• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sordid History of Suda 51's "Kill The Past" saga

Well, since it's the only version in English, sure... but the PS2 is definitely the superior version. The art and music especially.

True, assumption made they couldn't read Japanese, but its also supremely less frustrating to play.

But, true on it looking and sounding like butt compared to the PS2 version.

LProtag

Start with Killer7. That's the best game in the series. FSR is just... not for everyone. It's special, but you'll spend 90% of the game walking.

I'm fine with games that are mostly just narrative focused. I'm a fan of VNs and of any sort of experimental narrative structure. I was an English major, and I'm an English teacher now, so I eat this stuff up.

cj_iwakura

I'm fine with games that are mostly just narrative focused. I'm a fan of VNs and of any sort of experimental narrative structure. I was an English major, and I'm an English teacher now, so I eat this stuff up.

Then you'll love FSR if you pay close attention. And you'll enjoy K7's throwbacks, too!

cj_iwakura

Forgot one very crucial bit of info about Tetsuguro Kusabi from The Silver Case.

Tetsuguro Kusabi
lifecutkusabi.JPG

He also appears at the very end of FSR, revealing that he has been there all along... masquerading as Peter Bocchwinkur.

tsc.gif

Quite possibly the coolest moment in the entire game.

And the last bit is straight out of TSC.

cj_iwakura

Some fun images from my current playthrough of TSC:

Damn it, Sumio, wake up!
quK1Ew1.jpg

Slacker.

At least his co-workers keep busy!

Ylqo2Vg.jpg

biLrqiB.jpg

Z4hHQzk.jpg

YNiFWxq.jpg

Clov

I miss classic Suda so much. Looking at those pictures really hammers it home that he probably won't make anything that interesting again. I really hope that I will get to play The Silver Case at some point soon.

cj_iwakura

Just picked up the only 'Suda' game I haven't played.

XLXydmh.jpg

So what the hell, I'll do a write-up on it too at some point.

It would be absolutely hilarious if it turns out to be a KTP game. Could be a great psychological horror about a deranged cheerleader.

Not holding my breath, though.

cj_iwakura

The end of Chapter 2 was very poignant.

As far as I can tell, the murder victim was a child, and you spend most of the case investigating the apartment where his friend lives.

xc4CgTr.jpg

5EYrfii.jpg

KpMzgOE.jpg

(Is that Stephen Charbonie from FSR!?)

ZMmq4wf.jpg

mribL1f.jpg

5pdtBxT.jpg

Parade is coming soon . .

kuskmlP.jpg

Er, should I talk about TSC here or in the TSC thread? Could go either way I guess.

Vik

Banned

No..no he meant it literally. You'll literally be holding forward for 10 straight minutes every chapters to walk from one point of the island to another one. And that (the tediousness) was done by design.

Because Suda51 is a big ass troll

cj_iwakura

Henceforth any grouped-together connections and writings will be in this thread(i.e. the forthcoming Killer7/NMH/KID write-up), while individual stuff will be in respective threads(FSR/TSC/etc.).

This is the last thing I'll say on Lollipop Chainsaw in this thread: it's easily the worst GHM game I've ever played. I'll see it through, though. Not awful, but easily the worst.

I dig the story and aesthetics, but the gameplay is pure janky mediocrity.

Eolz

Oh my god, I must have it.

tumblr_nossckhw2z1qfni9go1_540.png

The forthcoming Art of Grasshopper artbook covers The Silver Case.

Oh yeah, I have the book, it's really good.
The best part is that at the end, unlike the huge majority of japanese artbooks, all the tidbits about games are translated in english. Really nice.

edit: scans aren't allowed, but could probably give some details.

cj_iwakura

Oh yeah, I have the book, it's really good.
The best part is that at the end, unlike the huge majority of japanese artbooks, all the tidbits about games are translated in english. Really nice.

edit: scans aren't allowed, but could probably give some details.

How comprehensive is the TSC section? The sections in general?

Is FSR included? Is that the Japanese book, or is it being localized?

Lastly, how'd you get it?

Eolz

How comprehensive is the TSC section? The sections in general?

Is FSR included? Is that the Japanese book, or is it being localized?

Lastly, how'd you get it?

Japanese book, not localized and I don't think it will be: there's already a lot translated and there's a preface and postface from Suda 51 that are both in japanese and english. You can feel he wanted to do that for his international fanbase.
They advertised the Amazon JP link to buy it (ships internationally) but I bought it on CDJapan. Amazon JP's shipping is really expensive and only worth it if there's a good deal there or no stock elsewhere. It's probably available on other websites.

For the sections: every game apart from Shining Soul 1/2 is included (took a picture, think it's ok but put it as a link just in case), but some obviously aren't as in-depth as others.
Diabolical Pitch is just half of a page whereas Killer 7 has 28 pages of artwork and text for example.
FSR is 10 pages, but really good (character design, his thoughts on the game...).
The Silver Case is really great though: 24 pages printed on special paper at the end. He also repeats he would still like this game to be released overseas one day (he got a localization offer from a Spanish company) and that it's really important to him and grasshopper (first original title and their debut game).

