• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Republican National Convention OT |2016|: Behold a Pale Horse With No Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dishwalla

Banned
Qsfcryz.gif

I now have at least one thing in common with Donald Trump..... we both want to bang his daughter.

SlimySnake
(Today, 2:08 AM)

Donald Told No Less Than 21 Fact Checked Proven Lies During His Acceptance Speech

Not sure if this was posted earlier but hot damn. The man lies in every word.

Good grief, I have an extremely strong feeling of just sheer hopelessness with politics in the US right now. I have no joke been consistently losing sleep over the state of US society since the Orlando shootings, and high profile bad news just has so much charged problems underlying it that should not have gone so ignored under any good guiding principles, and now we have this insane dude rallying an alarming amount of support and I just fail to comprehend that it's actually playing out like this.

I seriously feel like I need some counseling.

Good grief, I have an extremely strong feeling of just sheer hopelessness with politics in the US right now. I have no joke been consistently losing sleep over the state of US society since the Orlando shootings, and high profile bad news just has so much charged problems underlying it that should not have gone so ignored under any good guiding principles, and now we have this insane dude rallying an alarming amount of support and I just fail to comprehend that it's actually playing out like this.

Take heart m8, what's the worst that could possibly happen

Holmes

That's rough. Try occupying your mind with something else - games, books, a TV series, and try to get some rest. It'll be ok.

Independent Gary Johnson voter here. Even though I'm hoping that Trump loses big, it was refreshing in a way to see a candidate who says what they feel and hasn't focus tested every word and mannerism. It's a pretty big contrast to say Martin O'Malley or Marco Rubio.

Still, this man must be stopped.

Independent Gary Johnson voter here. Even though I'm hoping that Trump loses big, it was refreshing in a way to see a candidate who says what they feel and hasn't focus tested every word and mannerism. It's a pretty big contrast to say Martin O'Malley or Marco Rubio.

No disrespect, this speech was focus tested and ran through every simulation more than anything else in this cycle.

Was still fascist bile from a chameleon.

Amir0x

Banned

Just saying what you feel is not a positive quality inherently. That's why people have filters, because some things should not be said and just saying them anyway doesn't make you brave or refreshing. Sometimes, like tonight and every Trump day, it just makes you an asshole instead.

Slacker

Sorry to break it to you. He doesn't believe a damn word he said. He's playing to the rubes in the party who nominated him. Despite all the evidence to the contrary this week, he's actually not a complete idiot. He's telling people what they want to hear. I can 100% guaran-damn-tee you that had it looked like there was more of an opportunity on the Democratic side of the primaries back when he decided to jump in, he'd have gone that way and would be bloviating with equal enthusiasm for Democratic ideals as he was tonight for racism, xenophobia, and hate (aka Republican ideals).*

The man only believes in himself. He's a fraud and a huckster.

*He of course wouldn't win the nomination on the Democratic side. There are stupid people in the Democratic party certainly, but not enough to nominate Trump. Though if we nominate Kanye in eight years I'll admit I was wrong.

mjp2417

Banned

Trump is going to get slaughtered in November and the modern GOP, which has probably been more destructive than any party in our nation's history, is a dead (white, straight) man walking. The last time the Clintons were the ruling family, support for BLM and equal rights for LGBTQ folks were not part of their platform (quite the opposite in many ways). Despite the seemingly grim recent news, things are actually getting better politically.

You actually believe Trump is saying what he feels when he claims to present facts "plainly and honestly", says he will "will honor the American people with the truth, and nothing else", claims to care about the lives of inner city people of color and claims he is concerned about the income of poor Americans? And their healthcare? And schooling?

Really? That's interesting.

royalan

You actually believe Trump is saying what he feels when he claims to present facts "plainly and honestly", says he will "will honor the American people with the truth, and nothing else", claims to care about the lives of inner city people of color and claims he is concerned about the income of poor Americans? And their healthcare? And schooling?

Really? That's interesting.

SPEAK IT

Fact checkers are having a field day with his speech. The vast majority of it was fear mongering bullshit.

