• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

blurrygil

I broke 330M in Twilight Zone tonight.

I think I'm getting there...

God I suck at TZ.

But I'm kicking ass at ST:TNG! 3rd game ever I hit double wizard modes (Final Frontier?). I wish I had access to a regular machine growing up. Loved it and love it more now I can really sink my teeth into it.

joeblow

I've been putting a bit of time into Dr. Dude on the PS3 and am really enjoying its flow. So far my best has cracked the top 100 on the leader boards, and I think with more practice I can slip into the top 20.

And a gentle reminder to all that The Pinball Arcade will be free to PS+ members sometime this month. It will likely mean there will be table discounts as well.

For as much as I complained about how hard Star Trek was when I first started playing it (oh, that left outlane!) I think it was the first table that I got all the Wizard goals on. Which is kind of a bummer, because now I don't want to play it.

joeblow

Have you completed all in-game missions? That is what I strive for when I want to "beat" a table. Trying to move up in the leader boards is motivating too, as is trying to leap frog people on the friend's list.

blurrygil

Have you completed all in-game missions? That is what I strive for when I want to "beat" a table. Trying to move up in the leader boards is motivating too, as is trying to leap frog people on the friend's list.

Friend's list is my main thing. But I only have 2 others that play TPA.

But definitely trying to reach a table's wizard mode is the biggest thing for me. For STTNG, I think it could use a mission or two more. :)

depths20XX

Hey would you add me on your friends list? You seem to play a lot and no one else on my friends list really plays the tables anymore.

Anyone else who wants to add me can as well.

PSN: Depth-Charge-

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
For as much as I complained about how hard Star Trek was when I first started playing it (oh, that left outlane!) I think it was the first table that I got all the Wizard goals on. Which is kind of a bummer, because now I don't want to play it.
The closest I am to a completed wizard goal set is in No Good Gofers. 4/5 wizard goals, just need a double jackpot.

Hey would you add me on your friends list? You seem to play a lot and no one else on my friends list really plays the tables anymore.

Anyone else who wants to add me can as well.

PSN: Depth-Charge-

I'll be sure to add anyone on PSN! :D

PM me for my PSN ID.

I'm always down for more PA players on my friends list. PSN is ParallaxScroll. I haven't played much recently but I'm getting back into it for Dr. Dude.

ascii42

Finally rescued the princess in Arabian Nights. Harem multiball is the only standard goal I have left. I guess I'll try for that next.

Shaneus

I need the 200K skill shot to complete the standard goals on that one.
Do you know which ramp it is to shoot for? When playing it, obviously keep shooting the left one to bring up multiball, but if the ball lands on the left flipper, keep practicing at that skill shot ramp (that puts the ball on the right flipper anyway, leaving you to shoot the ramp that advances the main Bride mode). That way, when you've made the final stage of it, when the balls drop down from that ramp lock to the left hand side, you should be able to make it without too many problems.

The table design of that is great, it looks good on all versions of PA, but it only ever involves hitting two ramps :/ Such a waste, worst ruleset ever.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Do you know which ramp it is to shoot for? When playing it, obviously keep shooting the left one to bring up multiball, but if the ball lands on the left flipper, keep practicing at that skill shot ramp (that puts the ball on the right flipper anyway, leaving you to shoot the ramp that advances the main Bride mode). That way, when you've made the final stage of it, when the balls drop down from that ramp lock to the left hand side, you should be able to make it without too many problems.

The table design of that is great, it looks good on all versions of PA, but it only ever involves hitting two ramps :/ Such a waste, worst ruleset ever.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it next time. Getting that extra ball in Cirqus Voltaire is getting frustrating, I wish my game didn't big out on me when I had that completed.

Shaneus

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it next time. Getting that extra ball in Cirqus Voltaire is getting frustrating, I wish my game didn't big out on me when I had that completed.
No problem! There are a number of games I need to put more time into, that being one of them. I don't know if it's the theme or the table layout, but I just don't have a lot of fun with it. More than anything, I think I need to just focus on getting the wizard goals for each table, because then at least I'll have a fair understanding of the rules of most of the tables. Some are easy (AfM, MM, Shuttle, FP, BoP) but others (TZ, Gofers, CV and to a lesser extent, ToM) I'm mostly clueless on.

Need to finds me some rulesheets to read when I'm not playing.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Does anyone know if the PS3 and Vita versions support cross-saves? I find Firepower easier to play on the PS3 version for some reason, and I want to sync my trophies and saves.

Shaneus

That's a really good question... I honestly have no idea. PAF would be your best bet though, they have dedicated sub-forums for both Vita and PS3.

Shaneus

Good stuff! It's easy to get lost in there. Also good for a laugh with all the people who get overly upset (sometimes understandably so, though) at the bugs that happen with each release.

