• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sopranos: The Many Saints of Newark (2021) - first trailer

DKehoe

Seems like it's perfectly timed with so many people (myself included) having done a Sopranos rewatch during lockdown.

The actress playing young Livia really reminds me of Carmella, which is pretty funny.

Edit: Also, I predict this won't be as focused on Tony as people expect.

Last edited:

tsumake

Mediocre trailer, and the director is utterly average. But it’s written by Chase. I’d like to think the film will have more depth than what the trailer shows.

Seems like it's perfectly timed with so many people (myself included) having done a Sopranos rewatch during lockdown.

The actress playing young Livia really reminds me of Carmella, which is pretty funny.

Edit: Also, I predict this won't be as focused on Tony as people expect.
exactly what i thought

especially in her voice

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Still haven't bothered watching the show at all. Maybe I'll get around to it.
james gandolfini GIF

lem0n

Curious how they're going to cast people like Paulie and Pussy. Day one since I'm a massive Sopranos nerd

Last time I watched Goodfellas I noticed Paulie, Big Pussy, Chrissy, Carmine, Larry Boy, Philly Leotardo Rabbi Schlomo as Morrie and I'm pretty sure there are more.

DKehoe

It’s a slow burn show but it pays off around season 3 or 4, I forget which.
By the end of season 1 they've seen the episode College among others. I love the show but if it's not grabbing someone by that point then maybe it's just not for them. Their loss.

bitbydeath

By the end of season 1 they've seen the episode College among others. I love the show but if it's not grabbing someone by that point then maybe it's just not for them. Their loss.
I like them more now because I know where they’re going and the characters more, but the first watch is slow and boring IMO.

Enjay

Banned
This movie's gonna be shit. and as seen from this thread the sopranos is now just another rick and morty.

Last edited:

tsumake

If you do, go into it with tempered expectations. It still has the trappings of a lot of old-style TV shows while expanding the horizon of what TV was capable of back then. Also, there's a lot more comedy than people let on.

Having rewatched the show, it’s surprising how well it does things better than contemporary television. It’s un-PC, frank and honest depiction of its characters and environment are still a step above binge-watch tv of today. The fact that it chose to do the opposite of jumping the shark and becoming an episodic, slice-of-life narrative is still unusual. Just look at the finale.

I remember people were complaining about “The Wire” because it had plots that “went no where” in comparison to “CSI”……

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Having rewatched the show, it’s surprising how well it does things better than contemporary television. It’s un-PC, frank and honest depiction of its characters and environment are still a step above binge-watch tv of today. The fact that it chose to do the opposite of jumping the shark and becoming an episodic, slice-of-life narrative is still unusual. Just look at the finale.

Yup. Sopranos is entirely consistent from beginning to end. Which is why Chase writing this makes me super excited.

Last edited:

Excess

The setting is during the Newark Riots. It is perfectly timed.

My great uncle was a cop in Newark during those times. Literally fucking shooting rifles from the rooftops. Ruined the city forever.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

I never finished The Sopranos. I think I got into Season 3 maybe and fell off. I fucking loved it, though. This makes me want to go back and start it over from the beginning. The new movie looks fantastic. One of the best trailers I’ve seen in god knows how long.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
the sopranos smoking GIF

I am excited. Maybe they make the film into a series or limited run series? Like a prequel
Tbh I couldn’t see the kid looking like Tony too much until the speaker part just that look. Shit that’s a young Tony.
also it’s his son in real life. I think his dad would be proud. Wow. I can’t wait to watch this.

Last edited:

DKehoe

the sopranos smoking GIF

I am excited. Maybe they make the film into a series or limited run series? Like a prequel
Tbh I couldn’t see the kid looking like Tony too much until the speaker part just that look. Shit that’s a young Tony.
also it’s his son in real life. I think his dad would be proud. Wow. I can’t wait to watch this.
His son had actually never watched The Sopranos and did so in preparation for the film.

Top Bottom