• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Crewnh said:
Finally ended up watching this after avoiding it for so long. But my friend picked up the blu-ray and forced me to watch it. And I admit defeat, the movie is pretty good.

Though I don't get why the soundtrack is being raved about. Nothing really stood out for me. Was expecting a lot more from Reznor and Ross. But maybe I'm just bitter about Daft Punk not being nominated for anything.

Yeah, Tron's soundtrack is heads and shoulders above TSN's.

I really just think the movie needed a likable character, just one.
The only person that doesn't come across like an a-hole was Ed and I wouldn't call him likable. It felt more like they just set him up as the object of pity in the movie. I found myself just hating the people involved, which I have realized at least says something good about the movie. I've been complaining lately that many of the movies I've been seeing just leave me dead, without ever being moved one way or the other. Now that I think about, this movie got more actual emotion out of me than any movie I've seen in a long time (mostly anger).
huh, now I feel like I should see it again.

Disagree. Outside of Game has Changed and Derezzed I found Social Network's much better.

And Hand Covers Bruise >>>>> Adagio for Tron.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anth0ny said:
Just watched it for the 4th time today, still can't get enough. That blu ray is going to take a beating.

I'm practically on the verge of doing a fifth watch in a few minutes. Grrr. :p

I watched it twice before I lent it to my manager at work. He said he is finally gonna watch it tonight, I keep bugging him cause I want to watch it some more times!

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
DarkWish said:
Agreed. I thought The Social Network had a good soundtrack, but Tron: Legacy's was fantastic.

If they had used Daft Punk's other albums as the soundtrack, I might agree with you but their score was just not up to par.

jaxword

Andrex said:
I still think Pirates is a better movie and think that the movie could have been better if it didn't focus on the Winklevoss subplot so much, yes. But I can't stop rewatching it, and every time I do I learn something new. :)

The Winklevoss subplot was to show Mark's motivators. The Winklevi were the thing he was trying to beat--clubs that wouldn't let him in. The very first scene shows how paranoid Mark is about his girlfriend liking Big Elite Rich Athlete Clubs. This pushes him to try to get both revenge on her and to win her back by showing he is better than those elite clubs.

There's several bits of the writing that show this. One is that, after he sees Erica at the bar and she says "Good luck with your video game". In the script, he has a hurt reaction shot, but the movie just makes him angrily storm off and tell Eduardo they need to expand--specifically to BU. Someone asks why BU, but he just moves onto a new topic...because he didn't want to say BU is where Erica goes.

Later on, when talking to Sean about Sean's motivating high school girlfriend, Mark asks if he ever thinks about the girl. Sean just looks incredulous and says no. But clearly Mark is...

All that leads up to the final shot of him trying to friend Erica, which plays into the movie's overarching theme of trying to win the girl back.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jaxword said:
The Winklevoss subplot was to show Mark's motivators. The Winklevi were the thing he was trying to beat--clubs that wouldn't let him in. The very first scene shows how paranoid Mark is about his girlfriend liking Big Elite Rich Athlete Clubs. This pushes him to try to get both revenge on her and to win her back by showing he is better than those elite clubs.

There's several bits of the writing that show this. One is that, after he sees Erica at the bar and she says "Good luck with your video game". In the script, he has a hurt reaction shot, but the movie just makes him angrily storm off and tell Eduardo they need to expand--specifically to BU. Someone asks why BU, but he just moves onto a new topic...because he didn't want to say BU is where Erica goes.

Later on, when talking to Sean about Sean's old high school girlfriend, Mark asks if he ever thinks about the girl. Sean just looks incredulous and says no. But clearly Mark is...

All that leads up to the final shot of him trying to friend Erica, which plays into the movie's overarching theme of trying to win the girl back.

True on all that. I just think the Winklevoss thing could have been downsized. Even in your explanation they don't seem to be that major of a plot point, certainly not worth dominating half the movie for.

VALIS

Saw it a couple hours ago. Revenge of the Nerd(s) for the 21st Century. It's a good movie and I love Fincher, the guy (usually) makes very focused, tense films without any fluff or melodrama. Sorkin's snarky, quick-witted dialog is a delight to listen to, even if it's unrealistic. Slightly puzzled with all the "movie of the year" talk, though. I'm writing some of that off to people's giddiness at having knowledge and experience with the film's subject matter in Facebook, which is not something we can often do in movies. I currently have it as my #4 of 2010, below True Grit and above Inception.

BobTheFork said:
I really just think the movie needed a likable character, just one.
The only person that doesn't come across like an a-hole was Ed and I wouldn't call him likable. It felt more like they just set him up as the object of pity in the movie. I found myself just hating the people involved, which I have realized at least says something good about the movie. I've been complaining lately that many of the movies I've been seeing just leave me dead, without ever being moved one way or the other. Now that I think about, this movie got more actual emotion out of me than any movie I've seen in a long time (mostly anger).
huh, now I feel like I should see it again.
I dunno about you, but Erica was pretty likeable, and certainly not an asshole.

clip

So in the beginning of the movie when Mark is blogging about Erica, his roommate is watching Shark Week. Isn't Shark Week usually in late July/early August? Yet this was supposed to be during the Fall semester?

What's up with that.

Also, the CG breath when it's cold outside looks pretty silly.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
clip said:
it really is horrendous. i expected them to touch it up some for the dvd release, but nope

bud

clip said:

they do that in a lot of movies. fincher also used it in fight club, which i saw again last night for the first time in years. it really does look horrible.

clip said:
So in the beginning of the movie when Mark is blogging about Erica, his roommate is watching Shark Week. Isn't Shark Week usually in late July/early August? Yet this was supposed to be during the Fall semester?

What's up with that.
What a weird thing to complain about.

jett

D-Member
CG breath? I've watched this movie like 4 times and I never noticed.

DarkWish said:
Agreed. I thought The Social Network had a good soundtrack, but Tron: Legacy's was fantastic.

It's the opposite for me. Reznor's work is on another level.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Supposedly Mark Zuckerberg is gonna make an appearance on tonight's SNL which is being hosted by Jesse Eisenberg.

Watched the movie yesterday. I liked it, a lot. Its really good when you think about all this characters and what they did wrong.

I didnt care about the music though, in fact, sometimes was too loud and fucked my listening of what characters where saying. Im with the people that feel that Daft Punk with Tron did it much better

Blader

richiek said:
Supposedly Mark Zuckerberg is gonna make an appearance on tonight's SNL which is being hosted by Jesse Eisenberg.

I watched the clip of it until about 10 seconds after Zuckerberg shows up. He's just way too fucking cringeworthy to watch. :lol

big ander

Blader5489 said:
I watched the clip of it until about 10 seconds after Zuckerberg shows up. He's just way too fucking cringeworthy to watch. :lol
He was so nerdy and awkward, which made it hilarious. Also, it's cool that he doesn't seem to have anything against Eisenberg at all. Which is logical.

Dax01 said:
I dunno about you, but Erica was pretty likeable, and certainly not an asshole.
eh, I don't count her because she was only in for a few minutes. Ed's not an A-hole either, but he's written to be likable IMO.

jaxword

big ander said:
He was so nerdy and awkward, which made it hilarious. Also, it's cool that he doesn't seem to have anything against Eisenberg at all. Which is logical.

Having 2 Billion dollars probably makes you pretty chill.

big ander

jaxword said:
Having 2 Billion dollars probably makes you pretty chill.
Yep, what I meant by logical. The guy is smart, so he definitely realizes that no matter how the public perceives him (which is actually relatively positively IMO) he has a buttload of cash.

jaxword

big ander said:
Yep, what I meant by logical. The guy is smart, so he definitely realizes that no matter how the public perceives him (which is actually relatively positively IMO) he has a buttload of cash.

The public, on the whole, tends to love and worship anyone rich.

Seriously. Can you think of any ridiculously rich person who is loathed by the majority?

kaskade

I'm going through with Fincher's commentary now. Movie is sooooooo good still. I can't wait to see TGWTDT.

Also, I found out today my moms friend cuts the real Sean Parker's hair.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
CG breath was OK, didn't notice it until my second/Fincher commentary viewing.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Treefrog said:
Saw it tonight. It was pretty good. Going to have to let it sit with me to see how I feel about it.

Listen to the soundtrack to really let the ideas set in, preferably while walking around a college campus.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Saw it today. Fantastic movie. The soundtrack was also really good. CG breath was annoying though.

big ander

I might be wrong, but I think the CG breath is something you don't notice until you're told it's CG. My first time seeing it, I didn't even remember breath. It just didn't stick out at all. Second time, I was looking for it.

big ander said:
I might be wrong, but I think the CG breath is something you don't notice until you're told it's CG. My first time seeing it, I didn't even remember breath. It just didn't stick out at all. Second time, I was looking for it.

it stuck out pretty badly the first time I saw it. Comparatively, I had no idea that Armie Hammer was both twins. I don't understand how Fincher did such a complex task so well and then made painfully obvious mistakes with the breath.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone have a GIF of Mark saying "Oops" to Eduardo?

Also, anyone know the "California" song Dustin plays after the guy wins the hacking shots contest?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
big ander said:
I don't know, it just looked really fake. I'm assuming some of the snow effects falling down were also fake as well. I have this annoying habit of looking out for bad CG. Like that one scene near the end of Zombieland where a bunch of zombies got hit by that one viking boat looking amusement park ride and comically fly out of the screen.

xbhaskarx

usea said:
I picked it up because everybody was saying it was awesome. It was so fucking boring. Nothing happened. Huge waste of money. I was so disappointed.

So you bought a movie without having seen it first? What were you expecting to happen in a movie about the creation of Facebook if you think "nothing happened"?

neoism

Wow just finally seen it.... So well done... David Fincher is the Man, on of my favorite directors....I think it should win BP....

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
big ander said:
eh i dunno, i saw it the week it opened in theatres and was just thinking 'man their breath doesnt look right at all', googled it and found out it was CG

Blader

big ander said:

I didn't notice it in theaters, but when I watched it again on bluray, the CG breath and CG snow were really obvious looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom