• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The real Deal behind Goldeneye Cancellation

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Prine said:
How else could you play an unreleased game without going to the source yourself? Rare/MS probably wanted the world to know, cause they went to great lengths to make this happen. This magazine provides more evidence than any other site claiming to be in the know about Goldeneye.

Why would MS green light a project like this unless all parties agreed? Someone mentioned big corporations go through heavy budgeting and planning before starting any game. Think about it.
Um, all parties clearly did not agree. Reggie isn't going to go ahead an green-light such a complicated process without telling the higher ups. I don't know why this game went into development, probably the same reason a version of Halo DS exists, but it certainly wasn't because all parties were on the same page.

This license is a mess. It would have never have happened.

TunaLover said:
I told you the same thing that Iwata said months ago, Nintendo NEVER would allow a N64 emulator on other console, NEVER.

Ports and emulations are not the same thing. You don't need to emulate if you have the source code.

Prine said:
How else could you play an unreleased game without going to the source yourself? Rare/MS probably wanted the world to know, cause they went to great lengths to make this happen. This magazine provides more evidence than any other site claiming to be in the know about Goldeneye.

Why would MS green light a project like this unless all parties agreed? Someone mentioned big corporations go through heavy budgeting and planning before starting any game. Think about it.

I'll concede there's a supremely slim chance there's some element of truth to this. I'll keep an open mind... However:

The screens look like UltraHLE with a high res texture pack and the only 'nice' looking screen is the one with the mountains in the background. So even if it came from inside Rare, I would think its more likely to be a quick mash up rather than the beginnings of a serious project. Factor 5 sit around playing Rogue Squadron games on Wii apparently, after all.

I don't think Rare or MGS have leaked this story out to whip up attention and get us clamouring for the game, I think the magazine have dreamed this up because people were making rumours about it anyway, and if they never dreamed it up - someone has gone to them with it for attention or money. Basically, I think the entire story has been total bullshit from start to finish.

Rare don't have the right to port GoldenEye to any system, anything up to three companies would either not want it to happen or want some serious kick backs. Its a total fantasy, and was unrealistic from the start imo.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but I seriously doubt it. My guess is, the magazine is just trash.

EDIT: Good god, just read their source. Total bollocks.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Haunted One said:
oh no you didn't!

2evfg3o.jpg

Vaxadrin

Banned
Nostalgic Gamers In 2008:
"Fuck yeah, Goldeneye! I remember that game! It was so much fun!"

Nostalgic Gamers In 2008, After Having Played Goldeneye:
"Oh wow...this...um...I think I need to play something made in the last 5 years."

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Psychotext said:
Looks like Nintendo are heading back to their old ways.

thank god. i'm tired of this family-friendly shit. it's time to reek some havoc--professionally speaking, of course. bring on the return of zombie yamauchi and his magical pimp hand.

ggnoobIGN said:
Making smart business choices? They've been doing that for awhile now.

They got Goldeneye for the VC, MS get Goldeneye for the Xbox Live.

Everybody happy.

Everybody gets a lot of money.

Where's the smart business decision?...

Vaxadrin said:
Nostalgic Gamers In 2008:
"Fuck yeah, Goldeneye! I remember that game! It was so much fun!"

Nostalgic Gamers In 2008, After Having Played Goldeneye:
"Oh wow...this...um...I think I need to play something made in the last 5 years."

Hmm, not if they put in dual analog control. The graphics looked great for the update and with 4 player online, thats awesome.

I still GE to this day on n64

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Someone really needs to grill Iwata about this in an interview.

This isn't even taking your ball and going home, this is taking the ball you sold to another kid and going home.

Shiggy

radioheadrule83 said:
Read that. Thats where they got it from.

If someone came here and posted shit like that, they'd be laughed off the forum.

"Goldeneye is a Nintendo product and should only be on a Nintendo platform" :lol
Still, why did they even start its development for XBLA?

:lol

This is amazing.

The sheer willingness of you guys to UNQUESTIONINGLY BELIEVE it because it was written in a magazine, EVEN THOUGH it came from a single poster at Penny Arcade forum, and his post reads like total bullshit...

have you people read it yet?

Apparently it had an option to switch between N64 and HD graphics :lol

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
They got Goldeneye for the VC, MS get Goldeneye for the Xbox Live.

Everybody happy.

Everybody gets a lot of money.

Where's the smart business decision?...
At this point, does someone really have to tell to never go against the man who has created, not one, but two machines that print money? But besides, as property value, Redone GoldenEye>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> VC GE.

Maybe Micro should finally let Halo DS to come out and call it even.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
It's always Nintendo Japan. Bah! Japanese companies really need to start listening to their American counterparts. Sega, Nintendo and Sony have all fallen prey to this :/

jarrod

Banned
Prine said:

The problem with the source isn't in how the project was greenlit... it's in the notion that NCL had no legal recourse and basically had to "threaten" the project into cancellation. Hell, the earlier tidbit of the rumor even logically disproves the latter... why would MGS/Rare/Activision even enter into a preliminary deal with Reggie to port the game to Wii and bring Rare's back catalog to the VC if Nintendo had no legal say in things? Out of the goodness of their hearts? :lol

There's a pretty basic hole in logic with the article, and it's somewhat obvious it's doing it's best to paint Nintendo in the worst light possible.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
goldeneye is a shitty fps now, why would anyone want to play it? it was good at the time, just let it be

Evlar

Banned
Bullshit.

