• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The show "See", So what do you think so far? (Spoilers possible, we will see...)

Liljagare

I read that this show cost 15 million dollars an episode to make yet just learned about it yesterday (honestly I would think for that kind of money, it would of been advertised like crazy but that is just me). So far, it seems kind of hit or miss for me but I have only seen the first two episodes so I can't condemn it or praise it. From what I have read from the reviews, it is about the same with the critics, a kind of hit or miss show. I really enjoy the shows Apple tv is offering so far ( "For all Mankind" is great!) and I like Jason Momoa's acting. I also think that the whole premise of the show ("A futuristic, post-apocalyptic drama, See imagines a world with no sight. A devastating virus wipes out all but a few million of the Earth’s population, and those that survived were stricken permanently blind.

The series takes place hundreds of years later, where humans have been without sight for so long that it’s disputed whether such a thing ever even really existed. ") makes it really interesting. I don't understand a few things such as 1.) Why the facepaint or the tongue sticking out every time Momoa kills someone? It isn't like anyone can see him... or 2.) What is up with the elaborate costumes? Again, the whole sight issue. or 3.) Some of the books looking so new but then I probably am just not accepting that this is a show. Game of Thrones kind of spoiled me I guess in terms of cost vs. show content. What do you all think?

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I haven't watched it yet, but I saw the trailer

and the reveal that basically everyone is blind was a wat.gif moment for sure because appearance-wise it just doesn't sell it, especially as you say with the face paint etc . If people have truly been blind for generations, all of that shit would go out the window in no time

I have the feeling that it's going to be yet another of these couple of seasons and we're done affairs for Jason Mamoa (Frontier, The Red Road). Dude is awesome in a guys want to be him, ladies want to be with him way, but goddamn it, he needs an agent that finds him some sort of long term sustainable gig that isn't going to crater. Being 6'4" when most of Hollywood are midgets doesn't help him much though .

Anyway, the metacritic for it pretty bleak.

Going to give it an episode if nothing more than for Momoa & Sylvia Hoaks (who played Luv in Blade Runner 2049 to great effect) but the outlook is not good on this one.

DKehoe

I knew that it was getting mediocre (at best) reviews but hadn't heard it cost 15 million an episode. That's crazy.

Kadayi

Banned
I knew that it was getting mediocre (at best) reviews but hadn't heard it cost 15 million an episode. That's crazy.

That's the lint from Apples Pockets lets be honest though. They're just throwing cash at projects and seeing which ones stick. I've watched a few episodes of The Morning Show, and although it's hard to determine what exactly it's trying to be (it's not a comedy, but it's not really an out and out drama either) but that seems like it might stick.

DKehoe

That's the lint from Apples Pockets lets be honest though. They're just throwing cash at projects and seeing which ones stick. I've watched a few episodes of The Morning Show, and although it's hard to determine what exactly it's trying to be (it's not a comedy, but it's not really an out and out drama either) but that seems like it might stick.

Oh sure. I'm not expecting this to have any meaningful impact on Apple. I'm just surprised that considering this seems to be something they are serious about and heavily investing in (relative to TV industry budgets, not to Apple's) they don't appear to have produced anything that people are really connecting with. But I guess these things can take time.

I saw the trailer and NOT interested at all, how come people interact with each other, gather food, make fire,take a shit without stumbling on each other, how come two tribes make war and be fucking BLIND, how do you coordinate that ?
This show has some serious problems in the conception phase and yet they aprouved it (15m dollars) 🤣.
Apple is desperate.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The Apple TV+ reviews have been some bullshit. Everything got trashed, whereas everything I have watched has been enjoyable and great in world building - The Morning Show, For All Mankind, See.

Take See. It is obviously ridiculous, but then again, what fantasy plot is not. The cinematography is gorgeous, the characters are interesting and memorable, the sets are jaw dropping, and the suspense works. I enjoyed the first episode.

Panda1

Banned
The Apple TV+ reviews have been some bullshit. Everything got trashed, whereas everything I have watched has been enjoyable and great in world building - The Morning Show, For All Mankind, See.

Take See. It is obviously ridiculous, but then again, what fantasy plot is not. The cinematography is gorgeous, the characters are interesting and memorable, the sets are jaw dropping, and the suspense works. I enjoyed the first episode.
what are some shows you hate?

The Marvel Disney+ series are about $25M an episode.
source?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
For anyone else lacking context, a quick search (so maybe you might want to look into it more) seems to say that GoT had a per episode budget of $6 million.

So, yeah, this and the Marvel thing are just as insane as they sound.

I don’t think it takes a big budget to create great storytelling (usually the opposite), but it should be really interesting to see how this affects production value, and if this allows us to see some unprecedented things for television?

In a sense, it’s almost like merging the long-form storytelling of TV, with the ability to do just about anything, of movies.

Panda1

Banned
a source pegs Marvel entries The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, WandaVision and Hawkeye at as much as $25 million per episode

That means 1 episode was 25mil - probably the pilot or 1st ep. then the rest down to normal budgets I am assuming - something like 3-5mil per ep after

Tesseract

Banned
For anyone else lacking context, a quick search (so maybe you might want to look into it more) seems to say that GoT had a per episode budget of $6 million.

So, yeah, this and the Marvel thing are just as insane as they sound.

I don’t think it takes a big budget to create great storytelling (usually the opposite), but it should be really interesting to see how this affects production value, and if this allows us to see some unprecedented things for television?

In a sense, it’s almost like merging the long-form storytelling of TV, with the ability to do just about anything, of movies.

ja, always felt that limitation breeds creativity was more than a serviceable way to live

got season 1 had a pretty miserable budget and excelled despite it

ManaByte

a source pegs Marvel entries The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, WandaVision and Hawkeye at as much as $25 million per episode

That means 1 episode was 25mil - probably the pilot or 1st ep. then the rest down to normal budgets I am assuming - something like 3-5mil per ep after

The Mandalorian has a budget of $120M for the first season. No reason to believe the Marvel shows are less. Mando was $15M and eight episodes. The Marvel shows are six episodes.

Chittagong

Gold Member
what are some shows you hate?

Blacklist became too cartoony after first few seasons. American Horror Story got boring in the Coven season, dropped it midway. Orange is the New Black got progressively more boring, dropped it on S5.

Hard to say as I rarely start to watch stuff I’m not interested in.

Kadayi

Banned
I gave the first episode a watch and tbh, not remotely as bad as the reviews made out. I mean the premise was still kind of ridiculous but they'd thought through a lot of stuff and visually it was well shot. Will watch more for sure.

dorkimoe

I am loving it. I know this isnt getting the best reviews, but i find it quite enjoyable. The queen is beyond annoying however, but I kind of think thats how shes supposed to be.

Kadayi

Banned
I am loving it. I know this isnt getting the best reviews, but i find it quite enjoyable. The queen is beyond annoying however, but I kind of think thats how shes supposed to be.

Yeah. I'm really digging it. I caught up with the rest of the season so far today (episodes 2 - 5) and I've found it very compelling.

It's pretty clear that despite the formidable obstacles of the premise the creators have done a decent job at establishing their world-building and navigating the day to day realities of their situation.

I do feel that Sylvia Hoaks might be a little too whispery for her own good at times, but given where things go in episode 5 I'm fascinated to see what's next, and also at the reveal at the end and where it leads (though I kind of figured that was probably the case).

I don’t buy it. Everyone should have evolved into Daredevils by now.

Well, they kind of have in many ways. Albeit everyone is blind the actual fighting in the show is pretty intense, but they do a good job of conveying how people operate. There's a scene involving a river that's utterly fantastic. JM is an absolute savage beast .

jshackles jshackles needs to get on this show and see his spirit animal in action.

Also, already renewed for a second season before launch.

I think if you're down with say, Into The Badlands which is guilty pleasure TV at its finest, then See is no worse in that regard

Last edited:
Top Bottom