• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
You mean it didn't reference Beyonce every two minutes?

Pretty heavy Kim K referencing tho... I mean that it was a little more serious, less of a big goof. They had a couple cool guests that were real people and not just their friends. It felt like Reply All; "tech" in the sense of Internet culture and not "what's new in phones".

Gigglepoo

Pretty heavy Kim K referencing tho... I mean that it was a little more serious, less of a big goof. They had a couple cool guests that were real people and not just their friends. It felt like Reply All; "tech" in the sense of Internet culture and not "what's new in phones".

The tech podcast was good but it has a long way to go to get to Reply All's level. I don't think Simmons even wants to compete with the likes Gimlet, though. Those shows seem to take a lot more time, editing, and research to put together whereas most of Channel 33 (aside from Bryan Curtis' show?) are just stream of consciousness or raw interviews.

Reply All is a good comparison for content but I do wish Channel 33 did try to compete with the highly produced Gimlet shows once and a while.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah for sure. Reply All is a particularly silly comparison to make right now as Reply All are in the midst of this four-episode, heavily-researched, investigative piece on a murder trial. I'm pretty sure this Ringer tech pod will be more pop culture and less-produced than that. I just figure someone interested in the one might be interested in the other.

Gigglepoo

Yeah for sure. Reply All is a particularly silly comparison to make right now as Reply All are in the midst of this four-episode, heavily-researched, investigative piece on a murder trial. I'm pretty sure this Ringer tech pod will be more pop culture and less-produced than that. I just figure someone interested in the one might be interested in the other.

How great is Reply All? This latest string of episodes is like having a mini Serial (season one). Really excellent stuff.

Oh, and for people not following House on Twitter, he said there's no NBA Final Preview Podcast coming. Kind of obvious since tipoff is in 90 minutes but whatever. House picked the Cavs in 6.

Maybe we'll get Simmons basketball thoughts tomorrow?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Rouuggggh NBA pod with Tate, Chris Ryan, and Travon Free. You're in real trouble when Tate is BY FAR the best part of your show. I know they were launching the site, but seems like a missed opportunity when the only real pod discussion of one of the best series in recent NBA memory is a couple of bozos (Ryan and Free) basically shitting on the Warriors. Free is like a bad GAF poster come to life in terms of his commenting on the NBA (this was the guy who said Steph didn't deserve the MVP), and Ryan is just universally pretty bad. /shrug

ryseing

That Jesse Plemons/Kirsten Dunst article was so bad, they already hid it from the front page. A writer who thinks "the Fargo TV show sucks" is a good hot take is one I can safely ignore in the future.

I had the exact same thought. I appreciate a good celebrity relationship hot take but saying Fargo sucks is a bridge too far.

gazele

Banned
Rouuggggh NBA pod with Tate, Chris Ryan, and Travon Free. You're in real trouble when Tate is BY FAR the best part of your show. I know they were launching the site, but seems like a missed opportunity when the only real pod discussion of one of the best series in recent NBA memory is a couple of bozos (Ryan and Free) basically shitting on the Warriors. Free is like a bad GAF poster come to life in terms of his commenting on the NBA (this was the guy who said Steph didn't deserve the MVP), and Ryan is just universally pretty bad. /shrug

I thought Tate was actually really good, but as you said it may have been in comparison

I don't hate Ryan but free is super annoying, I don't like how he says he's a player because he played at long beach or wherever, his opinions don't help either

In other news, this week's Jam Session is lit. To no one's surprise.

Juliet and Amanda are throwing heaters like 99 Pedro. /Tortured Simbo sports reference

Gigglepoo

That Jesse Plemons/Kirsten Dunst article was so bad, they already hid it from the front page. A writer who thinks "the Fargo TV show sucks" is a good hot take is one I can safely ignore in the future.

As an unemployed writer, this article makes me particularly angry.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ringer is promoting this "Warriors are the perfect bandwagon team" article:
https://theringer.com/nba-finals-golden-state-warriors-bandwagon-team-5fafef9a59a8#.hkbgtdf3m

But it barely makes sense. Doesn't even really try to support its premise, just seems like random pontification on the series. One thing's for sure though, they're definitely going for short-form more on Ringer than Grantland. I was a bit disappointed by Simmons being upset on the pod that Grantland got known as a longform place. Why would you be bothered by that? Was by far their best stuff. Most of their pithy pieces I found indistinguishable from the nameless stuff on Buzzfeed, Bleacher Report, etc. (as I do now with Ringer). It's the longer more thoughtful stuff that stands out.

Gigglepoo

One thing's for sure though, they're definitely going for short-form more on Ringer than Grantland. I was a bit disappointed by Simmons being upset on the pod that Grantland got known as a longform place. Why would you be bothered by that? Was by far their best stuff. Most of their pithy pieces I found indistinguishable from the nameless stuff on Buzzfeed, Bleacher Report, etc. (as I do now with Ringer). It's the longer more thoughtful stuff that stands out.

There's a chance Simmons doesn't understand what made Grantland special. It was one of the few places that gave entertainment the importance it deserves. It was the in-depth, detailed looks at things other sites would gloss over or ignore completely that gave Grantland its voice and if Simmons thinks we really want pithy pieces of Witherspoon's new boyfriend or a shallow argument why the Warriors are the perfect bandwagon team, well, RIP Grantland.

It's still early, though. But I am worried about The Ringer's future given Simmons' comments.

EDIT:

Simmons Ringer debut: The KD Conundrum

ryseing

Mailbag when? We haven't had a Simmons mailbag in over a year. I need my fix.

GOT preview with just Mallory and Network was so so great

Just listened. It was pretty funny how they were struggling to restrain themselves from LSH spoilers. All in all though I feel like they both do a good job of explaining book concepts to show watchers.

Fjordson

Finally started reading some stuff on the site today (been stupid busy at work this week) and I like the layout. Digging the bright green and that "time to read" feature is actually pretty neat. Never seen that before.

Bread

Banned
hahaha such blatant lobbying to get KD to Boston.

Give it up Simmons. No marquee free agent will ever pick Boston over Miami/LA/PHX
They do in other sports, why wouldn't they in basketball? They haven't had cap space to sign a max guy in decades.

It was definitely an obvious push by Simmons though, you're right.

beat

One thing's for sure though, they're definitely going for short-form more on Ringer than Grantland. I was a bit disappointed by Simmons being upset on the pod that Grantland got known as a longform place. Why would you be bothered by that?
My understanding is that long form journalism is impressive, esp to fellow journalists, but it's got a very low cost to benefit ratio. Pieces are admired more than they're read.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
My understanding is that long form journalism is impressive, esp to fellow journalists, but it's got a very low cost to benefit ratio. Pieces are admired more than they're read.

I think they'll do long form. I just think they want to make sure they don't get lost in long form pieces, as the vast majority of people will be reading this at work or on their phone, and don't want to sit for 25 minutes reading the Oral History of TV Shows Filmed in Vancouver.

It has it's place-- and I can't imagine he'd get the talent that he has if he was outright saying "No" to long form-- but maybe 1 out of 10 articles or so as long form would be just fine by me.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
They do in other sports, why wouldn't they in basketball? They haven't had cap space to sign a max guy in decades.

It was definitely an obvious push by Simmons though, you're right.

For black athletes - Boston's past reputation doesn't help itself in that respect.

The biggest downside of leaving ESPN is that Simmons' homerism has gone from "funny fan" to "obnoxious" as there is no one to sort of keep it at least a little in line. (See: KD piece)

Besides that - Keepin it 1600 is awesome, NFL pod is good...rest are a little blah for my tastes currently.

so far I'm 50/50 on most of the content. Some really good articles, and some that just feel like total filler that was done in like 5 minutes in order to have a ton of content on day 1. I kind of like the shorter form they are going for, to be honest. Can read an article or two while on the crapper at work. The way Bill emphasized how they were really looking to optimize it for phones and tablets leads me to believe this was absolutely their intention. I like the look too. I've heard some say it looks dated, but to me it's super clean and unobtrusive and runs smoothly, which for a site like this is all I really ask for.

Dr.Acula

Banned
One thing's for sure though, they're definitely going for short-form more on Ringer than Grantland. I was a bit disappointed by Simmons being upset on the pod that Grantland got known as a longform place. Why would you be bothered by that? Was by far their best stuff. Most of their pithy pieces I found indistinguishable from the nameless stuff on Buzzfeed, Bleacher Report, etc. (as I do now with Ringer). It's the longer more thoughtful stuff that stands out.

So far, I've clicked a bunch of interesting headlines, but I've been disappointed by how many have the dreaded "4 min read" at the top. I've read longer posts on GAF.

Yeah, so the premise is hella weak. I assumed from the article that these commercials might be a little deeper than they are, but in the end, they're just commercials. She's fully below Trivago guy (American actor scooped up from German soap operas by a German travel company who dresses him how they think an American public will most relate to him -rumpled, sleeves rolled up, beltless (because the belt wouldn't fit the loops of his pants), unshaven (the soap opera needed continuity)).

The worst thing is that the writer name checks the McConaughey Lincoln commercials, which are far more interesting.

Did you know it's a series of commercials? With actors? Dialog? A plot? That they're directed by Gus Van Sant?

Where's the story there?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Love how Simbo has barely covered an NBA playoffs that may feature the best team of all time and definitely had one of the all-time great series. Just shits on GSW with a dumb tweet every few days is about the extent of his coverage. I get it though. He's been firmly in the contrarian corner re GSW for a while now, and pretty much dying for them to lose and already having said OKC deserved to win the last series. He also wanted GSW choking to wipe out the Pats 18-1 (which was a hilarious proposition -- they will always be the biggest chokers in that group of super-dominant teams just b/c of the undefeated aspect and also the franchise involved).

Meanwhile I have a bunch of random Ringer articles I can barely make heads or tails of and still no Simbo.

ryseing

Love how Simbo has barely covered an NBA playoffs that may feature the best team of all time and definitely had one of the all-time great series. Just shits on GSW with a dumb tweet every few days is about the extent of his coverage. I get it though. He's been firmly in the contrarian corner re GSW for a while now, and pretty much dying for them to lose and already having said OKC deserved to win the last series. He also wanted GSW choking to wipe out the Pats 18-1 (which was a hilarious proposition -- they will always be the biggest chokers in that group of super-dominant teams just b/c of the undefeated aspect and also the franchise involved).

Meanwhile I have a bunch of random Ringer articles I can barely make heads or tails of and still no Simbo.

Something something launching a site is tough. I can't be too hard on the staff in the first few weeks. No BS pod about the Finals is ridiculous though.

Gigglepoo

It's weird that anyone would try to discredit the Warriors because of what happened in the Western Conference Finals. I was excited to hear Simmons do a podcast where he said they elevated to another level historical because of their comeback but he's taking the other stance. I don't get it.

Something something launching a site is tough. I can't be too hard on the staff in the first few weeks. No BS pod about the Finals is ridiculous though.

Yeah, it's hard, but he's the main draw. Carving out an hour or two to do podcasts is pretty important.

EDIT -- I sound super entitled,, don't I?

ryseing

It's weird that anyone would try to discredit the Warriors because of what happened in the Western Conference Finals. I was excited to hear Simmons do a podcast where he said they elevated to another level historical because of their comeback but he's taking the other stance. I don't get it.

Yeah, it's hard, but he's the main draw. Carving out an hour or two to do podcasts is pretty important.

EDIT -- I sound super entitled,, don't I?

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to avoid getting upset about it. Simmons doesn't owe me shit.

Decided to read a few articles during lunch today and I have to say I hate everything about the look of The Ringer. The awful green that's everywhere, the general design and the awkward ad placement just makes it all look like shit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
so far I'm 50/50 on most of the content. Some really good articles, and some that just feel like total filler that was done in like 5 minutes in order to have a ton of content on day 1. I kind of like the shorter form they are going for, to be honest. Can read an article or two while on the crapper at work. The way Bill emphasized how they were really looking to optimize it for phones and tablets leads me to believe this was absolutely their intention. I like the look too. I've heard some say it looks dated, but to me it's super clean and unobtrusive and runs smoothly, which for a site like this is all I really ask for.

I get the desire for shorter pieces but I do think one downside is that having a splashy longform piece can get you a lot of attention even if not many people read it at all. Totally from my own perspective and I could be wrong about this but I haven't really seen Ringer bubble up into even the Internet consciousness yet. It's almost like having a console launch without a big name behind the console or any AAA titles it feels like.

Rainy

Banned
Unless my feed is messed up, the last BS Pod was May 27th right? That's a bit ridiculous. (I know we're not owed anything but...yeah)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Unless my feed is messed up, the last BS Pod was May 27th right? That's a bit ridiculous. (I know we're not owed anything but...yeah)

Rest assured Simmons is not podcasting or writing because he's full devoted to yet another subpar TV gig. Isn't Simmons always harping on the "stay in your lane" thing? Kind of ironic considering.

Rest assured Simmons is not podcasting or writing because he's full devoted to yet another subpar TV gig. Isn't Simmons always harping on the "stay in your lane" thing? Kind of ironic considering.

His Grantland NBA show on ESPN was very good, so I'd say that IS his lane.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
His Grantland NBA show on ESPN was very good, so I'd say that IS his lane.

I hope so (since it's clearly something he wants to pursue)! I thought a lot of the quality of the Grantland show was owing to Lowe though, and he's really mediocre in appearances otherwise, but then again it is HBO and it is entirely in his control (rather than being stuck on a panel where he and the host hate each other (ESPN NBA)) so maybe all the pieces are in place for something good.

I hope so (since it's clearly something he wants to pursue)! I thought a lot of the quality of the Grantland show was owing to Lowe though, and he's really mediocre in appearances otherwise, but then again it is HBO and it is entirely in his control (rather than being stuck on a panel where he and the host hate each other (ESPN NBA)) so maybe all the pieces are in place for something good.

We'll see. he doesn't mind having people on his pods so I imagine his HBO show will follow suit and he'll hav eplenty of guests on.

DominoKid

loving the site so far. i just dont like how they're placing the stories. i miss some new stuff cause it isnt highlighted at the top.

Chuck Klosterman has a story today! (it's an excerpt from his upcoming book)

Just finished it, think I'll really like his new book. His writing style can be a bit long winded sometimes (works better as a podcast guest in that regard), but the things he discusses in that excerpt are things I didn't know I cared about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom