feels (to me) a lot better than MM does. I didn't give ToM a go but I'll give them a crack so I can offer an actual worthwhile opinion ;) But I did read that BoP felt a lot heavier than the other tables on pinballarcadefans so maybe it's like with XBLA where only one or two tables get updated with a newer engine while the others don't.

That reminds me, anyone else think BoP looks infinitely better than MM? Lighting is way better, I think.

Plinko

Twilight Zone would be so sweet. I really hope we get Whitewater too.

That should be a definite. Fish Tales was from around that time as well, which I'd like.

I know someone was claiming there was lag in the X360 version, and now someone claiming it in the PS3 version; and plenty of people not noticing it in either.

I don't notice any flipper delay with the PS3 version either. I do think the ball physics are drastically different compared to the Williams collection and so the tables play quite different. I've adjusted to it after several plays.

ToxicAdam

Yea, the BoP high scores seem a bit wonky. I posted a 15million score and it put my score at first and third. Now the second place score is 16 million. Heh

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I got this on 360 and really love it. I'll probably get it on Vita and maybe PC too eventually. I've been spending almost all of my time so far with Theater of Magic. I've never played this one in real life but it's easily one of my favourite tables of all time. I love it so much it's seriously made me consider hunting one down in real life, buttons to the cost. People can go without food for a few months right? No matter how much I play it I can't help think of how much more amazing it would be if it were real.

I have a problem, someone help :(

Bebpo

Banned
You can get pinball tables at reasonably cheap prices at arcade auctions. Or at least you used to. My dad picked up a Pinbot table for <$500 in the 90s. Was awesome to play it, but maintainence is crazy on old pinball tables. Things were breaking all the time and it wasn't worth the cost to keep fixing it so eventually it ended up going to charity.

Was awesome reliving the table through Williams Hall of Fame Collection. Can't wait to play Bride of Pinbot here.

railGUN

Banned
Can anyone tell me what the .99 cent iOS version comes with? How is it different than the free version?

Edit: never mind, it comes with Tales of Arabian Nights.

Shearie

This game is filled with too many annoying bugs for me. Not only bugs but people on the Pinball Arcade Fans forum are even saying that the layout of MM is a little screwed up with the flippers being too far apart. I think I'm gonna hold off on buying any more tables for this game until I see it cleaned up some.

ToxicAdam

Yea, the table seems a shade too wide and the ball comes down too fast off the dragon ramp. Also, the game will hang up sometimes after the last ball. You have to quit and your score doesn't get posted.

I stil don't regret the purchase.

surly

Banned
I got this on 360 and really love it. I'll probably get it on Vita and maybe PC too eventually. I've been spending almost all of my time so far with Theater of Magic. I've never played this one in real life but it's easily one of my favourite tables of all time. I love it so much it's seriously made me consider hunting one down in real life, buttons to the cost. People can go without food for a few months right? No matter how much I play it I can't help think of how much more amazing it would be if it were real.

I have a problem, someone help :(
lol, I'm exactly the same way.

I've been watching video clips on YouTube of people playing the real table and looking around on eBay and the like to see how much one costs. Realistically though, I can't afford it right now and I have no space for it, but one day maybe.

Top Bottom