• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The RE4 hype train has started for real

SantaC

By Matt from IGN messageboards: (Might be S P O I L E R S for some so beware)

IGN-Matt said:
Resident Evil 4 is simply amazing. Really, truly, spectacular.

Just fought the Thing in the Lake, as I like to call it, and man oh man is the sequence fantastic! For the record, it's not on rails. You actually control the boat with analog precision and must actually dodge objects in the water like branches while trying to harpoon the horrible beast beneath.

It's also one of the most gorgeous scenes in a videogame to date.

We'll have more movies tonight for you. But I cannot stress this enough: serious ownage by Capcom!

Matt

Good, this game deserves some serious hype. Only one month left until Resident Evil 4 get!

I suspect this will probably be the first Resident Evil I play all the way through since the first one way back in 1996.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
ALL ABOARD!

$50 for a roundtrip ticket, sounds good enough to me.

Laurent

When he says tonight, he means yesterday or today? When was this message published?

And concerning the Resident Evil 4 US Demo, is it the same as the Japanese one included in that special Famitsu Wave I ordered back in September?

Deku Tree

Deepthroat said:
Is this game true widescreen or not? Cause if not I'll wait for da drop.

The demo is letterbox'd. I don't know if the full game will have a widescreen option or not.

joe250

soundwave05 said:
I suspect this will probably be the first Resident Evil I play all the way through since the first one way back in 1996.

Ditto. Can't believe it's been that long already.

It's true widescreen from what I understand, not just as a fancy gimmick, but because of the view ratio given the new engine.

king zell

35 days.....
smiley-rock.gif

olimario

Banned
soundwave05 said:
It's true widescreen from what I understand, not just as a fancy gimmick, but because of the view ratio given the new engine.

I thought it was said before that the screen was stretched and letterboxed. I thought Matt said that, actually.

Solid

soundwave05 said:
Let's hope so cause I don't want to play the game like this!

re_ws.JPG

Don't laugh at my paint skillzor.

Culex

Banned
Laurent said:
Can't your TV zoom at the correct size?

In 480p, if you zoom a widescreen (letterboxed) picture on my TV, it cuts off large chunks of the left and right side of the screen to compensate. It doesn't in 1080i.

Laurent

Speaking about HDTV, I am planning on buying a VGA Converter to suit both my PS2 and GCN. I saw this Hi-Resolution VGA PS2 Adapter for cheap, but what could be the difference between this "640 x 400 OMG WTF, better than anything but require a booth disc" and a normal VGA / Progressive Scan Box? I know absolutely shit about this...

montanha

ToyMachine228 said:

Gamecube GotY, but it has a lot to live up to rival MGS3 for my GotY. Then again, RE4 has been looking tits for over a year now, and has a few things in common with MGS3, like the mindblowing graphics and feel and cinematic interactivity.

might finally get a cube for RE4. There will actually be a BIG spike I'm sure, due to RE4..

Memles

montanha said:
Gamecube GotY, but it has a lot to live up to rival MGS3 for my GotY. Then again, RE4 has been looking tits for over a year now, and has a few things in common with MGS3, like the mindblowing graphics and feel and cinematic interactivity.

might finally get a cube for RE4. There will actually be a BIG spike I'm sure, due to RE4..

It does have a lot to do to rival MGS3 for GOTY...like release 12 days earlier.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I am NOT an RE fan. I finished 1 & 2 and played a bit of CV. I played the remake till the crimson headed zombies just plain pissed me off. I got RE:0 but never played it. I just never understood the whole frustation/limitaiton = challenge thing. And I hate tank controls.

But I must say, I'm really looking forward to RE4.

Simo

Laurent said:
And concerning the Resident Evil 4 US Demo, is it the same as the Japanese one included in that special Famitsu Wave I ordered back in September?

Nope. I don't have it personally but a friend of mine does who also has the Japanese Famitsu demo and made note that the US demo is updated and uncensored. It also contains a few items that weren't present in the Famitsu demo like the collectible Gems for example. Also, while you can't access them, the Map does show other areas that also weren't present in the Famitsu demo.

SantaC

Laurent said:
When he says tonight, he means yesterday or today? When was this message published?

this was today.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Just watched the 8min GS preview. Game looks tempting to me for the first time. Ricardo Torres must be a blind ndrone. He says it is GCN exclusive, no mention of PS2 at all in the preview.

SantaC

Society said:
Just watched the 8min GS preview. Game looks tempting to me for the first time. Ricardo Torres must be a blind ndrone. He says it is GCN exclusive, no mention of PS2 at all in the preview.

yeah i saw that too :lol

AirBrian

Bishman said:
The hype is so overwhelming, every major site and magazine are creaming in their pants over RE4.
Well I am creaming my pants, right now!!! I just picked up the demo disc. HOLY SHITE!!!

Let me back up so you get my point of reference. I own Resident Evil (GC) but never finished it -- couldn't keep my interest and the controls...well, you know the story. Very pretty though.

Ever since hearing about the overhaul, I've been keeping my eye on RE4. Seen the screenshots, seen the movies, read all the info. But after playing it...I'm a believer!

01/11/05 > *

SantaC

AirBrian said:
Well I am creaming my pants, right now!!! I just picked up the demo disc. HOLY SHITE!!!

Let me back up so you get my point of reference. I own Resident Evil (GC) but never finished it -- couldn't keep my interest and the controls...well, you know the story. Very pretty though.

Ever since hearing about the overhaul, I've been keeping my eye on RE4. Seen the screenshots, seen the movies, read all the info. But after playing it...I'm a believer!

01/11/05 > *

And yet you are playing an extremley old demo. I have the famiutsu demo with female villagers :p

Kon Tiki

Banned
Watched the IGN videos... I hope it was 'take your kid to work' day at IGN, the player was embarrassing to watch. There had to be at least six instances where the player had a break and an empty clip (accompanied by a big red circle and the word 'empty'), yet still tried to fire. Then the was the blatant waste of ammo on enemies that would of got killed with the dynamite had he not shot them.

Laurent

SantaCruZer said:
And yet you are playing an extremley old demo. I have the famiutsu demo with female villagers :p
IIRC, there weren't any female villager "forked" on a wall of one of the cabin in the Famitsu demo. What exactly was censored? The burning of the Umbrella representatives?

Wait a minute, I might be late here but are there 2 Famitsu demo?

Simo

Laurent said:
IIRC, there weren't any female villager "forked" on a wall of one of the cabin in the Famitsu demo. What exactly was censored? The burning of the Umbrella representatives?

Wait a minute, I might be late here but are there 2 Famitsu demo?

Yeah, the woman speared to the wall as well as the impaled Spanish Policeman burning in the village center. These were censored in the Japanese demo but with the use of Action Replay/GameShark and the necessary codes, you can uncensor the Famitsu demo to show all that stuff.

And nope, just 1 demo was released in Japan.

Laurent

Simo said:
Yeah, the woman speared to the wall as well as the impaled Spanish Policeman burning in the village center. These were censored in the Japanese demo but with the use of Action Replay/GameShark and the necessary codes, you can uncensor the Famitsu demo to show all that stuff.

And nope, just 1 demo was released in Japan.
So you are telling me that the american demo have exclude all female villagers?! Why?!

Simo

Laurent said:
So you are telling me that the american demo have exclude all female villagers?! Why?!

I'm not sure but alot of the other stuff excluded in the demo (be it sound FX or the spinning Item Icons) are back in the later builds of the game as demonstrated in the latest videos from GameSpot and IGN. So maybe the Female villagers will make a comeback in the finished product?

Laurent

That game CANNOT be censored like Capcom did back in 1996 with the original Resident Evil. I won't accept it... >_<

Simo

Laurent said:
That game CANNOT be censored like Capcom did back in 1996 with the original Resident Evil. I won't accept it... >_<

Well I doubt it will be. Afterall, the US demo is UNCENSORED compared to the Japanese Famitsu demo which probably had those 2 elements censored because it was reaching out to a wider audience, particular the magazine's readership. Regardless, the RE titles after the original on the PSone have never been censored so I don't think there's a cause for concern now :)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
hmmm... matt hype? what if he reviews the game and does his old trick of back pedalling when the final game doesn't live up to the hype he generated for it earlier? :/

bitwise

Banned
Scrow said:
hmmm... matt hype? what if he reviews the game and does his old trick of back pedalling when the final game doesn't live up to the hype he generated for it earlier? :/

then he does his old trick of back pedalling when the final game doesn't live up to the hype he generated for it. and starts fresh with the new Zelda

Top Bottom