• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

Other than Aliens, I'm not really motivated into getting this Expansion Pack immediately. Some time when I feel like making Sims 4 even more lively, but not now.

Corgi

Banned
really wish the jobs were different. They are mostly the same as the ones in the expansion for 3.

Curious if they change any of the systems for how jobs work, or is it pretty much fetch quests.

Was pretty disappointed with detective in 3.

Delio

Well the jobs seem interesting I guess. I'm interested in the make your own buisness thing so I may end up buckling down and getting this.

Pluto

I don't care that much about the active careers, having my own shop is much more appealing. I want an art gallery and I think I'll try having a clothing store.

Corgi

Banned
what was the last sims expansion that had a full fledge business system. Can't remember the last one where you can run your own kitchen.

Soulfire

Open For Business was one of my favorite expansions on The Sims 2 so I'm having a hard time not getting excited for this one.

How is the Sims 4? Has it gotten much better the past 5 months to warrant a purchase?

Yes. Even if you don't buy anything, its covered most of the launch issues. It still feels oddly a step down without the open world but it isn't THAT big of a deal. At least the loading screens are super fast.

I believe that's not actually the team which worked on the Sims. Different Maxis house.

From what I understand, significant numbers of people responsible for The Sims 4 at Redwood Shores were laid off as well. Polygon says it was a handful but I've heard it was more than a handful and everyone working on finishing the upcoming expansion is rather nervous.

"EA is also laying off "a handful of people" from the Sims team at the company's Redwood Shores offices, an anonymous EA source told Polygon. "
http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/4/8149791/ea-closes-maxis-simcity-the-sims

Zareka

Anyone know where I can find Custom Content hair done in the same style as the base hair? I can easily find a ton of hair downloads, but finding some that don't look freakishly out of place on my sims is proving pretty difficult.

I've had the same problem with all sims games now I think about it. What's with peoples obsession with making realistic looking hair? It looks terrible.

Couple examples of what I mean:
w-600h-450-2555064.jpg
w-600h-450-2557357.jpg
Unless I mod my sims face, skin, and just about everything else too, this stuff looks like garbage in game. I want stuff that looks good on default sims that haven't been messed with.

McNum

A lot of people like the shiny Uncanny Valley look, but I don't see the appeals. That has to look really odd when a Sim overreacts to something, as they usually do.

A term I've fond useful when searching for custom content is "Maxis match". Some people deliberately try to copy the style of the base game hair, objects and clothes and since Sims 2 that has been the term for it. Even if that term is a little morbid now.

Labrys

Anyone know where I can find Custom Content hair done in the same style as the base hair? I can easily find a ton of hair downloads, but finding some that don't look freakishly out of place on my sims is proving pretty difficult.

I've had the same problem with all sims games now I think about it. What's with peoples obsession with making realistic looking hair? It looks terrible.

Couple examples of what I mean:

Unless I mod my sims face, skin, and just about everything else too, this stuff looks like garbage in game. I want stuff that looks good on default sims that haven't been messed with.

Look for "Maxis Match" Custom Content. They match the mesh and texture style of the original stuff rather than the individual-strands-of-hair look.

EDIT: i can't read apparently, sorry

R0ckman

Think they are shoving out the door to wrap up Sims 4 period.

Is the game doing that bad? I like the artistic direction, waaaaaay more entertaining than 3 in terms of experssions. Was looking on the official forums (a hub for complainers) and the styles people wanted were boring as hell.

Labrys

Sims 4 reminds me a lot of what Sims 1 and 2 looked like, which I really like. Sims 3 didn't interest me because it took out a lot of what I liked about the series (non-rabbitholes for community lots, etc). I don't think 4 is doing that bad.

Zareka

Look for "Maxis Match" Custom Content. They match the mesh and texture style of the original stuff rather than the individual-strands-of-hair look.

EDIT: i can't read apparently, sorry

No no no, this is exactly what I was looking for, my post was just a bit of a structural mess. A quick google search has landed me on a Tumblr and while, understandably, hair variations seem a bit limited at the moment it looks way better than any of the new 'realistic' hairs I can find. Thanks a ton!

elelunicy

Per EA CFO Blake Jorgensen

We won’t have The Sims obviously, that we had this year but we’ll have a long stretch of Sims Expansion Packs during the year to keep that Sims product exciting.

Source

Hows Sims 4 on mac, is it buggy?

I tried it on my MBP and it works flawlessly.

The game is also 64-bit on Mac. Hope they'd release a 64-bit version for PC soon.

Zareka

Wake me up when we get seasons back.

I'm still mad they're not putting that in with the base game. I know, business, but still! Life simulation! Weather!

McNum

Sorry if this is old but it looks like there is finally a Story Progression + Master Controller mod out.

http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680

I haven't gotten a chance to try it out but from the description it looks like it has a lot of the basic features. It will be cool if it expands and gives us as many custom options as the Sims 3 nraas mods did.
Yeah. It sounds encouraging. I hope this takes off and becomes the new StoryProgression/MasterController mod. I mean, I wish I didn't have to wait for basic Story Progression to be a mod at all, but... this is nice.

Corgi

Banned
as always, remember about mexico origin :p

picked up the expansion after watching LGR's review for $28.

baking and jobs.

hope the Police track is a bit more interesting than the one in Ambitions.

Picked up the expansion and it's really fun so far. Though my cupcake cafe just loses money everyday and my sole employee prefers playing on her phone over making sales.

Thought the game bugged out on me when my male sim got pregnant. I now have an alien baby.

Corgi

Banned
Picked up the expansion and it's really fun so far. Though my cupcake cafe just loses money everyday and my sole employee prefers playing on her phone over making sales.

Thought the game bugged out on me when my male sim got pregnant. I now have an alien baby.

not really worth having employees early on until you start making money.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Congratulations on the baby!

Delio

The expansion is fun. My son's wife owns a cute dress/knicknack shop right now and made one thousand on the first day. Humble beginnings.

Congratulations on the baby!

Thanks, lol

Bakerys suck. :/ The part I was looking forward to the most as well. They behave just like regular retail stores, when they really should have some tweaked mechanics. Sims walk behind the counter, into the kitchen, etc. They don't sit down to have cupcakes but buy them as if there were just any item and then leave. Maybe my expectations were just too high, but with EA clamouring you can open your own bakery OR normal retail store I was expecting something else.
Janine Hawkins' review sums up the shortcomings of the expansion pretty well: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/04/the-sims-4-get-to-work-review-half-baked.html

Haven't tried any of the other professions but they seem pretty fun at least (especially the Detective part).

Hey guys,

Anyone know if I can get the Sims 4 DD cheaper than full price anywhere? I haven't gamed on a PC since 1998 and just got my new PC today, so I'm not sure of most of the websites to trust.

I tried GreenManGaming as it had a voucher for 20% off but it didn't seem to work. Any places I can check?

deadfolk

Hey guys,

Anyone know if I can get the Sims 4 DD cheaper than full price anywhere? I haven't gamed on a PC since 1998 and just got my new PC today, so I'm not sure of most of the websites to trust.

I tried GreenManGaming as it had a voucher for 20% off but it didn't seem to work. Any places I can check?

Use Hola unblocker to buy it from the Mexican origin store.

Top Bottom