• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

SirPenguin

Member
Oct 8, 2008
1,583
0
0
Jackson said:
Well if you're a teacher... use an overhead projector, place the DS where the paper would go and voila! Scribblenauts on the big screen.
I'm trying to get my CompSci professor to do just that. Honestly, this game is basically the very DEFINITION of object oriented programming, and it'd be dirt easy to teach the concept via Scribblenauts
 

lordoftherink

Member
Feb 26, 2009
2,273
0
0
Abbotsford, BC
Jackson said:
Well if you're a teacher... use an overhead projector, place the DS where the paper would go and voila! Scribblenauts on the big screen.
Wouldn't it just project a black screen in the shape of the DS? I thought special transparent paper with the words printed on it had to be used for a projecter.
 

autobzooty

Member
May 10, 2008
3,624
0
770
How did you guys beat 3-2 action stage? I feel like I did it in a stupid way and I wanna know how others did it. I basically just
snagged the ice cube with a fishing rod before it fell into the lava, and then used an ice pick to get the starite out.
 

Blizzard

Banned
Jan 23, 2008
36,027
0
0
Jak140 said:
again, missing the point.
I hadn't noticed the bullet thing, but I mean, I'm not altogether sure it was meant with deep significance. Say, t-rexes can easily defeat God. Apparently a lot of stuff easily kills God. Should millions of Christian/whatever people be offended because God isn't as strong as a T-Rex or longcat in this game? God defeats Satan, well what about Satanists? :p I guess I just don't see too many people caring about exactly how strong God or a priest or a rabbi is, but maybe I'm wrong.

Hawkian, he was saying that priests apparently survive bullets but rabbis don't, which is potentially offensive to Jews I guess?

lordoftherink, I think Jackson may have been referring to an overhead projector with a camera. My school had some, as opposed to the transparent overhead projector kind.
 

Jak140

Member
Jun 9, 2004
4,165
0
1,455
Hawkian said:
How? You're not invincible if you can be turned undead and then dismembered.
I hate to have to keep repeating myself, but priests are invincible to firearms/bombs, while rabbis and imams aren't. Also, the god is more of a generic god, as Zeus spawns the same character.
 

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Jul 19, 2009
1,004
0
0
I find it funny how a mobster knows how to operate a bomb, but doesn't run away.:lol
 

Achtius

Member
Sep 21, 2007
6,785
0
1,020
autobzooty said:
How did you guys beat 3-2 action stage? I feel like I did it in a stupid way and I wanna know how others did it. I basically just
snagged the ice cube with a fishing rod before it fell into the lava, and then used an ice pick to get the starite out.
i attach 2 balloons to the icecube and RUN into the lava
 

Blizzard

Banned
Jan 23, 2008
36,027
0
0
Jak140 said:
I hate to have to keep repeating myself, but priests are invincible to firearms/bombs, while rabbis and imams aren't.
I explained this point, and responded to it, above. :)
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,618
0
820
Jak140 said:
I hate to have to keep repeating myself, but priests are invincible to firearms/bombs, while rabbis and imams aren't.
Why stop at rabbis and imams? Shamans aren't, nor are Sheikhs, nor are actual deities like God and Zeus.

It's either a glitch, an inside-joke, or something necessary for a programming conceit. Either way, I think you may be reading too much into it, and if you see a priest and need to get him dead, it's possible.
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,618
0
820
lordoftherink said:
Wouldn't it just project a black screen in the shape of the DS? I thought special transparent paper with the words printed on it had to be used for a projecter.
I used to think this too! But the only purpose of special transparency paper is that it can be written on, wiped, and used again. :D

The more you know *
 

Zeliard

Member
Apr 23, 2008
34,712
0
0
35
This may have already been mentioned, but if you spawn a time capsule, an
alien pops out of it. A Grey. :p
 

lordoftherink

Member
Feb 26, 2009
2,273
0
0
Abbotsford, BC
Blizzard said:
lordoftherink, I think Jackson may have been referring to an overhead projector with a camera. My school had some, as opposed to the transparent overhead projector kind.
I didn't know such things existed, hmm, now I'm curious as to what an overhead spawns in Scribblenauts
 

Blizzard

Banned
Jan 23, 2008
36,027
0
0
Jak140 said:
Read again. ;p
You edited since I replied. I was just about to post and point out that Zeus and God spawn an exactly identical character, which again should offend Muslims, Christians, and uh...ancient Romans I guess?

I'm saying I don't know why they chose to make a priest immune to chainsaws. I just don't see it as a deeply philosophical thing considering how random some of the other balances are. *shrug* I'm not a member of a religion that has priests and I guess I don't find it very offensive, but maybe you or others do.

More importantly, I still don't know how to get acid out of a bottle, nor how to mix chemicals in a cauldron. :(

lordoftherink said:
I didn't know such things existed, hmm, now I'm curious as to what an overhead spawns in Scribblenauts
See http://www.clas.ufl.edu/llc/images/225CAMERA.jpg
 

Jak140

Member
Jun 9, 2004
4,165
0
1,455
Hawkian said:
Why stop at rabbis and imams? Shamans aren't, nor are Sheikhs, nor are actual deities like God and Zeus.

It's either a glitch, an inside-joke, or something necessary for a programming conceit. Either way, I think you may be reading too much into it, and if you see a priest and need to get him dead, it's possible.
My point is that only the holy man of Christian faith is immune to any violent attack (magical transformations don't count) while holy men of other faiths aren't. Saying god isn't immune is irrelevant as it is a generic "god" not "God" as Zeus spawns the same character.

I can't really imagine any situation which would require this from a programming standpoint either, though a programmer can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Blizzard said:
You edited since I replied. I was just about to post and point out that Zeus and God spawn an exactly identical character, which again should offend Muslims, Christians, and uh...ancient Romans I guess?
No, because even in the bible "God" and a "god" are considered different things.
 

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Jan 11, 2009
5,451
0
0
Southern California
Hawkian said:
I used to think this too! But the only purpose of special transparency paper is that it can be written on, wiped, and used again. :D

The more you know *
Then how come when they put actual white paper on the overhead it shows up as a black space?
 

Blizzard

Banned
Jan 23, 2008
36,027
0
0
Jak140 said:
No, because even in the bible "God" and a "god" are considered different things
Yes, but Scribblenauts doesn't respect capital letters so you can't say for sure. And Satan is definitely very specific, ya know? The God figure is pretty stereotypical, but I guess it's somewhat fitting for Zeus too.

Do you mind if I ask if you have been personally offended by this, or if you are just stating it as a theoretical question?

Jak140 said:
My point is that only the holy man of Christian faith is immune to any violent attack (magical transformations don't count) while holy men of other faiths aren't. Saying god isn't immune is irrelevant as it is a generic "god" not "God" as Zeus spawns the same character.

I can't really imagine any situation which would require this from a programming standpoint either, though a programmer can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
My feelings on this are as follows:

1. I could point out that priests are pretty specific to Catholicism and maybe some branches of other religious divisions, but I just checked and pastors are also immune to chainsaws.

2. At least one of the main Scribblenauts developers was Christian, and he left the company after the game was finished to help with a church. He felt that was the right thing for him to do, and I respect him for that. I have no idea if he was involved in the word priest/pastor being different, but I suppose it is possible that one of the developers did decide to make god/zeus more powerful than satan/devil, make atheists afraid of god, and pastors/priests not chainsaw-able.

*edit 3.0* Just checked, cynics are apparently identical in appearance and behavior to atheists.
 

cooljeanius

Member
Dec 7, 2008
7,512
0
750
GWU
www.facebook.com
SirPenguin said:
Found a really hilarious bug. Spawn a capitalist and a communist. Both attack each other (classic) and the capitalist's money bag turns into a coin. This coin is like the god damned "one ring" from Lord of the Rings. It cannot be dragged though it can be picked up. It cannot be destroyed. People can pick it up but if you try to move them they drop the coin. The coin survives anything, even a black hole. It doesn't add to your memory meter and if you make enough of them you crash the game.

One coin...to rule them all...
lol, I did that interaction myself but never bothered to try doing anything with the coin. I think it died to a nuke but I'm not sure...
 

green_focus

Member
Dec 20, 2006
93
0
935
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
lordoftherink said:
Wouldn't it just project a black screen in the shape of the DS? I thought special transparent paper with the words printed on it had to be used for a projecter.
I was thinking of the projection cameras you can get that work like an overhead projector, but will magnify whatever you put underneath them and then project the video in real time on the screen. the trick will be finding a way to keep everything secure...
 

Ca1amity

Neo Member
Apr 16, 2007
169
0
0
Toronto
I came into this thread to hear heartwarming tales of imagination while I wait for my copy to be delivered


Instead I find people getting butthurt because the tiny animated priest cant be shot but the rabbi can.

Maybe its because priests are known to keep a bible over their heart which stops bullets at key moments.

Or maybe people need to calm the fuck down and stop assuming everyone is out to get them. Between this and the Kotaku "OMG SAMBO!" shit we're going to get FoxNews all up in our Scribblenauts by the weekend.
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,618
0
820
K2Valor said:
Then how come when they put actual white paper on the overhead it shows up as a black space?
Hmm.. maybe we're talking about an older-school version of an overheard projector than I'm thinking of.
 

Baconbitz

Banned
Apr 4, 2008
4,175
0
0
o0achilles0o said:
Yep. I can confirm this one as well.

Summon a teleporter
Ride teleporter
Summon a Cupid arrow
Summon a T-Rex
Throw arrow at T-Rex
Ride T-Rex
Interact with teleporter

Black screen of nothingness on my DS Lite and DSi using either the retail cart or my flascard.
I just did exactely that and nothing.
 

Blizzard

Banned
Jan 23, 2008
36,027
0
0
Okay, I gotta do more testing. Capitalist loses to communist, and thieves kill capitalists, but thieves beat communists. So anyway, if I get that weird coin from a capitalist losing to a communist, then antimatter doesn't destroy it...unless I also created an antiparticle or antiquark (same icon) and sucked that into the hole as well. Maybe it's just any two objects, I'm about to test.
 

SirPenguin

Member
Oct 8, 2008
1,583
0
0
You know, at first I disagreed with the whole priest/pastor thing. I figured it was a bug or some other thing. But the object "church" cannot be destroyed. Neither can a "synagogue", however. I think it makes sense as to why they made the choices they did

edit: To clarify, I mean that it makes sense to prevent certain structures and creatures from dieing when they have the possibility to deeply offend. Yeah, some people/groups are way too sensitive, but it's better than bad publicity. As to why rabbi and co. don't get the same treatment...well, it was probably just overlooked, given the protection they gave to synagogue
 

Apoc29

Member
May 18, 2006
2,574
1
0
If you have a lot of room and want to cause some massive damage, feel free to conjure up a...

MULTIPLE MISSILE LAUNCHER
 

Jak140

Member
Jun 9, 2004
4,165
0
1,455
Blizzard said:
Yes, but Scribblenauts doesn't respect capital letters so you can't say for sure. And Satan is definitely very specific, ya know? The God figure is pretty stereotypical, but I guess it's somewhat fitting for Zeus too.

Do you mind if I ask if you have been personally offended by this, or if you are just stating it as a theoretical question?



My feelings on this are as follows:

1. I could point out that priests are pretty specific to Catholicism and maybe some branches of other religious divisions, but I just checked and pastors are also immune to chainsaws.

2. At least one of the main Scribblenauts developers was Christian, and he left the company after the game was finished to help with a church. He felt that was the right thing for him to do, and I respect him for that. I have no idea if he was involved in the word priest/pastor being different, but I suppose it is possible that one of the developers did decide to make god/zeus more powerful than satan/devil, make atheists afraid of god, and pastors/priests not chainsaw-able.

*edit 3.0* Just checked, cynics are apparently identical in appearance and behavior to atheists.
I don't follow any religion, but I feel that if they were going to make a holy man from one religion immune, they should have made every person in the game immune or no one at all. It bothers me in the sense that to allow one to violently kill one kind of holy man or even a baby, but not a priest implies that one action is "okay" while the other is not. It introduces a twisted sense of morality into the game.
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,618
0
820
gah beaten

It introduces a twisted sense of morality into the game.
Okay, I was trying to see it your way up til now, but are you kidding me?

In this game I can torture a priest for hours, throw him into a black hole, turn him into a frog or a ghoul and cremate him, or just surround him with demons and let him tremble in fear for all eternity.

WHERE is there ANY sense of morality?
 

Blizzard

Banned
Jan 23, 2008
36,027
0
0
Jak140 said:
I don't follow any religion, but I feel that if they were going to make a holy man from one religion immune, they should have made every person in the game immune or no one at all. It bothers me in the sense that to allow one to violently kill one kind of holy man or even a baby, but not a priest implies that one action is "okay" while the other is not. It introduces a twisted sense of morality into the game.
You can blow up a soldier with an IED if you're feeling twisted. =(

Things I still want to figure out: What sort of heat vision is available (I forgot the term) and how to use acid.
 

SirPenguin

Member
Oct 8, 2008
1,583
0
0
Blizzard said:
Okay, I gotta do more testing. Capitalist loses to communist, and thieves kill capitalists, but thieves beat communists. So anyway, if I get that weird coin from a capitalist losing to a communist, then antimatter doesn't destroy it...unless I also created an antiparticle or antiquark (same icon) and sucked that into the hole as well. Maybe it's just any two objects, I'm about to test.
Neat. It seems "dark matter" is the stronger version of black hole. It can kill a priest, no less! Problem solved :lol
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,618
0
820
SirPenguin said:
Neat. It seems "dark matter" is the stronger version of black hole. It can kill a priest, no less! Problem solved :lol
I thought I'd already "solved" it too, but apparently we missed the point :p
 

Jak140

Member
Jun 9, 2004
4,165
0
1,455
Hawkian said:
gah beaten



Okay, I was trying to see it your way up til now, but are you kidding me?

In this game I can torture a priest for hours, throw him into a black hole, turn him into a frog or a ghoul and cremate him, or just surround him with demons and let him tremble in fear for all eternity.

WHERE is there ANY sense of morality?
Those are all fantasy attacks though and have no bearing in the real world. All I'm saying is that affording a certain protection to certain NPCs implies that one action is okay while another isn't. Which leads to some strange moral implications when you consider that you can shoot a baby or rabbi to death, but not a priest.
 

Blizzard

Banned
Jan 23, 2008
36,027
0
0
SirPenguin said:
Neat. It seems "dark matter" is the stronger version of black hole. It can kill a priest, no less! Problem solved :lol
Black holes and dark matter both kill priests and both get rid of the coin of doom. To get rid of the glitched coin though, something else has to be sucked in at the same time. No idea why.

Also I just turned a priest into a frog and then had a snake eat him. Unfortunately snake charmers just kill snakes? And then I interacted with the snake charmer and he died. Not sure why that happens. :lol

I have a baby happily surviving an iron maiden. Is there a trick to it? Make sure you empty out the skeleton before you start, though.

Jak140 said:
Those are all fantasy attacks though and have no bearing in the real world. All I'm saying is that affording a certain protection to certain NPCs implies that one action is okay while another isn't. Which leads to some strange moral implications when you consider that you can shoot a baby or rabbi to death, but not a priest.
And as people have been pointing out, there are many other immoral things you can do (steak + baby + lion, pointed out by 5th cell). Or me chainsawing people, or blowing people up. I understand the point that you think that priests should have been weaker, since you feel there shouldn't be a religious bias by the developers, but I don't think that the game encourages morality at all, unless you're trying for humanitarian or savior merits. :lol It's filled with stealing and killing and such.
 

Jackson

Member
Mar 16, 2007
3,734
0
1,060
Seattle
Jak140 said:
Those are all fantasy attacks though and have no bearing in the real world. All I'm saying is that affording a certain protection to certain NPCs implies that one action is okay while another isn't.
Actually a lot of characters were immune, baby god, death, super hero, priest, rabbi, etc... but the problem was you could give them a weapon and they'd own anyone infinitely.

So we made god/death/etc have high HP and religious characters run away from a fight, so you couldn't use them to own stuff. However obviously some didn't keep their immunity. Oh well... Have you seen the the number of small glitches in this game? Vegetarian eats meat, zomg!

I'm pretty sure mosque, synagogue and church all are immune buildings though.

Please understand this is a game that is IMPOSSIBLE TO QA, we made this game in 1 year. :)
 

Blizzard

Banned
Jan 23, 2008
36,027
0
0
Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Why can't we talk about cool things you can do in the game now? Please?

Between this and the Orson Scott Card thing, I think I hate GAF.
Dude, I'm trying, but between trying not to get killed by the freaking Jersey Devil and not being able to figure out some suitable toxin to poison fish with, I'm busy. :lol
 

Grady Durden

Member
Jan 17, 2009
1,151
0
0
Dallas, Tx
Jackson said:
Please understand this is a game that is IMPOSSIBLE TO QA, we made this game in 1 year. :)
The main reason I bought this game was after watching the first hands-on impression videos I realized that you created a game that the players are coming up with solutions never previously thought of to the puzzles you created. That is awesome!

Edit: PS: Thank you
 

Jak140

Member
Jun 9, 2004
4,165
0
1,455
Blizzard, the moral implications are only introduced if certain actions are purposefully allowed while others aren't, that is if the game designer is enforcing a sense of morality on the game by giving some NPCs certain protections for moral reasons. Which in this case would be a bizarre sense of ethics if done on purpose as I mentioned above. There would be no problem if no protections were in place at all because then there would be no implication that only certain actions are taboo.

Jackson said:
Actually a lot of characters were immune, baby god, death, super hero, priest, rabbi, etc... but the problem was you could give them a weapon and they'd own anyone infinitely.

So we made god/death/etc have high HP and religious characters run away from a fight, so you couldn't use them to own stuff. However obviously some didn't keep their immunity. Oh well... Have you seen the the number of small glitches in this game? Vegetarian eats meat, zomg!

I'm pretty sure mosque, synagogue and church all are immune buildings though.

Please understand this is a game that is IMPOSSIBLE TO QA, we made this game in 1 year. :)
Thanks for responding, I'm glad to hear it was unintentional, my main concern was if it was done on purpose. Also, it's cool to hear some background on the development process. It's definitely an awesome game, regardless. I hope you get to put even more crazy interactions in the sequel :D