Havoc2049

Donald Told No Less Than 21 Fact Checked Proven Lies During His Acceptance Speech

Not sure if this was posted earlier but hot damn. The man lies in every word.

Someone needs to fact check that "fact checker".

I thought Ivanka knocked it out of the ballpark and The Don hit a solid stand-up double. Between Ivanka and The Don, they gave red meat to the base and made some strong appeals to women, Independents, the LGBTQ community, misguided Bernie supporters and blue collar Reagan Democrats. Good move to expand the party and go for the win in November.

I even choked up little bit when Trump mentioned the names of the parents from the Remembrance Project.

Glad there were more reporters than protesters.

Sorry to break it to you. He doesn't believe a damn word he said. He's playing to the rubes in the party who nominated him. Despite all the evidence to the contrary this week, he's actually not a complete idiot. He's telling people what they want to hear. I can 100% guaran-damn-tee you that had it looked like there was more of an opportunity on the Democratic side of the primaries back when he decided to jump in, he'd have gone that way and would be bloviating with equal enthusiasm for Democratic ideals as he was tonight for racism, xenophobia, and hate (aka Republican ideals).*

*He of course wouldn't win the nomination on the Democratic side. There are stupid people in the Democratic party certainly, but not enough to nominate Trump. Though if we nominate Kanye in eight years I'll admit I was wrong.

I don't know about him not meaning any of this, the CNN panel was highly critical of him for not giving the traditional "hope" and "optimism" acceptance speech. And he seems to be stalled at 40% in the polls. If he was merely playing politics, then why go with all red meat instead of the traditional political feel-good speech?

As for being genuine, it might be more in the disposition than content. Lord knows that his speeches are content-light anyway. That does seem like his real personality to me, at least on TV.

Dishwalla

Banned

I thought Ivanka knocked it out of the ballpark and The Don hit a solid stand-up double. Between Ivanka and The Don, they gave red meat to the base and made some strong appeals to women, Independents, the LGBTQ community, misguided Bernie supporters and blue collar Reagan Democrats. Good move to expand the party and go for the win in November.

I even choked up little bit when Trump mentioned the names of the parents from the Remembrance Project.

Which ones specifically?

Alucrid

Banned

a strong appeal to a group that his VP hates and that his party continues to stymie every chance they get at the state level? empty platitudes aren't that strong.

lol @ all of this.

Xe4

Banned

Fact check Politifact and WaPo? lol. Dude, it's a fact that Donald is one of the biggest liars in politics (way, waaaay worse than Hillary), as shown by a myriad of sources. You're just gonna have to accept that.

Fact check Politifact and WaPo? lol. Dude, it's a fact that Donald is one of the biggest liars in politics (way, waaaay worse than Hillary), as shown by a myriad of sources. You're just gonna have to accept that.

He's a Trump supporter, don't expect him to deal well with facts and evidence.

Let me get on that train.

Pepboy

Which ones specifically?

The very first one is misquoting / misattributing politifact (or rather, taking a quote out of context).

From the Article said:
Trump Lie: President Obama has doubled our national debt to more than $19 trillion, and growing.

Fact : “The total federal debt is at $19 trillion. But most of it was amassed before Obama took office.” [PolitiFact, 7/19/16]

Here's what Politifact 7/19/16 article actually says:

PolitiFact said:
Bixby; Maya MacGuineas, president of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget; and Rudolph Penner, a fellow at the Urban Institute and former director of the Congressional Budget Office, told us:

1. About half of the $19 trillion was amassed before Obama took office in January 2009.

So yes, about half of the debt was amassed before Obama took office. It's wrong to say Obama is the one that doubled it (it's not like he singlehandedly controls this stuff), but one could correctly say "National Debt has roughly doubled under the Obama administration."

Now the real reason seems to be a terrible economic recession the Obama administration had no hand in causing, so I'm not sure how convincing that is to people. But the article itself does need fact checking.

edit: While the politifact article does later say "most of it was amassed before Obama" they mean relative to the 0% that Rep. Sean Duffy claims. Not 70-80%, as it actually is quite close to 50%.

nomis

6e50WRT.jpg

geomon

Let me get on that train.

Let's take a moment to calm down a bit. We just got through seeing one of the most sickening displays of hate, intolerance, bigotry, misogyny, xenophobia, and racism play out for an entire week. Which reached its climax earlier tonight. I don't know about you guys but I'm mentally drained by it.

Hopefully the sun will seem brighter tomorrow.

So sites that are harshly scrutinize due to being base mainly on fact checking should be fact checked?

Obviously bait.

pigeon

Banned

I agree and disagree.

Trump really does tell it like he feels. Specifically, he does not use words with reference to what they mean or in an attempt to describe facts. Everything he says is just reflective of his current emotional state. That's why none of it is consistent or coherent. Truth is not a meaningful concept to him. He can't propose policies because that would require the ability to propose things and he doesn't have the attention span or understanding to meaningfully propose anything.

However, I don't think Trump would have jumped in either direction. Trump has been advocating for preventing immigration and imprisoning people of color for like twenty years.

Trump isn't really much, but he really is a racist and a white nationalist. There's only one party where that fits.

So sites that are harshly scrutinize due to being base mainly on fact checking should be fact checked?

Obviously bait.

It's the classic Trump/GOP Tacit. Spout off with a one-liner like "Hurr someone needs to fact check the fact checkers!", with absolutely no evidence to back it up, hope that plebs will take you at your word and spread this idea as gospel, and when called out on it, claim the people calling you out are just part of a liberal agenda. Watch, if dude ever posts here again in response to his BS being called out it'll be some form of "I should have known better than to dare support Trump on a liberal place like GAF..."

Thankfully going by his profile the guy resides in California, so his vote/support of Trump will be completely worthless.

Gattsu25

Banned
The very first one is misquoting / misattributing politifact (or rather, taking a quote out of context).

Here's what Politifact 7/19/16 article actually says:

So yes, about half of the debt was amassed before Obama took office. It's wrong to say Obama is the one that doubled it (it's not like he singlehandedly controls this stuff), but one could correctly say "National Debt has roughly doubled under the Obama administration."

Now the real reason seems to be a terrible economic recession the Obama administration had no hand in causing, so I'm not sure how convincing that is to people. But the article itself does need fact checking.

edit: While the politifact article does later say "most of it was amassed before Obama" they mean relative to the 0% that Rep. Sean Duffy claims. Not 70-80%, as it actually is quite close to 50%.
Are we reading the same article?
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin...p-sean-duffy-exaggerates-role-barack-obama-h/
Bixby; Maya MacGuineas, president of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget; and Rudolph Penner, a fellow at the Urban Institute and former director of the Congressional Budget Office, told us:

1. About half of the $19 trillion was amassed before Obama took office in January 2009.

2. Obama took office amid a deep recession, which meant government revenues fell and spending on government programs rose.

"The debt would have exploded certainly during (Obama’s) first term, no matter who was president," said Bixby.

3. Obama proposed federal budgets, but Congress, including the Republican leadership, ultimately holds the purse strings.

Obama bears some of the responsibility for not taking steps to prevent the debt from growing, "but attributing the debt to a president doesn’t make sense," said MacGuineas.

Duffy said: "Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton have left us with $19 trillion in debt."

The total federal debt is at $19 trillion. But most of it was amassed before Obama took office. And many factors -- Congress, the economy and Obama himself, but to almost no extent Clinton -- played a role in the debt increases during Obama’s tenure.

For a claim that contains some element of truth but ignores critical facts that would give a different impression, our rating is Mostly False.
They concluded that blaming Obama for the federal debt was a lie and also stated that most of it was amassed before Obama. Donald Trump is trying to lay the blame entirely on Obama's shoulders ("President Obama has doubled our national debt to more than $19 trillion, and growing.") a claim which they determined to be false. Someone needs to fact check the fact checker of the fact checker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom