• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Solus Project (PC/XBONE) |OT| The Martian: The Game

SomTervo

Will respond to others soon

Game is -20% during Steam's summer sale, even cheaper in a bundle with The Ball when you own that one already (if not, get it). Bought too much already and need a kick before purchase, any more impressions especially from non-VR players? How long does one playthrough take?

Dev here

VR playthrough: 20-50 hours

Regular playthrough: 12-20 hours

Experienced playthrough (second, third time etc): 5-10 hours

Has a lot of secrets, a lot of optional story- and gameplay-focused collectibles etc, and a lot of gameplay modifiers so there's a lot to discover

gdt

Why is the VR play through longer?

Bought but haven't started yet.....will play it in VR on my Rift.

SomTervo

Why is the VR play through longer?

Bought but haven't started yet.....will play it in VR on my Rift.

People seem to love taking their time moving around :) takes a bit more thought to get used the gamespaces; the sense of risk is higher; there's a lot more sensory input so you tend to take more time to process it and go slower

I think the immersive thing really makes it a very different game

Tried this on the Rift.

I haven't played much of this yet but I really did the way that locomotion is handled in this game. Just point your head towards were you want to go and push forward on the left stick. That makes a lot of sense for me in a situation that doesn't allow for room scale. It didn't feel unnatural at all.

I am having some early control issues with making items do what I need them to do but other than that I really like what I have seen so far.

SomTervo

Tried this on the Rift.

I haven't played much of this yet but I really did the way that locomotion is handled in this game. Just point your head towards were you want to go and push forward on the left stick. That makes a lot of sense for me in a situation that doesn't allow for room scale. It didn't feel unnatural at all.

I am having some early control issues with making items do what I need them to do but other than that I really like what I have seen so far.

There'll be an update relatively soon (hopefully this week/early next week) to improve the inventory system :)

SomTervo

Not sure if anyone picked up on this:

The game is coming to Xbox One this Friday, 15 July.

Also a new VR update is inbound this week.

Zaptruder

Banned

Any updates to the locomotion system? Don't really want to go back to the game until superior headlook decoupled from direction of movement locomotion is enabled!

Wanna savour the immersion, which is heavily negatively impacted by that unfortunate design decision! :p

speedomodel

Picked this up a while back on Xbox, had fun for a hour or so. Will wait for Achievements to go live so I can really dive into it.

The game is so beautiful, I think. Love the world from what I've seen so far.

Hey mate, loving the game so far. Nearly at the end I think. Bit stuck though:

I am at the forbidden steps area and snagged the tower piece immediately in front of me. However, the map says there's another but I have searched the island like crazy and no luck. Where might I Find it? I've only got two pieces missing now. Thanks! ]

SomTervo

Hey everyone. The Solus Project team have been battering away at the game's VR implementation,and just pushed version 1.02 to Steam.

Patch notes:

MAJOR NOTES
  • VR Inventory and crafting menu added for Vive and Oculus
  • PDA now has interactive buttons using the Vive
  • Possible fix for crashes or freezes on certain AMD systems
General
  • Fix for Messiah achievement.
  • Possible fix for the freezing, performance or audio issues on AMD systems
  • Updated Spanish, Polish, Russian translations
  • Fixes to non-translating words in all languages
  • Change in explorer diary to try and fix the incorrect number of reported items found.
  • Rare bug fixed where the sky and weather speed would become 0 forever. If you had this problem reloading your game with this patch should fix it.

VR changes to previous settings
  • Option for Sep Head removed due to not working well. The functionality is still there however for those who do want to use it, and it will continue to work if you had it enabled before. Can be toggled via the game.ini file HMDSepHead=False
  • Instead of Sep Head is the new option Use Vive Controller Rotation. When using Vive teleportation movement, the teleport destination will take over the rotation of the left controller instead of the camera. This used to be default on and is now default disabled! If you use a Walking movement mode, enabling this option will let you steer your walking direction by pointing the left controller, instead of turning your head.
VR
  • VR inventory added! Works for Oculus and Vive. Using head aim for now but we are investigating replacing with right controller aim on Vive in the future. Inventory also allows much easier crafting.
  • When using the Vive, the PDA changes model into a new model with interactive buttons you can press using the right controller!
  • On Vive, the PDA now also displays the oxygen and toxicity levels.
  • Added new option to take over the left Vive controller rotation for movement.
  • In VR can no longer cheat the first level by entering the caves without the long range teleportation device
  • In VR fixed wrong ladder teleportation spot when re-entering Landing Caves coming from Highpoint Caves
  • When playing VR with the keyboard, remember that F12 is reset position and tracking
  • Swimming improved when using teleport movement. Can now aim at the top of the water surface to allow for traversing over the surface instead of always diving. Might contain a few issues or bugs still but mostly works.

The VR future and known VR issues
  • Investigating adding controlling menus with the right Vive controller instead of head aim.
  • Further swimming improvements when using Vive teleportation
  • VR loading screens still.
  • Oculus Touch controllers are being considered for implementation.
  • Additional VR optimizations from Nvidia for GF1070/1080 cards are being investigated and considered for implementation.
  • Higher default resolution, but since the game is heavy and since you can tweak this freely yourself we consider this lower priority at the moment.

My role is all but done on the game but thought I'd better represent here!

Hey mate, loving the game so far. Nearly at the end I think. Bit stuck though:

I am at the forbidden steps area and snagged the tower piece immediately in front of me. However, the map says there's another but I have searched the island like crazy and no luck. Where might I Find it? I've only got two pieces missing now. Thanks! ]

Hey - sorry I never responded to this!

It could be a bug which the guys have been trying to fix. I know there was at least one bug which warped a tower piece under ground. Hopefully the new update will fix it. Have a look.

Any updates to the locomotion system? Don't really want to go back to the game until superior headlook decoupled from direction of movement locomotion is enabled!

Wanna savour the immersion, which is heavily negatively impacted by that unfortunate design decision! :p

I know you're gone atm, Zap, but I'm pretty sure there's a setting for this in the game now.

How far do you have to go to get the teleport device?

Game looks amazing on Rift, but cant play for more than a few minutes without terrible motion sickness.

SomTervo

How far do you have to go to get the teleport device?

Game looks amazing on Rift, but cant play for more than a few minutes without terrible motion sickness.

Sorry I didn't see this until now, CI.

And sorry to hear about the motion sickness. The teleporter
is on the first beach, directly ahead of you from where you start after you chop through the object with a Sharp Stone.

You might have to do the tutorial stuff and perhaps take the first left to find the 'strange sound' and beacon, but after that an air drop should happen further along the beach and the teleporter will be right there.

FYI it's recommended to play the first 10-20 minutes of the game non-VR anyway just to get to grips with it. That's how long it will take to find the teleporter anyway.

Dalibor68

Banned
Started playing this now after buying it in the summer sale and loving it. Currently chapter 3. Love the mystery and survival aspects. Not sure about the secrets aka upgrades, they seem kinda unnecessary or rather there are too many with too little upgrade power each.

SomTervo

Thanks for the love, guys.

I agree re the small incremental 'upgrades' Dalibor, but the lead designer pointed out that when you get most/all of them it's actually a really big impact.

FYI a big VR (and small non-VR) patch went up last Sunday.

Non VR

Achievement for getting all secrets incorrectly triggered at 115 found, instead of 118.

VR

• VR now also features the explorer diary! Get an overview of all you've found within VR.
  • You can aim at menu items using the Vive controllers instead of using head aim. Oculus still uses head aim in menus.
  • PDA now has significant less lag and latency when you move it quickly. The items on the display now correctly follow. Small exceptions left and right might still be possible.
  • Inability to control the main menu or otherwise loss of input has presumably been fixed, or is at least less likely to occur.
  • You can now enable Temporal AA via a command or the config files. This may be more pleasant in VR, but it also makes text harder to read, and small bright things like stars blurry. In DefaultEngine.ini r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=1 equals the original FXAA, 0 means no AA, and 2 means Temporal AA. This can also be executed in the console at run time using this same command.
  • The VR ladder teleport spot in Highpoint Caves to Landing Caves now no longer loops you around.
  • You can now scale up the resolution scale all the way up to 200 in the VR menu.
  • In Landing the jet engine particle is less heavy in VR.
  • Bug where strafing would strafe in the wrong direction fixed.

Also a roadmap with info on future plans:

• VR loading screens - We spent a lot of time on this but keep hitting problems, especially on Vive. We haven't been able to make this work correctly yet so far, though the Oculus ones seem more promising so we might release an update with Oculus only loading screens first.
  • Oculus Touch - Still on our list.
  • Start game tutorial - Still a bit crude. It is on the list but it is not the most entertaining thing to re-build.
  • Haptic feedback - Currently not being used for the Vive controllers. Shouldn't be too hard to add.
  • Hands instead of Vive controllers - On the list, but we are not 100% sure that just having hands is the way to go, not least because the hands wouldn't be able to correctly hold most items. The current idea is to show a hand only when you hold no items, but to hide the hand/controller while an item is held, and instead replace it with a simple sphere or such. Feedback on this is welcome.
  • Anti Aliasing - This one is very challenging. We now added Resolution Scaling up to 200% as well as Temporal AA, and we might improve it further in the future by having TAA also automatically resharpen the screen to combat the inherit blurryness, but beyond that it will be hard to properly fix the AA issue. The only real option we have is to add SMAA, but that might not even work well.

Banned
Apparently this is releasing for the PS4 today (9/18)? This looks like No Man's Sky, but with more direction and fewer spaceships. What's the general consensus on this game? Surprised to see the OT only have two pages on it.

SomTervo

Apparently this is releasing for the PS4 today (9/18)? This looks like No Man's Sky, but with more direction and fewer spaceships. What's the general consensus on this game? Surprised to see the OT only have two pages on it.

No space travel or procedural generation.

It's a fully handcrafted wide-linear sci-fi adventure. Mix between Interstellar, The Martian and Unreal. You crash land on a potential colony planet and uncover secrets.

Gameplay focused almost totally on survival and exploration. Stay warm and hydrated, craft survival tools, manage your sleep, weather the dynamic weather, etc.

Edit: and yes i find the lack of GAF noise disturbing

Banned
No space travel or procedural generation.

It's a fully handcrafted wide-linear sci-fi adventure. Mix between Interstellar, The Martian and Unreal. You crash land on a potential colony planet and uncover secrets.

Gameplay focused almost totally on survival and exploration. Stay warm and hydrated, craft survival tools, manage your sleep, weather the dynamic weather, etc.

Edit: and yes i find the lack of GAF noise disturbing

Thanks for the info. I see that you were one of the devs on it. Is the game a finite experience? Meaning, once you've played through your story, is that it or can you wander and explore?

SomTervo

Thanks for the info. I see that you were one of the devs on it. Is the game a finite experience? Meaning, once you've played through your story, is that it or can you wander and explore?

No probs.

Interesting question. Not to spoil the structure of the game, but in a sense it's little bit like a metroidvania, where parts of the game world are unlocked as you progress and you zig zag back and forth across certain parts of the world. It's pretty obvious when you're about to finish the last objective, and at that point you're absolutely free to go and keep exploring. There are absolutely loads of secrets and collectibles (and most collectibles build the lore in important ways).

For a second i thought this was a new Souls project....

What is name of this disease?

Um, dyslexia?

Banned
No probs.

Interesting question. Not to spoil the structure of the game, but in a sense it's little bit like a metroidvania, where parts of the game world are unlocked as you progress and you zig zag back and forth across certain parts of the world. It's pretty obvious when you're about to finish the last objective, and at that point you're absolutely free to go and keep exploring. There are absolutely loads of secrets and collectibles (and most collectibles build the lore in important ways).

Um, dyslexia?

Thanks. Grabbed it yesterday, can't wait to dive in! Although the crappy weather of the last week or so has passed and now I'm looking at Sunny and 80s, so it'll probably be a little while.

Top Bottom