• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

Koomaster

jkoopa said:
658704990_ZBBmQ-L.jpg
Heh, I had to try this out to see, but it doesn't instantly win the level for you. You can however pick up the fake starite, throw it at the one in the tree to knock it down - win. :lol

So it's possible to win a level only typing in starite. :p

Feep

Banned
Heh. I tried 10-11p yesterday, and screwed around for fifteen minutes before giving up. I tried stuff like
5th Cell, Designers, Awesome, Programmers, Team, Fun
, and so on...

But, lying in bed last night, I sudden realized how to beat the level. Just one of those flashes. I turned it on and beat the level, and then I closed the DS, and went to sleep smiling. :D

RagnarokX

Blizzard said:
Level 4-9p or 4-10p (I forget which) stumped me for a while. I learned that
witches have super-fast autofire, and either can't be tamed, or still shoot you or other enemies while tamed. I found that Maxwell apparently can't be turned into a frog. I finally discovered that a wall and a suspension bridge could trap the witch quite well, but I still used four objects to win. All other attempts to lure the princess failed (she likes jewelry and stuff but won't follow me if I carry them, and she'll ride a unicorn, but the unicorn gets scared by the witch and messes everything up. I finally resorted to the eternal solution of tying the princess to a helicopter and flying to the right. Stupid witch.

That was also the first time I've had a freeze happen while playing ingame, without actually kinda trying to produce one. I "shot" something with a cupid's arrow, spawned another cupid's arrow, and tried to drop off my pterodactyl while the arrow was still hovering unplaced in the air. I don't know if that combination was bad or if it was random, but it froze and I had to restart the game.
4-9p:
Witch falls in love with warlock, neither will bother you as long as they are together. Love is the key!

Witch + fairy godmother = witch's wand turns into a rose, no shooting magic at you. Mentioned earlier in this thread by... someone.

I wish there was a merit for dieing and completing a level at the same time...if so, I'd be rich*

*not like I need the ollars, I'm sitting pretty at close to 500k

RagnarokX

SirPenguin said:
Phew, 8-2a is tough
I like to use
a stealth or traditional bomber to destroy the 3 planes protecting the top plane, then go down and pick up the starite from below. But, if you time it just right, you can just jump off of the platform, land on the left jet, and jump over and grab the starite before you get shot or fall.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Feep said:
Heh. I tried 10-11p yesterday, and screwed around for fifteen minutes before giving up. I tried stuff like
5th Cell, Designers, Awesome, Programmers, Team, Fun
, and so on...

But, lying in bed last night, I sudden realized how to beat the level. Just one of those flashes. I turned it on and beat the level, and then I closed the DS, and went to sleep smiling. :D

I love this feeling, have only had it once so far in this game, but look forward to more (only on world 3 :D)

Has anyone else tried to combine a laser gun with a shark? :lol :lol

I love this game. I wish I knew someone else who had it so I could build and share levels.

toonhead2

Neo Member
Finally gold star all the levels.
Avatar was expected but cool nonetheless
Funny thing, now that I beat all the levels, when going back to play them I'm getting more creative with the solutions. Maybe because I'm not worrying about getting under par and beating the clock, I just take my time and go crazy. I'll be playing this for a long time.

Oyashiro

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble in 2-8p (I think that's the one). It's the stage where
you're in some kind of grocery store and have to pick up a veggie, fruit, and a drink, and then pay. I've tried it several times and I can't manage to get the starite. I've collected the items in a basket and then placed them on the register, which didn't work. I tried giving them one by one to the lady, that didn't work. Not really sure what to do.

RagnarokX

Oyashiro said:
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble in 2-8p (I think that's the one). It's the stage where
you're in some kind of grocery store and have to pick up a veggie, fruit, and a drink, and then pay. I've tried it several times and I can't manage to get the starite. I've collected the items in a basket and then placed them on the register, which didn't work. I tried giving them one by one to the lady, that didn't work. Not really sure what to do.
That's because
you aren't following all of the instructions. What does the hint say to do after collecting the food? ;P

Oyashiro said:

you have to
pay for your groceries

Oreoleo

It's not necessarily more efficient, but "spade" is easier to type and does the same job as a shovel. I just tried excavator and it only digs out as much as a shovel does which kinda sucks. When I'm feeling impatient I just spawn TNT and a match to blow a hole in the dirt/ice/snow/concrete/ whatever else.

Also I don't know how many people know this, but you can click the button that brings up your last item multiple times to go through your past 3 or 4 summoned items. Took me a long while to realize that.

3phemeral

Just bought myself a copy and used the level editor to aid in a Professor Layton/Scribblenauts inspired birthday adventure for a friend. Having a ton of fun with it, asides from the black-screen of death that happens in the level editor when you pair an NPC (like Adam or Eve) with a cake and try to edit the hint properties. I'm a little disappointed with some of the object interactions, but what they do have included that I found unexpected more than makes up for it.

Hmm...stuck in 5-2 not sure how to get it done right.

It's that one with the bully blocking the vending machines. I tried placing him in between walls but that doesn't work out like I imagined it would

Blizzard

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
Hmm...stuck in 5-2 not sure how to get it done right.

It's that one with the bully blocking the vending machines. I tried placing him in between walls but that doesn't work out like I imagined it would
You should be able to use something like a
mind control device to make him friendly, but I didn't do that. I tried a couple of things and finally used a ghost to make him run away scared.

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
Just found a weird bug... I typed in BULLY to get an antagonist for Maxwell and decided to click "BULLY (Fish)" instead as I had never heard of that kind of fish. Well, the fish showed up, but I can't click on it or move it or delete it. Anyone else able to reproduce this one? Or any other objects with the same behavior?

stuminus3

OK, so I finally got around to picking this up today.

My son played through a few of the earlier levels with me.

We spawned a flamethrower to burn down a house that a cat was stuck on.

We spawned a "maniac" who lived up to his name and knocked down a bunch of bottles (and burned everything in sight just for extra fun)

We spawned a cat. It was useless. We spawned a dog, the dog killed the cat. We spawned a bear, the bear killed the dog. We spawned a gorilla, the gorilla killed the bear. We spawned a dinosaur... the gorilla climbed on the dinosaur and rode it around for a while.

If that's all we see of this game, that 30 minutes of intense laughter is as good enough a memory as to class this as one of the greatest videogame experiences I've ever had.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
stu-3, playing with a young child is amazing- it's funny how fast their imaginations can exceed the game's capabilities.

"OKAY MAKE A KNIGHT."
*poof*
"OKAY MAKE MORE KNIGHTS."
*poof*
*poof*
"OKAY MAKE ONE MORE."
*poof*
"NOW MAKE A DRAGON"
*poof*
"WAIT GIVE ALL THE KNIGHTS GUNS INSTEAD."
*poof**poof**poof**poof*
"NOW MAKE ANOTHER DRAGON."
*poof*"
NOW MAKE A FIRE BREATHING DRAGON."
...*sigh*

Also, I dig your title. You should join the PC gaming brotherhood
we can eventually emulate all the previous gens anyway :x

RagnarokX

Blizzard said:
You should be able to use something like a
mind control device to make him friendly, but I didn't do that. I tried a couple of things and finally used a ghost to make him run away scared.
Mind control device doesn't work on him. Best thing is to scare him, like with your ghost. You can also shrink him and quickly shove him into a bag, or use a magnet to pull the vending machines over to you.

toonhead2

Neo Member
o0achilles0o said:
Just found a weird bug... I typed in BULLY to get an antagonist for Maxwell and decided to click "BULLY (Fish)" instead as I had never heard of that kind of fish. Well, the fish showed up, but I can't click on it or move it or delete it. Anyone else able to reproduce this one? Or any other objects with the same behavior?
Ok just checked it out, instead clicking directly on the fish click below the fish. This happened to me with another fish (don't remember which one) but its probably the same method.

Blizzard

Banned
toonhead2 said:
Ok just checked it out, instead clicking directly on the fish click below the fish. This happen to me with another fish (don't remember which one) but its probably the same method.
I couldn't seem to quickly find a specific bully fish on wikipedia or google, anyone have a link? And yes, clicking slightly below it works. It seems its graphics are slightly off-center from its hitbox.

The hoe and auger are awesome, good tips!

Oyashiro

How did you guys get through the level where (world 3 spoilers)
you have to make the caveman a dino egg omelette or something? I don't understand how to do it.

Oyashiro said:
How did you guys get through the level where (world 3 spoilers)
you have to make the caveman a dino egg omelette or something? I don't understand how to do it.

Try writing omelet

Thanks for the advice on 5-2

Damn this game seems amazing.

I don't have a DS but I am througly impressed with the scope.

I hope it comes out for the PC so I can try it out.

It sucks that the control issues are really terrible according to reviewers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
bigmit3737 said:
Damn this game seems amazing.

I don't have a DS but I am througly impressed with the scope.

I hope it comes out for the PC so I can try it out.

It sucks that the control issues are really terrible according to reviewers.

I don't know that it will ever come out for PC unfortunately :(

Also, I may be in the minority but I wouldn't say the controls suck. They are imprecise for sure, and take some getting used to, but for a completely touch-based system I can imagine them having been much worse.

Mike M

Nick N
Eh, I'd have to say that the controls go far beyond "imprecise" and well into "suck" territory. I've had countless instances where Maxwell would inexplicably go running full bore in the direction opposite of where I told him to go.

On a different note, my wife came up with the most wackadoodle solution to 8-8 puzzle I ever saw.
She placed a ramp to the right of the pipe segment, summoned a whole horde of pharaohs on the left, and then summoned Anubis. Anubis chased the pharaohs, who in their attempt to escape pushed the pipe up the ramp and onto the platform. Her rationale? Seemed like a job for ancient Egyptians, only the game didn't have any when you put in "Egyptians" so she settled for pharaohs.

esbern

how could you spend so much time developing a game and that encyclopedia of options, and still not even attempt to put forth a decent control scheme. don't they beta test this shit? its getting beyond ridiculous.

Blizzard

Banned
Mike M said:
Eh, I'd have to say that the controls go far beyond "imprecise" and well into "suck" territory. I've had countless instances where Maxwell would inexplicably go running full bore in the direction opposite of where I told him to go.
Sometimes Maxwell accidentally moves if I don't have him stuck in place with a saddle and I haven't scrolled off the screen far enough. But I don't know that I've ever had him go in the OPPOSITE direction of where I tapped, and I'm into world 5... Sometimes if you tap somewhere in a hole he might jump over to the other side before going back and jumping in, but that's the adjustment thing to make his autorouting kinda work.

I have had that issue in Starcraft, though. Trying to send a group of vultures through a narrow pass = 9 of them go through and the 10th goes shooting off in the opposite direction at top speed while you frantically rush to cancel the orders, scroll the screen, freeze the craft, and recall it back. :p

esbern said:
how could you spend so much time developing a game and that encyclopedia of options, and still not even attempt to put forth a decent control scheme. don't they beta test this shit? its getting beyond ridiculous.

The game was finished in a year. There's a lot of game on this cart, and something had to give.

it sucks

esbern said:
how could you spend so much time developing a game and that encyclopedia of options, and still not even attempt to put forth a decent control scheme. don't they beta test this shit?
That's the thing; they probably tested it TOO much. After playing it for 200 hours, they probably no longer miss clicking on a match, so there's no need for their Maxwells to go running into angry dinosaurs.
Blizzard said:
Sometimes Maxwell accidentally moves if I don't have him stuck in place with a saddle and I haven't scrolled off the screen far enough. But I don't know that I've ever had him go in the OPPOSITE direction of where I tapped, and I'm into world 5... Sometimes if you tap somewhere in a hole he might jump over to the other side before going back and jumping in, but that's the adjustment thing to make his autorouting kinda work.
I don't think I've had him go the OPPOSITE direction, but I did once have him at the surface of the water, try to tell him to swim down-left under a ledge, and have him decide the best way to get there was to hop up-left onto the ledge and walk into a wall.

Top Bottom