• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill 2, 3 & 4 PC thread - A guide to a better HD Collection

JRW

Hmm can't seem to get any AA settings to enable in SH2, maybe it's a Nvidia thing. I'm alt tabbing out of the game and selecting AA Override in Nvidia control panel and tried various AA settings (8x / 32XCSAA / Supersample etc.) but the game is ignoring everything. (GTX 480 / latest driver).

alf717

This is how Art Money looks after loading the uploaded table:

Before:
pic1

After
pic2

You have tried this once you're in the 3D-rendered game, right? And not in the main menu of the game?

Thanks, InfiniteNine, I'll probably put them in the posts above.

Before:

3M904.png

After:

UvvAn.png

Results:

K7UqR.jpg

Lime

Hmm can't seem to get any AA settings to enable in SH2, maybe it's a Nvidia thing. I'm alt tabbing out of the game and selecting AA Override in Nvidia control panel and tried various AA settings and clicking Apply (8x / 32XCSAA / Supersample etc.) but the game is ignoring everything. (GTX 480 / latest driver).

I think Stallion Free is on a Nvidia card (I assume). He/she might be able to help you out (I'm on an AMD).

Before:

http://i.imgur.com/3M904.png[IMG]

After:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UvvAn.png[IMG]

Results:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/K7UqR.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Looks like your Before shot is not able to detect the same level of settings that I am. E.g. you have several 0 values where I have specific resolution and FOV values. You are sure that you aren't changing the Art Money values when you are in the main menu of SH4, right? Btw, check your PM.

XOMTOR

It is possible to use AA and Lens Flare + Advanced Post-Processing simultaneously. As I already explained in the guide, do not have AA enabled when starting up SH2, go into the options and make sure that Lens Flare + APP are set on. Exit the options, start the game, alt+tab and set AA to override. Thus you get the Lens flare + APP effects along with the sweet, sweet SSAA.

I tried this and it still doesn't work. I'm on nVidia. What does Advanced post-processing do anyway? I tried to find differences but cannot.

BTW, here's a tip I pickup up along the way somewhere. Instead of ALT-TABing out to set CPU affinity, you can use a simple batch script to do this automatically when launching the game. Just create a blank notepad file with the following text:

cmd.exe /c start /affinity 1 sh2pc.exe

Save the file as SH2.BAT and place it in the same folder as the sh2pc.exe. Now just launch the game using the batch file. Any shortcuts for the game, just point them to the batch file instead of the regular .exe

I tried this and it still doesn't work. I'm on nVidia. What does Advanced post-processing do anyway? I tried to find differences but cannot.

BTW, here's a tip I pickup up along the way somewhere. Instead of ALT-TABing out to set CPU affinity, you can use a simple batch script to do this automatically when launching the game. Just create a blank notepad file with the following text:

Save the file as SH2.BAT and place it in the same folder as the sh2pc.exe. Now just launch the game using the batch file. Any shortcuts for the game, just point them to the batch file instead of the regular .exe

Thank you for this, it was getting annoying having to do that every time I launch.

Lime

Thanks for the .bat script. I've added it as a download to the guide for SH2.

In regards to your conundrum with lens flare + APP, I am unfortunately unable to help you as I don't have a Nvidia card on me. And you are entirely certain that you do not have any global settings with AA overriding all applications, including SH2? Maybe another user with a Nvidia card could elaborate on the issue, as I am unable to test it for you.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Yeah I did that so I could auto-launch all the games from Steam without having to fiddle around with it so much. Thanks man!
nx13W.png

alf717

Looks like your Before shot is not able to detect the same level of settings that I am. E.g. you have several 0 values where I have specific resolution and FOV values. You are sure that you aren't changing the Art Money values when you are in the main menu of SH4, right? Btw, check your PM.

Thanks for PM and for all your help Lime. I resolved the FOV issue I was having thanks to you.

Does SH2 need any tweaking with the FOV? From what I played it seems the game does it on its own but I only got as far as getting the radio.

Thank you. I forgot about this little trick and it makes it easier to fire up the game now.

XOMTOR

Thanks for the .bat script. I've added it as a download to the guide for SH2.

No problem, not sure where I came across this but as long as it works. BTW, thanks for making and updating this thread, it's nice to have a resource here on GAF for the PC versions of these great games.

In regards to your conundrum with lens flare + APP, I am unfortunately unable to help you as I don't have a Nvidia card on me. And you are entirely certain that you do not have any global settings with AA overriding all applications, including SH2? Maybe another user with a Nvidia card could elaborate on the issue, as I am unable to test it for you.

Yea, I checked everything although I use nVidia Inspector so it's not like an AA setting could go unnoticed. It's no big deal actually since I can't figure out what APP does and the lens flare effect...meh, not really a big fan of these types of effects on 3rd person games (or 1st person either for that matter).

JRW

Odd thing, using that batch file launches the game but it's still running on all 4 cores (sound looping glitch occurs), I'm probably overlooking something.. (Win 7).

EDIT: After trying numerous different command lines via Google research and getting nowhere I finally found a method that works ... I converted the .BAT file to an .EXE using this program (.bat file is using the same command line XOMTOR lists) and now it's setting affinity properly when launching (Yay).

This may have to do with me running SH2 as Administrator but I have to in order for it to save my games. (also run the converted bat file as Admin.)

kuYuri

Whenever I try to load the SH2 profile for Xpadder, I keep getting error message "range check error." Any tips? Have both version 5.6 and 5.7.

If anything, would someone be willing to type out the SH2 profile manually so I can configure it manually myself?

Thanks for any help.

JRW

Ive never seen range check error, Have you setup the controller in Xpadder so that's it's being detected at least before loading the profile?

I setup most of the 360 controller in SH2 itself and used Xpadder to assign the remaining buttons that SH2 wouldn't map (L & R triggers & Right analog).

So in Xpadder I only have the Left trigger mapped to S (search view) and Right trigger F (aim lock / draw weapon), Right analog stick is mapped to the up / down / left / right arrow keys although I rarely use right analog in the game, PS2 version used right analog to look around while holding L2 button, but I just use L trigger + Left analog.

I printed out this image to get a starting point of how to map the buttons in game, but you can also configure functions to the Left & Right analog sticks when being pressed as a button (such as Reload when clicking right analog stick etc.)

W4tmI.jpg

NZNova

Well I just ebayed a copy of Silent Hill 2 for the PS2. I've got Silent Hill 3 lying around at home. Never put more than 5 minutes into either of 'em. So, I guess we'll see how this goes when it arrives.

JRW

Well I just ebayed a copy of Silent Hill 2 for the PS2. I've got Silent Hill 3 lying around at home. Never put more than 5 minutes into either of 'em. So, I guess we'll see how this goes when it arrives.

Ya I was thinking about buying SH2 PS2 just to see what it was like originally, My PS3 is a 60gb launch model with full hardware PS2 support so might be worth it.

Quikies83

How in the world do I get Xpadder to work with SH3? I've gone in to the SH3 options and backed out all the control settings in the second column. I've created a new 360 profile within xpadder and am running it as admin - I then launch the game and it's like xpadder isn't recognized. What am I missing. I also tried downloading the profile listed in this thread (for SH2) -- no dice.

edit: Nevermind. Got it

Quikies83

One more question. Anyway to force vsync with AMD card? The game looks great at my 1680x1050 resolution but I'm getting scan lines/tearing when I move the camera every now and then.

kuYuri

Ive never seen range check error, Have you setup the controller in Xpadder so that's it's being detected at least before loading the profile?

Definitely. I've used Xpadder to play MAME and such using 360 controller. I'll keep fiddling with it, thanks for the help.

EDIT: I've managed to recreate the control scheme.

One last question, is it possible to make the game run at 60fps or is it always locked to 30? I don't mind 30 at all, I'm just curious.

Lime

One more question. Anyway to force vsync with AMD card? The game looks great at my 1680x1050 resolution but I'm getting scan lines/tearing when I move the camera every now and then.

Either force Vsync through Catalyst Vision Engine Control Center (lol at the rename) or use D3D Overrider to force Vsync. I usually use the latter.

Sourcerer

Skimmed all posts, but didn't find anything so hopefully I didn't miss it.

Is there anyway to get SH2 to run at 2560x1440? It's not an option in the repatcher.

alf717

I just noticed Lime added more images. Good timing to since Big Picture mode is in beta.

Ya I was thinking about buying SH2 PS2 just to see what it was like originally, My PS3 is a 60gb launch model with full hardware PS2 support so might be worth it.

Try to get the Greatest Hits version. This will give you Born from a Wish and the UFO ending.

Is there anyway to get SH2 to run at 2560x1440? It's not an option in the repatcher.

Try using a hex editing program you might be able to edit in the value for that resolution.

JRW

Try to get the Greatest Hits version. This will give you Born from a Wish and the UFO ending.

Nice I hadn't realized they released an updated PS2 SH2 with the added scenario, I see a few on eBay for decent prices. I'm at the Hospital in PC version now and really starting to enjoy the game and it's creepy atmosphere (first time playing it).

Thanks.

Guri

Could someone explain to me how to use Xpadder on Silent Hill 3? I download the profile, but I really don't know what to do now, because I never used it.

EDIT: By the way, I saw the instructions, I tried to load it, but it didn't seem to work.

Lime

Yeah, as alf717 mentioned, I made some new Steam icons (The art of SH3 is always a joy to fiddle around with, because the style and colours palette are so nice) Might come in handy when people move to the Big Picture mode in Steam.

You need to edit hex values, which is a pain in the dick/vagina. This thread might help you: https://www.wsgf.org/forum/12895/silent-hill-2-1920x1080

rjfs

Neo Member
Has anyone played through 2 or 3 on a 60gb PS3? Seems easier to me but I'm wondering if it's worth it. Also any hope for widescreen?

Lime

Added the .exe file for SH2, so that the automatic CPU affinity now works.

Has anyone played through 2 or 3 on a 60gb PS3? Seems easier to me but I'm wondering if it's worth it. Also any hope for widescreen?

2, 3, and 4 (PAL versions) worked fine for me on my 60GB PS3. However, they play in 480p and are not able to be played in widescreen (stretched 4:3 image).

Guri

So, I think I made Xpadder work, but where do I do my own config? In-game menu or Xpadder?

EDIT: Got it!

Hmm can't seem to get any AA settings to enable in SH2, maybe it's a Nvidia thing. I'm alt tabbing out of the game and selecting AA Override in Nvidia control panel and tried various AA settings (8x / 32XCSAA / Supersample etc.) but the game is ignoring everything. (GTX 480 / latest driver).

That's normal. You can't force AA after the game has started.

Lime must have forgot about the nvidia AA workaround I pm'd him/her some time ago:

angular graphics said:
So, I started looking around at the code of the executable that gets loaded in RAM once you run it, and found a bunch of strings that can be used to force options (think of them like command line options).

One of them is called "DX_CONFIG_DRIVER_AA_NOT_BROKEN" which makes the game think the driver's AA is not "broken" so you may have it enabled with no problems.

These strings/hacks can be put in the device.fix file (just open it with notepad).

Now you need to find your graphics card's id code, I got mine from here: http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=nvidia&device_search=Search

(Just search for your own card).

So since my graphics card is a GTX 460 with an id code of "0x0E22" I needed to put these lines in the device.fix:

DEVICE Geforce_460 0E22
HACK DX_CONFIG_DRIVER_AA_NOT_BROKEN 1

like this:

http://i.imgur.com/cxEVa.jpg

Why don't you give it a try and see if it works for you as well? :)

PS It's very bad of them that they don't tell you this hack/string exists!!

^ It should be put in the OP ;-)

rjfs

Neo Member
Added the .exe file for SH2, so that the automatic CPU affinity now works.

2, 3, and 4 (PAL versions) worked fine for me on my 60GB PS3. However, they play in 480p and are not able to be played in widescreen (strecthed 4:3 image).

Thanks for the quick answer :)

I'm going to give them a try on my ps3.

JRW

That's normal. You can't force AA after the game has started.

Lime must have forgot about the nvidia AA workaround I pm'd him/her some time ago:

Wow thanks for this it worked and was immediately noticeable.

Is it safe to assume the 32X CSAA + 8X supersample settings offer the best image quality?

