• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

Mojojo

Some great house designs . Would like to know if you guys use floorplans or draw them before making an house. I think my houses end up bad because I make them on a whim and never plan for them ...

and a tip I stumbled upon on official forums : if you disable automatic counter placement for cabinets and counters (option is in the color choices), far more designs appear : rounded counters, , half tile or double tile cabinets, etc..

CzarTim

So, I got the goddamn game a couple of days ago after spending a bit of time with it at a friends house. Some omissions still bother me a little but does the game play damn well and building is so cool now. Changing the house around was never easier. Game was also cheap, so it made it easier.

Great house. Would you mind sharing it? I'd like to put it in my game.

OchreHand

You guys are posting beautiful house designs. I especially like when they look like actual homes, inside and out. As someone that's played the series but never bothered about build mode I need to read up on turorials.

Great house. Would you mind sharing it? I'd like to put it in my game.

Sure. Search by #neogaf or by my ID - Overture88. Some stuff is still not finished and there's a couple of things out of place because I just needed them fast but yea.

Hmm when I switch careers, I'm still stuck in that branch.
I thought it would start you at level 1 of that career which would give you the chance to select another branch when you reached the level (not sure what level it is now) required to choose.

I thought it would start you at level 1 of that career which would give you the chance to select another branch when you reached the level (not sure what level it is now) required to choose.

It sticks me in the lowest level of the branched career, which sucks.

Also, can't build walls on the only rounded building thing? Wtf is that shit?

Chaos17

I actually like this. The sims 3 was way too easy

I want it to be hard, but I want it to be possible for me to beat the game and it become easy. I'd like it if I could keep working hard enough that I no longer needed to focus on my career. Doesn't seem like that's really possible now.
Sims was never a hard game...

Does does this game run on intergrated graphics?

This site will pretty answer to you : http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/the-sims-4/12305/

Nibiru

Banned
OK you bastards. Against my better judgement my wife really wanted this crap so I bought it for her through the Mexican Origin and...

as much as I hate to admit it it's pretty good. I will be the first to admit when I'm wrong and I was. Despite the lack of features from previous games there are a ton of things the previous game never had. It plays much better than the others and is just more engaging imo. I would even go so far as to say that the game is probably even worth $69 just because of the and amount of hours you can get out of it.

Take my word for it if you like the Sims and have been holding out you should probably buy it. Use the HOLA add on for chrome and get it from the Mexico store as many others in this thread have. Use paypal.

Now I will go eat crow ><

JoeBoy101

So my couple had their first, possibly only, child and I am... generally surprised.

No Toddler sucks, but the Baby mechanics are more than I thought they were, and in fact, I think are a bit better than TS3. You have more options than TS3 for interactions with the baby. Yeah, they can't leave the bassinet area, but the most you could do in TS3 was walk around with the baby. Anything else was social and at the crib.

The good things are the baby isn't swaddled ridiculously and it looks like a baby. And quite creepily SOUNDS like a baby to me. And, either due to lassitude, time crunch, or, one hopes, deliberate design, they have no Needs bars. Well, let me rephrase that, no VIEWABLE Needs bars. They still need socialization, food, sleep, and crap their diapers. But, with the exception of diapers, its up to you what they need and you can't check a bar to see how far off they are. And even though they are not selectable, they still have relationship status you can build.

Almost good, but you being able to select when they age up is silly. Throw a couple of days on that shit.

Also, for the record for the thread: I was wrong about the game. Not totally wrong, as they should have waited. This game, if it had another 6-12 months to cook would not only have been a no-brainer, it could have hit it out of the park, even without open world. As it stands, there is too much missing. Its a good game to me, and I enjoy it, but I think there is equal measure of people wrong about it as people being right about the content cut out.

If Maxis really wants to move more copies, they'll release a couple of juicy free updates (pools and NPCs come to mind) instead of idle threats about this being the last game in the series. Maybe in Maxis' hands if they don't get their shit together.

Luigi87

I've been bitching to my friends about this game in spite of never playing TS2 or TS3, due to the removal of features... (in spite of me never experiencing said features)
... But a friend of mine got it, and another friend of mine kept talking about it, and I watched some streams on Twitch, and saw the Mexican price here, and...
... I bought it x_x

I'm done with Screwdriverhands and the inevitable tediousness of actually playing The Sims as a game. Moving onto what these games are actually about.

Was going for a mischievous goblinelephant. I'm quite pleased with the way he turned out.

ilJJfKxtJWxAJ.jpg

Look at him! He's so happy and benign and friendly!

iG9JWhHKCj555.jpg

Right up until he eats your soul.
That walking animation is possibly the best new addition by the way.

So my girlfriend made me buy it in the end. And she seems to like it as a long-time fan of the franchise.

Looks like I'm not the only one in this situation. I'm afraid low sales won't really be EA's problem this time.

The bummers remain bummers, but it's still a pretty good game. Hopefully modders can fix some of it. I want those five traits back. I don't get why EA limited it to three.

Okay, so my house is breaking the game. My sims literally can't do shit because there's so many things in my house. It takes them like 10 minutes (ingame) before acting.

I guess my PC Gaming convention idea is dead.

XTzaMTX.png

JoeBoy101

Okay, so my house is breaking the game. My sims literally can't do shit because there's so many things in my house. It takes them like 10 minutes (ingame) before acting.

XTzaMTX.png

Its ambitious, I'll give you that.

VibratingDonkey said:
The bummers remain bummers, but it's still a pretty good game. Hopefully modders can fix some of it. I want those five traits back. I don't get why EA limited it to three.

Well, technically, you get four with one from your aspiration. But I get your meaning. Having another slot or two would make them more interesting. I would love them to have one required 'bad' trait.

ban25

guys I'd like to move my save file from on pc to the other. Will that generate any problem?

Should be fine. Just copy the saves folder from Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4. Or just copy the whole thing if you're looking to transfer everything.

I'd advice transferring the whole folder.

I tried several times to transfer old save files for The Sims 3 when I changed computers. Broke the game every single time.

JoeBoy101

Should be fine. Just copy the saves folder from Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4. Or just copy the whole thing if you're looking to transfer everything.

Not sure about that. I tried that and it couldn't find my save game. Only worked when I brought the 'Tray' folder over which I believe is your content gallery, which includes all your sims.

Davey Cakes

I am not at all surprised that people jumped the gun on this one.

Maybe I'll give it a go when I'm up for another Sims experience. I skipped Sims 3, after all.

cory64

Upper cabinets are broken on diagonal walls. Well cabinets in general on diagonal walls, but the upper ones don't line up right at all.

Its ambitious, I'll give you that.

Well, technically, you get four with one from your aspiration. But I get your meaning. Having another slot or two would make them more interesting. I would love them to have one required 'bad' trait.

You can have a ton more than that if you spend your Aspiration points on them. But, yeah, cutting it down to 3 traits seems like a really weird decision. I wouldn't be surprised if the next expansion added a couple new traits and another slot.

Delio

Thought I'd share my house right you guys. I got it from the community and it was made by curtisparadis one my my favorite simmer. I added the rocks and the Palm Trees.

10393762_10152701753289100_6883471894519238745_n.jpg

lol, I'm really digging some of these aspiration rewards. If you max out on the Best-Selling Author one, you basically gain the ability to make
a horcrux. You can write a Book of Life and then fill it with a person's story. If that person dies, you can use the book to bring them back. Pretty awesome.
Okay I unlocked this reward
(Door of Perception)
as well but how do I use it? Can't see anything in the inventory or writing options either. I saw the Biography option but all it did was write a normal book.

XTzaMTX.png

ahahaha

sorry man it's just that sudden idea...It's great. No really, it's brilliant.

I can't stop laughing though.

It's taking me like 2 hours to complete my roof... you guys will see why.

Edit: fuck my game crashed!

Edit2: okay yeah it crashed when I tried to save, and it didn't save.

But here is what it looks like and you can imagine how it would be when it gets filled up.
sPXcyfQ.jpg

It's a convention centre, so it has an eco friendly green roof. I filled up the entire roof with the hedge maze blocks. It costed like 800 thousand to a million to do so.
I'm literally destroying the game with objects.

Kurita

So, do you guys think the game is still worth getting even with all the stuff they took out?
I have to say I'm a bit curious since I'm a fan of the franchise...

Chaos17

So my girlfriend made me buy it in the end. And she seems to like it as a long-time fan of the franchise.

Looks like I'm not the only one in this situation. I'm afraid low sales won't really be EA's problem this time.

That's pretty normal, there ain't any other sims like game around so either you make her try other kind of simulation game like animal crossing or either she will stick to sims till it die one day.

So, do you guys think the game is still worth getting even with all the stuff they took out?
I have to say I'm a bit curious since I'm a fan of the franchise...
At the moment, I'm more worried about all the bugs the game has.

Okay I unlocked for this reward
(Door of Perception)
as well but how do I use it? Can't see anything in the inventory or writing options either. I saw the Biography option but all it did was write a normal book.

The
Door of Perception
is a door so go into build mode and you'll see it. They didn't actually give you a free one in this case, they just unlocked it for you to buy. A little lame, but writers seem to be the richest in this game anyway.

xaszatm

Banned
So, I bought this game and I have a question.

Is there anyway to create a new world or new neighborhoods? I remember them saying that each world would have multiple neighborhoods but I'm only seeing one.