If Nintendo doesn't have legal rights they couldn't (and didn't) stop the project. If Nintendo doesn't have legal rights Rare and Activision wouldn't have sought Nintendo's approval to begin with, or even told them about it. Reggie would not (and could not) authorize such a project, even in the short term. And if Nintendo DOES have legal rights they would not have entered into such an informal arrangement with Rare and Activision over so many valuable XBLA and VC titles.

This article makes no sense at all from a business standpoint for any of the parties involved. It's either partially or entirely fabricated.

Diablos

Uhh, if true, that was foolish of Nintendo. Hello, you would have got it on Wii plus the back catalog. WTF. Goldeneye was overrated anyway, but still, I know a lot of people loved that game; both Wii and 360 gamers got screwed by some awfully stubborn thinking.

Prine

Banned
I recall Reggie saying somthing along the lines of "Goldeneye will happen" a couple of months ago

I would like to know if EA can release their Bond games now that Activition hold the license

Mamesj

Banned
There is no way the decision came down to only Iwata.

there are so many other licensing issues with this game besides Rare, MS, and Nintendo. The fact that the Penny-arcade post doesn't mention them at all makes it a BS post, imo.

RyanDG

Holy crap...

Did Xbox 360 World really publish a story from an informer by the name of Oddjaw2 posting on the Penny-arcade forums of all places?

Wow?

Shiggy

Prine said:
I would like to know if EA can release their Bond games now that Activition hold the license

Xbox World has an answer to that question: First they have to ask Iwata and the Pope for approval.

radioheadrule83 said:

This is amazing.

The sheer willingness of you guys to UNQUESTIONINGLY BELIEVE it because it was written in a magazine, EVEN THOUGH it came from a single poster at Penny Arcade forum, and his post reads like total bullshit...

A couple of xbla games have regular or enhanced options.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
And also, if it were to be published on XBLA, this would mean Mirco would be publishing it, which would be a breach of contract barring the consent of MGM(Sony). Activision only owns the rights, not the right to give those rights out.

Prine said:
I recall Reggie saying somthing along the lines of "Goldeneye will happen" a couple of months ago

Maybe from here?

Reggie said:
Would I love to see it on virtual console? Absolutely. But there are a lot of issues there. Suffice it to say we would love to see it, so we're exploring all the rights issues.
That sounds to me more like "I'd love to have Goldeneye on VC", and less like "I'd love to have Goldeneye on XBLA! And maybe VC too if we're real lucky!"

Endgegner

Crushed said:
Someone really needs to grill Iwata about this in an interview.

This isn't even taking your ball and going home, this is taking the ball you sold to another kid and going home.

So Iwata should be grilled about every anti nintendo bs some guy on a forum cooks up?

It would be a shame if it's true, but there is no somewhat legitemate source which backs this info.

duk

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:

This is amazing.

you're a forum poster, why should we believe you?

For people who obviously can't be bothered clicking links...

someone signed up to Penny Arcade forums in November 2007, so he's new, and this is one of his first posts:

It's probably a bit controversial to post this here... but I think it's something that needs to be said.

A team at Rare are month or two away from completing Goldeneye - 10th Anniversary Edition for Xbox Live Arcade. I've played it, and it's an absolutely fantastic port of the original game, with features such as -
Flawless recreation of the original gameplay. This is the original code - just running on an Xbox 360.
Rock solid 60 frames a second. (I saw it drop to 30 once when a ton of mines exploded.)
All new high def graphics (with the option to switch back to the original N64 graphics any time).
4-way online splitscreen multiplayer - see what the other 3 players can see, even over Live!
New multiplayer maps - play on the single player Dam, Depot or Frigate levels.

Now, there's only one small problem - you can't have it.

Negotiations with Nintendo have completely broken down. Satoru Iwata's final word is, roughly, "Goldeneye is a Nintendo product and should only be on a Nintendo platform". The team working on it have been sent home.

For the Xbox haters in the audience: no, this does not benefit you. If it doesn't come out, then neither Goldeneye, nor any other Rare game, will come out on Wii Virtual console in future. (Microsoft aren't that public spirited.) So Nintendo's decision is truly a benefit to nobody.

At this point, it looks like public opinion is the only hope. If you want Goldeneye to ever be rereleased, on a Nintendo platform or otherwise, speak up. Let Nintendo know they're acting like a bunch of jerks.

He posted the high-res texture pack pictures (sorry I mean screens of XBLA GE007) on the forum as well.

If someone signed up here and pulled this shit, we wouldn't put up with it. Why is it valid just because it was copied by some crappy UK magazine?

Top Bottom