• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

Tabby

I actually went out and cancelled my preorder today. I'll probably get the game on Origin, but man... that preorder was a year old. Back when I was all hyped and hopeful that this would be the best game ever and I'd give it the best |OT| ever as it would rightfully deserve!

One year later and "The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!" Puts things into perspective.

I hope to hear from some of you people who'll get it tomorrow, I still have to wonder if I'll order it on Origin or not. Well, I probably will, but just the basic Limited edition. Save some money that way.
Doesn't Origin have that money back refund thing going on?
Why didn't you just play a few hours and get a refund if you didn't like it?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If that was the case, they would never have patched the online only in Sim City. I mean it took a long time, but it shows they did see the massive backlash. Same with the idea that they scrapped the online only for Sims 4 because of it. They wouldn't have done either of those if they didn't care and only wanted short term profit. They may have their own misguided ideals for their games, but they aren't immune to backlash and I'm pretty sure they realise that.

That was as much damage control as they were willing to budget. There hasn't been a new update in 4 months, and there are still loads of problems with the game.

Zafir

That was as much damage control as they were willing to budget. There hasn't been a new update in 4 months, and there are still loads of problems with the game.
Yes but that still means they cared enough to bother. They would have left it as is if they really didn't care, hence my original point.

Either way in regards to Sim City. I think they'd be better off just moving to the next one, and make use of what they learned. Instead of trying to fix something which is kind of broken from a fundamental level. Especially since some people won't go back regardless of how much they fix it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yes but that still means they cared enough to bother. They would have left it as is if they really didn't care, hence my original point.

They cared enough to bother to help sell their expansion for 6 months for that short term profit gain. If we're being nitpicky about semantics, sure they cared enough to do that, but for me, it does not put them above "not giving a shit" territory.

They could have done a LOT more to salvage the game. They did not. Maybe once Sims 4 releases, they'll put more resources back into SimCity patches, but I'm not holding my breath.

If Sims 4 were the game it deserves to be, tomorrow would be one of the most exciting days of the year for me.

But now...it's just a Tuesday.

Sayers

I'm not so sure I buy the argument that there are tons of uninformed people out there who will purchase this game sight unseen. That list of pulled features has been floating around for a while now. And Sim CIty was a different situation. If I recall correctly, we didn't know of a lot of the issues that game would have until AFTER release. Perhaps I wasn't paying as much attention as others but I remember even the Bombcast guys in their GOTY discussions talking about how that game was nothing like what they had been led to believe it was.

I think EA may be disappointed by their week 1 sales.

If Sims 4 were the game it deserves to be, tomorrow would be one of the most exciting days of the year for me.

But now...it's just a Tuesday.

Seriously, perhaps there will be some enjoyment to be had out of seeing how much worse it can get as people get access to the "full" game :/ If nothing else I'm just completely bewildered by the loading screen regression. If it was originally an online game like some people think wouldn't you want the scale to be increased if anything? I mean, it's a 20 second load to a place with a couple houses and a street.

PC Centric put up their "review" of The Sims 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI1LwaV1egk

Summarizing the 30-min video: Overall gameplay is a bit better than Sims 3. More evolutionary than revolutionary, and core mechanics feel more refined. Mood system is neat (one of his sims was upset and he had an option to have them take an angry poop... lol.). Community UGC is well integrated (I think he said you just press F4 to pull the gallery up). Parts of the game feel like they've taken a step back though (namely pools and not being able to seamlessly go into other houses). If you hate The Sims series, this one won't make you change your mind. If you have TS3 and all of its expansions, it's up to you whether you want to justify buying the game before it has expansions out, as you're going from a game with 13 expansion packs to a new one with 0. If you maybe skipped TS3, or only got the base version of TS3, then he recommends picking it up.

Summarizing the 30-min video: Overall gameplay is a bit better than Sims 3. More evolutionary than revolutionary, and core mechanics feel more refined. Mood system is neat (one of his sims was upset and he had an option to have them take an angry poop... lol.). Community UGC is well integrated (I think he said you just press F4 to pull the gallery up). Parts of the game feel like they've taken a step back though (namely pools and not being able to seamlessly go into other houses). If you hate The Sims series, this one won't make you change your mind. If you have TS3 and all of its expansions, it's up to you whether you want to justify buying the game before it has expansions out, as you're going from a game with 13 expansion packs to a new one with 0. If you maybe skipped TS3, or only got the base version of TS3, then he recommends picking it up.

Someone should maybe setup the review thread? Should be fun

Nibiru

Banned
The Sims 4 represents the worst of EA. Stripped to the bones and still $60. There is no way that a person who has even 2 expansions to Sims 3 should even consider buying this.

If you are that curious watch the Twitch streams like I have and observe how lame this offering truly is. EA should be ashamed to offer this to such a loyal bunch that are their Sim fans.

Well this sure fill me with confidence in the upcoming game.

Fansites receive advance copies of The Sims 4 while reviewers don't.

So what this boils down to, essentially, is that that you cannot trust anything said by a fansite about The Sims 4 as it's unclear who has special access and what the terms of that access may be.

Extra special fun. That thread is on the official The Sims forum, and it's anti-stickied. Meaning no matter when the last post is made, it will never rise to the front page. Didn't know that was a thing. Also, it seems very underhanded. Ah well... Streisand Effect, I choose you!

Z3JK28D.png

EA has no confidence on their product and are expecting fan-sites to do what they themselves could not. EMBARRASSING by all involved.

Jesus tap dancing christ

Genius

Sayers

Someday all the shit EA has pulled WILL catch up with them. I only pray that BioWare can extricate themselves before it all burns down.

Apparently this comes out in 20 minutes.

I'll get it...if for nothing else, I have to see for myself how it compares to its predecessors.

I don't care that I'm part of the problem.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Apparently this comes out in 20 minutes.

I'll get it...if for nothing else I have to see for myself how it compares to its predecessors.

I don't care if I'm part of the problem.
You'll have 24 hours to return it apparently through Orgin guaranteed great games policy.

Just give a detailed review :)

Yeul

I tried telling my little sister everything that's missing in the game and she was like "yeah I know, I'll still play it though". Then again she is 13 so it's whatever. I'll cop her disc play it for science. I'll feel better inside playing it knowing I didn't buy it outright lol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've seen a surprising amount of talk about people excited for tomorrow to get this on my facebook feed, when it's never filled with talk about any game...so my anecdotal evidence atleast makes it seem like the game will do alright.

I wish I was excited, but man. I'll be watching this thread to see how people feel about it.

Delio

So this is out soon? Welp need to watch for twitch streams. Lifesimmer on youtube was playing it and while it looked very clean the load times just...bothered me.

I've been playing it throughout the day and, don't shoot me guys, it's not bad. Yes, there are things missing, but if I hadn't been told what isn't there, I would only have noticed a few things missing. What is there is a very streamlined and polished version of base Sims 3 with improvements like the multitasking and mood system. I like it. I don't know if it is worth $60, but I like it.

Is it wrong that I still hold out hope that this turns around and is okay?

There's certainly nothing wrong with hoping.....it's just very unrealistic.

And this still really hurts. Keep getting excited that a new Sims is out and then it all comes rushing back :/

SummitAve

Banned
Looks good in that overview vid. Hopefully this will be a much more stable base build to build upon in interesting directions.

Mr Swine

Banned
So is it true that the game only uses 1 CPU core and 2GB of ram? How is the performance compared to The Sims 3? Does it stutter and get 10 second lags?

Sayers

Really glad Destiny is next week. I've been hankering for something new to play and I'm afraid that if not for Destiny, I might have eventually caved and picked this up, hating myself all the while.

RP912

Banned
I tried telling my little sister everything that's missing in the game and she was like "yeah I know, I'll still play it though". Then again she is 13 so it's whatever. I'll cop her disc play it for science. I'll feel better inside playing it knowing I didn't buy it outright lol.

Try telling that to a 47 year old mother who is still getting the game because it's suppose to be "better" than the sims 3 -_-

RP912

Banned
I've been playing it throughout the day and, don't shoot me guys, it's not bad. Yes, there are things missing, but if I hadn't been told what isn't there, I would only have noticed a few things missing. What is there is a very streamlined and polished version of base Sims 3 with improvements like the multitasking and mood system. I like it. I don't know if it is worth $60, but I like it.

I saw some of the stream and it looks ok for what it is. I'll probably wait til it hits an origin sale because 60 dollars for this game alone with all of the missing features....lol.

I saw some of the stream and it looks ok for what it is. I'll probably wait til it hits an origin sale because 60 dollars for this game alone with all of the missing features....lol.

Yeah, I got it from Green Man for $40 with a voucher. I wasn't paying $60 for it.

I watched this video and it seemed like he was really hesitant to say anything negative (or anything too positive either) about it. Fair overview about the game, but it seemed like he didn't make any outline of point he wanted to cover. Instead, he just sorta talked casually about it while playing it for 30 minutes. Not much of a review as I hoped to see, but a fairly simple overview of what to expect and some fair suggestion of whether to buy or not. Worth watching.

I really like the community integration, seeing all these other people's houses and stuff done and it doesn't take alt-tabbing or some long loading screen. Multi-tasking and the real-time shadows is really really cool. From watching them actually happen, I don't mind the loading screens. Loading Sims 3 on my computer (which is fairly good for it's age today) takes forever, so I'm now okay with loading screens. I'll probably pick it up when it hits below $20 if I still care about it when the time comes.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I will say this. In 4, the Sims are MUCH better about rolling from one thing to another. I have a 2 Sim household, and if one needs to run to the bathroom, the Sim will start heading there instantly instead of squirming and waving then robotically turning around towards the bathroom and running to it.

The multi-tasking is cool, but it does seem like a lot going on that doesn't mean anything. I love the new UI though, and I think the graphics look really nice so far. There does seem to be a smaller feel to the public areas which kind of sucks, but it is what it is. Part of why I liked University so much was the public areas. I just wish there were more. That said, I think those public areas are only fun when you're just playing one sim. And I love that my Sim and the other Sim naturally started up a conversation while mine was preparing food. No awkwardness at all. And the way you can get group convos going on to build up multiple relationships is nice.

H1PSTER

Any place I can pick this up cheaply?

Edit: My girlfriend adores The Sims but I think she'd dislike this one, however I'm sure she would want to try it.

Foshy

Sounds exactly like my sister lol

She's a huge Sims fan and was very disappointed to read about all the missing stuff but she's still kinda hoping it's good after all and wants it.

Lucifon

Three traits only? Wow, I'm not even surprised when I hear about something else they've taken out anymore.

No, you pick 3 traits initially. There's plenty to choose from. You can gain more traits by doing specific things.

I played for about 2 hours last night and I enjoyed it. Sims seem generally smarter, being able to do multiple actions at the same time is great. Multi person conversations is cool too. Not a fan of the loading screens travelling about, but the bonus of that seems to be you can now visit either of the 2 base game towns - you dont have to pick 1 town initially like in 3, so in theory as expansions and mods are released with more towns there could end up being an absolute tonne of places to go. There's definitely a base game missing content feel if you've gone from playing 3 with 11 expansions to this, but that'll obviously improve over time and is to be expected.

fader

I watched this video and it seemed like he was really hesitant to say anything negative (or anything too positive either) about it. Fair overview about the game, but it seemed like he didn't make any outline of point he wanted to cover. Instead, he just sorta talked casually about it while playing it for 30 minutes. Not much of a review as I hoped to see, but a fairly simple overview of what to expect and some fair suggestion of whether to buy or not. Worth watching.

I really like the community integration, seeing all these other people's houses and stuff done and it doesn't take alt-tabbing or some long loading screen. Multi-tasking and the real-time shadows is really really cool. From watching them actually happen, I don't mind the loading screens. Loading Sims 3 on my computer (which is fairly good for it's age today) takes forever, so I'm now okay with loading screens. I'll probably pick it up when it hits below $20 if I still care about it when the time comes.

yea its a rushed review. He seemed to roll this out to get the quick views while commonly known review sources are scrambling to put out their reviews.

Top Bottom