• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

Xander51

Well, I just played an hour of this. The tech/engine is really smooth and wonderful. Runs fantastically and feels great to play. I like the new build mode, and I like the minimal UI. The content seems...a little thin. And that's putting it mildly. This feels like a great engine that they didn't have any time to build content for and/or are planning on releasing as DLC. Feels like you could see every part of the game in a couple afternoons. Towns are really small, although I will say the load times are quick which makes the non-open world not that big of a deal.

Still, I feel like I'll be done with this in a few days and I'll end up reinstalling The Sims 3.

Lucifon

Well, I just played an hour of this. The tech/engine is really smooth and wonderful. Runs fantastically and feels great to play. I like the new build mode, and I like the minimal UI. The content seems...a little thin. And that's putting it mildly. This feels like a great engine that they didn't have any time to build content for and/or are planning on releasing as DLC. Feels like you could see every part of the game in a couple afternoons. Towns are really small, although I will say the load times are quick which makes the non-open world not that big of a deal.

Still, I feel like I'll be done with this in a few days and I'll end up reinstalling The Sims 3.

I do agree, the content side of stuff is definitely noticeable. But then we're coming from a Sims game which has had the most expansions of any in the series. Sims 2 had 7 expansions, 3 had 11 which is quite a step up. I think they've got a great base here from what I've played, hoping they build on it with proper expansions rather than mini dlc packs.

Looking forward to seeing some reviews. Hopefully performance is good on low-spec laptops, looking at this as a potential present for someone without a high spec PC.

Sayers

Sounds like SimCity

I've seen mixed reception so far. I'll give it a few days so people can see how much substance there is before we start hearing real impressions of the game. We were fooled once with SimCity after all...

There are some horrifying babies being posted over on the Sims forums...

NY8BUuh.jpg

Lucifon

The actual gameplay is significantly better. As many others have said here. Content wise it does feel slightly lacking, but that's after Sims 3 + 11 expansions.

Sims pathing is improved, they can multitask, the emotions add more depth to interactions. They actually act much closer to real people, which almost makes it jarring when you can't do something you'd do in real life - something I'd never felt playing Sims 3.

I mean...my Sim was sat drinking orange juice whilst taking a sit down wee (he's male). Improvement! You can take selfies when out with friends, have conversations with multiple people, and they often take snaps of their food with their phone. Your phone has a seperate menu allowing you to give people a call, ask them out on dates, call services, send them a text etc. You can have a career in e-sports, and gaming is an actual 'skill' this time. There seems to be more skills in general which have actual progression to unlocking new interactions.

I have actually seen a few bugs in only my first few hours, not sure if others have? Nothing major, stuff like people at a bar all of a sudden all just standing up, no animation, just jolt to being stood up rather than animating getting off the chairs. Seen this animation glitch a few time.

cchriss

The actual gameplay is significantly better. As many others have said here. Content wise it does feel slightly lacking, but that's after Sims 3 + 11 expansions.

Sims pathing is improved, they can multitask, the emotions add more depth to interactions. They actually act much closer to real people, which almost makes it jarring when you can't do something you'd do in real life - something I'd never felt playing Sims 3.

I mean...my Sim was sat drinking orange juice whilst taking a sit down wee (he's male). Improvement! You can take selfies when out with friends, have conversations with multiple people, and they often take snaps of their food with their phone. Your phone has a seperate menu allowing you to give people a call, ask them out on dates, call services, send them a text etc. You can have a career in e-sports, and gaming is an actual 'skill' this time. There seems to be more skills in general which have actual progression to unlocking new interactions.

I have actually seen a few bugs in only my first few hours, not sure if others have? Nothing major, stuff like people at a bar all of a sudden all just standing up, no animation, just jolt to being stood up rather than animating getting off the chairs. Seen this animation glitch a few time.

Oh my god, I'm so tempted, but I'll hold out. That lack of content really kills any desire for me to buy the game.

Delio

Does seem to be pretty improved there.

McNum

The vibe I've been picking up from the various communities is that The Sims 4... is.

What's there, while not awesome, works pretty well and feels solid, but the lack of some of the basic content chafes pretty hard at times. So, it sort of evens out to just... is.

Imouto

Banned
The vibe I've been picking up from the various communities is that The Sims 4... is.

What's there, while not awesome, works pretty well and feels solid, but the lack of some of the basic content chafes pretty hard at times. So, it sort of evens out to just... is.

Sound like something that I'll pick up 1 year later, when they adding enough content.

Sandfox

This game looks a lot better than TS3 from what I've seen so far despite things like toddlers missing. All I want is more careers added and some mods.

I don't think he meant through Origin . . .

Let's just say I do what I can to not get others in trouble. :p

Sound like something that I'll pick up 1 year later, when they adding enough content.

Yes, this is my stance, too. I know I will eventually get it, but there's no chance I will buy a gimped game for $60 when I can wait a year and probably get the Deluxe version for 40. I mean, I did get Sims 3 day one, but that game added a lot of exciting or interesting features to the base game, warranting the purchase IMO, even without expansions.

McNum

I never knew this!

I'm going to purchase it now, thank you.
The official terms of the Origin refund policy go something like this:

You can refund the game if the following applies:
- The game is eligible (The Sims 4 is, I checked)
- It is LESS than 24 hours since you started the game up the first time
- It is LESS than 7 days since you bought it. - OR - It is LESS than 7 days since launch if it was pre-purchased.

So, remember that as soon as you hit play, a 24 hour timer starts if you want a refund.

SoundLad

This actually doesn't seem...too bad?

Having seen my girlfriend play TS3 just recently on her laptop re-ignited that old sims flame deep inside.

Will most likely give it chance and get a refund if I find it awful within 24 hours. Any more impressions up yet?

artsi

The game has got a lot of bad rep for missing content, but I might still get this if the core gameplay is solid.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'd still wait a few days to see if people actually do end up seeing everything there is in the game (although creating something yourself will extend longevity). Also waiting to see if modders come up with interesting stuff.

Adzin

Neo Member
I've shrugged off most of the criticism of this game over the past couple of weeks. I understand that it's pretty odd to have some staples of the series - like firefighters and toddlers - removed from 4, but it doesn't really bother me that much.
I'm buying The Sims 4 for a fresh experience. I'm quite a simple Sim player; I enjoy taking it slowly, building up a family from nothing, and I'm quite excited just to play with the new interactions, new objects, new neighbourhood.

I'm really hoping though that the first expansion is a 'Generations' type pack, which could perhaps reintroduce toddlers, and focus more on the family-tree/relationship kind of things.

All this talk about feature being removed in The Sims 4 reminds me of DBZ games.

A new one usually comes out almost every year and while a new game might do things differently than the last and have some new features or gimmick they always then remove or don't include new features or improvements in the previous games.

Tiu Neo

Got it expecting the worse, since Origin has that 24 hours money back guarantee, played for about one hour and... it's not that bad. I missed a lot of things, some things still look strange to me, but it's already better than Vanilla Sims 3.

Maybe with a few expansions it can become something better? Hope the expansions are pretty heavy on content, because this game surely needs it. I'll probably play it a bit more tonight, but there are chances that I'll keep the game, so better than expected.

All this talk about feature being removed in The Sims 4 reminds me of DBZ games.

A new one usually comes out almost every year and while a new game might do things differently than the last and have some new features or gimmick they always then remove or don't include new features or improvements in the previous games.
Pokemon games are notorious for it too, though not to Sims 4 extent.

cchriss

Let's just say I do what I can to not get others in trouble. :p

Yes, this is my stance, too. I know I will eventually get it, but there's no chance I will buy a gimped game for $60 when I can wait a year and probably get the Deluxe version for 40. I mean, I did get Sims 3 day one, but that game added a lot of exciting or interesting features to the base game, warranting the purchase IMO, even without expansions.

Yeah, I have the same stance, probably getting it in a year or so. Bought TS3 day one also and it was pretty enjoyable.

Thanks to this being a work day I could only play for about an hour this morning. In that hour I feel kinda impressed. It performs really well. Far more responsive that either the initial releases of Sims 2 or 3. Its even, dare I say, snappy. The multitasking The Sims can perform is a game changer.You don't have to pick which need to fill. Also it looks better than The Sims 3. I can't put my finger on it but the art seems more consistent and plus the animation is a lot more fluid.

Thats all I picked up in an hour. Don't take this as "Its all great, a must buy" because its not. At least not yet.

Zareka

Wow, that 24 hour refund thing is pretty nice, actually. I might give this game a go since I can just return it for a full refund.

From what I've seen/heard so far, this seems like a good base. But...that was exactly what I was worried about. It's just a base. I would, maybe, be ok with that if this wasn't EA. I just know that, if I want a good, full Sims experience a few years down the line, I'm gonna have to pay silly amounts of money added on to the base game to get it.

I really wish they had spent more time on this. It looks great, the CAS is good and some of the new stuff sounds like a great, natural progression of core systems. But everything around that just seems so lacking.

Necrovex

From what I am reading, this game will probably be pretty good when I come back from to the States in 2017. I still plan to try it out. I must see this trainwreck so I can vote for it for Gaf's Most Disappointing Game of 2014.

So it seems like it's got a solid foundation but it lacks some content that would make it a solid Sims game.
And it runs well.
Hmm. Sounds like a game I'd pick up in a year from now when they have a some patches and essential expansions out.

HT UK

Will wait for this to drop to £15 - £20 I think. It's already at £25 so it probably won't take long!

Paskil

Yeah, after some patches down the line, and maybe a "Deluxe" edition the supplements that game to at least a comparable level to 3 and I might bite. I had given up on 3 because my game was so choppy, but now I realize it was because I had so many content extras attached. I reinstalled the original vanilla without any extras and it runs smooth as butter. I think I'll just continue to play 3 with a few extra packs until 4 is up to snuff.

I like what I see so far, I just can't justify the purchase at this time.

Yeah, I activated the preload this morning on my origin account. I'm on the East Coast.

So it seems like it's got a solid foundation but it lacks some content that would make it a solid Sims game.
And it runs well.
Hmm. Sounds like a game I'd pick up in a year from now when they have a some patches and essential expansions out.

Maybe calling it The Sims 4 is getting them in trouble. Maybe they should have called it The Sims, say they were rebooting the series and getting back to basics it might have been more appealing. Of course they did that with Sim City and that didn't help so what do I know?

Mojojo

let's not fall for launch hype;; in one week the many shortcomings will come bite that game in the ass.

It seems most tools bolstering creativity have been dumbed down or removed..
Building stuff being my favorite part, I don't see how EA could fix no pools, 3 stories max, flat lots, no terrain tools, no CASt, etc... That's not what I call solid foundations, pun intended, these are removed too.
I love the franchise so I'll keep an eye on it, miracles can happen (like EA adding missing stuff for free, and an interesting first EP).

Top Bottom