• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The polygons game, the more the merrier.

bosx2 said:
can someone tell whats the polycount on those games are?

Tekken tag/4/5
Primal

screen01.jpg

tek4ps2_13.jpg

tekken5ps2-4.jpg

primal4b.jpg
Download the PCSX2 emulator and try them out yourself if you have them (and a fast computer). It displays the number of polygons rendered per frame at the top. Tekken Tag and Tekken 4 are both fully playable in the latest version. Not sure about Primal, its listed as "ingame" in the compatability list.
EDIT: Or you can look through the screenshots in the compatability list, the Tekken Tag screenshot shows ~32k polygons per frame while the Tekken 4 screens are ~12k and 18k. The Tekken 5 shots are 15k but the emulator isn't rendering the character models apparently.

Ether_Snake said:
It's not that it sounds unrealistic, it's just not the best way to mention how many triangles a game was drawing on screen at once. Someone said "Dead Rising = 120 million" and seeing that I replied "No" but yeah per second would be true. It's just I'm used to use per-frame not seconds:)
Normally, you use per second to describe polygon performance of an engine. Per frame number could vary wildly depending on where the camera is facing.

Also, per frame =/ total amount of triangles or (polys) in a scene.

For instance, Lair's "16x16KM scene - 134M polygons (streamed into memory, not loaded at run time)" refers to total amount of polygons in a 16x16 Kilometer game area (or a scene if you will), not amount of polygons the engine will render in a frame.

I remember for some reason Retro Studios wasn't allowed to disclose the amount of polygons in Metroid Prime. Anyone have an idea about the polygon count for the Samus model?

ON Killzone 2:
IF a single charicter has more polys than a whole levle in the origonal (A dev said more polys in the face of a KZ2 charicter than in a whole killzone (1) level in some interview I heard recently) I would say maby 60 to 100 Thousand Polys/ Charicter.......

danwarb

liquidspeed said:
ON Killzone 2:
IF a single charicter has more polys than a whole levle in the origonal (A dev said more polys in the face of a KZ2 charicter than in a whole killzone (1) level in some interview I heard recently) I would say maby 60 to 100 Thousand Polys/ Charicter.......
I think a more realistic estimate would be ~15-20k for the character models in KZ2.

Yoboman

The interesting thing about Jak 2 is that while Jak's model was high in polys itself, each of the NPCs were some huge number too ands there'd be over 20 onscreen at times. Plus the world itself had massive polygon complexity

liquidspeed said:
ON Killzone 2:

i heard killzone 1 pushesd 50 millions polys per second?!

danwarb said:
I think a more realistic estimate would be ~15-20k for the character models in KZ2.
Ummmm almost definatly more than that........ 11-15 k is the standard for Gears Charicter Modles, but they have Tons of Normal mapping going on. KZ2 is pushing an insane amount of polys..... I Mean a whole level's (From the ps2 origonal) worth of polys just in teh frickin face......

+ 60K per modle isnt that farfeched..... Gt5 USes ~200K per car + 16 cars on screen = ~3.5 Million Triangles just for cars and thats at 60 Fps at 1080P..

KZ2 runs 720P and 30 fps, so half the frame rate means that there is At least potential for 2x the triangles on screen. NOw I realize that Killzone has Tons of Lighting and post processing effects going on, but So does GT5...

Ill ask MOtherH and maby He'll give me a more difinitive answer

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
draggoon01 said:
how many polygons do movie cgi characters use?

pixar, transformers, spiderman, etc
Transformers movie polygon counts:

Megatron: 433,949
Optimus Prime: 1,830,898
Bumblebee: 1,511,727

All Autobots Combined: 7,435,478
All Robots Combined: 12,509,502

The more insane numbers with Transformers are the rigging nodes and textures. Bumblebee's rig alone consists of 19,722 nodes. Bumblebee alone has 8,094 texture maps.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think that the TP Link Model deserves some good respect as well, looks amazing considering that it's only 6000 polys or so! BTW The TP Ganondorf model is only around 4250 polygons, now THAT is amazing!!!
Actually, that number seemed somewhat high to me as the Link model looks very ragged around the edges. The textures used were also fairly low resolution.

Crysis, PC, 2007
Nano-suit character - 67,000 polygons (uncretain whether it's an in-game model or not)*
Characters' heads - ~2500-3000 polygons
Characters' bodies - ~5000 polygons

sleeping_dragon said:
Crysis, PC, 2007
Nano-suit character - 67,000 polygons (uncretain whether it's an in-game model or not)*
Characters' heads - ~2500-3000 polygons
Characters' bodies - ~5000 polygons

Good grief.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
dirtmonkey37 said:
I know his mustache has about 2000 polys.

I say this because Kojima mentioned, in one of the earliest video demonstrations of MGS4 that Snake's mustache alone has as many polygons as the patrolling-guard-models in MGS3.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I'd like to know how much, and other should have asked this earlier, how many polys Conker: Live and Reloaded is pushing.

That game is, hands-down, the best looking game (technically) game of the last generation.

Probably not that many, Conker was impressive for its textures/shaders not its geometry. It also runs at only 30 fps so the polygons per second benchmark wouldn't be that high.

LCGeek

formerly sane
dirtmonkey37 said:
I'd like to know how much, and other should have asked this earlier, how many polys Conker: Live and Reloaded is pushing.

That game is, hands-down, the best looking game (technically) game of the last generation.

No it's not

It's looks great but the environments were small the geometry is low, lighting isn't equal to some of xbox's best let alone gc's, best and it runs at 30fps.

Eiji

nincompoop said:
the Tekken Tag screenshot shows ~32k polygons per frame while the Tekken 4 screens are ~12k and 18k. The Tekken 5 shots are 15k but the emulator isn't rendering the character models apparently.

I always did think TTT pushed more polys than T4 and T5. Even though the characters aren't being rendered in T5 under PCSX2 I'm sure the poly count would still be under 32,000.

Eiji said:
I always did think TTT pushed more polys than T4 and T5. Even though the characters aren't being rendered in T5 under PCSX2 I'm sure the poly count would still be under 32,000.
Well keep in mind that some stages and characters have more geometry than others, and the amount of geometry on screen can vary greatly even within a stage depending on the camera positioning. So while those screenshots give you some idea of how many polygons the games are pushing you can't really say that one game is pushing more polygons than the other unless you run the games on the emulator yourself and keep track of the average/max/min number of polys in each stage, with each character. But to do this would be extremely time consuming since the emulator runs slow on even a high end PC, never mind on my shitbox Pentium D.

xabre

Banned
In retrospect compare the graphics cabapilities of Xbox, GC and PS2.

Do both Xbox and GC excel over the other in different areas? Which has the overall advantage? They both technically shit on the PS2 right?

Sharp

Earthstrike said:
A dodecahedron has twice as many faces as a cube.
"Polygons" are really triangles (thanks, convention)! So a cube is made of 6 faces with four sides each (2 triangles each / 12 polygons) and a dodecahedron is made of 12 faces with 5 sides each (3 triangles each / 36 polygons). Is just math!

camineet

Banned
going off memory Tekken Tag on PS2 used 10,000 polys per character model.

Tekken 4 dropped this down to well *less* than 10,000 polys per model.

Though I have no idea how many total polys per frame for either.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Sharp said:
"Polygons" are really triangles (thanks, convention)! So a cube is made of 6 faces with four sides each (2 triangles each / 12 polygons) and a dodecahedron is made of 12 faces with 5 sides each (3 triangles each / 36 polygons). Is just math!

They're triangles in games. (except on some PowerVR boards?) But some 3D packages have made heavy use of quads and moderate use of five or more sides.

Sjoerd

liquidspeed said:
+ 60K per modle isnt that farfeched..... Gt5 USes ~200K per car + 16 cars on screen = ~3.5 Million Triangles just for cars and thats at 60 Fps at 1080P..

Impressive, but keep in mind that the game never has to render all 16 cars with that amount of poly's.

Still. GT5 just might get me to buy a ps3 if it lives up to half of what it is promising to be!

Baryn

Banned
Polygon counts are probably the least important factor in 3D visuals. Polygons help, but in general it's all about textures and lighting.

Top Bottom