• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
by the way... if Wii U is so weak then why does it take 7 months to port one of its games to the "HD twins"?

GC|Simon

Won't buy. And will avoid any Ubisoft games in the future on any platform. Sorry for the devs, but their bosses won't take my money.

Same for me. I am very sorry for the devs but I won't support this publisher anymore. I'm just going to buy all interesting Ubisoft games 2nd hand and if I think a game is good I will write a "thank you" mail to the dev.

farnham

Banned
Ubi : for our godfathers sony and ms we will delay finished products but for nintendo we will not.

Anyways just cancel the game on wiiu ubi for more lulz

In response, Irvin added: "We usually release all of our platforms simultaneously (aside from PC). We've made special exception sometimes in the past but it's definitely just on a case by case basis and not our standard practice.

"In this case, Ubisoft recently decided they wanted to release the game on multiple platforms so the decision was made to launch them all at the same time rather than separately.

"I know it's not an elaborate, 'convincing' answer, but it's the simple truth."

Well there you go.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Lemme guess, this is the equivalent of "What's your gamertag, because I believe you're full of shit and you don't actually own a Wii U." Am I close? And no, it's not Baconsammy.
You say this. Personally I find your posts very interesting, if Rich allows me.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I'm honestly melting here... I wanted to play this game with all my college friends before we graduate. Ugghhgh

Have we found the best mode for complaining to Ubisoft yet? I refuse to boycott the game (though I will search for a used copy).

Kanguro

Neo Member
Weren't people pretty pissed about that? The even worse part is no widescreen for no apparent reason.

I don't know.There were plenty of people who seemed downright happy about it as it was some kind of justification for purchasing a Wii at launch. The fact that they tacked on an extra month delay for GC owners just for the hell of it added insult to injury.

The thing about this Rayman delay is I find it hard to believe that Ubisoft ever considered making this exclusive. From day one I at least was convinced there was no way Rayman would go from every platform under the sun to Wii U exclusive. It just seemed like an odd way to piss off whatever fanbase you might have built. I always expected that it was a marketing exclusive (ala Asscreed for ps3) and that the other platforms would be revealed in due time. But, if the devs and publishers are to be believed, Ubisoft actually WAS planning to make this exclusive and for some reason (shitty wii U sales?) decided to port.

The reason to delay seems more evident but the reason to suddenly port is less apparent.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I just think it's shocking that Nintendo didn't throw any resources at this game to keep it exclusive. It's a cornerstone of their launch window and they've just let it go without a fight.

Megatron

Wait, what do the PS3 and 360 have to do with this?

Either way, I had the game pre-ordered, but canceled it this morning. No point in bothering. I they don't want my money, I'll give it to someone else.

Imagine if the game came out in feb as planned, then a PS360 version came out in September with added content or online co-op not found in the wiiU version? People here would lose their minds. 'I already bought this in February! How dare they release that version when they knew a better version was coming?" Etc etc etc.

Gamers are never happy. News at 11:00.

Just about everyone who was going to get it will still buy it in September. They're just mad now and believe they won't.

I just think it's shocking that Nintendo didn't throw any resources at this game to keep it exclusive. It's a cornerstone of their launch window and they've just let it go without a fight.

Iwata wants profit and as good as the game is; Rayman Origins was not a big seller.

Kouriozan

Poor Kamiya, he's been asked a lot today (in English and Japanese) if TW101 or Bayonetta 2 is going to go multiplatform. He keeps reminding them it's up to the publisher...which is Nintendo.

So, I think we're safe.
Those games where in the 1st party Nintendo Direct.

GC|Simon

They promoted it heavily. I hope they will never ever work with this gaijins from Ubisoft again.

farnham

Banned

no the sales potential always was slim. However the wiiu has so little exclusives that i kinda agree.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Behind the scenes, MS and Sony may have given Ubi an incentive to port it. Who knows?

Pikma

Banned
I'm defending the one third party that has shown an interest in a console I bought at launch, and was the only prominent third party to release an exclusive title alongside that launch, yes. Not because I own shares in their company. But because I possess an interest in the Wii U succeeding. "Fuck you, you greedy fucking assholes." isn't how I show that support.

Sure you do:

Why not give Ubisoft some credit for realizing their mistake?

You're like those guys on Vita threads posting "lol Vita sux, it has no gamez, vita is dead! oh oh! but don't misinterpret me, I love the Vita."

You say this. Personally I find your posts very interesting, if Rich allows me.

You actually don't find my posts interesting. You said as much last week and then said you put me on ignore. So you can understand my suspicion. I'll happily give you my NNID via PM if you need it, but I haven't posted on Miiverse since early December. Pretty much the last time I had it plugged in. I'd have to plug it back in and switch the connections from my Apple TV just to find out what my NNID is.

Pretty sure Assassin's Creed 3 released earlier on the PS3/360 than it did on the WiiU.

Yeah, that tends to happen when one of the consoles hasn't been released yet.

You're like those guys on Vita threads posting "lol Vita sux, it has no gamez, vita is dead! oh oh! but don't misinterpret me, I love the Vita."

The Vita doesn't "sux" and it has plenty of games that interest me. I like the Vita very much, thank you.

Kevin

I just bought a Wii U this week and was looking forward to this title in this huge drought. Now I might not even buy the game and if I do it will be when it's in the bargain bin or used. Disapointed is an understatement.

zoukka

I'm defending the one third party that has shown an interest in a console I bought at launch, and was the only prominent third party to release an exclusive title alongside that launch, yes. Not because I own shares in their company. But because I possess an interest in the Wii U succeeding. "Fuck you, you greedy fucking assholes." isn't how I show that support.

Ok so it was about your personal stance, and not about what big publishers do that screw people over now?

RobbieNick

Imagine if the game came out in feb as planned, then a PS360 version came out in September with added content or online co-op not found in the wiiU version? People here would lose their minds. 'I already bought this in February! How dare they release that version when they knew a better version was coming?" Etc etc etc.

Gamers are never happy. News at 11:00.

Just about everyone who was going to get it will still buy it in September. They're just mad now and believe they won't.

Honestly? I probably would have bought it again.

If they want to bring the same title out on another system months after it's been out adding bonus content to boost it's value is perfectly understandable.

+Aliken+

I can't see how this makes sense from a business point of view.
The earlier you release a product the more time you have to sell the product.

The only reason you would delay a completed game is not to compete against a similar game.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Iwata wants profit and as good as the game is; Rayman Origins was not a big seller.

Yet they throw money after Bayonetta 2? And Wonderful 101?

They promoted it heavily. I hope they will never ever work with this gaijins from Ubisoft again.

How have they promoted it heavily?

Behind the scenes, MS and Sony may have given Ubi an incentive to port it. Who knows?

It was always getting ported. The real problem is Wii U is performing under expectations and, without a Nintendo subsidy, there's no point launching and promoting the Wii U SKU separately without a decent install base.

Not sure what that has to do with anything...

Ubisoft claims that when possible they release games across platforms at the same time. You said, "But AC3 came out on Wii U later." I pointed out that happened due to the Wii U not being available at the time of AC3's launch, thus it couldn't possibly be released at the same time as the PS3 and 360 versions. Where's the confusion?
Read again.

No, trust me, I read your idiotic trollbait. I responded appropriately.

It was always getting ported. The real problem is Wii U is performing under expectations and, without a Nintendo subsidy, there's no point launching and promoting the Wii U SKU separately without a decent install base.

Nintendo showcased Rayman as the game for Wii U's Demo Kiosk. It was also likely going to get some major publicity in the future Nintendo Directs.

The Wii U is getting still developing their userbase, it the drought of first party games would have been a good time to release Rayman. Now Rayman could be swallowed up by other games coming in the later half of the year.

Ubisoft claims that when possible they release games across platforms at the same time. You said, "But AC3 came out on Wii U later." I pointed out that happened due to the Wii U not being available at the time of AC3's launch, thus it couldn't possibly be released at the same time as the PS3 and 360 versions. Where's the confusion?

Um, why not hold the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions back and release it when the Wii U version was ready?

+Aliken+

You thinks so?
September is already full of stuff and the way things are looking we might have at least one of the new consoles by then.

This move is just so bad it hurts, consumer confidence in Ubisoft will take a hit. I am pretty sure I will not get the game now as it comes when there is so much going on already, on top of that I was always on the edge of getting Assassins Creed 3 thanks to this move I think I have made my choice...

Lynd7

Obviously they should of delayed the other two versions to fall in line with the Wii U release.

cloudyy

So their mistake was to promote the game as an exclusive even though they knew from the beginning it would be ported later on. Maybe they should have developed it as a multi-plat game since the beginning and release it on time, and not send it to die in september.

antonz

Ubisoft wishes Rayman could sell as well as Bayonetta.

Um, why not hold the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions back and release it when the Wii U version was ready?

Why hold back the versions for the consoles that account for over 150 million sold for the console with 0 sold? Are you asking me from a business standpoint why you maybe wouldnt want to do that?

So their mistake was to promote the game as an exclusive even though they knew from the beginning it would be ported later on. Maybe they should have developed it as a multi-plat game since the beginning and release it on time, and not send it to die in september.

I have no argument against that at all. I agree with it. But when did they decide it was no longer going to be an exclusive? They haven't shared that info. Prior to today their only message was that it was exclusive to the Wii U. Something obviously changed recently. It's not difficult to see what that was.

Darryl

Banned

it and ZombiU have sort of headlined the entire Wii U launch. even NSMB:U and Nintendo Land have taken a back seat and i think it's caused the entire console launch to lose some momentum.

no, and it's not because of some "protest" i'm doing against Ubisoft, i'm just not going to have the money. way too many games coming out that i want more

kinggroin

Banned
You actually don't find my posts interesting. You said as much last week and then said you put me on ignore. So you can understand my suspicion. I'll happily give you my NNID via PM if you need it, but I haven't posted on Miiverse since early December. Pretty much the last time I had it plugged in. I'd have to plug it back in and switch the connections from my Apple TV just to find out what my NNID is.

The power cable will be enough ;-)

Top Bottom