• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The polygons game, the more the merrier.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43975

i love those guys. :lol

Gears of War, Xbox 360, 2006
Wretch - 10,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps
Boomer - 11,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps
Marcus - 15,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps

GTA San Andreas, PS2, 2004
Characters - 2,000 polygons with 1 256×256 8bit texture
NPCs - 1,200 polygons with 1 256×128 8bit texture

Halflife 2, PC, 2004
Alyx Vance - 8323 polygons
Barney - 5922 polygons
Combine Soldier - 4682 polygons
Classic Headcrab - 1690 polygons
SMG - 2854 polygons (with arms)
Pistol - 2268 polygons (with arms)

Halo, Xbox, 2001
Masterchief - 2,000 polygons

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, PS2, 2005 (Small mistake here, it's not on GC but PS2)
Snake - 4,000 polygons

Resident Evil 4, Gamecube, 2005
Leon - 10,000 polygons

Jak & Daxter, PS2, 2001
Jak - 4000 polygons

Jak II, PS2, 2003
Jak - 10,000 polygons*

Lost planet, X360/PC, 2007

Wayne - 12392 polygons (but finally 17765 polygons for compatibility with motion blur effect)
VS robot - 30-40K polygons
Background - ~500K polygons
Peak number of polygons per frame - ~ 3 million**

Dead Rising, X360, 2006

Peak number of polygons per frame - ~ 4 million**

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, GC, 2002

Link - 2800 polygons

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, GC/Wii, 2006

Link - 6900 polygons

Super Mario Sunshine, GC, 2002
Mario - 1500 polygons
Levels - ~ 60k polygons

Dead or Alive series, Xbox, 2001-2004
Character - ~10k

Vitua Fighter 5, Arcade/PS3/X360, 2006
Character - ~40k with diffuse, specular and normal maps
Background - 100K - 300K polygons

Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, PC, 2002
Character - 4096 polygons

Project Gotham Racing 3, X360, 2005
Cars - 80K-100K polygons (interior + exterior), damages add between 10K and 20K more polygons per car

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, PS3, 2007
Cars - 200K polygons (probably interior + exterior)

Midnight Club, Xbox360/PS3, 2007
Cars - 100K polygons

Gran Turismo 3, PS2, 2001

Cars - ~2K-4K polygons

Gran Turismo 4, PS2, 2004
Cars - ~2k-5K polygons

Lair, PS3, 2007
Main dragon plus its rider - 150K polygons
16x16KM scene - 134M polygons (streamed into memory, not loaded at run time)

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, PS3, 2007
Drake - ~30k polygons
Enemies/Pirates - ~12-15k polygons

Crysis, PC, 2007

Nano-suit character - 67,000 polygons (uncretain whether it's an in-game model or not)*
Characters' heads - ~2500-3000 polygons
Characters' bodies - ~5000 polygons

So in theory, GT5 should at least looks 50 times better than GT4.

Bildi

Polygans.jpg

ITA84

sleeping_dragon said:
the ps2 is pretty good at pushing polygons as well. check out the Jak series.

Well, the foot note for Jak II says "Might be a cut-scene model", but I guess it's still impressive.

Antagon

If I remember right star destroyers in rogue squadron 3 have over 100k polygons. Pretty amazing number IMO.

gcfan2k5

Antagon said:
If I remember right star destroyers in rogue squadron 3 have over 100k polygons. Pretty amazing number IMO.

~144k according to the rogue squadron 2 commentary, id assume they used the same model and upgraded the textures and bumpmaps like most of the reused craft for 3.

Polygon wise, very little could touch rebel strike, even fewer games could touch it doing more than 2 or 3 effects (rebel strike did 8). Impressive indeed.

Also, i believe the Tie fighter was 10 thousand polys, and the X-wing was 28k in Rogue Squadron 2, and in Rogue Squadron 3 you could have over 50 on screen at once depending on the situation....

Lobster

Banned
dalin80 said:
so in theory the gt series has gone from-

sub 1k polys > 3k polys > 200K polys

impressive progression.

Pretty amazing when the Ps2 versions still look pretty awesome.

Really interesting article.

Alyx Vance uses less polys than the average fighter in DOA3 on Xbox.
Alyx.jpg

More proof (as if it was needed) that texture work means more to graphical fidelity than polycount does.

