• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Predator is the Ultimate Space Dickhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

As always happens, the fact that the preds were on Earth for a hunting trip in two movies means their entire civilization is therefore based around hunting and honour. I want to see the Predators for the Ethical Treatment of Aliens show up in the next film and ruin the hunter's cloak by splashing it with fake xeno blood.

No. Star Trek has taught me that all alien races other than humans are monocultures who outcast anyone who doesn't conform to social norms.

I think the Predator gives a small sporting chance to his prey. He doesn't deliberately put himself at a severe disadvantage, but neither does he "perform the interplanetary equivalent of hunting a deer with a rocket launcher."

I mean, yes, he has a lot of technological advantages. He has his cloak. He has his shoulder cannon. And he's big and strong physically. But you'll notice that in the first movie, he's taking on, basically, the entire Colombian guerrilla army, Jim Hopper's Green Beret squad, and Dutch's rescue squad. That's a lot of firepower for one individual to take on. The Predator needs his technological advantage to survive against numbers.

Once it's down to just Dutch and the Predator, mano a mano, he drops his helmet and shoulder cannon. Yes, he's still got his wristblades, but it's not like Dutch couldn't find some tree branch or sharp stick in the jungle to use as well. It's not even, but it's about as practically even as the Predator could make it without getting goofy and bending over backwards like tying a blindfold around his eyes and one arm behind his back. It's still a sporting chance.

Yeah in the EU only the weakest predators use the laser gun and stealth. The best ones only fight with the wrist blade thing, for what it's worth.

I think a lot depends on the specific adversary. They're much more likely to fight with only melee weapons against the xenomorphs (Though they use acid blood-resistant weapons, which the AvP movie fucked up). Against humans with guns, it seems more likely to warrant use of the shoulder cannon, since they don't want to cede the range advantage.

ezekial45

Banned
I highly recommend you guys try out the Alien Vs Predator arcade game. It's badass. You get to play as both the Predator 1 and 2 incarnations, along with a clone of Arnold Schwarzenegger's character Dutch who uses a bionic arm, and also a Ninja Cop. But of course, the Predators are easily the best characters.

AvP_arcade_gameplay.png

1105682-gfs_36905_2_21_mid.jpg

alienvspredator.jpg

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
the first two movies they were all that you described. But after that it was like they either became sympathetic and started having samurai duels (WTF WERE YOU SMOKING DIRECTOR) or they were taking beefcake 5000 and getting slow like in AvP...ugh

but yes the first 2 Predator films...dick heads...with a code of honor but dick heads none the less

Toxi

Banned
As always happens, the fact that the preds were on Earth for a hunting trip in two movies means their entire civilization is therefore based around hunting and honour. I want to see the Predators for the Ethical Treatment of Aliens show up in the next film and ruin the hunter's cloak by splashing it with fake xeno blood.
It's the same sort of shit you see in the Star Wars EU.

Boba Fett is a bounty hunter who wears Mandalorian armor? Mandalorians often work as bounty hunters.

Luke comes up with a unique strategy to take out the AT-AT by tow-cabling the legs? An imperial realized the obvious crippling weakness of the AT-AT walker was tow-cabling the legs before it ever happened.

Han Solo is a Corellian scoundrel? Corellians are scoundrels.

The bad force user is named Darth Vader? Even though it's treated like a first name in the original trilogy, suddenly every bad force user is Darth something.

entremet

I highly recommend you guys try out the Alien Vs Predator arcade game. It's badass. You get to play as both the Predator 1 and 2 incarnations, along with a clone of Arnold Schwarzenegger's character Dutch who uses a bionic arm, and also a Ninja Cop. But of course, the Predators are easily the best characters.
Lynn Kurosawa for life!

A_Gorilla

Banned
Still waiting for female preds to show up in a film:

broom-female-predators-sample.jpg

female-predator.jpg

Don't ask me why a reptilian/insectoid race has boobs, just roll with it

Ugh. Reminds me of when I used to visit Planet AvP. Back when Planet Quake and Planet Unreal were things on the interweb. They'd accept user-submitted fan art. And I swear, just about every 3rd or 4th art submission was some scummy Rule 34.

Toxi

Banned
Once it's down to just Dutch and the Predator, mano a mano, he drops his helmet and shoulder cannon. Yes, he's still got his wristblades, but it's not like Dutch couldn't find some tree branch or sharp stick in the jungle to use as well. It's not even, but it's about as practically even as the Predator could make it without getting goofy and bending over backwards like tying a blindfold around his eyes and one arm behind his back. It's still a sporting chance.
"Let's fight mano a mano. I'll use a sword, you can hopefully find a big stick or something while I try to hack you to pieces. Oh, and if you win, I'll nuke you because I'm a sore loser."

Although didn't the Predator drop the wrist blade before the fight?

"Let's fight mano a mano. I'll use a sword, you can hopefully find a big stick or something. Oh, and if you win, I'll nuke you because I'm a sore loser."

It's not cause he's a sore loser though. I've already gone over the reason.

Although didn't the Predator drop the wrist blade before the fight?

I just checked the movie. The Predator keeps them on, but they're retracted, so for all intents and purposes he doesn't use em. He just punches.

DiscoJer

I always thought the nuke they carry to use when defeated was so as to eliminate their gear,

Okay, maybe partially out of spite, but if humans had Predator gear, it would be a much more even fight. Indeed, that's really how Danny Glover beat one.

Are those comics worth reading?

Some of em, yeah. The first story in the series is about the Japanese woman teaming up with the Predator and it's really good.

The regular Predator comics are good too. The first story in that series is basically Predator 2, but with Dutch's equally macho, roided out brother in the role of Danny Glover.

Best Predator comic is Batman vs Predator though:

be9kZqx.jpg

so... they're the actual Republicans in space?

"I have a right to hunt anything with any weapon I damn well choose! And if I go down, I'm nuking them all! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" *boom*

while the rest of their civilization looks on and shakes their heads trying to get policies to ban that shit past the senate.

huh. Why didn't I ever think of that?
also gives a new twist to hunting accidents (you know who). "...anytime..."

akira28

these and the first two PC computer games (AVP) are the only things that were worth a damn that came from the merging of the Alien and Predator franchises. The comics are great. Female protagonists, weird looks at Predator culture, strange honor codes, nice clean B&W art.

akira28

Female predators hunt the galaxy in search of sexual conquest, while their male counterparts go around collecting alien skulls.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Ugh. Reminds me of when I used to visit Planet AvP. Back when Planet Quake and Planet Unreal were things on the interweb. They'd accept user-submitted fan art. And I swear, just about every 3rd or 4th art submission was some scummy Rule 34.

The first one isn't fanart, it was actual concept art for the movie Predators.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Well he died hunting his prey so maybe he should have brought an even bigger rocket launcher.

Parch

The comics are great. Female protagonists, weird looks at Predator culture, strange honor codes, nice clean B&W art.
Which Predator comics were B&W? Everything I've seen was color.
The early Predator comics from Dark Horse (late 80's early 90's) are pretty crappy. The late 90's stuff is good. The 4th omnibus is really good.

Syriel

The first series (that cover is Issue 4) is WELL worth it.

Later ones vary in quality from decent to excellent, but the original is just fantastic.

Don't let the AvP movies color your impressions. If you missed the original AvP comic run when it first came out (or were simply too young to catch it) track it down and give it a read.

No. Star Trek has taught me that all alien races other than humans are monocultures who outcast anyone who doesn't conform to social norms.
Ha, that's one crappy thing about Trek.

I mean, they try to change it up sometimes, usually by showing an internal struggle between the establishment and the new thinking (divided Romulans, divided Cardassians, divided Klingons, new-thinking Ferengis). The other crappy thing is that the dissenters always hold humanlike activities, which leads me to believe that sooner or later the galaxy will be homogenized. I guess that models what happens on Earth in real life.

I somewhat agree, I thought the whole honorable hunting thing the comics came up with didn't really connect all that well with what we saw in the movies. They are the ultimate sore losers.

What the movies showed as quirks of the individual Predators, the comics had to homogenize into the whole species.

Still waiting for female preds to show up in a film:

broom-female-predators-sample.jpg

female-predator.jpg

Don't ask me why a reptilian/insectoid race has boobs, just roll with it

Female Predators in the EU look like males just bigger.

It's even explained the reason they like hunting humans(and xenomorphs) is because there is a high possibility the Predator could be killed.

Jarmel

Banned

Didn't Robot Chicken already do a sketch like this?

Edit:Found it

Zoolader

Dammit I want to see a Predator movie starring Sylvester Stallone. He's still in great shape, an action movie star of that era, and I'm sure could pull of a successful reboot of the franchise.

Dammit I want to see a Predator movie starring Sylvester Stallone. He's still in great shape, an action movie star of that era, and I'm sure could pull of a successful reboot of the franchise.

That actually was the impetus for the first Predator script. Rocky 4 had just come out and everybody in Hollywood said "Well, Rocky's pretty much beaten everybody here on earth, only place to go next is outer space."

akira28

Which Predator comics were B&W? Everything I've seen was color.
The early Predator comics from Dark Horse (late 80's early 90's) are pretty crappy. The late 90's stuff is good. The 4th omnibus is really good.

I liked the early Dark Horse Aliens, Aliens: Earth War, Predator: Big Game, the crossover books, all of it. I love Dark Horse comics. I can't remember which were B&W or not because it was fuck long ago, but I remember it. Memory could be faulty though.

I wouldnt take it personally. There are billions of us, if some more advanced species want to pick a few off it is really no problem. Its just a shame we couldnt collaborate more.

The predators are capable of all that advanced shit in the OP and we aren't. Exactly what do they have to gain by collaborating with us?

I love the concept of the Predator species but it's pretty disappointing they always get their asses kicked by humans. Makes them seem not as bad ass.

Mr. Sam

When I was twelve, I was disappointed by how easily the predators were dispatched in Alien versus Predator. The aliens didn't even gang up but they managed to find a way through every one of the predator's bullshit gadgets and murder them in single combat. In years since, I've been glad.

Goodness knows why the predators felt the need to massacre all the humans at base camp - with cloaks on - before they go fight the aliens and get so dramatically shown up. Because they're douchebags, I suppose.

The less inept (but more heavily armed) predator from Requiem was probably a response to that. The best moment of that movie is when he accidentally - and fatally - pins the movie's love interest against a wall with a giant shuriken. Butterfingers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom