• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The River | OT | Season 1 | From the makers Paranormal Activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamenSenshi

Isn't this show only supposed to be around 8 episodes long anyway? I've been going under the assumption that this is a one(season) and done, which is great.No filler just straight to the point.

Zalasta

What a dumb show. For a bunch of people that have worked on a nature exploration series for several decades, and have traveled the globe to exotic locales, they cannot tell those are bats in the cave and the sound of a hog? One lone girl who apparently knows every legend they encounter. Not to mention after all this time they have never seen anything supernatural and now all of a sudden it's everywhere they turn? I guess they really don't expect much from its audiences.

show is already getting stale for me. people need to be in serious danger to invoke tension, and they can't be because 5 episodes are still coming, they won't off another character before the last 2-3 episodes.
the horror formula with a small main cast in a remote location without anyone who could come in to fill the holes in the ranks for those who die doesn't really work that well for a series. it might be that I'm just generally not afraid of nature, but the supposedly tense cave stuff did nothing for me. bats, so what?

show is already getting stale for me. people need to be in serious danger to invoke tension, and they can't be because 5 episodes are still coming, they won't off another character before the last 2-3 episodes.
the horror formula with a small main cast in a remote location without anyone who could come in to fill the holes in the ranks for those who die doesn't really work that well for a series. it might be that I'm just generally not afraid of nature, but the supposedly tense cave stuff did nothing for me. bats, so what?

That's the other way this show resembles Scooby Doo. You never get the feeling that any of the characters are in real peril.

That's the other way this show resembles Scooby Doo. You never get the feeling that any of the characters are in real peril.
I haven't seen Paranormal Activity yet, but i heard it is really fucking scary, so I went in expecting pants-shitting terror from this, not a family friendly romp.
Just a case of wrong expectations, I guess. The show is still kinda entertaining, I guess.
I really dig the camera stuff, even tho some of it is ridiculous (token black guy backtracking to get the cameras? lol)
Also, I've never been less attached to a show's cast since The Walking Dead. Everyone could die a horrible death and I wouldn't really care.
I don't even know any names, FFS.

antonz

I haven't seen Paranormal Activity yet, but i heard it is really fucking scary, so I went in expecting pants-shitting terror from this, not a family friendly romp.
Just a case of wrong expectations, I guess. The show is still kinda entertaining, I guess.
I really dig the camera stuff, even tho some of it is ridiculous (token black guy backtracking to get the cameras? lol)
Also, I've never been less attached to a show's cast since The Walking Dead. Everyone could die a horrible death and I wouldn't really care.

Paranormal Activity is also very successful due to the lack of commercials. There is no break in the action so your never breaking from the wtf is gonna happen next.

Replicant

Paranormal Activity is the most boring horror movie I had to endure. I almost fell asleep at some parts of it.

Okay episode tonight. Interesting to see the douchebag boyfriend from Californication in this now lol The Source is gonna be where all magic originates? I guess the mercenary is hired by some corporation to come get it?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
When Tess and Clark were checking out Jonas' cellphone footage of the ceremony, did anyone else notice that his cellphone video contained security cam footage? lol

I guess the mercenary is hired by some corporation to come get it?

Seems like it. Pretty cliche if you ask me. There's always some sort of evil corporation trying to steal something.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings were pretty steady last night with 4.7 million and a 1.7 18/49. Still not good enough for a second season but I'm okay with that.

ultron87

I really wish that Jonas had actually died at the end. And that only after that they realized they just would've had to break his phone's screen. It at least would've shown that everything isn't always going to end perfectly. There really isn't a sense of peril anymore after the cameraman escaping from that (I must say quite terrifying) cave in and two different people being spared after deciding to sacrifice themselves to save everyone else.

I do like how it played back into the whole "cameras steal your soul" superstition.

aku:jiki

I really liked this show and will continue to watch it; didn't even dislike the characters very much and I think the son is the best actor the show's got. Or, well...he's like the only character so far to get any sort of character development, except for tiny bits with spanish mechanic and Lena. Loving the suspense and the unique concept of the show. And the locations! Awesome.

What I don't like is how stupid the producers think we are! "It is [UNTRANSLATABLE]." Really? Really? And the myriad of impossible camera angles they keep using. Like the scene in episode 2, I think, where mom and son asked to be alone to talk. Mom references the installed camera behind them, but there's a shot of them from the front. That would be off the boat! Who was filming black camera guy when he was filming the dolls alone, exactly? How did they get the footage from the camera that was dragged into the lake with the first guy to die? Come on! Those are just three examples but I swear they do this in every scene. Viewers aren't droolingly retarded, man. Don't do that insulting shit.

Another good episode tonight. Beecher from Oz made an appearance! Haven't seen him in anything in awhile. They don't seem to be making much progress in finding Emmet, but they are getting into crazy shit every week. Apparently this is the worst river ever. Also, apparently Jahel is a freak and was ready to get down with the guy after only knowing him a few minutes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
While the ending may have been cheesy, I think tonight's episode may have been the best one yet. Though, I found the Exodus crew to be a lot creepier before they revealed themselves as ghosts, and the lame "ghost effect" certainly didn't do them any favors in the scariness department.

I liked the 'Blair Witch' spoof Lena acted out on the Exodus before she and Russ get captured.

Nitpicks:

Early on, there's a scene where Lincoln is speaking (in spanish) with Jahel, and then 10 minutes later after she explicitly states the nature of the damage done to the ship, he asks Emilio what kind of damage it was, as if he didn't understand spanish...

Jahel also says that no one else on the boast aside from Lincoln speaks spanish, but Tess does. A lot.

Also, apparently Jahel is a freak and was ready to get down with the guy after only knowing him a few minutes.

lol

Finally got around to watching the pilot for this.

I was going to write a 10 page manifesto on everything being done so terribly wrong on this show, but I think I'll hold off judgment until I watch the next 2-3. Damn though did I have a hard time finishing the first one. Paranormal Activity this is not (I nearly died laughing at the found footage severed arm *plop*)

Finally got around to watching the pilot for this.

I was going to write a 10 page manifesto on everything being done so terribly wrong on this show, but I think I'll hold off judgment until I watch the next 2-3. Damn though did I have a hard time finishing the first one. Paranormal Activity this is not (I nearly died laughing at the found footage severed arm *plop*)

The first is the worst episode. Trust me. It gets much better starting episode 3 I believe.

Yeah, it's obviously getting cancelled, but won't stop me from enjoying the 8 episodes they put out:) It's supposed to have a satisfying conclusion at the end of 8 I think I recall one of the producers saying in an interview.

RatskyWatsky said:
Looks like I need to watch OZ.

Definitely. It was my favorite tv show ever at the time it came on. It gets kind of crazy in the last couple of seasons, but the first 4 were incredible tv.

that was some Pirates of the Caribbean ghost stuff. lol

so wat camera was shooting those ghost screaming behind the door while the boat was burning. lol

wat lunacy will Scooby and the Gang face next episode

Zyzyxxz

Yeah, it's obviously getting cancelled, but won't stop me from enjoying the 8 episodes they put out:) It's supposed to have a satisfying conclusion at the end of 8 I think I recall one of the producers saying in an interview.

It better be satisfying I normally don't jump on new shows but this one got me hooked.

Can't handle another John Doe.

TripOpt55

That was one of the best episodes of this show I think. Pretty cool. Hopefully they give some closure at the end of eight episodes. Not the greatest show, but I have been enjoying it for the most part.

rellix

Hoping it's not cancelled, but I can definitely see the camera nonsense turning away people at times (including myself).

That, and the sometimes terrible acting and writing. I'm not sure who's fault it is, but the lack of fear/basic emotion when the characters are confronted with danger has gotten ridiculous. Look at the last episode, and the completely goofy attitude that Lena and Jonas carry when trespassing aboard the Exodus and hearing sounds.. come on. I'd have shat myself and been nowhere near their boat.

Interesting episode. It was nice to see what happened to Lincoln's dad from a different point of view. The big question now is, will we find out what happened to him and all the other people at that station in the next 2 episodes?

aku:jiki

That, and the sometimes terrible acting and writing. I'm not sure who's fault it is, but the lack of fear/basic emotion when the characters are confronted with danger has gotten ridiculous. Look at the last episode, and the completely goofy attitude that Lena and Jonas carry when trespassing aboard the Exodus and hearing sounds.. come on. I'd have shat myself and been nowhere near their boat.
I think Lena and Jonas were supposed to be a little drunk there, but they really messed up the editing and made it look like they were were the only ones staying perfectly sober. But Jonas made a drunk joke right around when token black guy commented that they never drink, so they would've had to have had one or two for Jonas to make that joke.

Also, I haven't had a celebrity crush or anything since I was like 17, but I swear I'd swim through lava for Lena. God damn. God damn.

JoeBoy101

Last nights episode was alright. Middle of the road compared to other episodes, but the setup with the outpost is very interesting. Was not expecting that at all. That and the promo makes next week look intriguing.

I did like the short bits they did with the demon. Looked kinda cool.

Just finished watching The Emmet Cole episode. That was fantastically well acted and put together. was at the edge of my seat throughout. The dr emett cole actor was perfectly cast and the delirium in the latter half of his journey was really convincing. cool leaf demon VFX too.

The phone sequence and reaction shots of the cast were perfect to them watching this video.

Thank god the dog survived. That's all I care about.

Haha yup. I actually hit the 30 second skip button when I saw the knife come into frame. Was so relieved when they found him in the jungle at the end.

Also, I remember when promos were first being ran for this show they showed a clip of a dock and a big lizard like tail coming out the water and hitting the deck? Did I miss an episode or was this just for a preview?

You missed Bruce Greenwood's best scene of the episode, then. I suggest going back and watching it.

Ya I went back at the end of the episode. He's pretty good. I really don't know him much outside of Star Trek and a series he was on a long time ago called "Nowhere Man".

rellix

Just finished watching The Emmet Cole episode. That was fantastically well acted and put together. was at the edge of my seat throughout. The dr emett cole actor was perfectly cast and the delirium in the latter half of his journey was really convincing. cool leaf demon VFX too.

The phone sequence and reaction shots of the cast were perfect to them watching this video.

Emmet was perfectly cast and Bruce is by far the shining star of the series. It's really unfortunate that they dragged us through 5 episodes before letting the viewer actually focus on him. Instead, we've been focusing on the characters focusing on him, and that lack of a connection to the Emmet has really sucked.

Hopefully that's fixed from here out.

I thought it was an excellent episode. Some parts were very predictable
(finding the dude skinned in the tree, or when Emmet falls to the ground unable to whistle, as if we didn't know he was going to be rescued/picked up)
, but it was really well done. It was nice to get a thrilling episode yet not have it be the same crew banging their heads against a wall.

btw, the phone call was one of the best parts of the show, imo.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Also the dog scene was sad... love Bruce.

Yeah. That was a pretty well acted scene. I was really relieved when he didn't go through with it.

Emmet was perfectly cast and Bruce is by far the shining star of the series. It's really unfortunate that they dragged us through 5 episodes before letting the viewer actually focus on him. Instead, we've been focusing on the characters focusing on him, and that lack of a connection to the Emmet has really sucked.

Yep. I think it was a big mistake to save the Emmett back story for episode 6. On a show that's all about his rescue, they really should have made us care about him sooner.

TripOpt55

This past one was my favorite episode yet. Who knew they just had to sit the crew in front of a monitor and have them watch Emmet for an episode... haha. Emmet was fantastic though. But I liked that Lena found her marking and the ending was great.

When the scene with the dog was happening, I was basically saying to myself, "No don't do that. I love this episode. If you kill the dog I will hate this episode." Glad he didn't. I would have been crushed. Wish more people were watching this. Curious what they will do with these last couple episodes.

Tonight's episode is insane. I recommend everyone watch. Spoiler
ZOMBIES!
plus another surprise. This is one of the best episodes yet, if not the best.

I got some serious Resident Evil videogame vibes off of this episode. I wonder if it was the inspiration for everything at the plant.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Zombies?! The problem is: zombies created by pharmaceutical experimentation (aka Resident Evil) just don't fit in with ghosts and magic. There's no cohesion with any of the stuff that's going on; they just seem to be throwing in everything they can think of. I wouldn't be surprised if Emmett turned out to be a vampire or something.

The episode did have me on the edge of my seat though, and in terms of scariness, this was the best episode yet. Which, I guess, is what matters in the end. I just hope they can wrap everything up satisfactorily next week.

strafer

So they found Emmet and he is alive. Now what?

They gotta pull something big out of their ass to keep the show going now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom