• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TrollFromPikeCreek said:
a bunch of ridiculous twisting of words

First of all, not only did I not say that the bad controls were a positive feature, I didn't say that the controls were bad, nor did I say the controls were a positive feature.

Read: the controls are deeply flawed. They are not how I'd have made them at all. In fact, I'd have made every aspect of them customizable. They also, for a completely touch-screen based interface, are not the worst I can imagine. For example, I like that the game world "freezes" when you are selecting an interaction.

What I said was, due to the kind of game this is, it doesn't bother me that much. Two reasons for this:
-It's not a platformer. I'm not expecting to make hair-width jumps with perfect timing to reach a boss. It's a puzzle game. Again, in my mind it's way closer to Incredible Machine than to Mario.
-The game is patently ridiculous. The art style, the ludicrous hints, the
demonic homicidal creatures emerging from wormholes
scream to me that the game is to be played with a smile in spite of its flaws, not gritting your teeth struggling against them.

Let me give you an example of what I mean. On the level with the
bee, piranha, and cliff keeping you from collecting flowers for the girl, I skipped the bee first, hopped on archaeopteryx and got the water lilly before the piranha could get me, and rode up to the cliff and got the the third flower and returned those two. Then I went to deal with the bee and killed it with a flamethrower. Amused, I clicked on the girl forgetting to pick up the flower first, and accidentally roasted her alive, ending the level with epic fail.
That shit just makes me laugh. And when I restarted the level, I tried a different strategy even though I knew that one technically would have worked. I'm saying I'm not letting imprecise controls get to me the way a lot of people are because the total experience is so hilariously surreal. I can see why some people would have incredible trouble looking past them- if you need the controls to be rock-solid before you build the game concept around it, then Scribblenauts will fail you. All I'm saying is that I have [no] trouble looking beyond it personally.

hawkian said:
this strikes me as maybe the ultimate YMMV game

Hmmm.

TrollFromPikeCreek said:
He's saying it's fun when the controls fail, and only the real players get that.

You nailed it! I know my language was unclear, but you got exactly what I was trying to say! /sarcasm

Look, I don't know shit about "real" or "fake" gamers. I know a lot of people who religiously play WoW, and I think they are definitely "real." They play more hours than anyone else I know. I kind of can't fucking stand that game, or stomach paying to play it every month, but I don't the that makes me less of a a "real" player.

Not every game is for everyone. Scribblenauts is most definitely for me. Your. Mileage. May. Vary.

Blizzard, I loved Mirror's Edge too. What mods are there for it, I've never even seen any?

Alright. Maybe I misinterpreted your intentions, but I just hate it when people play the "they just don't get it" card for when people have legitimate complaints about something.

8bit

Knows the Score
Blizzard said:
Other gamers may be annoyed and NOT have fun.

Having just received this earlier today, this is me. I've spent about 4 hours on it, and it went from charming to detestable far too quickly. I find the camera & controls to be horribly wonky; If I set up a platform or something to bridge a gap, why does Maxwell sometimes kick it to bits? Or if I attach a chain to a submerged bus, why do I need to be careful that Maxwell doesn't accidentally drive the Crane into the water electrocuting himself while trying to attach the chains? Off to ebay with it before I descend into apoplexy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I hate it when people play the "you don't get it" card too! That's essentially the opposite of what I'm saying. Well, maybe some people actually don't get it (I did see someone post something like "so what, you can summon anything, how is that fun?" which I cannot comprehend). But:

-Some people have posted a variety of legitimate complaints and they are obviously dealbreakers for a portion of them. See 8bit above.
-Some people acknowledge the flaws of the game and are able to see past them for its redeeming qualities.

I think both of these groups "get it." Once you do, it is either that you like it (and probably like it quite a bit) or you don't, and it aggravates the hell out of you.

All my original post was referring to was the fact that these two groups exist and that I belong to the former, not that either group is "right" or understanding the game any better than the other.

Bresson

Neo Member
So far I'm really trying to like this game but I'm failing, the controls and how things behave just infuriate me. I'll give it a few more sessions but so far it's more a neat thing to play around with than a great game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bresson said:
So far I'm really trying to like this game

Yeah, I think then you probably won't :(

I think usually when you have to try to like a game, it might not be worth your time. That's usually how it's worked for me in the past, anyway.

The last game I remember really trying to like was Brigandine for the PS1. I loved the units and the evolution system, but the gameplay itself was sort of plodding. I got about 25% of the way through it and quit never to return, wishing I could have the ludicrous number of hours it took to get that far back.

Blizzard

Banned
Polite discussion conceding to an opposite viewpoint? On MY NeoGAF? Maybe it's more likely than I think. :lol

Brief note about Mirror's Edge since it's off-topic:
on-mirrors-edge.com has forums I follow regularly, and that's the only real modding community I know of. The Modding forum has some custom maps, and if you search for the Mirror's Edge thread on NeoGAF, I think near the end of it I posted a bunch of videos and links that should give you an idea of whether you want to try the custom maps or not.

And hey, if you're interested in playing around and making your own maps (works slightly better if you have the Steam version) then you're more than welcome to do that too!

Koomaster

Gryphter said:
It was the one with 2 newlyweds, and the goal was to "Do 2 things to celebrate the newlyweds!" I went Par +7 cuz I had no idea what was or wasnt working!

I threw rice at them
I set off fireworks
I put a rainbow in the sky
I rang bells
I tied a can to the back of the car and drove it around
I gave the bride a greeting card
I gave the groom money
*at this point I asked my girlfriend, and she said to try doves*
I tried doves and the starite appeared.

So I think it was the rice and the doves, but I can't be sure.
I used
rice and tying a can to the car, but the starite didn't show up. The next thing I tried was 'confetti' and then the starite popped up. Kinda weird that rice doesn't work for that level (I assume that is what didn't work).

Wherewolf

Neo Member
I love fans.
Fan towers (standing over a fan blowing upwards that's above another fan) are a good way of getting into high spots, and you can reuse them. They can hit the switches on ceilings together, kill enemies in water after blowing them in, move the Starite..

Zeliard

It's pretty easy to see why Scribblenauts is love it/hate it. It's basically the same as Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed except in reverse - those two games had wonderful, nearly unrivaled core gameplay mechanics, but they couldn't marry that to an interesting overall concept or fill the whole thing with enough player choice and diversity.

Scribblenauts has the exact opposite problem - from a conceptual standpoint it's as unique and interesting as anything we've seen in gaming, but the most basic element in every video game, the responsiveness to player control, is in this case a barrier that a lot of people can't get by or don't feel is worth the effort.

Some people are able to get past one of those obstacles to get to the juicy goodness, and some simply aren't. So you get your love it/hate it games.

poweld

GAF, I was
c956380c35a67694544790ab09d5bba4fdc2a995_full.jpg

Should I be
Bubble.png

or
a5pc9.jpg

I can't decide :(

Prothero

Neo Member
I need help with World 3-2 (Action)--
the level where the starite hangs above the lava.

A bridge ladder worked fine the first time. But now I'm in Advanced Mode and really struggling for solutions. Barely getting to the Starite after the bridge ladder fell into the lava worked, but when I do the same with bridges -- making contact with the Starite before it's completely immersed in lava -- the game freezes and I have to reset my DS. Has anyone else had the freezing problem? Anyone have any solutions?

Koomaster

Found some interesting words messing around...

Lunar Rover (LRV for short) - has great speed, and can fly. It's amazing! The wheels have a tendency to come off if you bump into other objects though. ¬__¬

Magnifying Glass - use it on objects that burn and it sets them on fire. However it doesn't work in caves; yet apparently works at night time.

Rocket Boots - extra jumping power for Maxwell.

Stunt Bike - Seems faster than a motorcycle, not sure. But it's definitely cooler looking. Dirt Bike is also a nice bike.

Flying Wing - Some sort of stealth looking fighter jet. Click on something beneath it to drop some bombs.

Straight Jacket - prevents Maxwell from flipping switches or holding onto objects. Not sure what good that does, but it's great it's in the game.
:lol

HenryGale said:
anyone else post their scribllenauts hat pic on their facebook page for the contest?
There is a contest? I already have my rooster hat as my profile pic on facebook. ^___^;;

Borman

I havent been keeping up with this thread, but heres an awesome one:
Just type nvg . Its night vision goggles, makes the screen green. Probably old, but I dont care :p

Mike M

Nick N
Fuck the wedding level. Fuck it right up the ass. This is the first level I've actually felt totally frustrated with where every possible thing that I think should work yields no results.

Yet my wife beats it twice in a minute for the gold star. Fuck that level!

Korey

I think that's the main weakness with this game. I was talking about the game with a friend and although we're both trying to play it by being "extra" creative...ultimately many of the levels can be solved using the same few objects to overcome the same obstacles (ie, use X to reach a higher platform, use Y to get rid of something). I'm early on in the game though, do the levels towards the end force you to think more out of the box?

Blizzard

Banned
Korey said:
I think that's the main weakness with this game. I was talking about the game with a friend and although we're both trying to play it by being "extra" creative...ultimately many of the levels can be solved using the same few objects to overcome the same obstacles (ie, use X to reach a higher platform, use Y to get rid of something). I'm early on in the game though, do the levels towards the end force you to think more out of the box?
I'm only on worlds 4 and 5, but I think the game tends to leave it up to you to think outside the box. If you want the game to force you, it may not be the game for you.

Ruas said:
The game was to easy to stump.I ended up returning it.Disappointing.
You couldn't have at least told us a couple of the legal objects you put that weren't in? :p

By the way, my two Amazon preorders were apparently in Delaware for like four days, and shipped a couple of days ago, and they're not predicted to get here until tomorrow and/or Thursday. And these are two games ordered in ADVANCE. :lol I think my original estimate of 8-10 days for free shipping of new releases is about accurate...

Blizzard said:
I think my original estimate of 8-10 days for free shipping of new releases is about accurate...

You must live in the boonies or something because I pre-ordered maybe a week before the game came out, chose free shipping from amazon, and got the game on Thursday.

Blizzard

Banned
Affeinvasion said:
You must live in the boonies or something because I pre-ordered maybe a week before the game came out, chose free shipping from amazon, and got the game on Thursday.
Not really, but this has happened with two different new release games at least. Everything else comes pretty quickly if I'm not mistaken. :lol

Up to world 6 and I'm losing a lot of steam. Action levels are becoming a lot more like puzzle levels, but not in a good way.

Perhaps I should take a break

Blizzard

Banned
SirPenguin said:
Up to world 6 and I'm losing a lot of steam. Action levels are becoming a lot more like puzzle levels, but not in a good way.

Perhaps I should take a break
Taking a break is a good thing, lest you, the creator of this thread, renounce it and burn 5th Cell to the ground.

See you next year! :)

Nah, nothing like that, it's a fun game, it's just I'm noticing these later levels just aren't as fun. It's really hard not to use the same solutions, you know? At least in the action levels.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
SirPenguin said:
It's really hard not to use the same solutions, you know?

You could commit to never use any of the same objects two levels in a row. That's pretty much what I do, keeps me thinking.

Then again, I'm only on world 3. You should take a break ;)

OnPoint

SirPenguin said:
Nah, nothing like that, it's a fun game, it's just I'm noticing these later levels just aren't as fun. It's really hard not to use the same solutions, you know? At least in the action levels.

I'm already having that problem in the earlier levels. I'm on world 2 and it seems like if you figure out certain objects, you'll be good to go.

Hawkian said:
You could commit to never use any of the same objects two levels in a row. That's pretty much what I do, keeps me thinking.

Then again, I'm only on world 3. You should take a break ;)

I guess, but that doesn't make the items any fresher. I'd say nearly every action level has a platform that either you can't directly reach or an object/creature cannot directly reach. You can either bounce up there, fly up there, or climb up there. That's it. And it's fine to switch it up every now and then (maybe I'll use a mattress on this level but use wings on the next), but now go through that level 4 times total. Pretty soon you realize that no matter how hard you try to keep things fresh you're forced to fall back on the same solutions because there's simply no other way to do it

I played around with my copy for a few hours today. I think it's a brilliant game.

I understand the complaints about the controls. I'm okay with nothing but stylus control in some games (PH did it brilliantly), but the lack of precision really hurts in a game like this. Occasionally my character kinda spazzes out and runs back and forth when I'm trying to get him from one place to another. I do also find myself reusing items in the action levels too.

Everything else is pretty damn cool, though. I've found a single object (chaff) that didn't spawn. Everything else has shown up, which has been surprising. I think the puzzle mode is a little bit more enjoyable than the action stages so far (mostly because the action stages tend to stump me). I'm glad there are so many stages ahead of me. (I do hope more unlockables show up in the 'Ollar Store at some point, though...)

It's totally worth the money thus far. A fun and unique experience is kinda rare in gaming.

mrkgoo

Hawkian said:
Let me give you an example of what I mean. On the level with the
bee, piranha, and cliff keeping you from collecting flowers for the girl, I skipped the bee first, hopped on archaeopteryx and got the water lilly before the piranha could get me, and rode up to the cliff and got the the third flower and returned those two. Then I went to deal with the bee and killed it with a flamethrower. Amused, I clicked on the girl forgetting to pick up the flower first, and accidentally roasted her alive, ending the level with epic fail.
That shit just makes me laugh.

Yeah, that's funny the first time, but not after the 5th. You end up accidentally doing a lot of things you don't mean to. Sometimes it's funny, but once that wears off, it's just annoying.

mrkgoo said:
Yeah, that's funny the first time, but not after the 5th. You end up accidentally doing a lot of things you don't mean to. Sometimes it's funny, but once that wears off, it's just annoying.

I don't see a way around that in a game this open-ended.

It reminds me of something I love about the GTA games (I haven't played GTA4 yet). I've played a mission before I just couldn't beat, which frustrated me out of my mind. "There's no way I can get from Point A to Point B with a 5-star wanted level." I try the level again and the road is more clogged with pedestrians than before, allowing me to get away. I love that element of randomness.

I admit I love it a little less in Scribblenauts :lol, but it isn't so bad. I am a little disappointed with the wonky vehicle physics so far, though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I guess it's best played in short bursts?

I don't find myself doing things accidentally THAT often, mainly cause of certain workarounds to the silliness of the controls. The few times I have and it has ended the level for me were pretty funny. I guess I spend as much time just messing around with the sandbox as playing the levels, and only play a couple levels a session, and I've yet to experience a true feeling of "annoyance" (I mean it's a game :-[). But who knows, I have a lot of game left. I am trying to make it last, though.

dojokun

Banned
We should all change our avatars to be the pics of whatever comes up in Scribblenauts when you type in your username. If your username isn't an entry, then you have use a pic of the first suggested entry.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
dojokun said:
We should all change our avatars to be the pics of whatever comes up in Scribblenauts when you type in your username. If your username isn't an entry, then you have use a pic of the first suggested entry.

...done

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
dojokun said:
A lot of people would end up using different types of food and birds. :lol Just tried mine and the top suggestion was Fufu.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My girlfriend says that stuff is disguting, she had it in ghana.

I wonder if I'm the only person on GAF who already had an av doing what you said :lol

webrunner

Prothero said:
I need help with World 3-2 (Action)--
the level where the starite hangs above the lava.

A bridge ladder worked fine the first time. But now I'm in Advanced Mode and really struggling for solutions. Barely getting to the Starite after the bridge ladder fell into the lava worked, but when I do the same with bridges -- making contact with the Starite before it's completely immersed in lava -- the game freezes and I have to reset my DS. Has anyone else had the freezing problem? Anyone have any solutions?

Some method of pulling the starite left (ie, an animal tied to it lured with food) is the way I finished the level the first time, since I didn't know about bridge ladder yet.

webrunner said:
Some method of pulling the starite left (ie, an animal tied to it lured with food) is the way I finished the level the first time, since I didn't know about bridge ladder yet.
That's also the stage where I began to enjoy using balloons. Putting a few of those on the starite kept it from falling so quickly.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
jkoopa said:
lol I dont own the game.. but is there any truth to this? :lol
A starite does appear but it's fake (as in you don't beat the level when you grab it).

So I just discovered last night that
Spring Shoes
work. Did anyone else know that? Amazing! Though be careful!
I actually failed a mission because I jumped too high off screen

Thoughtful post ahead:

The more I play this game the more I'm convinced that the DS is the most logical platform for Scribblenauts. Despite the control issues, which frankly I expected due to the 1) open-ended nature of the game and 2) the general wonkiness of touch screen controls, I think that the DS allows the best for short bursts of fun.

This game is NOT made for marathon play sessions. The cognitive nature of humans in general is to find solutions and stick to them until they fail even if other solutions present themselves. Basically when you play for short periods on different days it seems more enjoyable because our imaginations are generally contextually based. One day I might have watched a whole bunch of tv which made certain words fresh in my mind, and on another day I might think of words that I would never have thought of the day before. That for me is the elegance of this game.

All that said the mechanics of the game are pretty simple. Especially in the action levels, it isn't about figuring out what item to conjure, it is really about figuring out what methodology is required. Basically you need to get across, over, under, through etc, because that is the nature of a physics based world. For this reason the action levels become less creative because there are only so many combinations of over, under, through.

For this reason, in a sequel (I hope) they should emphasize the puzzle levels more, sure they are simpler, but I think the most fun I had was trying to come up with different
instruments, or wedding favors, or romantic stuff,
etc. Not to mention the replayability of the action levels is really limited because the mechanics of the level are still the same.

Sorry that was so long. Bah.

Top Bottom