A must-have and worth the price if you're a fan of Suda51, Grasshopper and their games. Just don't expect something dedicated to a single game, it's about the company and their games as a whole.

cj_iwakura

Japanese book, not localized and I don't think it will be: there's already a lot translated and there's a preface and postface from Suda 51 that are both in japanese and english. You can feel he wanted to do that for his international fanbase.
They advertised the Amazon JP link to buy it (ships internationally) but I bought it on CDJapan. Amazon JP's shipping is really expensive and only worth it if there's a good deal there or no stock elsewhere. It's probably available on other websites.

For the sections: every game apart from Shining Soul 1/2 is included (took a picture, think it's ok but put it as a link just in case), but some obviously aren't as in-depth as others.
Diabolical Pitch is just half of a page whereas Killer 7 has 28 pages of artwork and text for example.
FSR is 10 pages, but really good (character design, his thoughts on the game...).
The Silver Case is really great though: 24 pages printed on special paper at the end. He also repeats he would still like this game to be released overseas one day (he got a localization offer from a Spanish company) and that it's really important to him and grasshopper (first original title and their debut game).

A must-have and worth the price if you're a fan of Suda51, Grasshopper and their games. Just don't expect something dedicated to a single game, it's about the company and their games as a whole.

That's what I expected, and what I want to hear.

I'm ecstatic he still wants TSC localized. I hope he gets on it. 3DS, Suda. Digital. Hell, Vita. Whatever. Do it.

Nice, it even covers Michigan, Samurai Champloo, and Blood! Looks like a must-own.

I'm a big big fan of this type of cross series, expanded storytelling. Only games of Suda's under my belt are NMH and Shadows of the Damned but I've been inspired to look into the lore of the other games now.

Hmm...I wonder how Let It Die will fit into all this...

cj_iwakura

I'm a big big fan of this type of cross series, expanded storytelling. Only games of Suda's under my belt are NMH and Shadows of the Damned but I've been inspired to look into the lore of the other games now.

Hmm...I wonder how Let It Die will fit into all this...

Nothing has really fit into the mythos since Killer7 besides NMH 1 and maybe Killer Is Dead. I wouldn't expect jack from Let It Die.

Honestly shocked it's even in the book, but it looks insanely thorough. It even has Evangelion: Sound Impact!

cj_iwakura

FYI, with shipping, Amazon.jp is only $33. Not bad at all. Seems much faster than CDJ, too.

Eolz

FYI, with shipping, Amazon.jp is only $33. Not bad at all. Seems much faster than CDJ, too.

Nice. It probably depends on the size and number & items, as well as where you live (France when I did last time). Didn't try for this one, good deal indeed.

cj_iwakura

Nice. It probably depends on the size and number & items, as well as where you live (France when I did last time). Didn't try for this one, good deal indeed.

I'm in Florida, so maybe that helped. It says I should get it fast, too. I'll share thoughts once I get it.

I'm also going to try to clean up this article for some TSC/FSR coverage at HG101, so please understand/be excited/etc.

Probably not doing Syndrome yet, that entails, what, five games?

cj_iwakura

Got mine after three days. Crazy.

Going through it now. A little disappointed that Killer Is Dead isn't comprehensive(they left out the badass earlier concept art), and that Lily Bergamo is on the curb, but oh well. I'll share more thoughts after I read the rest.

Notably absent:
full.jpg

In, but edited:
full-1.jpg

Heh:
Suda 51 is directing Killer is Dead, but it's not a sequel to Killer 7. In this original title, you play as a prisoner who's been sentenced to die. Your goal is to kill your assassin.

The game promises to retain the essence of Killer 7 and No More Heroes. It also promises to be a sort of "Dark Side 007" in that it will feature a number of beautiful Bond Girl-like ladies.

Oh, what might have been.

How much are we allowed to share from the contents? Not like the classic art isn't widely available in the wild.

I think this warrants a thread all its own, if there's interest.

cj_iwakura

Oh god, WHYYYYYY.

I'm at the TSC section, which is gorgeous, but...

God I wish I had not read this.

This is an illustration from Parade, the third episode. During the original draft, Miyamoto's illustration cut schedule was packed, so I only asked him for all the cuts for the third episode.

When we ported Silver Case for the DS, Miyamoto took a break from the illustration that he was doing on Ward 25 at the time and started on all the cuts for this parade. In the end, we finished the port to the DS but weren't able to distribute it, so this illustration hasn't been distbruted either. Now I want to remake The Silver Case, not just port it.

DAMN IT ALL, SUDA.

It's actually cheaper to import the Japanese version from amazon.jp.

Astarte

Oh god dammit we were so close to TSC...
Does the Japanese copy of the artbook have English text too?

Any of these pre-Killer 7 games have a fan translation available?

Flower Sun and Rain has an official release and translation and Moonlight Syndrome is currently having a translation being done right here
Michigan Report from Hell also has an English release, but it's Europe only. (I don't think it really counts because he didn't direct it buuut it's still interesting).

i just learned i can't link for shit that was like five edits

I remember playing K7 as a young teen and not knowing wtf was happening but loving every second of it.
It put Suda on my map.
To this day ive played it several times and each time i feel that ive processed it a bit better.
This is like opening the floodgates though.

cj_iwakura

The text in the back is extremely fascinating. Suda(or whoever wrote it) is very candid about the developers he worked with. He says that EA was a very 'macho' company and made Shadows of the Damned go through five drafts to the point that he felt like he had done five different games.

Sheesh. They told him that in Hollywood, if it couldn't be told in the length of an elevator ride, they wouldn't use it, so he scrapped most of his ideas.

Damn EA.

cj_iwakura

Wow. His assorted thoughts on all those games are like a window to Suda's soul. Lots of fodder for discussion which more than warrants its own thread.

SephLuis

Great Thread. Really considering going after Moonlight Syndrome and TSC to play it. Haven't read any spoiler yet.

I also learned of Suda51 by playing Killer 7 and very few games managed to make such an impression on me. I tried to play FSR, but didn't played it for too long.

Really wish he does eventually come back to this mystery type of game soon.

Sakujou

Banned
Holy shit.... Would love to play all of those. I only played all games available in europe... Flower sun and rain is unplayable on the ds. The riddles make no sense and i dont know anyone who ever played this game despite there is no real clue what is going on in this game... You definitely need to play this in japanese since the original makes, i suppose, more sense.

Dascu

I kind of love Flower, Sun and Rain as a Summer holiday game and have replayed it several times during travels. It's like a sudoku or crossword puzzle book but with a wacky story and cool music.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't know how this thread has creeped past me so times. I wish Silver Case (and the Twilight Syndrome games beyond Moonlight) were translated, but alas.

I own most of Suda's catalog, but haven't played his older stuff in the hope I can play through the Kill The Past saga in order, actually.

I hope someone tackles these games for fan translation one day. I saw that CJ (the OP) was possibly doing it at one point [I've seen the last time the Moonlight Syndrome english translation blog was updated was back in Oct 2013...she got up to Chapter 5, nothing since], but seems to have abandoned it now, which is a shame.

Ah well, hopefully Suda follows through on releasing The Silver Case one day. He's made the promise enough times now. Maybe for their 20th Anniversary?

cj_iwakura

I hope someone tackles these games for fan translation one day. I saw that CJ (the OP) was possibly doing it at one point [I've seen the last time the Moonlight Syndrome english translation blog was updated was back in Oct 2013...she got up to Chapter 5, nothing since], but seems to have abandoned it now, which is a shame.

Ah well, hopefully Suda follows through on releasing The Silver Case one day. He's made the promise enough times now. Maybe for their 20th Anniversary?
Vermillion is still doing it, she updated a few weeks ago. She's also our translator.

cj_iwakura

mikelink

So I wanted to breathe a bit of new life into this older thread.

I had never really gotten the chance to play the Kill The Past games until recently, but with last year's steam release of TSC, my interest had been rekindled. I had touched Killer7 before played maybe the first two levels, but never owned it myself. Similarly, I did have NMH, but never finished it. With the recent PS4 release of TSC, I jumped at the opportunity to hop on this crazy train.

TSC was an absolute work of art. I've seriously never played anything like it, and bought a few copies for my friends because I was just so excited about it. The unique styles of writing in Transmitter and Placebo create an atmosphere of mystery, while keeping the player engaged with the characters surrounding that mystery. Seriously, this game has some of the best dialogue I've ever seen in a game. According to The Art of Grasshopper Manufacture, SUDA set out to make an adventure game that was like none that had ever been made before, and I'd say he knocked it out of the park. There's not a lot I can really say without getting into spoiler territory, but this is a very special game.

Once I had completed TSC, I was hungry for more, and hopped right on to Amazon to order FSR. This was a game I had a really hard time wrapping my head around, but by the end, all I felt was complete engagement. It continued the style of TSC's progression, where most of the game is focused on setting up the setting and exploring the characters and their unique place in the world. A lot of time and care is put into the careful crafting of their personalities. The main plot takes almost a backseat role for most of the game, but it all feels so natural you barely notice. The writing is SUDA all the way, and it very much did not disappoint.

Finally, I picked up Killer7 as soon as I could. I'm going to keep this one short because I'm planning on creating an informative Let's Play on it, but this game was the real payoff of the whole series for me. The tone was spot on, the characters are fantastic, all the scenes are so off-the-wall while managing to remain deathly serious when it needs to be. In short, this is basically the game I've wanted to make myself for my entire life.

So that's about all right there; I wanted to make this post in the hopes that, since most of these games are now easily available in the West, someone might see it and decide to give it a shot. Kill The Past is such an interesting and captivating series that really deserves to be enjoyed.

Top Bottom