Xater

MrNyarlathotep said:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/e/e9/Alyx.jpg[img]

More proof (as if it was needed) that texture work means more to graphical fidelity than polycount does.[/QUOTE]

An the polycount of the Gt3 and 4 cars were no indication that polycount means (almost) nothing?

FightyF

Banned
MrNyarlathotep said:

More proof (as if it was needed) that texture work means more to graphical fidelity than polycount does.

Exactly. There are definite diminishing returns when it comes to polycount. Other factors are more of a concern. Animation, image and texture IQ, and a proper implementation of lighting, reflections, etc.

Ceb

Compare Alyx to a combine soldier. Most of those extra polys probably went into her face, being the part of the model that's really impressive.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
MrNyarlathotep said:

DOA fighters have textures?

Zoc

I'm impressed at Leon in RE4. I heard that the GC version had a different model for the cutscenes, though...?

klee123

Zoc said:
I'm impressed at Leon in RE4. I heard that the GC version had a different model for the cutscenes, though...?

It should be, I doubt the gameplay model of Leon would have the same facial detail as his Cutscene counterpart.

All I know is that the PS2 version of Leon was downgraded servely. Especially the face and the hair.

Goes to show it's not just polygons, textures, or effects, but rather where and when thy are being used. Clever use of the technology mixed with great art direction is the way forward.

Dunno what sort of poly counts were used with Panzer Dragoon Orta, but that game, for me, features the best blend of art and technology for the last generation.

rubso

Banned
I heard that Mass Effect has more than 40k poly per character? sheppard model is about 20k-25k poly.
but hey, how do i count polygons!? >.>

just like one great developer once said - is a balancing act, you need have the right amount of geometry and texture to convey the vision of where your game is heading.

ex0du5

Banned
Alyx is still, to me, by far the most impressive and realistic character I've seen in a video game (especially with HDR in Episode One). Great character design, textures, and amazing facial animation. Couple that with a great voice actress, and you've got one very realistic and believable character.

Whatever you might think about the games themselves, Jak II & 3 benefited from one of the best graphics engines on the PS2, and possibly one of the best of that gen.

ex0du5 said:
Alyx is still, to me, by far the most impressive and realistic character I've seen in a video game (especially with HDR in Episode One). Great character design, textures, and amazing facial animation. Couple that with a great voice actress, and you've got one very realistic and believable character.

I've never been more emotionally attached to a character in a video game, ever. HL2 spoiler
When she puts her hand on the glass door to the elevator, my heart sank a little

Crushed

Fry Daddy
RiskyChris said:
I've never been more emotionally attached to a character in a video game, ever. HL2 spoiler
When she puts her hand on the glass door to the elevator, my heart sank a little
From Episode One, right? That part was genuinely sad, because you could feel how upset she was, because she knew she couldn't help. :(

bigmakstudios said:
hm... I wonder how many there are in Super Mario Galaxy. also... metroid prime 1 and 2 vs 3.
I really doubt Mario himself has too many more polygons. He's pretty much hit his perfect rendition from a modelling standpoint with the Sunshine model.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
bigmakstudios said:
hm... I wonder how many there are in Super Mario Galaxy. also... metroid prime 1 and 2 vs 3.
I don't think there'd be that big of a leap. I think the Prime games especially had more of a leap in textures and lighting than polygon counts.

46d6d81579bbf355672184.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041014045641487.jpg

46d73979149f0313423289.jpg

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
From Episode One, right? That part was genuinely sad, because you could feel how upset she was, because she knew she couldn't help. :(

Yea. That is one of the few "moments" in videogames that has been burned into my memory. Her tone sank during the conversation before and the look on her face was sad as hell. Also, the part on the train when she was scared.

:(

My favorite game character by far.

sleeping_dragon said:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43975

i love those guys. :lol

Gears of War, Xbox 360, 2006
Wretch - 10,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps
Boomer - 11,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps
Marcus - 15,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps

That is just simply amazing! To think that these guys have the same polygon count as Leon in RE4 GCN!

I think that the TP Link Model deserves some good respect as well, looks amazing considering that it's only 6000 polys or so! BTW The TP
Ganondorf
model is only around 4250 polygons, now THAT is amazing!!!

Top Bottom