• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

Siaynoqq

Just had a completely ridiculous solution to 3-2 i wanted to share (still amazed it worked):

I put 4 angels above the lava area, they kinda hovered there bumping into eachother. i put two boards on top of them so that they took up the entire space above their heads. I equipped the main character with a spear and ran across and tripped the wire. The star fell, encased in ice, on top of the board (the angels holding it all up). I ran across and quickly speared the ice and got the star, just before i pummeled into the lava.

Still can't believe something this outlandish worked.

Connected to the internet for the first time with Scribblenauts today and got things set up. My friend code is 3781 8595 9643 if you want to try to send me levels.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haven't made any yet (still only like halfway through the levels!) but I'll definitely take down your code.

cooljeanius said:
Connected to the internet for the first time with Scribblenauts today and got things set up. My friend code is 3781 8595 9643 if you want to try to send me levels.

I made a few levels I'm really happy with. Including one where you need to retrieve the Starite from the daycare before the baby tumble off the roof onto a landmine and blows up the whole shebang.

Another level has some mobsters enjoying a plate of cannolis in the back-room of a strip club. Unfortunately the starite is just beneath the table.

I'll try and send these levels to you when I'm home from work, do you also need to register my friend code?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lemmy Caution said:
I made a few levels I'm really happy with. Including one where you need to retrieve the Starite from the daycare before the baby tumble off the roof onto a landmine and blows up the whole shebang.

Another level has some mobsters enjoying a plate of cannolis in the back-room of a strip club. Unfortunately the starite is just beneath the table.

I'll try and send these levels to you when I'm home from work, do you also need to register my friend code?

Those sound AMAZING. Do want. I'll have to dig up my friend code when i'm home.

Blizzard

Banned
Blizzard said:
Question for 5-11p:
Is there a non-"trick" way to do it? I accidentally found that if you give the fisherman a fishing rod the starite randomly appears, I guess because he's "at home" with a fishing rod? He won't use oars in the boat, and of course any boat you ride in will cause you to get hit by lightning even if the boat survives. And you can't even seem to put the fisherman in a boat. I'm not aware of underwater vehicles that support passengers, even if I managed to get the fisherman out of his boat.

For 6-1a,
Okay, the jackal kills the tiger cub so you have to protect it. That's cute. But the jackal will ALSO kill all three tigers if they attack the jackal to defend the cub, at the same time. Yet I can kill the jackal with a hoe. :/ Also that level had the starite in a location that required a random item just to get it (unless you picked a dual-use one...I used a hoe as a weapon and a digging tool to meet par).
Quoting myself since I ended up at the end of last page and no doubt no one will EVER SEE IT otherwise. :lol

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Europe release tomorrow.

I have stolen my daughter's DS - she will not be getting it back for a long time. It is pink, but what the hell?

got this earlier yesterday and I had a blast tonight in my break @ work :lol

How to get the cat off the roof?
Tried a dog, worked, but killed the cat.
Tried a bird, worked, bird laught at cat :D

give 2 of them something they can use!
I gave a criminal to the police man and the criminal killed the police man instantly :D

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hawkian said:
Bahahaha you robbed a child.

She's 21, she can deal with it. Well I hope so otherwise I am in for some excruciating pain, as she has a mean swing with a 7-iron.

Gomu Gomu

Caesar III said:
got this earlier yesterday and I had a blast tonight in my break @ work :lol

How to get the cat off the roof?
Tried a dog, worked, but killed the cat.
Tried a bird, worked, bird laught at cat :D

give 2 of them something they can use!
I gave a criminal to the police man and the criminal killed the police man instantly :D

Heh. I remember when was that happy the first time I played it.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I am now Scribblenauted (and in temporary possession of a pink DS).

My mind is not so much blown as squished into jelly. I find that all the awesome things that I wanted to do just vanish from my head as soon as I pick up a stylus ...

... and then, just out of nowhere, come all the amazing things you can do with an iron, and encyclopedia and a rabbit.

Wow.

Wichu

So the European versions are out today.
I went to the shops this morning, bought my UK game, and tried playing it. After a while, I decided to see what languages were available, thinking it might be fun to play in Welsh or French. However, the languages were: English, Danish, Finnish, Swedish, and Norwegian. Checking the cart, it was a Scandinavian version. Naturally, I was a bit miffed, so went back to the shop and returned it. Turns out every single one of their copies was Scandinavian.
So I got a refund, and went to another shop. Bought Scribblenauts for £3 less, and opened the box. Scandinavian again. I let the clerk know, but I don't think he believed me, and I wasn't in the mood to argue. I'm now sitting here with a Scandinavian version of Scribblenauts.

So, is this normal? Are the NTR-BSLX-UKV boxes supposed to contain NTR-BSLX-SCN? If not, then it must have been a mistake with the shipping... I feel sorry for the poor guys in Scandinavia having to play it in English.

jrricky

Banned
Wichu said:
So the European versions are out today.
I went to the shops this morning, bought my UK game, and tried playing it. After a while, I decided to see what languages were available, thinking it might be fun to play in Welsh or French. However, the languages were: English, Danish, Finnish, Swedish, and Norwegian. Checking the cart, it was a Scandinavian version. Naturally, I was a bit miffed, so went back to the shop and returned it. Turns out every single one of their copies was Scandinavian.
So I got a refund, and went to another shop. Bought Scribblenauts for £3 less, and opened the box. Scandinavian again. I let the clerk know, but I don't think he believed me, and I wasn't in the mood to argue. I'm now sitting here with a Scandinavian version of Scribblenauts.

So, is this normal? Are the NTR-BSLX-UKV boxes supposed to contain NTR-BSLX-SCN? If not, then it must have been a mistake with the shipping... I feel sorry for the poor guys in Scandinavia having to play it in English.
:lol

Sorry to hear that but the story was just too funny.

Blizzard

Banned
No one has answered my pressing level questions! I conclude everyone gave up before level 5-6. ;(

Well I actually finished the levels, but yeah. I've been busy the last couple of days, but with the exception of 3-5 days off and on recently, I have mostly played a little Scribblenauts every day since release. :)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Wichu said:

Mine's the same - I think it is normal. My guess is there are two European versions, one for the Northern countries and one for mainland Eurozone, perhaps (a) not enough room to carry all languages on one cartridge (b) cunning ploy to prevent the French and Germans buying from amazon.co.uk because of the exchange rates.

In any case, all the Scandinavians I have met seem pretty comfortable in English. Mind you that is probably a biased sample, because if they couldn't speak English I would never have found out they were Scandinavian would I?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blizzard said:
No one has answered my pressing level questions! I conclude everyone gave up before level 5-6. ;(

Well I actually finished the levels, but yeah. I've been busy the last couple of days, but with the exception of 3-5 days off and on recently, I have mostly played a little Scribblenauts every day since release. :)

Blizzard I commit to gaming through world five for you this week! Puzzle or action level you were asking about?

phisheep said:
(b) cunning ploy to prevent the French and Germans buying from amazon.co.uk because of the exchange rates.
makes sense!

southern Europe version has:
english
french
dutch
german
italian
spanish

;)

Kilroy

Wichu said:
I feel sorry for the poor guys in Scandinavia having to play it in English.
I'm considering buying it today, and I'm not sure I'll play it in Danish.
Translations always seem... odd. So I think I'll just settle for the english version, which I'd say I'm almost fluent at anyway...

I just beat the game, but haven't gold starred everything. Can anyone tell me how to unlock the last avatar? It appears as a question mark and I assume it's gold starring each level. Also, there's a Gaffer here named Dacvak and I thought he said he was in the game, how do you get him? One of the first things I did when I got the game was type his name in but he didn't come up.

Blizzard

Banned
Gryphter said:
I just beat the game, but haven't gold starred everything. Can anyone tell me how to unlock the last avatar? It appears as a question mark and I assume it's gold starring each level. Also, there's a Gaffer here named Dacvak and I thought he said he was in the game, how do you get him? One of the first things I did when I got the game was type his name in but he didn't come up.
I seem to recall "Dac" triggers it.

Reza_Neko

I love this game! My boyfriend bought it for me for my 21st birthday and I am addicted. :D I used longcat to chase away some rats, woke up a boy with a frying pan (and another time, a fire alarm), summoned a black hole, a worm hole, and time machine! I put in flue, bird flu, or swine flu, and a green germ shows up (if you put it on Maxwell, he will appear sick). This game is awesome! I like to put wings on Maxwell, and then have him ride a walrus, and then they fly together:lol

I bought a DSi purely for this game last night. I was playing it in front of my mate's 2 younger brothers (I'm 29, they're under 10) and they were really jealous that I'd got it. I'm feeling guilty so I'm going to buy another copy and give it to them. They're probably more imaginative then I am anyway, I seem to use a jet pack on every single level :lol

typhonsentra said:
I had no idea this had even come out. Did it end up being the "GotF" people were constantly hyping it to be?

amazing concept, less than stellar execution. this game would have been everything people thought it was going to be if it weren't for the damn controls

I wanted to love this game so bad, but by the end, I just rushed through it to be done with it and plan on selling my copy.

there seems to be 2 clear camps though, those who get frustrated by the controls and those who adore the charm so much that they aren't even bothered by any issues

I am looking forward to improvements for the inevitable sequel though

Gryphter said:
amazing concept, less than stellar execution. this game would have been everything people thought it was going to be if it weren't for the damn controls

I wanted to love this game so bad, but by the end, I just rushed through it to be done with it and plan on selling my copy.

there seems to be 2 clear camps though, those who get frustrated by the controls and those who adore the charm so much that they aren't even bothered by any issues

I am looking forward to improvements for the inevitable sequel though
I'm surprised about the control complaints. From the concept I was thinking it'd be a balance issue where a few items would make the game way too easy.

typhonsentra said:
I'm surprised about the control complaints. From the concept I was thinking it'd be a balance issue where a few items would make the game way too easy.
Nope, the only issue is the controls honestly. Plus, if you want to get a gold medal on each level, you have to complete it 3 times in succession, and you cant use the same item twice. Even if there was an item that made it easy, you still have to complete it two more times to actually get the gold star.

stuminus3

I've hit a wall with this game because I mostly play it on the train and for some reason I'm not at my most imaginative on a crowded train after a long hard day's work. :lol

Good for dinner table discussions with my family though. "So here's the puzzle..." I say to them, and they list out possible objects that may work. Pretty cool. I even bring up the easy stuff just to see what they say.

And finished! Both 10-11 levels are awesome :D

I loved the game, even with its flows. Simply amazing. I also love the way everyone can work/think with you on some puzzles! A friend of mine said 'why not use a fan to move those objects you can't reach' and it works.

Blizzard

Banned
So Scribblenauts apparently sold less than 200k in September, but someone mentioned something about Euro numbers. Does anyone (Jackson or otherwise) have any sales numbers from Europe and/or the US? I was just curious to know how it did.

I got this from GameFly about a week ago. Although I really appreciate the concept, the controls in this are just too wonky for me to enjoy. It may be that my DS is old and the touch screen is giving out (it's an original fatty), but it's really making it hard for me to get into the game.

I am in love with the concept and when an elaborate setup works it feels great, but sometimes it's just such a struggle to get it too work.

also doesn't help that I seem to have absolutely no imagination and can't think of original ways to progress

Anywho, I'm sure my sentiments have been shared before. Really good game, just plagued by some unfortunate (for me, at least) controls. I eagerly await a sequel!

Blizzard said:
So Scribblenauts apparently sold less than 200k in September, but someone mentioned something about Euro numbers. Does anyone (Jackson or otherwise) have any sales numbers from Europe and/or the US? I was just curious to know how it did.

Jackson also mentioned how Drawn to Life sold 40k in its first month...and went out to become a million seller. It'll be interesting to see what legs this game has this holiday

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
3-2 almost soured me on this game. I spent the last three days (I only play when dropping the kids at the pool) trying to beat it, and because of the fucking controls, I nearly threw the DS into the toilet. I can't tell you how many Rube Goldberg devices I had nearly set up, only to accidentally tap the screen while the camera randomly moved, and had him run and trip the wire before I was ready. 3-2 is utterly frustrating, and points out every weakness this game has with regard to the controls, and the camera.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't stand the camera. Not since the early days of dual analog sticks have I been so frustrated by a camera. Why, why, why, oh why, does it need to constantly go back and center on Maxwell? Fuck. I'm trying to set shit up over here, over there, and that mother fucking camera keeps going back to Maxwell right when I'm in the middle of shit. So frustrating.

It's too bad, the core of the game is great. The puzzles are fun (except 3-2) and the possibilities endless. But fucking A, they needed another few months to reconsider the control scheme and five minutes to switch the camera mode. I wish they could patch this game just to fix the camera.

I'll probably keep playing, but 3-2 took a lot of fun out of the game for me, and just frustrated me beyond belief with the control scheme.

drakesfortune said:
3-2 almost soured me on this game. I spent the last three days (I only play when dropping the kids at the pool) trying to beat it, and because of the fucking controls, I nearly threw the DS into the toilet. I can't tell you how many Rube Goldberg devices I had nearly set up, only to accidentally tap the screen while the camera randomly moved, and had him run and trip the wire before I was ready. 3-2 is utterly frustrating, and points out every weakness this game has with regard to the controls, and the camera.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't stand the camera. Not since the early days of dual analog sticks have I been so frustrated by a camera. Why, why, why, oh why, does it need to constantly go back and center on Maxwell? Fuck. I'm trying to set shit up over here, over there, and that mother fucking camera keeps going back to Maxwell right when I'm in the middle of shit. So frustrating.

It's too bad, the core of the game is great. The puzzles are fun (except 3-2) and the possibilities endless. But fucking A, they needed another few months to reconsider the control scheme and five minutes to switch the camera mode. I wish they could patch this game just to fix the camera.

I'll probably keep playing, but 3-2 took a lot of fun out of the game for me, and just frustrated me beyond belief with the control scheme.
There will be more of those levels. But keep playing! World 10 is worth it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I just found this hilarious glitch tonight.

The riding ability on Gorilla is glitched. You can actually make gorillas ride on other animals. You can also make gorillas ride on other gorillas. And yes, you can make a gorilla ride another gorilla that rides another gorilla and so on and so forth, and make a big chain of gorillas.

For extra hilarity, make your gorilla chain ride on a reindeer. Now when Maxwell rides the Gorilla chain, you can perpetually fly!

Top Bottom