• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
jkoopa said:
658704990_ZBBmQ-L.jpg

lol I dont own the game.. but is there any truth to this? :lol

omg I love tycho so much

Crazetex

My favorite way to deal with humanoids is to
zombify them, then burn them all to death
. To take care of non-humanoids...
VAMPIRE
all the way. Best killing tool I know.

I love this game.

Huy

Neo Member
I am having a blast with this game so far...but that bloody 1-11 level. I have completed it 3 seperate times and NOT got the starite because of dodgey technical stuff...

I have probably never laughed so much at a game... me and my brother absconded quite a dangerous T-Rex situation...atop a cow :lol

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
theluma said:
Ah, it wasn't that bad. Just cheesy, really.

Oh no. It was BAD. At least the original 3 were SOMEWHAT plausible and were SOMEWHAT based in reality on this planet... But I digress... too bad you can't actually go inside a refrigerator in Scribblenauts... that would be an awesome test of the Nuke.

theluma

o0achilles0o said:
Oh no. It was BAD. At least the original 3 were SOMEWHAT plausible and were SOMEWHAT based in reality on this planet... But I digress... too bad you can't actually go inside a refrigerator in Scribblenauts... that would be an awesome test of the Nuke.

:lol Ye it would.

We should start a "recreate your favorite movie scenes" with Scribblenauts thing.

I have a couple of ideas, I wonder if my digital camera would work alright off the ds.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Holy crap again! Level 9-7! The awesome references continue!

don't hurt the little sister, haha!

Also, how could anyone beat
9-11
three times? The only way I can figure to
get under the overhang is by using a shrink ray. How else could you get through there?

Blizzard

Banned
Hi NeoGAF!
317k2sj.jpg

I have a brief pictorial story for you, in not-necessarily-chronological order, since I finally have everything required for it. :)

FIGURE THE FIRST

2ylkc94.jpg

FIGURE THE SECOND

33u91fr.jpg

FIGURE THE THIRD

a4604h.jpg

The crampons unfortunately don't seem to work with boots or Maxwell, but at least they're there!

Blizzard

Banned
Haha, I just played a level with an Indiana Jones reference. Too bad I haven't seen that movie, since I probably missed a solution.

Does anyone know if you can use a fire extinguisher to put out fires though? I found a campfire under a low roof, but:

Fire extinguisher, watering can, and hose seemed to have no effect, and Maxwell just ran up and killed himself. I put it out by giving a fireman the hose (and even then I had to PUT the fireman in the right place so the hose accidentally would put the fire out). Or is this just a case where the low roof prevents normal fire-extinguishing items from working?

The_Technomancer said:
Also, how could anyone beat
9-11
three times? The only way I can figure to
get under the overhang is by using a shrink ray. How else could you get through there?

Bring the Starite to you. You can burn the rope for instance. This will also set the starite on fire, but you can just use ice or water to put that out. Also, how did you get Maxwell to the starite? I could never get past that damned fan.

Mike M said:
Fuck the wedding level. Fuck it right up the ass. This is the first level I've actually felt totally frustrated with where every possible thing that I think should work yields no results.

Yet my wife beats it twice in a minute for the gold star. Fuck that level!

Could always just use the regular wedding items. Bouquet -> bride and wedding cake does it pretty easy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blizzard said:
Jackson and I are both awesome and keep our promises

Story of the Thread! Also, did you buy another DS during this saga too!?

Makes me want to shell out for a third copy. Somebody tell me Scribblenauts sales numbers already!

Affeinvasion, I like your "recreate movie scenes" idea. We'll have to talk about that :D

And Technomancer! Dude! Unless I'm wrong, you're the first in this thread to complete every level in the game. I bow to your win.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Blizzard said:
Haha, I just played a level with an Indiana Jones reference. Too bad I haven't seen that movie, since I probably missed a solution.

Does anyone know if you can use a fire extinguisher to put out fires though? I found a campfire under a low roof, but:

Fire extinguisher, watering can, and hose seemed to have no effect, and Maxwell just ran up and killed himself. I put it out by giving a fireman the hose (and even then I had to PUT the fireman in the right place so the hose accidentally would put the fire out). Or is this just a case where the low roof prevents normal fire-extinguishing items from working?

I've used a fire extinguisher to put out flames before.
I know carbon dioxide works. A block of dry ice pops up.
:lol

Jackson

Blizzard said:
Hi NeoGAF!
317k2sj.jpg

I have a brief pictorial story for you, in not-necessarily-chronological order, since I finally have everything required for it. :)

FIGURE THE FIRST

2ylkc94.jpg

FIGURE THE SECOND

33u91fr.jpg

FIGURE THE THIRD

a4604h.jpg

The crampons unfortunately don't seem to work with boots or Maxwell, but at least they're there!

ROFL, I never figured you'd actually do it. :lol Great job dude! :) I'm humbled by your incredible dedication to Scribblenauts and 5TH Cell!

MNC

o0achilles0o said:
You can however, stock people and items in them besides Maxwell. Open it up, and they're frozen!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Torhthelm Tídwald said:
Bring the Starite to you. You can burn the rope for instance. This will also set the starite on fire, but you can just use ice or water to put that out. Also, how did you get Maxwell to the starite? I could never get past that damned fan.
Heh, my solution was so convoluted.
Stick a bomb on the red soil. Stick a ramp on the ledge above it, drop a fire so it slides off and ignites the bomb. Than put an air vent on the ramp so it's shooting diagonally. Grab the fire again and let it shoot up and ignite the rope. Once that drops and get's blown over to the wood wall, igniting it, use a rain cloud to put out the Starite if on fire. Than make a fan, and keep using it to blow the Starite about halfway under the overhang. Tie a rope or something to the starite and pull it the rest of the way; voila.

Mike M

Nick N
ShadowgeistX said:
Could always just use the regular wedding items. Bouquet -> bride and wedding cake does it pretty easy.

Yeah, that's how I solved it the first go around, it was the other two times that were killing me.

rhino4evr

jkoopa said:
658704990_ZBBmQ-L.jpg

lol I dont own the game.. but is there any truth to this? :lol

No, but I did something similar..

there was a level with a bunch of dino eggs being guarded by dinos. And the hint said something like "Make Dino Omeletes" After trying numerous times and failing to cook the eggs. I just typed in omelete and i beat the level. lol.

Blizzard

Banned
I had kind of wanted a DSi for the better screen. The lower battery life is kinda eh, since I play with like level 4 screen brightness, but I haven't regretted it so far. The d-pad and L/R buttons are good. :)

BorkBork said:
I've used a fire extinguisher to put out flames before.
I know carbon dioxide works. A block of dry ice pops up.
:lol
Yeah, I think that in one level I found a "large fire vent" and I could just click on it with a watering can to put the fire out. But I can't figure out how to do that with a campfire. Can anyone verify? Or is it just if the campfire is under a low overhang that Maxwell kills himself?

I also approve of the "create movie scenes" idea!

rhino4evr said:
No, but I did something similar..

there was a level with a bunch of dino eggs being guarded by dinos. And the hint said something like "Make Dino Omeletes" After trying numerous times and failing to cook the eggs. I just typed in omelete and i beat the level. lol.

When I typed in the star, I just got a replica of it that I could pick up. Couldn't beat the level that way. :lol But yeah, I did that on that level to.
I couldn't figure out how to move the egg. And then the pterodactyl up high was a whole other story.

And just curious, why would you buy more than one copy of the game? Are you giving them to someone or did you really buy more than one copy to support Fifth Cell? I'm assuming it's to give someone but I could be wrong. I just can't see why. You could have spent that extra $60 on something else, like other Fifth Cell games or other games. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
VGChampion said:
When I typed in the star, I just got a replica of it that I could pick up. Couldn't beat the level that way. :lol But yeah, I did that on that level to.
I couldn't figure out how to move the egg. And then the pterodactyl up high was a whole other story.

And just curious, why would you buy more than one copy of the game? Are you giving them to someone or did you really buy more than one copy to support Fifth Cell? I'm assuming it's to give someone but I could be wrong. I just can't see why. You could have spent that extra $60 on something else, like other Fifth Cell games or other games. :lol
It was partly to support 5th Cell and encourage developers who interact with their community (hopefully Jackson sees our controls feedback here and considers that in future games), and to offset one or two people who might pirate it. And of course, once he confirmed it I had to confirm the other preorder. I don't buy too many new games so I could afford it. And yeah, one copy is going to a friend on the west coast, and another copy was intended for a friend who got it early on a flash cart (but who actually bought it for her nephew as well). I might give it to a different friend in Canada instead assuming there's no problem with just mailing video games across the border. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I bought two copies too, for the same reasons- wanted to support the developer, obvious one I shall give away for a present at some point.

Alright, just about gold star'd all of World 6. World 7 so far as been a lot of fun. Gotta say my least favorite world so far is easily 5, and I'm thinking that's where I was losing my steam. Every level seemed to be "alright, kill these underwater dudes then do something underwater"

Also, for 7-1p...
four cowbells work

b4djef.gif

toonhead2

Neo Member
The ending is really nice. Completed all the levels. Gold worlds 1-6.

Jackson:
Can every character in the credits can be spawn? If so how can I spawn the guy in all black with the fire helmet? I've spawned most of the 5th Cell team. Thanks again for the game. It think it deserves a starite of approval.

EDIT: Never mind I found it.

Blizzard

Banned
SirPenguin said:
Alright, just about gold star'd all of World 6. World 7 so far as been a lot of fun. Gotta say my least favorite world so far is easily 5, and I'm thinking that's where I was losing my steam. Every level seemed to be "alright, kill these underwater dudes then do something underwater"
Were you the one goldstarring every world as you go? I almost feel like it would be best to only gold star the really fun levels as you go, and then come back later, mainly since you get more ideas later on and you learn useful level components (like "giant vent" or whatever) that you might use in your own solutions. Otherwise, once you finish all worlds, you won't be able to look forward to gold-starring your favorite worlds. :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No, that's me doing that.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't really mind- I actually wouldn't have cared if they didn't include a formal "advanced mode." I like replaying my favorite levels to try new solutions lots more than 3 times :p

EDIT to premptively apologize if I'm wrong and Penguin's doing this as well.

Mike M

Nick N
So I just discovered how easy it is to reuse items in advance mode that you already used on previous attempts.

Just put an adjective in front of the word. I.e. if you used "tent" and want to cheat and use it again, put something like "red tent."

I sincerely hope I can resist the temptation to exploit the hell out of that...

Mike M said:
So I just discovered how easy it is to reuse items in advance mode that you already used on previous attempts.

Just put an adjective in front of the word. I.e. if you used "tent" and want to cheat and use it again, put something like "red tent."

I sincerely hope I can resist the temptation to exploit the hell out of that...

You could also type "gfeihfuwehfdnwuhnf tent" and it'd work. But you're really only hurting yourself if you cheat in this game, so yeah.

Anyways, yeah, I am doing that Blizzard, but I feel it's the best way to play for me. I like having a level fresh on my mind when I go to replay it, and honestly, really none of the levels are THAT good to want to replay after gold starring anyways.

World 7, though, is full of a lot of REALLY cool levels. I'm having a ton of fun in this world.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If you're stuck on a level and want to skip it, use this game breaking bug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifn5hUF6LM

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Haven't been following the thread too closely, but has their been any word on the alleged news/announcement that was mentioned on the Scribblenauts Facebook?

Zerokku said:
Haven't been following the thread too closely, but has their been any word on the alleged news/announcement that was mentioned on the Scribblenauts Facebook?

I'm guessing it was just this:

Rooster Hat Contest: You have until October 5th to upload your Rooster Hat photos! We will then select 20 best and let the fans pick the winners! The 10 lucky winners will be announced October 9th! Keep sending those great pics and good luck!

Ok, I'm finally stumped to the point where I'm requesting the help of GAF.

I've tried this level a couple dozen times and refuse to move ahead until it's beaten.

Level 7-4 "Pin Him Down with an Object"

I've tried shrinking him, tying his ass to a boulder, glueing him to a grand piano, dropping big shit on his head. glueing a bunch of bridges together to pin him under those, nothing works.

Suggestions?

toonhead2

Neo Member
Lemmy Caution said:
Ok, I'm finally stumped to the point where I'm requesting the help of GAF.

I've tried this level a couple dozen times and refuse to move ahead until it's beaten.

Level 7-4 "Pin Him Down with an Object"

I've tried shrinking him, tying his ass to a boulder, glueing him to a grand piano, dropping big shit on his head. glueing a bunch of bridges together to pin him under those, nothing works.

Suggestions?

Yes you have to drop big things like a bulldozer on his head just make sure you drop it high enough.

Blizzard

Banned
Level 4-9p or 4-10p (I forget which) stumped me for a while. I learned that
witches have super-fast autofire, and either can't be tamed, or still shoot you or other enemies while tamed. I found that Maxwell apparently can't be turned into a frog. I finally discovered that a wall and a suspension bridge could trap the witch quite well, but I still used four objects to win. All other attempts to lure the princess failed (she likes jewelry and stuff but won't follow me if I carry them, and she'll ride a unicorn, but the unicorn gets scared by the witch and messes everything up. I finally resorted to the eternal solution of tying the princess to a helicopter and flying to the right. Stupid witch.

That was also the first time I've had a freeze happen while playing ingame, without actually kinda trying to produce one. I "shot" something with a cupid's arrow, spawned another cupid's arrow, and tried to drop off my pterodactyl while the arrow was still hovering unplaced in the air. I don't know if that combination was bad or if it was random, but it froze and I had to restart the game.

Top Bottom