• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I thought I read some where that the emulation on some of those games is not very good.

Yeah the reviews I saw, via Metacritic, are not very good. Although most say Mutant League is good, which would be the main draw for me. I would play the Road Rashes as well. [edit, scratch that, it looks like they changed the soundtrack to the Road Rashes so it would only be for Mutant League and Jungle Strike. I think I'll pass for now.]

Ok, this sounds terrible. Im retracting my last statement!

PaulBizkit

Best psp model with dpad?

Any mods/accessories I should look out for?

I'm curious about this type of peripheral... Has anybody tried it?

scalepspslimgrip.jpg

Galdelico

Hey guys, I'm looking for some decent looking tower to store my PSP games... Any suggestion? So far, I've only stumbled across one on ebay (from Power Games, it seems), too bad it's a tacky hunk of plastic. :/

So I had a bit of an epiphany this weekend. I've been recording footage of FFT:WOTL for a review I'm going to do and I was dissatisfied with the quality of the video over component.

I managed to find PS TV for sale running FW 3.35. I grabbed it and hacked it to run TN-V. The PS TV having hdmi out should provide the cleanest possible image and 720p is exactly 1/3 of 4k for upscaling purposes.

The results are incredible! I'll be doing a side by side comparison of FFT to show the superior image quality of the PS TV but i'll also record some actual PSP games ( instead of a ps1 port) when I have a chance.

In the mean time check out the crispyness!

Borman

Still cataloging PSP stuff. This is one of the highlights, Silent Hill Origins before it was scrapped and redone:
ea4bRgo.jpg

Emulator shot.

Noahd41

Neo Member
I've been hooked on Hot Shots golf this week. Love that game. Brings me back.

I'm looking to add God of War: Ghost of Sparta to my collection soon. I beat the other one last year or so and it was a good, manageable romp

c-murph

I'm curious about this type of peripheral... Has anybody tried it?

scalepspslimgrip.jpg

Yeah, I have a white one for my white PSP. The only difference is it is completely rounded on the grips with no indentation. It's made of light plastic but it's actually really comfortable. It feels like your holding a Dual Shock controller.

snipah

Neo Member
...not able to find a decent offer here in Germany. Could anyone possibly help me to get one of these? If anyone wants to sell his cradle or knows where to get one for a reasonable price...your help would be appreciated. Will gladly pay via PayPal. Please help me, PSP-GAF.

Apoc87

Banned
Does the PSP (any model) still connect to the internet? If so, what is the best model to get for playing games that i have collected free with ps plus? Where can i get said model for the cheapest price?

Clive

Does the PSP (any model) still connect to the internet? If so, what is the best model to get for playing games that i have collected free with ps plus? Where can i get said model for the cheapest price?

Every model except the European-only PSP E1000 (a.k.a. "Street" model) connects to the internets and can download games straight from your PSN download list. I would recommend using a PC with the program Media Go or a PS3 to download your games though since sorting the download list is impossible and finding things in it can be hard.

Generally recommended is to avoid the PSP 1000 and go for PSP 2k or 3k for cheaper memory cards and UMD capabilities or the PSP Go for the smallest model with 16GB internal memory.

Finding a new PSP is getting harder and more expensive so I would recommend eBay or Craiglist or similar.

Apoc87

Banned
Every model except the European-only PSP E1000 (a.k.a. "Street" model) connects to the internets and can download games straight from your PSN download list. I would recommend using a PC with the program Media Go or a PS3 to download your games though since sorting the download list is impossible and finding things in it can be hard.

Generally recommended is to avoid the PSP 1000 and go for PSP 2k or 3k for cheaper memory cards and UMD capabilities or the PSP Go for the smallest model with 16GB internal memory.

Finding a new PSP is getting harder and more expensive so I would recommend eBay or Craiglist or similar.

Thank you. Im thinking the 2k or go, what would i need to look for/inspect when buying used in person? Never touched a psp before.

Clive

Thank you. Im thinking the 2k or go, what would i need to look for/inspect when buying used in person? Never touched a psp before.

Faulty UMD drives and almost dead batteries can be common from my experience. The former can be tested with a game/movie but the latter is harder.

...not able to find a decent offer here in Germany. Could anyone possibly help me to get one of these? If anyone wants to sell his cradle or knows where to get one for a reasonable price...your help would be appreciated. Will gladly pay via PayPal. Please help me, PSP-GAF.
I'm pretty sure Amazon US has them. I think they're for sale from marketplace sellers so you may not be able to get them sent directly to you. Post a request in the BST thread, someone may help you out.

-shadow-

So I bought Silent Hill Shattered Memories earlier today for a few euro, but the UMD casing is very loose on the top. I was wondering what's the best way to fix this. I read that people use a bit of tape, but I don't think that's really a solution to the problem.

Has the UMD drives on these things proven to be pretty sturdy? I left the PSP scene ages ago, but I recently went to a thrift store and they had a bunch of CIB titles for like $1-2 dollars each. I was almost tempted, but ultimately passed. Even with a Vita in tow, I'm wondering if picking up a 3000 is a worthwhile purchase, especially with many titles never making it to PSN, on top of PSN pricing( many titles still at $30-40. Seriously??!!). Are memory duo sticks still easy to find and cheap?

Clive

Has the UMD drives on these things proven to be pretty sturdy? I left the PSP scene ages ago, but I recently went to a thrift store and they had a bunch of CIB titles for like $1-2 dollars each. I was almost tempted, but ultimately passed. Even with a Vita in tow, I'm wondering if picking up a 3000 is a worthwhile purchase, especially with many titles never making it to PSN, on top of PSN pricing( many titles still at $30-40. Seriously??!!). Are memory duo sticks still easy to find and cheap?

Never had a UMD drive break on me but I have read it happen. Not everyone is up for it but Custom FirmWare is very flexible on the PSP and allows you to safely both have a legit account and play backups. What I do is rip my UMDs and put them on my memory stick and the games back on the shelf. Playing from the memory stick extends the life of the UMD drive, conserves battery, shortens load times and is pretty damn convenient.

As for memory sticks, I assume the cheap Pro Duo ones from China on eBay are fake and I think most people just use an adapter plus Micro SD these days. That's cheap and has worked for me.

Timu

NNot everyone is up for it but Custom FirmWare is very flexible on the PSP and allows you to safely both have a legit account and play backups. What I do is rip my UMDs and put them on my memory stick and the games with back on the shelf. Playing from the memory stick extends the life of the UMD drive, conserves battery, shortens load times and is pretty damn convenient.
That's what I do and I don't go back to playing with UMD due to those reasons after ripping the games to the memory stick.

. What I do is rip my UMDs and put them on my memory stick and the games back on the shelf. Playing from the memory stick extends the life of the UMD drive, conserves battery, shortens load times and is pretty damn convenient.

Hmmm, theres a thought. I'll look into that. I can't fathom carrying those umd disks around. I like my physical media as much as the next person, but digital is so much more practical for handheld.

Clive

I still keep my physical discs for my collection and because I dislike piracy (a bit of double standards, I know but at least I can say that all 147GB of PSP games I have on my computer were ripped by myself from games I still own). It's just that the UMD was a very poor format for the consumer. For the developers and publishers it was incredible considering the low costs and high storage capacity but for consumers the UMDs were noisy, slow, drained battery and were too fragile and large to carry with you except for inside the PSP itself.

I don't feel bad about ripping my own games and I don't distribute them so the only result I see from this is less of a headache for myself.

PaulBizkit

I still keep my physical discs for my collection and because I dislike piracy (a bit of double standards, I know but at least I can say that all 147GB of PSP games I have on my computer were ripped by myself from games I still own). It's just that the UMD was a very poor format for the consumer. For the developers and publishers it was incredible considering the low costs and high storage capacity but for consumers the UMDs were noisy, slow, drained battery and were too fragile and large to carry with you except for inside the PSP itself.

I don't feel bad about ripping my own games and I don't distribute them so the only result I see from this is less of a headache for myself.

I remember back in 2009 I was playing some vs mode on Dissidia with a friend and it was frustrating to see that his pirated .iso loaded faster than my UMD copy... (even with the data install)

Picked up 7 games for $2 each today from a thrift store:

Star Wars Clone Wars republic heroes
Burnout Legends
Lumines
Lego Star Wars III
GhostBusters
Crash mind over mutant
Sonic Rivals 2

Not even sure I have any interest in some of those, but for $2 why not lol....

I had a PSP years ago, got rid of it because I wasn't into handhelds as much as I thought I'd be. Funny enough, portable gaming suits my gaming time and lifestyle much better nowadays, so Vita and 3ds are infinitely more valuable to me now. Perfect time to dive back into PSP as well, especially at those prices. I had both Lumines and Burnout Legends before....

Just finished a run through of Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles 2.5D version of Rondo of Blood.

Did they make this version like.... way easier? I remember having way more trouble with a couple boss battles and especially Dracula. In the original I could barely get 1 hit in safely on his first form per warp, in the remake I got 3 with time to spare. It felt like Dracula in slow motion!

Accoun

Picked up 7 games for $2 each today from a thrift store:

Similarly here, except it's my local game store trying to get rid of their PSP section. $2.50 for a game and got 3: Wipeout Pulse (so now I have both), Lumines and Virtua Tennis 3.
Nothing rare or unusual, but stil good and cheap. Probably gonna get more in the following days. If no one else is gonna buy them.

Fortunately, everyone can back up their games to a PC/flashdrive/etc. so that even if they lack space for everything they don't need to use the net to transfer. Just gotta get on it.

Clive

Fortunately, everyone can back up their games to a PC/flashdrive/etc. so that even if they lack space for everything they don't need to use the net to transfer. Just gotta get on it.

Still sucks when that's the final option. It does bring an extra cost and external drives can go bad. We're at the point where someone who bought the latest PSP model launched in 2011 can't redownload his games without a PS3. Not acceptable and not the form of digital distribution I want.

Still sucks when that's the final option. It does bring an extra cost and external drives can go bad. We're at the point where someone who bought the latest PSP model launched in 2011 can't redownload his games without a PS3. Not acceptable and not the form of digital distribution I want.

nonetheless, it seems clear this is a taste of our glorious digital future. Better to have options like the PSP than be a more locked down system. Barring another big exploit, latest-firmware vitas seem like a likely candidate to be boned by this.

PaulBizkit

Man, Persona 3 Portable is such a great game. I hope I can finish it by the time Persona 5 releases...

d0ca848ada1ec1d826efebcb97d7360a-650-80.jpg

I'm at block 2 atm. It's so good to play an RPG that doesn't take place in medieval Europe.

dubc35

I found P3P to be repetitive. I only played 5 hours or so but dungeon crawling Tartarus didn't appeal to me. Maybe I didn't give it enough time?

Asking out of curiosity rather than planning on it, but has anyone played Star Soldier on a HDTV via the component out? Does it play in landscape like a left to right shmup? Or letterbox portrait bottom to top?

PaulBizkit

I found P3P to be repetitive. I only played 5 hours or so but dungeon crawling Tartarus didn't appeal to me. Maybe I didn't give it enough time?

I think it's better to know before-hand that the dungeons in P3 are basically all the same. I try to reach the top floor available in one trip to the tartarus and then play the regular school days as if it was a VN. Clearing quests and rescuing people that get lost in the tartarus gives me the extra grinding I need.

This is definitely the best version of P3 available. You can watch the missing chapter (The Truth) in youtube anyways.

Top Bottom