The
Door of Perception
is a door so go into build mode and you'll see it. They didn't actually give you a free one in this case, they just unlocked it for you to buy. A little lame, but writers seem to be the richest in this game anyway.
Ohhh, so there it was. Thanks! Anyway how is it used? Just gives me an option to change it to the front door and nothing else
(where are those special properties hidden?)
. D:

I think I'd rather play Sims 3, heck Sims 1 seems like an upgrade.

Not sure what's new, despite having read the OT.
The conversation system is the only saving grace of the game. The game is really bare but most of what's present is decent enough. I wish the conversation system from this game could be placed into TS3.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's taking me like 2 hours to complete my roof... you guys will see why.

Edit: fuck my game crashed!

Edit2: okay yeah it crashed when I tried to save, and it didn't save.

But here is what it looks like and you can imagine how it would be when it gets filled up.
sPXcyfQ.jpg

It's a convention centre, so it has an eco friendly green roof. I filled up the entire roof with the hedge maze blocks. It costed like 800 thousand to a million to do so.
I'm literally destroying the game with objects.

what is your origin name? is this posted to the community? I'd love to see if my work computer could handle this! :)

DJKhaled

its really a great game, i swore i wouldnt buy it but i couldnt help myself plus my gf loves the sims. it runs really great, yeah its bare, but to be honest, besides the cars, pets and university, i didnt use anything in the expansion packs anyway and they will be added in time.

Alienous

The emotions are cool. It's a similar integral improvement as the traits system added in Sims 3. The sims just feel less ... static, generally. It also helps to make Sims 4 feel more 'game-y'; something like trying to get your sim inspired to learn a skill faster adds a layer of strategy to the experience.

Sims 3 I can see someone preferring but not Sims 1. Just the whole genetics thing should make everyone prefer every sequel to the original. Multitasking is a pretty big deal too. Being able to use your phone on the toilet is great. The emotions are essential now. They aren't perfect, but wow it's a good change.

I do miss the open world of 3. It's not totally gone in 4, you can walk from your house and explore the segment of your neighborhood. So it doesn't feel so constrained. But having to load to go to the "downtown" area hurts the immersion. It's even worse that you have to load again when going from the Art Museum to the Lounge even though you can walk to the location without loading. It's just strange.

I've seen people say the loading is better than waiting in the taxi and watching the neighborhood pop in and out, but I can't remotely agree. First of all, you can just zoom all the way out or go right to the lot and wait there or play with another sims at the house or somewhere else in the neighborhood. I'd rather do or watch that than a loading screen. Second of all, in the Sims 4, if your sim is far from the exit you have to wait for them to get there. So it's like an additional load screen.

But yes the initial loading screen is wonderfully short, I hope expansions don't add to it too much.

The world is really small too. It's shocking how few empty lots there are and you can't change their sizes. They really should have had 3 neighborhoods with the base game.

Still, I'm addicted again.

Chaos17

So, I bought this game and I have a question.

Is there anyway to create a new world or new neighborhoods? I remember them saying that each world would have multiple neighborhoods but I'm only seeing one.

As far I know : no.

World Features:
Open World Gameplay - You will not be able to walk everywhere in the world, nor observe lots outside of the current lot in The Sims 4. To travel from lot to lot, you will go through a loading screen like in The Sims 2.
World Size shrunk to 25 lots - Sectioned into 5 different neighborhoods with up to 5 lots in each. Down from 100+ lots in The Sims 3.
World editing - You cannot add new lots to the world, and the game starts with only two empty lots per world.
Terrain Tools - You cannot make hills, lakes, or do any kind of landscaping on your lot. They are all completely flat.
"Rabbitholes" - There are no buildings signifying workplaces, theaters, day spas, stadiums or similar. All such activities will be done by the Sim simply walking out of the neighborhood.
Graveyards - There is no place to bury the dead, you will have to keep them at home.

I say it's alright, I have 12 traits now :lol
Guess what I'm bothered by is that you can't add more of the original traits. I want more of the ones that affect the way the AI behaves. Basically, I want more simulation in my The Sims.

It'd be cool if there were sliders for traits too, instead of just on/off. Increase or decrease the frequency and severity of that type of behavior. I can tell Snellefanten to sabotage all the things in my neighbor's house when no one's looking, but it'd be fantastic if the AI would do things like that by itself. As it is he just seems to occasionally pull out the airhorn or kick over a garbage bin. Which he later put back up for some reason, probably because he tried to throw something away because I couldn't give him the "Slob" trait.

The plumbob that pops up for maybe 4 seconds is barely a loading screen. Feels seamless to me.

Just timed a trip to the museum. 30 seconds of loading to go there, 25 seconds to come back. I wouldn't call that barely. It's shorter than the minutes long loading screen when you first loaded a game in the Sims 3, but in no way is it seamless.

Top Bottom