• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The rearranged tracks for the Chrono Cross Remaster sound... Very different.

After fully listening I see what they were trying to achieve thematically. I think people will have the same mixed feelings they did with the FFX rearranged music. Hopefully like other remasters, you'll have the option to choose which version you want.

Wtf this sounds fucking horrible. I was 100% sure to buy Chrono Cross radical dreamers edition but after hearing this I'm having a second guess... this new rearranged Another Termina sounds absolutely horrible. WHATS THE POINT OF CHANGING SOMETHING WHICH IS SO GOOD IN THE ORIGINAL.

Original OST might be one of the best music pieces in GENERAL, not just video games. This new rearranged version is just spitting on it. Fuck you square lmao.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childrens_Book_RE_We_dont_say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s400x297-59009.jpg

If the originals tracks can still be selected like the version of FFX I just played I'm fine with it. If the originals can't be selected then they made a terrible mistake. I'll have to mod them back in if so.

Swift_Star

Banned
Wtf this sounds fucking horrible. I was 100% sure to buy Chrono Cross radical dreamers edition but after hearing this I'm having a second guess... this new rearranged Another Termina sounds absolutely horrible. WHATS THE POINT OF CHANGING SOMETHING WHICH IS SO GOOD IN THE ORIGINAL.

Original OST might be one of the best music pieces in GENERAL, not just video games. This new rearranged version is just spitting on it. Fuck you square lmao.
It gives people a reason to buy it and now it's using real instruments... Plus: it's optional, there's no reason for them NOT to do this.
If they didn't do it, people would say they're lazy for not rearranging the music.

Hugare

They will offer the option to choose original compositions

Welp, dont know what to say. It's ... different.

Didnt like what I heard. Most of them lacks the original energy. Termina lacks punch, same with Scars of Time.

I'll stick with the originals

Belthazar

They will offer the option to choose original compositions

Welp, dont know what to say. It's ... different.

Didnt like what I heard. Most of them lacks the original energy. Termina lacks punch, same with Scars of Time.

I'll stick with the originals

Yeah, I guess that's my problem with it too. It somehow sounds less alive than the originals, and it definitely shouldn't be the case as it's now using actual instruments.

laynelane

Thank goodness you can still choose the original tracks. I have a 3 disc cd set of the game's music, played the original game over and over, and I still love the music and can't wait to play the remaster.

CGiRanger

Banned
At the very least, get the fucking composer who originally did it back and have him redo it… the new artist interpretations here are shit. There is no ways around it.
LOL, Mitsuda is the one who oversaw the arrangement.

And his protege did most of the work.

Both of them are now on Xenoblade 3 I'd imagine

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
They could have rearranged the music with farts, no?

if you wanna rearrange you should do it properly.
To me it’s properly rearranged. They sound pretty good. Gamers are never happy with anything so this reaction is not surprising. It’s optional anyway.

Fbh

I've liked a lot of Chrono Cross Rearrangements over the years..... but most of these are not great.
WTF is that version of Sailing supposed to be? I literally paused the video to make sure there wasn't something else playing in the background.

Anyone who wants great alternative versions ( live with some rearrangements) should get the 20th anniversary concert. It's absolutely worth the $12.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
I may be mistaking this with Chrono Trigger, but didn't Mitsuda once comment that he almost killed himself working on the soundtrack?

I could see that maybe he'd want a drastic rearrangement owing in part to those feelings on some subconscious level lol

K2D

Banned
The overall quality is higher, but

the really nostalgic tracks are unrecognizable, and

I can see some of the town music still being grating after 5 minutes of looping.

.. of the tracks samples here, and of what little we've heard, it's a net loss* for the time being.

*edit: okay, the original tracks are in, so I will only occasionally shift from the original

Last edited:

Good grief at the hyperbole. Just select the original tracks.

Scotty W

This was done by the original composer.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They sound fantastic. Clearly different, hence why they are arranged/remixed tracks. However you are being hyperbolic as fuck.

Yumi

Do we know if you can switch on the fly? I actually liked swapping to hear the differences in the FFX remaster.

Elios83

Exactly. I dont think people read. Or they are just trolls who want a reason to cry/bitch about Square.
Indeed. They're optional and they're part of a new vinyl collection.
Really looking forward to play this since it will be the first time without an emulator (with annoying audio, FMVs and visual glitches).

Synless

Exactly. I dont think people read. Or they are just trolls who want a reason to cry/bitch about Square.
So I’ll speak on my behalf. I read it, great it’s optional. I knew that from the offset. You are saying I can’t express my displeasure that after 20+ years of hearing the same OST over and over that when they announced it was getting remastered and arranged tracks only to find that they sound like trash and kill the spirit of the originals?

I’m a troll for that? its not worth bitching about? Why do we have a forum For discussion? should I just echo chamber how great it is and step in line? No, I think I won’t.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah the rearranged tracks are dogshit. And some of the artwork and model changes are arguably worse IMO compared to the original. A straight port would have been preferable.

The art/sprite and model changes aren't terrible as a whole but I feel some of it clashes with the game itself on a artistic level. I feel the same way about the FF mobile "remakes".

The original music by far is superior. I can appreciate trying to do their own thing but you just lose the original tunes in these arrangements. It reminds me of some of OCRemixs bullshit arrangements where it just sounds nothing like the original and is something else entirely.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Well, guess you gotta get used to the new soundtrack because you won’t be able to switch back to the old one:

UPDATE: This article originally incorrectly stated that users can switch between the original and remastered soundtracks. Please note that this was in error and only the refined music can be played.

Top Bottom