• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silver Case |OT| Kill The Past

I finally finished The Silver Case and absolutely loved it. I looked at the Steamspy numbers on it and god damn its a shame its doing poorly sale wise. :/ Hopefully more people will play it when it comes to PS4.

I'm switching between the typing noise effect and the transition/grasshopper title tone as my text tone now. I need to go grab the Parade
direction voices
later. Those sound effects are the best.

cj_iwakura

I finally finished The Silver Case and absolutely loved it. I looked at the Steamspy numbers on it and god damn its a shame its doing poorly sale wise. :/ Hopefully more people will play it when it comes to PS4.

I'm switching between the typing noise effect and the transition/grasshopper title tone as my text tone now. I need to go grab the Parade
direction voices
later. Those sound effects are the best.

Enjoy Drive
TAKE ME HIGHER

silvercasehdremastersios5p.png

\( 'ω')/

cj_iwakura

So after finishing my replay of FSR(and boy did I appreciate the second half twice as much), I went looking through my Art of GHM book and found some interesting stuff.

Remember in Placebo 3 when Tokio talks to Sumio?

Cz4ygZ3UAAA2yPa.jpg

Yeah, I don't recall Tetsu being there either.

Full Tetsu art from FSR:

Cz4yKSpUoAA5y_9.jpg

Tokio and... someone? Is this woman in FSR? I don't recall her...

Cz4xqITUsAIO5y7.jpg

And Tokio as he appears in 25 Wards... hot damn, someone's been lifting.

Cz4xqITUoAAcHSd.jpg

cj_iwakura

Suda's planning a sequel apparently, and the new PS4 scenarios will tie into it:

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/20/suda51-future-silver-case

What can you tell us about these new scenarios?

Ooka-san wrote Placebo and he was able to write [Yami] chapter 6 to the Placebo side.

The other scenario is called Whiteout and this is a prologue or a preview for the next game in The Silver Case series. It’s not a full chapter, it’s a preview that you can play it in 10 minutes or so. Whiteout is how me and Mr. Ooka are building up the lore to create the next chapter it takes place between 2004 and 2009 [when The Silver Case 25 Wards is set].

Golnei

Suda's planning a sequel apparently, and the new PS4 scenarios will tie into it:

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/20/suda51-future-silver-case

That statement sounds like it was referring more to 25 Wards itself, but it does seem like he's considering the possibility of future original sidestories in the games' universe, which would be nice to see if these two (+ a new FSR port?) perform better on PS4 than TSC did on PC. The existence of the new scenarios feels like it makes a completely original game from Suda more of a tangible possibility, since he's actively creating new material in that style instead of just talking about vague inspiration.

cj_iwakura

That statement sounds like it was referring more to 25 Wards itself, but it does seem like he's considering the possibility of future original sidestories in the games' universe, which would be nice to see if these two (+ a new FSR port?) perform better on PS4 than TSC did on PC. The existence of the new scenarios feels like it makes a completely original game from Suda more of a tangible possibility, since he's actively creating new material in that style instead of just talking about vague inspiration.

I really hope 25 Wards happens. Even reactions here to TSC were tepid at best, and at some other boards I go to, I'm literally the only one who played it.

Also bears repeating:

watch these.

https://twitter.com/3_21stars/status/822911428885561344
https://twitter.com/3_21stars/status/822895248934256641

Deleted videos from TSC with more on the first murder.

I really hope 25 Wards happens. Even reactions here to TSC were tepid at best, and at some other boards I go to, I'm literally the only one who played it.

Also bears repeating:

watch these.

https://twitter.com/3_21stars/status/822911428885561344
https://twitter.com/3_21stars/status/822895248934256641

Deleted videos from TSC with more on the first murder.
The audience for a semi-obscure VN from 1999 was never going to be massive, I guess.
I hope that the PS4 release gives it a bigger spotlight.

Those FMVs weren't present in the PS1 version?

cj_iwakura

The audience for a semi-obscure VN from 1999 was never going to be massive, I guess.
I hope that the PS4 release gives it a bigger spotlight.

Those FMVs weren't present in the PS1 version?

Nope. I've beaten it. The PC version is pretty much the same exact game. They must have been cut from the game, whether deliberately or otherwise is up to conjecture.

cj_iwakura

What The Hell.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...itter.com&utm_campaign=buffer&PostPageIndex=2
Speaking of Sumio, The Silver Case, Flower Sun and Rain, and Killer is Dead all feature that character. Is he just an inside reference, like Cid in Final Fantasy, or is there a greater thematic significance to this?

He functions as an actor for me as in The Silver Case, Flower, Sun, and Rain, and also as Mondo Zappa from Killer7. It's as though all three parts were played by the same actor. That's so that's why their names are the same. Osamu Tezuka had a similar concept called the Star System, and the same characters appear in his various works, but in different roles. I'll bet that these characters functioned as actors for Tezuka and so he used them like this in various roles. Movie directors are the same, aren't they? They use actors they like in different roles. It's the same for me; characters that I like exist within me as people to be used in various roles. Plus, I want to see them from time to time! I create them as characters and so I must use them.

Also, on Syndrome:

Do you want to buy any of your other older titles and make them shine on current-gen machines? Twilight Syndrome, Killer7, Michigan: Report From Hell? Would you opt for straight-remasters, or full-on remakes?

As the need arises, I would love to make that happen, though the rights are held by other people. The rights for all three games you mentioned aren't held by Grasshopper. However, for Twilight Syndrome, I feel that it wouldn't easily by understood by foreign people even through a remaster or remake. For me, both Moonlight Syndrome and Twilight Syndrome weren't scenarios originally done by me, so I'm not too interested in revisiting them.

He functions as an actor for me as in The Silver Case, Flower, Sun, and Rain, and also as Mondo Zappa from Killer7. It’s as though all three parts were played by the same actor. That’s so that’s why their names are the same. Osamu Tezuka had a similar concept called the Star System, and the same characters appear in his various works, but in different roles. I’ll bet that these characters functioned as actors for Tezuka and so he used them like this in various roles. Movie directors are the same, aren’t they? They use actors they like in different roles. It’s the same for me; characters that I like exist within me as people to be used in various roles. Plus, I want to see them from time to time! I create them as characters and so I must use them.

Oh, so he's just like Kenji Eno's Laura from D, D2 and Enemy Zero? I wonder if this was always the case, or if he just decided this retroactively. :p

cj_iwakura

Anyone have any idea why GHM has gone scorched earth on Masafumi Takada? He's not credited in the OST or the credits of the game at all, aside from in the game's JP credits.

Anyone have any idea why GHM has gone scorched earth on Masafumi Takada? He's not credited in the OST or the credits of the game at all, aside from in the game's JP credits.

Something definitely happened there between Suda and Takada, if you watch any interviews about when people left Human Entertainment to form Grasshopper Manufacture with him he always leaves off Takada from the list of notable people he did it with. It's funny since Takada is obviously still friends with other former Human Entertainment guys which is why he works so frequently with Sandlot on EDF and Spike-Chunsoft on Danganronpa to this day, since the people who makes those series are also former Human Entertainment guys.

Really disappointing answers regarding Twilight Syndrome & Moonlight Syndrome from him, hope Spike-Chunsoft do it anyway (re-release the Syndrome games, that is, of which there are three that Suda made...the DS game and the PSX game that came after he left Human would be nice as well, but the least we can hope for is the original two Twilight Syndrome games, I guess) regardless of Suda's feelings on it.

cj_iwakura

Something definitely happened there between Suda and Takada, if you watch any interviews about when people left Human Entertainment to form Grasshopper Manufacture with him he always leaves off Takada from the list of notable people he did it with. It's funny since Takada is obviously still friends with other former Human Entertainment guys which is why he works so frequently with Sandlot on EDF and Spike-Chunsoft on Danganronpa to this day, since the people who makes those series are also former Human Entertainment guys.

Really disappointing answers regarding Twilight Syndrome & Moonlight Syndrome from him, hope Spike-Chunsoft do it anyway (re-release the Syndrome games, that is, of which there are three that Suda made...the DS game and the PSX game that came after he left Human would be nice as well, but the least we can hope for is the original two Twilight Syndrome games, I guess) regardless of Suda's feelings on it.

I don't really get the 'won't be easily understood' remarks. I've watched some of a playthrough of TS and Vermillion's translated around half of it. It's INCREDIBLY TWISTED, but apart from taking place in a Japanese school, nothing felt too obtuse. It just goes to some real dark places that only K7 comes close to. (By that I mean the executions in the racquetball court.)

Weird that Takada isn't considered important. TSC and FSR thrive on their music, as does K7.

I don't really get the 'won't be easily understood' remarks. I've watched some of a playthrough of TS and Vermillion's translated around half of it. It's INCREDIBLY TWISTED, but apart from taking place in a Japanese school, nothing felt too obtuse. It just goes to some real dark places that only K7 comes close to. (By that I mean the executions in the racquetball court.)

Weird that Takada isn't considered important. TSC and FSR thrive on their music, as does K7.

Just sounds like an excuse for Suda not to go through with the Syndrome games to me that he just made up on the spot. I mean, we are the fanbase that enjoy FS&R and Killer7 for crying out loud, not like we aren't used to weird storylines by now. :p

Yeah, if Suda does do an entirely new Kill The Past game, as in one starring Sumio set in the same universe as The Silver Case and Flower, Sun & Rain it will feel kinda wrong Takada not being involved with the music since he really elevates it so much. Yamaoka is a great composer but Takada's music has a distinct sound to it that suits Suda's directorial work so greatly. I've been hoping they make up and do another game together, but it's looking unlikely at this point. :(
At least the Danganronpa V3 soundtrack will be amazing and if Ward 25 happens we will have more unknown Takada music to listen to. Don't think I've ever seen any Ward 25 music on the interwebs aside from like one track on NicoNico. Really hard to find thanks to the platform it originally released on.

cj_iwakura

Just sounds like an excuse for Suda not to go through with the Syndrome games to me that he just made up on the spot. I mean, we are the fanbase that enjoy FS&R and Killer7 for crying out loud, not like we aren't used to weird storylines by now. :p

Yeah, if Suda does do an entirely new Kill The Past game, as in one starring Sumio set in the same universe as The Silver Case and Flower, Sun & Rain it will feel kinda wrong Takada not being involved with the music since he really elevates it so much. Yamaoka is a great composer but Takada's music has a distinct sound to it that suits Suda's directorial work so greatly. I've been hoping they make up and do another game together, but it's looking unlikely at this point. :(
At least the Danganronpa V3 soundtrack will be amazing and if Ward 25 happens we will have more unknown Takada music to listen to. Don't think I've ever seen any Ward 25 music on the interwebs aside from like one track on NicoNico. Really hard to find thanks to the platform it originally released on.

I have some here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5RpTY8zmnU

Mostly remixes. A few REALLY good ones, probably pulls from the Destructor albums and such.

I have some here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5RpTY8zmnU

Mostly remixes. A few REALLY good ones, probably pulls from the Destructor albums and such.

Thanks man, sounds great, as Takada's stuff always does (surprised by the FS&R music appearance). Has a really nice DS quality to them. I do wonder how they would remaster that soundtrack if they did get to remake the game and if all of the artwork would be redrawn or like the original would have the original assets still around.

Itsuki

I finished the game some months ago and I want to replay Flower, Sun and Rain after 8 years. I might pick up the DS version, is the Xseed translation good?
And I'm happy TSC got a remake. I remember getting tired of the slow movement speed on the PS1 version. It would be great if 25 wards gets a remake.

cj_iwakura

I finished the game some months ago and I want to replay Flower, Sun and Rain after 8 years. I might pick up the DS version, is the Xseed translation good?
And I'm happy TSC got a remake. I remember getting tired of the slow movement speed on the PS1 version. It would be great if 25 wards gets a remake.
It's a solid translation, yes. It misses some nuanced references to TSC, but it carries the story across very well.

Looking at the words and the first solution in 0:lunatics, I can see that it's letters shifted based on letter position, but how are you supposed to figure that out? The panel on the first floor is just pixelated garbage below "EXPLANATION."

...or is it supposed to be readable and something is up, like the texture isn't streaming in? I'm worried something like this will come up later and I'll be screwed.

[edit: Rather, I understand how to solve them- but pretend that you didn't know how to, and without that texture how are you intended to figure it out?]

RRockman

Banned
Looking at the words and the first solution in 0:lunatics, I can see that it's letters shifted based on letter position, but how are you supposed to figure that out? The panel on the first floor is just pixelated garbage below "EXPLANATION."

...or is it supposed to be readable and something is up, like the texture isn't streaming in? I'm worried something like this will come up later and I'll be screwed.

[edit: Rather, I understand how to solve them- but pretend that you didn't know how to, and without that texture how are you intended to figure it out?]

its not the texture, thats displaying as is.. I remember that Inomata shouts at you with directions if you keep interacting with the door on the second floor of cauliflower without opening it.

And Man, this game is freaky. I love it though, currently on Placebo report 1.

JPS Kai

You're supposed to treat it like a Caesar Cipher and
instead of just shifting the letter, you add a certain threshold to it as well.

I never would have thought that they would ever talk about
Super sentai
in Whiteout and completely surprised me.

Im still trudging through Flower, Sun, and Rain ever so slowly, but do they ever explain what
Catherine
is in it since it? appeared in Yami? Maybe I shouldn't have played Yami inbetween FSR.

cj_iwakura

I never would have thought that they would ever talk about
Super sentai
in Whiteout and completely surprised me.

Im still trudging through Flower, Sun, and Rain ever so slowly, but do they ever explain what
Catherine
is in it since it? appeared in Yami? Maybe I shouldn't have played Yami inbetween FSR.

No one really knows. And you're fine, Yami is a prequel to FSR. I think you get more enjoyment out of Yami having played FSR, really.

Tizoc

I just finished Parade
The fuck did I just experience?
Everything turns Black and White Noire
Then that ending sequence
Those ransom videos

Suda51 was on some good crack at the time.

Tizoc

I am working my way through LifeCut and I gotta ask
wtf is going on?
people are dying now
da fuck?

SilentRob

I find it really, really disappointing that the PS4 version suffers from slow down, when fast forwarding the text crawl for example. There really is absolutely no excuse for that in a game like this.

I really wish they port this game to Tablets or the Switch, because playing VNs on a TV or on my desk just feels "wrong". I loved 999 or VLR on 3DS and VITA and would love to get into The Sivler Case to. But I just kinda lost interest on the PC version because I can't play this one as often as I could on a Tablet on the go and after a few days I can't really remember anything from the batshit insane story.

Tizoc

The fuck is up with this Mulholland club, why can't I just speed walk through this place?
WTF IS GOING ON WHY IS EVERYTHING HAPPENING SO FAST IN ONE BLOODY CHAPTER?!
WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE FIRST 4 JUST TO GET ME TO LIKE THESE CHARACTERS?

edit:
OK so the government starts some kinda whack social experiment or some shit 20 years ago, just as a form of control of the populace and it uses it to keep the populace on its controlled leash or some shit

Top Bottom