And I'm guessing since we can't alt-tab out to enable AA there's no way to use the in-game Lens flare / Advanced filters when using AA options?

alf717

Anyway to setup a batch file for Silent Hill 3 that would run the FOV hack and then the games .EXE file?

verboten84

Neo Member
I keep getting a "Failed to initialize Directx" error when I try to run SH4 on Win 7 64. SH2 and 3 run just fine, though. Anyone know why?

And I'm guessing since we can't alt-tab out to enable AA there's no way to use the in-game Lens flare / Advanced filters when using AA options?

Lens etc work since you don't have to alt tab at all.

Set them to on, close the game, do the "AA not broken" hack, override AA through the control panel, start the game.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Anyway I can get steam shortcuts to load my xpadder profile in conjunction with the games? It would be more convenient for Big Picture mode.

JRW

Lens etc work since you don't have to alt tab at all.

Set them to on, close the game, do the "AA not broken" hack, override AA through the control panel, start the game.

Ack it was my fault
sEm_redfaced.gif
... I was doing all that but I had entered the Vender ID (10DE) in device.fix instead of the Device ID 06C0 (GTX 480), It's working fine now thanks.

Hopefully the OP adds your Nvidia AA fix method.

Nabs

Anyway I can get steam shortcuts to load my xpadder profile in conjunction with the games? It would be more convenient for Big Picture mode.

Xpadder can actually handle that stuff. Go to Settings > Autoprofile and add your games and profiles there. Just remember to activate and add a blank profile to <Default> so it returns to normal after you're through.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Xpadder can actually handle that stuff. Go to Settings > Autoprofile and add your games and profiles there. Just remember to activate and add a blank profile to <Default> so it returns to normal after you're through.

Awesome, thanks man! I just need to get the FOV tool automatically launch with SH3 and I think I'll have all the games playing without much hassle.

catabarez

Is this on 5.3? I can't seem to find it.

Lime

Updated the OP with angular graphics' AA suggestion to Nvidia users. I remember the PM I received about it, but I never had a Nvidia card to test it out, hence I didn't want to include a seemingly over-complicated guide to forcing AA in case there actually was a much simpler solution.

I keep getting a "Failed to initialize Directx" error when I try to run SH4 on Win 7 64. SH2 and 3 run just fine, though. Anyone know why?

If you have forced triple buffering by D3D Overrider, SH4 won't start and you'll get this error. Imo, SH4 is the worst PC port of the 3 games.

Lime

Is there any real reason why these couldn't be brought to Steam with a little work?

The lack of cognitive functions at a certain game company. Seriously though, I think it's matter of the Japanese view on the PC platform, while Konami may also still have licensing issues with the old voice contracts (I don't know if they resolved the issue with Heather Morris after the fans found her).

But let's just say that I at least have contacted a relevant person about this digital distribution suggestion, especially in regards to distribution on GOG.com, as well as offering the official artwork I have for all 4 Team Silent games. We'll see how the future will turn out, but I'm not necessarily hopeful about it after the HD collection shitfest.

dan2026

I'm not necessarily hopeful about it after the HD collection shitfest.

Worth a try though. If modders can get these games going on modern pcs with a little effort. Then GoG should have no trouble.

I do find it incredible how utterly inept a lot of Japanese videogame companies seem to be these days. Especially with regards to the PC.
Just look at Dark Souls.

JRW

Couple of SH2 shots @ 32X CSAA + 8X Supersample , resized to 720P for forum.

The 1080P versions plus a few more can be viewed here.

m89Es.jpg

3rqV9.jpg

definitely should be added, this worked perfectly for me.

interestingly enough, pausing the game seems to disable all AA. i made a little comparison between no AA and 32x CSAA + 8x supersample on james' face.

sh2_compare5zsg4.png

JRW

I was browsing a Silent hill forum and came across this complete SH2 OST which has all music from the game and is in FLAC format (Link).

Lime

For the SH2 AA/AF stuff, do I have to CCC disable, start SH, then CCC enable every time I play?

Unless angular graphics' nvidia solution applies to AMD cards as well, then that's what I have had to do, because the game checks whether or not AA/AF is enabled at start-up.

Top Bottom