Make sure you check other areas as well, particularly the ones that discuss other pinball games, IRL pinball etc. There's some interesting stuff that goes on there.

Ocaso

Does anyone know if the PS3 and Vita versions support cross-saves? I find Firepower easier to play on the PS3 version for some reason, and I want to sync my trophies and saves.

They do not. They have separate saves and trophies. Vita version feels different from the console version as well. The ball seems to fly around the tables a bit more gingerly, I think.

I've played two whole games of Firepower on PS3 and already got a glitched ball. After the third ball drained the machine just sat there and did nothing. Fortunately I was able to tilt the machine so I could enter my initials, but I had to give up the end of ball bonus. GG Farsight. Keep on not testing anything ever.

I think it's fine that way. It'd be cool to have my scores for both, but the tables play differently on each. So I figure it's for the better.

This is one thing I don't like about universal leaderboards. The physics are different from one platform to another, on top of there being platform-specific glitches on certain tables. Comparing PS3 scores to ios/android scores on the same leaderboard is kind of dumb when often one version of the table is significantly easier than others.

Xbox leaderboard is completely separate from the others and I prefer it that way.

Even just having an option to filter by only the platform you're playing on would be nice.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
And suddenly Table Pack #12 with Cactus Canyon and Central Park is out on PSN for PS3 and Vita.

For what it's worth I'm seeing claims the pack's Vita build isn't trash ala Dr. Dude and runs well.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
AfM super jets? Ugh, on iOS at least, that was SUCH a pain in the arse. Felt like a wizard goal.

Then they fixed the bumpers :/
I still need to get that one.

The sand trap bonus in No Good Gofers is giving me problems. I got that one on a fluke and I'm clueless how to do it again.

And suddenly Table Pack #12 with Cactus Canyon and Central Park is out on PSN for PS3 and Vita.

For what it's worth I'm seeing claims the pack's Vita build isn't trash ala Dr. Dude and runs well.

It's mine once I get home. :)

Shaneus

What do you have to do for that? Just hit each ramp X times consecutively? Oh wait... isn't it in multiball?

PS. You don't like Taxi? Crikey. I don't know how anyone couldn't love it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Central Park is easy as hell. I barely put fifteen minutes in and got all the standard goals and 4/5 wizard goals. It's like it plays itself at times.

Cactus Canyon is a lot of fun. Shame that Bally ended the production run early, it could have had a 10,000 unit production run easy. Got 4/5 standard goals on that one.

Shaneus

I'm enjoying it, too. It's a shame the software was never polished, either. There's some great animation and art in it, but the lack of basically anything to do with a special "match" screen (amongst other minor things, I'm sure there are heaps) just makes it feel kind of half finished.

Would love to see someone do a fan update of that firmware to round off the edges.

What do you have to do for that? Just hit each ramp X times consecutively? Oh wait... isn't it in multiball?

PS. You don't like Taxi? Crikey. I don't know how anyone couldn't love it.

Its hitting both ramps simultaneously during multiball. I actually got it before, or at least I swear I saw it on bonus on the display but didn't unlock the Wizard Goal for it. Took me forever to get it again.

Its not necessarily a bad table, its just that the best way to score (just keep hitting the airport ramps until the million lights) is kind of a boring way of playing it. Picking up the passengers then getting the jackpot takes longer and is much riskier.

Central Park is easy as hell. I barely put fifteen minutes in and got all the standard goals and 4/5 wizard goals. It's like it plays itself at times.

Cactus Canyon is a lot of fun. Shame that Bally ended the production run early, it could have had a 10,000 unit production run easy. Got 4/5 standard goals on that one.

Fuck Central Park at its 1,000 points on one ball. Not happening. Not now, not never.

Fuck Central Park at its 1,000 points on one ball. Not happening. Not now, not never.

Already got it.
oLOKP1q.gif

blurrygil

AfM super jets? Ugh, on iOS at least, that was SUCH a pain in the arse. Felt like a wizard goal.

Then they fixed the bumpers :/

Haha I have to agree with this, from the PSN perspective. Pretty frustrating the number of times I've to >10 hits to go only to drain out. GAHHHHHHH!!

blurrygil

It's fixed on iOS but I think it's the same problem that the jets don't bounce the ball hard enough. You're lucky to get 2 hits on the jets each time the ball goes up there.

Yeah it's likely they just have the field level too far forward, which makes sense for such a fast-paced table.

It's fixed on iOS but I think it's the same problem that the jets don't bounce the ball hard enough. You're lucky to get 2 hits on the jets each time the ball goes up there.

I didn't find super jets that tough to get on PS3, but I haven't played a real AfM machine so I don't know, maybe they're supposed to be bouncier.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Standard goal set #12 (Cactus Canyon) complete.

The default local high scores on that table are rediculous. 800M? lol, I had trouble getting to 25M!

Top Bottom