• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

The song that accompanies the ghost trailer is pretty good. Props to the artist.

If they're just going to release pools later, why were they so weird and defensive about it pre-release. All they had to say was, "We're working on it, and we'll give it away for free when it's finished".

...unless that wasn't the original plan?

Considering Sim Guru Graham explicitly said that pools were difficult to implement, I would wager that pools were not a part of plan.

Fitz

So is there supposed to be background music playing in-game the whole time? Or just after purchasing a radio, because I don't think I've heard a single track outside of the options menu testing.

Kabouter

So is there supposed to be background music playing in-game the whole time? Or just after purchasing a radio, because I don't think I've heard a single track outside of the options menu testing.

During live mode, only when the radio is on, as always in the Sims really.

Koomaster

Anyone having issues with urns/tombstones suddenly deleting dead/ghost sims?

I'm playing a legacy family and I'm in the 5th generation. Loaded up my game today and noticed my 1st generation's (husband & wife) urns were now blank.

Just says "_________ RIP" instead of 'Betty Angel RIP' There is also no option to mourn the sim or even send spirit back to the netherworld. Also books and paintings they did now list it was created by '_______' as well. Even the book of life just says '_____'s epic tale' and is useless. It's now like they never existed.

I remember one of them being a ghost and haunting the house yesterday, but today nothing.

RS4-

So as a writer, what's up with not being able to submit to the literary digest. Done it once pre-job requirement, but it's been probably two weeks and the option is still greyed out.

Haven't been getting royalties either, only getting money from (self) published work.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
has anyone been messing around with mods? I heard there was one that could expand the base games family size limit (like the one that was created for TS3). Any chance anyone knows where I can find that one?

Delio

has anyone been messing around with mods? I heard there was one that could expand the base games family size limit (like the one that was created for TS3). Any chance anyone knows where I can find that one?

Only mod I've touched lately is the Same sex baby mod. Other than that I havent used any others.

Koomaster

Sort of been on a building kick lately so I made this...

GoldenDove.png

Probably my biggest project yet. It's a luxury hotel that has 30 guest rooms, 4 premium suites, a restaurant & wedding reception area (both with bars), a top floor gym. Even made 'elevators' for each floor as well as a 'laundry room'. Heh. You could house an entire town or two in this place.

Also made a cinema...

As well as a old world style pirate themed park...

And last one; made a gym with a race track out back...

If anyone is interested in downloading any of those; search for #koomasterpc in the gallery.

How is this game now it has been out a little while? Worth picking up?

If you like series it is worth it, especially if you skipped Sims 3. It is still a bit lacking in content compared to other base games in the series but the core engine is great. They've already proven they are supporting it with some big free updates.

deadfolk

If you like series it is worth it, especially if you skipped Sims 3. It is still a bit lacking in content compared to other base games in the series but the core engine is great. They've already proven they are supporting it with some big free updates.

Thanks. My internet is down right now, but I might take the plunge when (if) it comes back.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Probably my biggest project yet. It's a luxury hotel that has 30 guest rooms, 4 premium suites, a restaurant & wedding reception area (both with bars), a top floor gym. Even made 'elevators' for each floor as well as a 'laundry room'. Heh. You could house an entire town or two in this place.

Also made a cinema...

If anyone is interested in downloading any of those; search for #koomasterpc in the gallery.

This is stellar stuff dude. I really dig it.

Jac_Solar

Most people on NeoGaf are aware of the games that developers seemingly only made to make money; lesser sequels that weren't "necessary", relatively simplistic games based on popular franchises, but it seems like Sims 4 takes it to another level.

The Sims games have pretty much always been hugely popular, yet the release of Sims 4 was really low-key, and the amount of features, mechanics and general content that's "missing" is staggering.

So, why did they even consider releasing this? I mean, I'd understand if it was a standalone game, or something like that, but this is a numbered entry in a very popular series? Based on a quick read-through on the missing stuff, it seems like it'd be obvious that this game would only damage the franchise.

EA has done this before, but they've never been this blatant about it -- the releases and sequels were, more or less, "complete games", or, at least, there could easily be 2 sides to the argument about whether or not a game was a worthy sequel, if the new features/gameplay/content are fun, a debate on whether or not the removal of features/gameplay/content from the previous game made the sequel better or not, or worthy of a release, and so forth.

It doesn't seem like that's the case with this game, so why would they release a game that would, seemingly, only damage the Sims franchise?

Or did they maybe put aside the majority of the content for DLC and expansion packs, because they expected people to buy this with the same enthusiasm as they did with the previous games?

Prodigal

Banned
Been enjoying the hell out of this game; first time playing since Sims 1. Anybody got any friends looking for a key? I got a couple I'm looking to get rid of for pretty cheap.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member

Or did they maybe put aside the majority of the content for DLC and expansion packs, because they expected people to buy this with the same enthusiasm as they did with the previous games?

I am betting that this is the case for everything that is missing that has pretty much been there since the first The Sims game.

Also made a cinema...

Wow! Those look amazing. Great job. But of course they aren't used for what they were built for right?

Maledict

Most people on NeoGaf are aware of the games that developers seemingly only made to make money; lesser sequels that weren't "necessary", relatively simplistic games based on popular franchises, but it seems like Sims 4 takes it to another level.

The Sims games have pretty much always been hugely popular, yet the release of Sims 4 was really low-key, and the amount of features, mechanics and general content that's "missing" is staggering.

So, why did they even consider releasing this? I mean, I'd understand if it was a standalone game, or something like that, but this is a numbered entry in a very popular series? Based on a quick read-through on the missing stuff, it seems like it'd be obvious that this game would only damage the franchise.

EA has done this before, but they've never been this blatant about it -- the releases and sequels were, more or less, "complete games", or, at least, there could easily be 2 sides to the argument about whether or not a game was a worthy sequel, if the new features/gameplay/content are fun, a debate on whether or not the removal of features/gameplay/content from the previous game made the sequel better or not, or worthy of a release, and so forth.

It doesn't seem like that's the case with this game, so why would they release a game that would, seemingly, only damage the Sims franchise?

EA have been making questionably choices for the last few years in many areas, I think this is just another one of those. Between forcing potential new IPs into first person shooters, the SimCity fiasco, Origins, Biowares rushed deadlines, the ongoing weird relationship with Microsoft, they seem to really be on a roll.

Shame because that brief period where they were pushing new IPs and taking risks resulted in one of my favourite games from the last gen (Dead Space), but now the only things I am even vaguely interested in is Biowares new stuff - but only after the GaF collective reviews them first!

I saw a Sims 4 Prima Strategy Guide™ for sale the other day... blew my mind. Unfortunately it was shrink-wrapped so I could never see the protips contained within.

It was only ~$25 at Wal-Mart. You know what to do, Sims4GAF.

McNum

Ah, I've been a bit out of the Sims 4 loop for a while. Stupid Smash Bros. Anyway, OP updated to reflect the current state of the game.

The pools look pretty good. Good thing that I have been getting back into Sims 4 lately, though I still haven't gotten a chance with the ghosts since I have just recently had a sim die from age. I should build a pool and invite people
to trap and drown them for plenty of ghosts

Zareka

Has there been any luck with new user created hairstyles yet? Options for the guys suck. Trying to create myself in game is impossible because there's no medium-long hair.

I know there's a mod for genderless hair but I don't have any of the woman hair either.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Looks like another nice free patch.

I wish people didn't give this game such a hard time. It's really not SimCity all over again. The base game is really good, only lacking in some content, and they've just put out 2 good monthly free content updates, with at least one more coming. I'm really happy with the game myself.

With two months passing since I have had the game, Sims 4 (base game) has been an enjoyable experience despite that some things were missing, but even the most recognizable features (ghosts, pools) are being thrown in as a free update. It definitely isn't bad like all of us was expecting it to be.

EDIT: Updated Sims 4 and Origin keeps saying that an update is required. Something isn't right.
EDIT2: Found the solution. Restart Origin after updating Sims 4 at least once and then try playing Sims 4 again.

Corgi

Banned
what are fun careers? Ended up being quite disappointed with 'professional gamer' the first sim i made :(

Wasn't even a good money source.

hope they do another expansion like the ambitions for 3.

what are fun careers? Ended up being quite disappointed with 'professional gamer' the first sim i made :(

Wasn't even a good money source.

hope they do another expansion like the ambitions for 3.

The small amount of career options is my biggest complaint. Fortunately, there will be a patch in December that adds some more, I believe.

If you're looking for money, have your Sim be a writer. Not in the career path but rather have them stay at home, write, and publish novels. You can easily have dozens of books bringing in royalties of hundreds of dollars a day.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The small amount of career options is my biggest complaint. Fortunately, there will be a patch in December that adds some more, I believe.

If you're looking for money, have your Sim be a writer. Not in the career path but rather have them stay at home, write, and publish novels. You can easily have dozens of books bringing in royalties of hundreds of dollars a day.

They should get this character in as DLC as your editor:

bh3.jpg

Ah, good ol' Bojack and Penguin ;).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Picking this one up, finally. I had been waiting on the pools.

I used this GreenManGaming coupon for 20% off (US): NOVEMB-ERGMGX-20XOFF

Okay... My sim just got a trash bag stuck to his hand.

Nice meal I guess.

Yluf6lX.jpg

That's a hefty meal, looks like he's glad to be eating it though.

Well played.

I like that they acknowledge people wanting to wall their pools off after filling it up.

Yeah, they really catered to the core audience there, lol.

Laekon

Can anyone clarify what integrated graphics will run this game well? I'm trying to help find a laptop for a christmas gift and playing Sims 4 is one of the needs. The 4400 seems to be the best in the price range.

Corgi

Banned
Can anyone clarify what integrated graphics will run this game well? I'm trying to help find a laptop for a christmas gift and playing Sims 4 is one of the needs. The 4400 seems to be the best in the price range.
should run fine. Sims games always have decent scaling options. and with this not being a big no loading open world, its less demanding and less buggy than 3.

man. poor idea of having a secret agent and a musician in the same family.

Trying to get 7 friends for each of them to advance their careers is a pain lol.

Koomaster

Oh wow, only seeing those now Koomaster, great job, they look brilliant.
Those are really good!
This is stellar stuff dude. I really dig it.
Wow! Those look amazing. Great job. But of course they aren't used for what they were built for right?
This one is pretty good. I wish I had your creativity!

Thanks everyone! :D I just really enjoy building in the game. The tools have improved a lot since Sims3. Spend more time building than actually playing with the Sims.
Ended up bulldozing an entire town and filling it up with my own community lots and houses. You can see some of the stuff on the map I've posted before...

After I got done with all of that; made some more over the past week.

A Billard's style pool bar...

Odd looking hotdog house...

A Southwest inspired home...

A Pacman themed nightclub...

Thanks everyone! :D I just really enjoy building in the game. The tools have improved a lot since Sims3. Spend more time building than actually playing with the Sims.
Ended up bulldozing an entire town and filling it up with my own community lots and houses. You can see some of the stuff on the map I've posted before...

These are amazing. :eek:

Delio

These are awesome! I love the Pool bar.

that pacman themed one is killer!!

surprisingly I've never really been big into killing off sims through all my years of dedication. in fact i've always prolonged their lives as long as possible so they could reproduce infinitely. except once when i wanted to see if i could kill an ugly baby i didn't want. she just walked on water to retrieve it from the pool floor. :'(

Koomaster

These are amazing. :eek:
These are awesome! I love the Pool bar.
that pacman themed one is killer!!
That pac man one is amazing. How did you do the lights?
Thanks for the compliments again everyone. :)

The lights, you mean like the colors? I had to bring a sim to the lot while I was building, then go into live mode and click on each light individually and there is an option to change the color/intensity of the light. So it was a long process.

Top Bottom