• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought there was a little too much of it to be real. Also it reminded me of the commentary on Fight Club where Fincher talks about using digital breath in one scene, so I thought there was a good chance he was using it again.

My school had a showing of this the other night. I still think the movie was made prematurely, but I thought it was pretty good anyway. I wasn't really expecting the ending to arrive when it did, but I guess it makes sense. I wouldn't have recognized Justin Timberlake if I hadn't already known it was him. Oh, also, it was funny seeing it at a college, because there were a lot of audience reactions you wouldn't get otherwise. For example, a lot of people laughed at the part where they were like, "ΑΕΠ, oh yeah, that's the Jewish fraternity."

oatmeal

Banned
I saw a preview screening of this and noticed the breath right away.

Maybe it's because I am from Canada, so I know how it actually looks...but it didn't look right.

MoFuzz

Everything about this movie was so great, the writing, acting, direction.

But then I noticed the CGI breath, which pretty much nullifies the entire movie.

I have snapped my Blu-Ray in half and burned it in a ceremonial fire as I could not bear to be in possession of a film with such distastefully done special effects even though the movie was more focused on social interaction, greed, friendship & betrayal.

There was a large amount of skepticism as to how a movie about the founding of Facebook could be done, and I'm sorry to say that those fears were completely justified as the digitally added breath fucking ruined everything.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
MoFuzz said:
Everything about this movie was so great, the writing, acting, direction.

But then I noticed the CGI breath, which pretty much nullifies the entire movie.

I have snapped my Blu-Ray in half and burned it in a ceremonial fire as I could not bear to be in possession of a film with such distastefully done special effects even though the movie was more focused on social interaction, greed, friendship & betrayal.

There was a large amount of skepticism as to how a movie about the founding of Facebook could be done, and I'm sorry to say that those fears were completely justified as the digitally added breath fucking ruined everything.
i could see it with Inception, but didn't realize The Social Network was at the level of pulling in sarcastic fanboy posts. noone said the movie was a piece of shit because of cg breath, all that's been said is the cg breath was a piece of shit. its a well made movie that went above and beyond in an attempt to recreate the setting, clothes, everything... and then they tack on awful cg. keep doin what you're doin though, i like it

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mr. Sam said:
You wait until Mark and Eduardo have an epic John Woo gun battle. Then you'll wish they'd have hung on a few years.

Problem is after the settlement Eduardo Saverin IRL dropped off the face of the earth. In fact he practically disappeared when the book was still being finished and couldn't act as a consultant anymore since he signed an NDA. So in that respect, the movie's plotline really couldn't have gone anywhere anyways.

MoFuzz

sefskillz said:
i could see it with Inception, but didn't realize The Social Network was at the level of pulling in sarcastic fanboy posts. noone said the movie was a piece of shit because of cg breath, all that's been said is the cg breath was a piece of shit. its a well made movie that went above and beyond in an attempt to recreate the setting, clothes, everything... and then they tack on awful cg. keep doin what you're doin though, i like it
You're entitled to think whatever the fuck you want about the movie, I certainly don't have any vested interest in it, financially or otherwise.

But, I willl say that from the moment this movie was announced, people have nitpicked on every last little thing about it. Some of the criticism makes sense to me, and some of it does not. However, now it has sunken to the point where folks are tearing apart an extremely inconsequential part of one shot in the entire movie which lasts a grand total of maybe two minutes. Yes, it's the internet and people bitch about everything, but at least previous criticisms were more noteworthy and well argued than "Ugh, worst CG breath ever."

Keep doin what you're doin with the fanboy accusations though. I like it.

I can be a dick too!

Blader

MoFuzz said:
You're entitled to think whatever the fuck you want about the movie, I certainly don't have any vested interest in it, financially or otherwise.

But, I willl say that from the moment this movie was announced, people have nitpicked on every last little thing about it. Some of the criticism makes sense to me, and some of it does not. However, now it has sunken to the point where folks are tearing apart an extremely inconsequential part of one shot in the entire movie which lasts a grand total of maybe two minutes. Yes, it's the internet and people bitch about everything, but at least previous criticisms were more noteworthy and well argued than "Ugh, worst CG breath ever."

Keep doin what you're doin with the fanboy accusations though. I like it.

