• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Problem With EGM Magazine" - A writer speaks out

OnPoint

DarkChronic said:
Old EGM was the best magazine back in the day, bar none. Game Informer now holds that title.

The new EGM is not even a shell of what it once was, unfortunately.

Just curious, why do you rank GI over magazines like EDGE, Gamepro or GamesTM

Smision said:
this better not be a veiled "you have an awesome job, don't complain" post. it's not awesome if you have to fight for your paycheck after you've done the work.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is. You nailed it. I don't even see the veil, to be honest.

Tobor

DoctorWho said:
They should have just come back digitally.

Sorry guys. Print is dead.
Exactly what I said when The relaunch was announced. Who launches a niche magazine on paper now? Especially one where the niche market is internet savvy?

sucks for the writer. Hope he gets what he is owed.

I feel bad for anyone working for EGM is this is what that magazine has come to.

Who the fuck restarts a print magazine in this day and age anyway? EGM should have stayed dead.

mollipen

DoctorWho said:
Switch to digital only now EGM. You produce some good content but print is just dragging you down.

The problem is, statements like "dragging you down" are things you're in no position to say unless you're running the company. That's like me telling Apple, "Stop making desktop computers. They're just dragging you down, when all of your efforts should be put into laptops and iOS."

That's me, on the outside, having not one clue how profitable that portion of the company's output is.

Big Chungus

R.I.P

R9CJ5.jpg

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Averon said:
I knew EGM's writers exodus had something to do with money.
No, it has more to with Steve being a relic who acts like it is still the mid-90s for the print industry, and he has no fucking clue what he is doing despite his claims to the contrary.

Gazunta

Sucks :(

I don't miss freelance at all. Having to stay up to 2am local time so I could make international calls to GameSpot asking where my checks were sucked big time. And by the time I eventually got them I'd end up owing so much on my phone bill from those calls :(

shidoshi said:
The problem is, statements like "dragging you down" are things you're in no position to say unless you're running the company. That's like me telling Apple, "Stop making desktop computers. They're just dragging you down, when all of your efforts should be put into laptops and iOS."

That's me, on the outside, having not one clue how profitable that portion of the company's output is.

I'll admit, we don't know for sure, but it's an educated guess that I'm sure is pretty close to the mark.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
DoctorWho said:
I'll admit, we don't know for sure, but it's an educated guess that I'm sure is pretty close to the mark.
This made me smile. What else do you potentially not entirely know, maybe?

Chuck

Still without luck
What a waste of money that year subscription I got was. The magazine sucks and this story is terrible.

I never thought I'd say it, but I hope EGM dies again.

Corto

Wow I remember the glory days of EGM when Steve Harris, Ed Semrad, Martin and Sushi X used to give us their reviews and Steve was bragging about his new Lamborghini...

my how the mighty have fallen.

kamspy

Old EGM had those thick ass phone book issues. That made me pick it off the shelf instead of another gaming mag.

Without that gimmick, they were doomed. If I want good writing I'll read my post history on GAF.

Corto

kamspy said:
Old EGM had those thick ass phone book issues. That made me pick it off the shelf instead of another gaming mag.

Without that gimmick, they were doomed. If I want good writing I'll read my post history on GAF.

I wouldn't call it a gimmick. Their pre Christmas issues were a thing of godliness. I enjoyed them more than the games I opened up under the tree on Christmas morning.

Of course then I got a bit older and even better magazines came along like Next Generation.

Nekobo

Not a big fan of the EGM 2.0, so I'm letting my subscription expire.

Usually print publications send notification that your subscription is close to expiring months ahead...but nope, I got the notice when I received my final issue. I was like wow, this can't be a good sign.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
For the record if Harold has never run into an issue like this in his career, he has been incredibly lucky. I've been lucky enough to be "on staff" for most of my career, but I've also done a fair bit of freelance. And.... yeah. You get paid late more often than you don't.

For me, IGN was far & away the most rock-solid with payments. Everyone else varied from regular late to "WHERE'S MY MONEY?!? GIMMY MY MONEY!" - late.

I can't judge the legitimacy of this guy's claim, and neither can you. There are at least 2 sides to every story.

But I do know that he's a dick for publically ripping his employer like that. I wouldn't pay him or hire him again after that.

NichM

Banned
Red Nightmare said:
But I do know that he's a dick for publically ripping his employer like that. I wouldn't pay him or hire him again after that.

"Again"? I think they'd have to pay him once for that to apply.

entremet

kamspy said:

What was the last magazine that you've seen at the newsstand that is thick like a phonebook?
Those days are over, thanks in part to the Internet.

Besides, ever look through those old issues? Not exactly Pulitzer Prize winning material. Tons of filler.

From Casey Loe's twitter

@snowjew
I can second these EGM accusations. They owe me $350, and don't even have the courtesy to reply to invoices and queries. bit.ly/mGCfVd

Now this has gone too far!

kamspy

entrement said:
What was the last magazine that you've seen at the newsstand that is thick like a phonebook?
Those days are over, thanks in part to the Internet.

Besides, ever look through those old issues? Not exactly Pulitzer Prize winning material. Tons of filler.

I don't need a Pulitzer caliber article when I'm taking a shit. Cool pictures will do just fine. I don't think anyone buys gaming mags for that kind of writing.

dacuk

Corto said:
I wouldn't call it a gimmick. Their pre Christmas issues were a thing of godliness. I enjoyed them more than the games I opened up under the tree on Christmas morning.

Of course then I got a bit older and even better magazines came along like Next Generation.

Sir, you are a gentleman of fine taste.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Red Nightmare said:
I can't judge the legitimacy of this guy's claim, and neither can you. There are at least 2 sides to every story.

Harold didn't do anything wrong, here. He is a victim - he's not being paid for work long completed.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Red Nightmare said:

As someone who has interacted with Steve Harris (re: the new EGM), I can attest that Steve Harris is a jerk who deserves to be ripped to shreds.

WillyFive

DarkChronic said:
Old EGM was the best magazine back in the day, bar none. Game Informer now holds that title.

Game Informer gets great exclusive reveals, but I regret ever subscribing to it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
EGM is still around?

...Huh. Learn something new everyday.

survivor

Banned
Red Nightmare said:

The guy isn't being a dick at all. He did his job and isn't getting paid. Plus other writers are joining in agreeing with his side of the story. It's a good thing that the public is being aware of what's happening to pressure up EGM to stop screwing over their writers.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm part of the problem in some sense.. I haven't bought a single issue of the new EGM. Ive been a reader since 1992 (!!), and when the mag got shuttered by Hearst I was devastated..

But that year or more that it was dead.. That was enough to break my print media habits altogether. It got me used to relying on my iPhone for games media. I might think that I wanted the mag back, but when it was amazingly ressurected, I couldn't be bothered to pick up a copy..

TL4E

Print media is dead to me, and to be fair EGM is probably having a tough time keeping up with its finances. But clearly they shouldn't hire a writer whom they can't pay -- then you end up with this sort of thing where it comes back to bite you ten times over. If they can pay him and they're just being assholes, then they need to pony up the cash for some damage control.

The good old days of 3/4" thick issues with a 3 page ad every other page are over I'm afraid.

Ravidrath

shidoshi said:
So you're wishing for me to be out of a job? :(

I'd like you to find a job with a reputable person who actually cares about the publication, rather than just thinking of it as a way to launch his iPad content delivery service.

mollipen

RandomVince said:
What he meant to say was that it would be nice for you to find a stable job at a publication that isnt just treading water.

To be fair, I have a stable (at least I think stable) job at a publication that I currently have no reason to believe is treading water.

However, if people would like to fund my making WAHP or one of my other projects into a full-fledged gig I can live off of, please do so! I will absolutely no refuse your money!

goldenpp72

shidoshi said:
So you're wishing for me to be out of a job? :(

no offense as unemployment sucks balls, but working at a killed then resurrected magazine of all things is probably something i'd not assume will last too long, I'm surprised it's still here to be honest. I do hope the mag last just because work is work, but I'd not personally subscribe to the mag based on what I've seen of it.

Them not paying the freelancers is a damn shame, cool job or not, it's still work.

Ravidrath

shidoshi said:
To be fair, I have a stable (at least I think stable) job at a publication that I currently have no reason to believe is treading water.

OK, seriously?

If the company is solvent, why would they not be paying freelancers and employee expenses in a timely manner?

Does Steve think everyone else is also a reclusive millionaire or something, and these mere hundreds and thousands of dollars are just chump change to them?

Just heard about this after reading this week's EGMi of all the things.

Situation really sucks and I hope they give the writer what he is owed.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Gazunta said:
Sucks :(

I don't miss freelance at all. Having to stay up to 2am local time so I could make international calls to GameSpot asking where my checks were sucked big time. And by the time I eventually got them I'd end up owing so much on my phone bill from those calls :(

Don't miss it either.

Worked with EGM when it first launched. Brady's a friend, though I've rarely seen him in the last year or so as I imagine the hours are awful.

Was definitely a hassle to get paid. A real shame. They've worked with and sadly lost a lot of very talented guys since the start.

Barely interacted with Steve Harris, but when I did, he apologized for the late payment and sorted me out.

Seems like accounts are still not solved as a problem there. Hope they figure that out.

And yes, it sucks, but this is sadly all too common in freelance writing. Future Publishing and Dennis Publishing were an absolute *nightmare* in the UK.

Had to personally go to the accounts offices of both companies and pick up late checks on multiple, multiple occasions. Seems accounts departments are filled with incompetent people, or they're told to be incompetent.

Oh, and when Paragon (*I think*) shut down, they decided not to pay any freelancers and I was *lucky* with my loss of $400. Another freelancer I knew was short on $1800 worth of payment. Fighting with liquidators was his option.

Freelancers get FUCKED. It sucks that's the norm. Publishing houses are just run too thin and typically I've not seen many care for their freelancers as if part of the crew.

My honest advice: don't do it; go get a more sustainable job or work with people and publications with good people relations, unless you really are tight with the boss.

Kikizo/VGD/Adam Doree always paid on time. ***** too.

I pretty much only read Game Informer and EDGE now.

And let's be honest, Game Informer only makes enough money to stay around cause they were savvy enough to cut that deal with Gamestop.

Top Bottom