• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

as if the Simmons/Lakers thing weren't bad enough, his son's actual name is Ben. Which means there's a chance Ben Simmons sees a Ben Simmons playing for the Lakers and, living in LA, becomes a Laker fan. It'd be like the most Twilight Zone ending of all of this for Bill.

Apparently Bill's son has told him that he will be a fan of whatever team Ben goes to, so this is a very real possibility.

gazele

Banned
as if the Simmons/Lakers thing weren't bad enough, his son's actual name is Ben. Which means there's a chance Ben Simmons sees a Ben Simmons playing for the Lakers and, living in LA, becomes a Laker fan. It'd be like the most Twilight Zone ending of all of this for Bill.

That'd be funny but lakers fans are so convinced they're getting Simmons I'd like to see him go to the 76ers

Nelo Ice

Banned
Ok I was leaning towards Ingram but this sounds too good to pass up.

jbug617

Banned
MLB podcast starts next week. Simmons and Jack O on the first one. There is going to be a rotation till they officially hire a MLB person.

bigkrev

MLB podcast starts next week. Simmons and Jack O on the first one. There is going to be a rotation till they officially hire a MLB person.

They mention that they are waiting for someone's contract to expire so they can pick them up. Jonah Keri went to SI in January, so it's obviously not him....

Any ideas?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man, that ep was so worth it just for Jacko finally abandoning ship on the repubs. Really need him on 1600 one time

That would be hilarious. JackO seems pretty "simple," politically. Like when he was ranting about Obama kissing the ring of Iran or whatever. Was straight out of the 80s USA USA playbook. But hey, credit for not supporting Trump. Gotta give him that. Simbo of all people went way fucking soft on Trump, basically playing the "two sides" card and being like "well, he did help NYC get some projects done...but why does he have to offend so many people." Yeah, like the only problem with Trump is that he offends people. He's not on your show Billy, you don't have to cower down like when Glazer was on.

Gigglepoo

So, the Ringer has an NBA guy who wouldn't have given Curry the MVP and an NFL guy who would rather have Andy Dalton than Aaron Rodgers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
They need to get Mallory on more podcasts. She could actually slot in nicely for Ryan who is spread too thin anyway.

ryseing

Kjt65AV.jpg

You sound like a dude who sits at home with the TV sound off watching Tarkovsky and hitting a bong.

ryseing

Chris is alright in my book.

Maybe it's because I really enjoy Andy and Juliet.

Fuck it, let's do staff rankings.

Mal> Jason> Juliet> Andy> Amanda> Chris out of the staffers I regularly listen to. Not sure where I'd put Bill in that list.

LifEndz

Fuck it, let's do staff rankings.

Mal> Jason> Juliet> Andy> Amanda> Chris out of the staffers I regularly listen to. Not sure where I'd put Bill in that list.

I like Mal a lot....but her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. She's got a bad case of the vocal fry thing some people do.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I actually like Mallory's voice for podcasts. Super geeky and quite different from most of the others on there and fits her style well, but I could see how it would be an acquired taste.

"Cam has always been this great!" I don't get how guys liked this get hired when there are so many brilliant NFL minds out there.

Yeah...between this and the NBA guy talking about how Steph shouldn't have been MVP, and basically coming up with quarter-baked Hot Takes for half an hour...I guess you'll just have to figure out who the good people are. Even Grantland had its share of duds imo who I would avoid.

jbug617

Banned
Simmons tweets

Launched the BS Podcast on Oct. 1 and it will exceed 50 million downloads by the end of next week. Motherships are overrated.
The best thing about making content in 2016 - if you have good content, people are going to find it no matter who you are and where you are.
We've launched 6 other podcasts to great success and we're going to launch 5 more soon. People will find them. It's 2016. This isn't hard.
We're going to launch @ringer next month - the site is going to be good immediately. People will find it. Quality is always going to win.
We didn't spend 1 dollar promoting our 7 @ringer podcasts - no ads, no favor-trading, nothing. Just Twitter and FB and cross-promotion.
Also excited to see how talented under-30 people figure out Snapchat these next 12 months - Snapchat is innovating in all the right ways.

Lol, yeah, no one knew who bill simmons was before the ringer

C'mon

If he didn't work for ESPN he wouldn't be so succesful now

I think that's his entire point. Why does he need a "mother ship" when he's a big enough name to just create and distribute his content himself?

I think that's his entire point. Why does he need a "mother ship" when he's a big enough name to just create and distribute his content himself?

He seems to be making a more general point about how quality is always going to win and big money promotion isn't important rather than boasting about how the Simmons brand is big enough on its own. There are plenty of internet startups that can't survive on quality and not every company has a celebrity with 5 million followers on Twitter alone to give them easy/free promotion.

Yeah, but the point is he became a brand in part because of being able to work for a place like ESPN. Sure, it's easier than ever to just get content out there, but to disregard everything but "content wins" is pretty silly.

Yeah, but the point is he became a brand in part because of being able to work for a place like ESPN. Sure, it's easier than ever to just get content out there, but to disregard everything but "content wins" is pretty silly.

I'm sure in his case that was a huge help, but the climate in media is changing. There are so many avenues and outlets for people to get content, and for people to spread content via word of mouth, that his point that you no longer need a mother ship is valid. Bill is from a prior generation, he started out AOL for crying out loud, but I think even he recognizes it. Between the internet and social media, if you do good shit, you will get noticed.

Gigglepoo

Bryan Curtis is great. I would love if his media podcast become a regular thing. I'm also shocked he got ESPN people on this episode.

ryseing

Bryan Curtis is great. I would love if his media podcast become a regular thing. I'm also shocked he got ESPN people on this episode.

His pod with James Andrew Curtis was great. Actually led me to read Those Guys Have All the Fun which was top notch.

KingKong

He seems to be making a more general point about how quality is always going to win and big money promotion isn't important rather than boasting about how the Simmons brand is big enough on its own. There are plenty of internet startups that can't survive on quality and not every company has a celebrity with 5 million followers on Twitter alone to give them easy/free promotion.

I'll be interested to see how well the Ringer website does since it's basically going to be Grantland 2.0, which apparently died because it wasnt being promoted by ESPN enough

thought the nice thing is that it doesn't have to make money to keep running

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'll be interested to see how well the Ringer website does since it's basically going to be Grantland 2.0, which apparently died because it wasnt being promoted by ESPN enough

thought the nice thing is that it doesn't have to make money to keep running

Didn't get killed because of insufficient pageviews. It was just that ESPN did very little to promote it, so it probably didn't get the views it could have. No Grantland on ESPN mobile and I think they only ever lead espn.com with a Grantland story once (insane when you think of the quality stories Grantland put out and the tripe that meets the bar otherwise) so it's relatively indisputable imo. Only after Simmons left that they start promoting former Grantland writers. Seems pretty much like Grantland died because ESPN and Simmons couldn't see eye to eye (on issues including the promotion one).

We'll see about ringer. I hope some of the unknowns turn out to be great. Right now the quality of writers seems a notch below but still very much tbd.

KingKong

Didn't get killed because of insufficient pageviews. It was just that ESPN did very little to promote it, so it probably didn't get the views it could have. No Grantland on ESPN mobile and I think they only ever lead espn.com with a Grantland story once (insane when you think of the quality stories Grantland put out and the tripe that meets the bar otherwise) so it's relatively indisputable imo. Only after Simmons left that they start promoting former Grantland writers. Seems pretty much like Grantland died because ESPN and Simmons couldn't see eye to eye (on issues including the promotion one).

We'll see about ringer. I hope some of the unknowns turn out to be great. Right now the quality of writers seems a notch below but still very much tbd.

right, but that goes against his idea that quality will always win out

I think by now it's clear from websites like The Dissolve dying out that it's absolutely not true and it's all about clicks

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
right, but that goes against his idea that quality will always win out

I think by now it's clear from websites like The Dissolve dying out that it's absolutely not true and it's all about clicks

Oh yeah totally -- I think that was an absolute overstatement that was probably not precisely as intended -- "quality will always win out." He's acknowledged even on the early ringer pods that he owes a ton to ESPN in terms of getting his name out there, but yeah he does sometimes seem to have a naive view of how quality will just prevail regardless. I think it is very self-minded -- basically he's saying he personally doesn't need ESPN anymore and can make ringer successful without a corporate mothership. And that's probably true. But yeah for joe schmoe great writer in his garage much less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom