• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

Mithos

Starting tonight. Any tips for good solo classes? Does being a healer help solo or do you regen health ok?

Having healing abilities help when soloing yes, but if you want pure heal skills or leach-heal or barriers etc is up to what you prefer.

I use a blade/chaos build (tank/survive) works like, when I attack monsters I get DoT's on me that heal me, and when monster attack me they add more DoT's that heal me, in total I can get up to 3 diffrent DoT's at the same time healing me.

Other times those 3 DoT's are to little (imo) and I may add a pure heal skill to the build if I feel that the enemies are to much, or I had an extra heal that add more DoT's ontop if the 3 I usually have, in these cases I go from blade/chaos to blade/fist.

Starting tonight. Any tips for good solo classes? Does being a healer help solo or do you regen health ok?

I'm finding Fists and Chaos a really good solo build for early on in the game (Kingsmouth) - you get a heal over time, and can deal with packs and solo mobs pretty well.

Mithos

30% off in the Item shop for the duration of the event, better get Issue #6 for me then and possibly something more =)

How do these issue things work? As a new player playing through Kingsmouth, are they something I would be interested in getting or storywise are they best played after finishing the normal main story?

Nopren

You should definitely get the issues. They have some really good quests and a whole little side-story to each of them. But just keep on questing normally and work your way through the different zones. I begun to do the issues when I was at the end of Egypt, and starting in Transsylvania, and that seemed to me like a good point to do them. That way the missions are a convenient excuse to go back through some of the earlier zones.

Nopren

Can anyone help me with the boss on The Last train To Cairo? Doesn't seem like I'm geared for it.

edit: Got it covered.

I think I must be missing something, because I cannot find anywhere to actually purchase the issues... are they included in the game by default now? I went to the Store but I can only see in-game items for purchase, and the official site / google does not seem to give any links.

The issue should show up in the "Boosts" category.

Cheers. What an odd place to hide them - it seems like they really ought to do a better job of making them visible to users who want to purchase them. I would have thought there would be at least a tab on the game's website or something.

Nopren

Aye, they are a bit hidden away. And even then they look very much alike all the other items.
Btw, remember that the 30% anniversary discount do not apply to issues:
During the event the Item Store will have 30% discount! This will be an excellent time to pick up new outfits, pets or boosts. (This special event discount applies to everyone and does not stack with any other discounts. Issues, Packs and Membership prices are not affected by this discount.)

Ah okay, I just checked and they only have issues #5 and #6 on the store.

Is it that the older issues have been included in the game as default, or are issues time-sensitive?

Edit: Never mind, I just read this:

At the moment you will be able to play up to Issue 4 - the most recent content drop - after that each update will need to be paid for, at least in some fashion, to unlock it.

Mithos

Finally caved in and got Issue #6 and finished it, really nice. And finished the Gaia event also, got all pets, clothes etc, incl fusang that took 4.5 hours >_<

oktarb

Just started playing again after a long break. Really considering restarting my character as I feel a tad lost on my abilities. What level are the issues playable?

Switched to Hammer/Chaos because of one of the decks. Only tanked polaris so far because although I played a good bit this weekend so Hammer/Chaos, and all talismans are lvl 6 already still using the polaris ql3 blues or green ql4s im finding now. Just starting Innsmouth Academy so I think I'll be ready for Hell Rising soon.

It's kind of wierd because all the mobs are blue but don't really feel much easier because of the gear bottleneck.

oktarb

Man this game got hard. I quit for awhile but came back for some of the glory. I keep dying all the time and am quite frankly tired of the spirit walk. I'm Assault Rifle and Elemental specced. I'm in Blue Mountain. I can usually handle one monster but it I get mobbed I die spectacularly. My heals just can't keep up. I normally wouldn't bitch but I'm on these quests where either monsters are everywhere or like last night I had to protect some meat and zombie just kept coming with zero breathing room.

Any advice? I even bought 100 APs.

derFeef

Blue Mountain is the first wall you hit where you need to look at your skills, how they really work together and fit talismans to that.

derFeef

Do this game is $20 on steam is it worth it for someone not too into mmo's(I hate when there's too much grinding)?

I never felt any grinding in this, it all feels natural and well paced if you play solo.
There are some rare "bring me X amount of Y" missions, but those mostly short and guide you through the areas.

Edit: Also I need to do the event goddamit.
http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/join_in_the_guardian_carnage

anniversary_live10_insert.jpg

anniversary_live8_insert.jpg

anniversary_live13-612x337.jpg

Jag

The event ends on the 15th. Easiest way to do it is join "Anniversity" (note spelling) and look for callouts. All you have to do is hit the boss once and you get credit when he dies.

Full guide here:
http://unfair.co/gaming/the-secret-...et-world-guardians-of-gaia-event-information/

You can repeat bosses every 2 hours. Shows up as a finished quest with a timer.

Drops are easy. I've gotten every drop except 1 pet (and the pvp pet) which isn't necessary to get the achievement and Gaia Rocks! t-shirt.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I want to get back into this, but I'm playing on my TV now...is there a good 360 controller solution out there that someone here uses?

I'm hoping I'll be able to get some time in with the event. Sounds like fun. Been on vacation since Saturday. Feels like I always miss this great events that add a bit or lore and mystique to the amazing world. Fucking love this game.

Well killed all the event bosses. Got all the lore but the one in Fusang since I guess it is bugged or something and queue never pops.

Entering BM and think I might need to change my spec to add AR back in from Chaos Hammer. WHile it made tanking polaris and HR really easy, I can't solo for jack so maybe doing a AR/Chaos dps build will help with the questing and support the chaos hammer for dungeons.

Mithos

Got all the lore but the one in Fusang since I guess it is bugged or something and queue never pops.

The lore in Fusang isn't bugged, it is right in the smack center on the lower floors. People that gets inside make sure they get their rewards before signing out from Fusang, so queues will be very long.

Update:
Apparently PvP is broken again *lol*

Jag

I found the lore in Fusang by accident. Both sides were helping to kill the boss. I did kill one guy to get my PvP kill achievement and he yelled at me. At least I got the cool Fusang pet.

IMACOMPUTA

Picked this up in the steam sale and im getting all kinds of graphical bugs, plus the game is running like crap. (flickering, low framerate at times, etc.)

Any tips?

oktarb

Picked this up in the steam sale and im getting all kinds of graphical bugs, plus the game is running like crap. (flickering, low framerate at times, etc.)

Any tips?

I noticed that I had to run the game, change settings within a game and back out and relaunch; then a bunch of stuff was fixed for me. That however, I bet, is a very personal experience.

Onionkid

Edit: Got a trial, woohoo!

And now I'm debating just buying it without using the trial...ugh, would have to DL the client outside of Steam, and then when it came time to buying it on there I'm assuming I'd be downloading it all over again...

Jag

You can also get it for $12 on Amazon with code "gooncave" right now. Doesn't activate on Steam though.

I feel like I hit a wall going from Savage Coast to Blue Mountain. Seems like I'm way underpowered for BM even though I did almost everything in SC and have QL4s and 5s (not all blue though). My health is only 4K, BM enemies seem around 5-6. What can I do to boost myself up more?

Nopren

Well, apart from maybe spending some SP and getting better gear at AH, try to look at your abilities. Find actives and passives that complement each other. Most of the abilities inflict some kind of status effect on the enemy, like afflicted, weakened, hindered and so on. Make sure to equip abilities that inflict them and then use abilities that exploit these status effects. If you are ranged I would recommend getting some that inflict hindered so you can keep some distance between you and the mob.
Don't sweat the HP differences between you and the mob, it is all about your abilities and the stat bonuses on your gear.

Game is on sale, is it worth the $14.99? I've watched combat videos and Giantbomb quicklooks the game and world look amazing, but the combat looks kinda meh in terms of fluidity and responsiveness.

derFeef

Combat can be hit or miss...
I actually like it, but you still have to press button 1-7, like in any other MMO.

I also think some weapons have a much more meaty feel than others.
imho sword feels really squishy and floaty, but hammer is meaty and has nice impact.
Ranged weapons in general have a better feel to me but elemental magic feels pretty sparky (heh) as well...

You can try all weapons out in the training area and switch around though - go with what feels best for you and not the archetype I would say. You can switch it out easily as you progress anyway.

But generally - don't come to this game to expect good combat, come to this game and expect great atmosphere, excellent writing (not just for a mmo), and an amazing world with lot's of lore.

Mithos

Are you fucking kidding me? I missed this. God damn it...I...what a fucking gutshot. God damnit.

You missed a week+ with single digit framerate whenever you got close to the fighting areas. :p

Oh yeah, Funcom thought it would be smart also to place 1 of these guardians inside PvP zone Fusang, let me tell you that was a bad idea, everyone had lag/freezes for minutes at a time in there (up to 5minutes for some), which meant the boss could kill people and heal like crazy.

Cheddahz

Banned
I recently started playing this and I need some help, I've gotten my blade level to a QL3 and I am planning on making a solo build, so I was wondering what would be something else to level up?

Nopren

I recently started playing this and I need some help, I've gotten my blade level to a QL3 and I am planning on making a solo build, so I was wondering what would be something else to level up?

Look at some of the starter decks, and start working towards what you think sounds fun. Or just which outfit you think looks coolest.

Top Bottom