I can be a dick too!

No one is using CG breath as a point about the quality of the film.

MoFuzz

Blader5489 said:
No one is using CG breath as a point about the quality of the film.
Yes, I realize that, but it's getting pretty tiring hearing every single minor, unimportant detail being dissected. Again, nitpicking. Bitching for the sake of bitching.

thumbsup1.jpg
movie, a lot!

It does what it suppose to do, and it does it very well!
If this doesn't win Best Picture at the Oscars this year, I'll be solely disappointed.

neoism

Mr. Sam said:
I think this movie'll pick up the Oscar - and Fincher will probably get best director. Deservedly so.

sad thang is he deserved it for BB...... smh He is one of the best directors ever.

oatmeal

Banned
MoFuzz said:
Yes, I realize that, but it's getting pretty tiring hearing every single minor, unimportant detail being dissected. Again, nitpicking. Bitching for the sake of bitching.
Stop crying. It was my favorite movie of the year, the discussion had drifted to people mentioning what is a small flaw in an otherwise amazing movie (IMO).

I just mentioned that I noticed is as well. I'm sure that's what most people did, say what they noticed.

How would YOU like this thread to go?

Mr. Sam

Drewsky said:
Yeah Zodiac is better than Benjamin Button by a long shot.

Agreed. My Fincher list probably goes:

1. Fight Club
2. The Social Network
3. Zodiac
4. Se7en
5. The Game
6. Alien 3
7. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
8. Panic Room

As far as I'm concerned, BB was little more than a soppy tech demo. The top four are pretty much interchangeable.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Mr. Sam said:
Agreed. My Fincher list probably goes:

1. Fight Club
2. The Social Network
3. Zodiac
4. Se7en
5. The Game
6. Alien 3
7. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
8. Panic Room

As far as I'm concerned, BB was little more than a soppy tech demo. The top four are pretty much interchangeable.

hell yeah, man. people underestimate ZODIAC's longevity. it sticks in your head. it's a very mature effort by fincher, i think.

beelzebozo said:
hell yeah, man. people underestimate ZODIAC's longevity. it sticks in your head. it's a very mature effort by fincher, i think.

These last couple of Posts have convinced me to go and see Zodiac ( I still haven't yet)

Anyway since this is a Social Network Thread, Just popped in here to say how amazing the soundtrack is for this film.

I used to be a NIN fan way back when I was in Highschool in the mid-late nineties, I pretty much moved away from NIN after Fragile...

But I do love this soundtrack a lot, it's just so easy to listen to, work to and drive to...so much win if you are an electronic music fan.

The second track 'In Motion" Such an energetic song to get pumped up to to whatever you are about to do !

bud

i saw zodiac again last night and i'm just baffled by the amount of cg that's in it. i knew they were using some green screen backdrops, but not that many. you wouldn't even know without having seen the extras. what an excellent movie. fincher's a master. and he knows his way with cg*

*breath effects not included in this assessment. see: fight club & social network.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Zodiac is Fincher's worthy film. Everything else is kinda... meh, though The Social Network at least has its moments.

madness. worthy? fight club, seven, the social network, and zodiac are all great. it's just that zodiac seems particularly restrained and impressive. social network seems like a natural evolution of that.

he's getting better and better.

Blader

I didn't like Seven all that much. The movie was fine, but the ending was so predictable, I think it soured my memories of the overall thing.

Mr. Sam

Blader5489 said:
I didn't like Seven all that much. The movie was fine, but the ending was so predictable, I think it soured my memories of the overall thing.
I can't believe, even if you guessed the twist, that you thought the ending was predictable.

beelzebozo said:
madness. worthy? fight club, seven, the social network, and zodiac are all great. it's just that zodiac seems particularly restrained and impressive. social network seems like a natural evolution of that.

he's getting better and better.

Fight Club and Seven both are pretty bad. Social Network is good, but not Zodiac good.

JGS

Banned
Said this in other threads, figured I'd post here.

Loved the movie although the soundtrack still has not moved me the way it has done others.

Zuckerberg should be thanking people for his portrayal as a genius oddball who sacrifices his wn life to ensure Facebook's continued existence regardless of money. The twins who hyoped it shold be suing for looking like idiots, & Eduardo should feel sufficiently redeemed (the true main character imo).

Timberlake's character stole the show, not because his acting was better, but because the mood and tone he set for shaping what Facebook is now. Very smooth guy who was good at manipulating people.

Seven's awesome. I appreciate it more now after a rewatch. Not a fan of "WHATS IN THE BOX MAN?!!" but everything leading up to that is grimy thriller greatness.

Will never really like Fight Club though.

1. Zodiac
2. Seven
3. Social Network
4. The Game
5. Panic Room
6. Fight Club
7. Benjamin Buttons

Discotheque said:
Seven's awesome. I appreciate it more now after a rewatch. Not a fan of "WHATS IN THE BOX MAN?!!" but everything leading up to that is grimy thriller greatness.

Will never really like Fight Club though.

1. Zodiac
2. Seven
3. Social Network
4. The Game
5. Panic Room
6. Fight Club
7. Benjamin Buttons

DERP DERP!

Panic Room over Fight Club. SMFH.

Seanspeed

Banned
Finally saw this yesterday. Fuck awesome movie. The acting, the dialogue, the atmosphere, everything just brilliant.

Am definitely gonna be buying this one.

eznark

Banned
Iceman said:
yeah.. what?
The story is fascinating on it's own, it doesn't need to get "Sorkined.". From the opening dialog I thought I would hate it but he either reigned himself in or had someone else write much of the dialog because instead of the entire movie feeling like Sportsnight (a good thing if you're watching sports night mind you) only key discussions felt Sorkined.

The whole movie felt too clever by half.

Saw the movie today. Some thoughts....

• Very good movie, especially considering the storyline is actually pretty meager. Not sure if it is "best of the year", but I might've been going in with certain expectations because of all the hype and praise.
  • Doesn't help that throughout the whole movie there's no character you root for or relate to. Zuckerberg is an absolute douche. That his douchiness is the result of his awkward social skills and OCD, or that he feels remorse screwing his friends over even though he's in the process of screwing his friends over, changing nothing about that. It's only towards the end of the movie that I start rooting for Eduardo and hope he sues the shit out of everyone involved.
  • The OST works well for the movie. As stand alone music, not so much. Not that it has to off course. Just an observation. The music also sounds more like it would fit an '80s / '90s technology related movie. Like the beginning of the internet with AOL and such. Facebook is from 2004, the music sounds far more dated than that.
  • Best part of the movie was the overal setting. The way Harvard college life is presented throughout the movie is really nice, and sets a certain mood that's really appealing.
  • I noticed the fake breath fog as well, and thought it was weird how they chose to do CGI for that instead of just filming in a cold place. I also think a pc screensaver in the dorm was CGI. It didn't look "right".

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Souldriver said:

• Very good movie, especially considering the storyline is actually pretty meager. Not sure if it is "best of the year", but I might've been going in with certain expectations because of all the hype and praise.
  • Doesn't help that throughout the whole movie there's no character you root for or relate to. Zuckerberg is an absolute douche. That his douchiness is the result of his awkward social skills and OCD, or that he feels remorse screwing his friends over even though he's in the process of screwing his friends over, changing nothing about that. It's only towards the end of the movie that I start rooting for Eduardo and hope he sues the shit out of everyone involved.
  • The OST works well for the movie. As stand alone music, not so much. Not that it has to off course. Just an observation. The music also sounds more like it would fit an '80s / '90s technology related movie. Like the beginning of the internet with AOL and such. Facebook is from 2004, the music sounds far more dated than that.
  • Best part of the movie was the overal setting. The way Harvard college life is presented throughout the movie is really nice, and sets a certain mood that's really appealing.
  • I noticed the fake breath fog as well, and thought it was weird how they chose to do CGI for that instead of just filming in a cold place. I also think a pc screensaver in the dorm was CGI. It didn't look "right".

I agree with almost everything you just wrote.

The only character worth caring about was Eduardo. Zuckerberg and Parker were complete assholes that you only hoped would have to pay through the nose by the end of the film. Although, given the final few scenes, I think that is exactly what Fincher and Sorkin were aiming for.

I thought it was a very good film, but not a great film.

Souldriver said:

I found myself rooting for Mark the entire time. I know a lot of people feel the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom