• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Star Trek Beyond News & Production Thread: Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUELEN10

NeoGAF: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Malka. Its 333 day mission: to explore strange new leaks, to seek out new twitter tidbits and new production shots, to boldly go where no thread has gone before.

0toIDtz.png

F84zoTO.png

Well guys, it's finally happened; news and tidbits aren't a mere every few weeks/months deal anymore, and the 13th film (Called Star Trek Beyond) celebrating the franchise's 50 incredible years is less than a year away. Just think, we're getting new tidbits and news every couple of days now, and it's just gonna get more and more packed in the coming weeks and months. This thread will be where all the Star Trek Beyond news goes; included is rolling archive of what we've seen so far, so we can move Beyond (no pun intended) making a new thread for every new thing. With finalize cast confirmations finally coming out, more stage building in Vancouver, and now a casting call in Dubai, it's a damned fine time to be a Trekker. 50 glorious years, here's to a start of 50 more, starting with this 13th film.

Spoiler alert: This thread may contain news and items that some could consider spoilers, so please keep this in mind. No obvious major spoiler pics will be in the OP should they come up, but will be Availible in their post which can be accessed through the archive.

fg1u4Gd.png

Here you'll find links to prior Star Trek Beyond threads and post, from oldest to newest. Current news is expanded and on top of list.
OFFICIAL Trailer Released!

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!

0toIDtz.png

k5d4QJB.png

HOPEFULLY coming soon. For now, let's dance!

0toIDtz.png

Lu9R15e.png

Trailer 1: 12/14/15
tumblr_nbpemddK7q1rciu2ro2_500.gif

Star Trek Beyond aka Star Trek XIII aka Star Trek: The 50th Anniversary Motion Picture aka The Next Star Trek hits theaters 07/22/16!

HUELEN10

PXpBSum.jpg

Becker&mayer have a revealed a listing of a new edition of the famed thick book. Now, after over a decade of no new edition, it's coming back (according to Trek Today as a 2-book hardcover set!) with not only Star Trek Enterprise entires, but with content from the current series as well, and since it's slated for late 2016 for the 50th, it's bound to include stuff from XIII as well. I for one am hyped, I have the most current and second most current versions of this book, and it's awesome. It will retail for 99.99 USD.

Joe's a really good martial artist. Not a bad actor either.

He'll probably be playing a main henchman for Idris Elba's character and get into a fight with Spock after beating the piss out of 5 redshirts.

HUELEN10

Joe's a really good martial artist. Not a bad actor.

He'll probably be playing a main henchman for Idris Elba's character and get into a fight with Spock.
I don't know how I'd feel about that seeing as we already had Spock Vs Khan, wouldn't it be too similar? You know what I mean, right?
Did a mod make you stop making individual threads and just put it all into one thing
No, but after 2 threads in almost one day, I realized that the time for a single thread has finally come due to the proper pacing of info coming out; just made sense. Also keeps everything in one place.

In all honesty, I think I can safely say I am a huge fan of the current Star Trek series.

I don't know how I'd feel about that seeing as we already had Spock Vs Khan, wouldn't it be too similar? You know what I mean, right?
I'm just extrapolating. I could be wrong.
He could be fighting Sulu.

But I presume Lin hired him (again) because he's a great martial artist and they'll want to show that off in some way.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Star Trek 2009 was fantastic, my favorite Star Trek movie tied with First Contact.

Into Darkness was just horrible though even with the same director, so the odds of Beyond turning out great are 50/50. Cautiously excited for this one.

HUELEN10

I work in vfx and I'll be on set next month. Can't share any details but I'm pretty excited by what I have seen.
If what you are saying is true, I respect the secrecy. That being said, should you have any sway, which the chances are slim... Tell someone other Federation ships should have at least enough seconds of screen time to see those awesome designs in all their glory!
If you choose to take any of my suggestions from the prior thread
Woooo!!! I can't wait I'm new to Star Trek but I'm loving it.
If you choose to take any of my suggestions at all, make sure you read Countdown and the immediately watch XI; you'll be glad you did. Yes, even with being new to trek, it would benefit the experience.

MisterHero

nice thread and all but it's all for nothing if the shatner doesn't have a starring role

like he comes to this universe to take spock prime's katra back to the prime universe

50-60 minutes should be dedicated to that plot point or something like that

Goo

nice thread and all but it's all for nothing if the shatner doesn't have a starring role

like he comes to this universe to take spock prime's katra back to the prime universe

The rest of the 60 minutes will be Picard mind melding with prime Kirk to extract the katra using Vulcan techniques he learned from Sarek.

I feel like I shouldn't be able to interpret this gibberish...but I totally can. Not on board. Shatner should not be in this.

HUELEN10

Some people insist on 3, those people probably lived under around when it came out in the 80s. It most likely will be called Beyond, but it is officially being referred to by staff as "The Next Star Trek" which makes sense, and Pegg has publically called it Star Trek XIII, because... Well, it is! So yeah, call it The Next Star Trek, call it Star Trek XIII, hell, call it Star Trek Beyond if you wish; all of those are right. Calling it 3 means you're either trolling, or in denial.

That being said, I hate that People compare XII to II just because of some charactrs; stories were totally different.

Back to the name, I wish they would just call it Some Kind Of Star Trek...

HUELEN10

The Spaced star also spoke a little about Star Trek 3 in which he reprises his role as Scotty but this time around is also writing the script.
‘You watch the movie and hear that voice and it makes you happy,’ Simon explained. ‘His spirit is still here in the movie.’
Simon admitted that ‘there is a lot of pressure’ to finish the screenplay and that they’ll ‘be writing it right up until the edit’, but his character won’t be getting as much screen time as the previous two movies. Simon Pegg says he will have 'less of a role' in Star Trek 3
‘I’m going to be on set all the time because I’m the writer so I think I should have less,’ Pegg said.
That is an excerpt from a Metro article. What do you think? I mean, when anemic was writing, did Spock take a back seat?

MMarston

Back to the name, I wish they would just call it Some Kind Of Star Trek...
How the hell did I forget this?

That is an excerpt from a Metro article. What do you think? I mean, when anemic was writing, did Spock take a back seat?
I personally don't mind actually - he's had a lot of shining moments in the previous two movies. Though, hopefully he has at least one really memorable moment in this one.

Who I'm really concerned for is Chekov, who got downgraded to "verging on extra" in the previous film.

That is an excerpt from a Metro article. What do you think? I mean, when Nimoy was writing, did Spock take a back seat?

Well when he directed Search for Spock, he definitely played a smaller role. Of course, the whole point of the films existence sorta mandated that be the case. But in IV (which I don't think he wrote that much of, he definitely put a big premium on the film being more of an ensemble than the previous three had been.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pegg was just trying to avoid any sort of criticism that would sound like "Well of course Scotty has all the best lines, Pegg wrote the movie." "Well, of course Scotty played a key part in such and such scene, Pegg's the guy who wrote it that way."

HUELEN10

How the hell did I forget this?

Who I'm really concerned for is Chekov, who got downgraded to "verging on extra" in the previous film.

Aye, we need more Chekov! As an IDW fan, it would be nice to see something with him and Sulu onscreen.

HUELEN10

At the very least, it can't be the Enterprise's main bridge because there would be a curved downwards slope. If it is not the Enterprise, the question now is what class of ship it is.

HUELEN10

Guys, I know this might sound crazy, and I am not saying it's a definite by any means, but I believe that this crashed ship, should it be pre-crashed already, is none other than THE Kobayashi Maru.

Picture uploads aren't working, but it seems like a fit. Trying to re-up now...

HUELEN10

bWVE2tQ.jpg

U1zUlpG.jpg

Now, Spock said the point of the simulation was to instill fear in the face of certain death, he never said the ship itself was made up for the purposes of the simulation, nor did he say that the simulation wasn't based on an actual scenario. Non-canon works have in the past stated that the Maru was an actual ship. What does this mean? Since it has never been outright stated, it's entirely possible that the Maru did in fact exist. If a scenario with it were similar to the simulation, perhaps the Maru was thought to be destroyed by the Klingons, but instead was badly damaged and crash landed, with some surviving the impact.

Could you image if this was an Archons-like thing with the actual Maru? Simon Pegg did say that he used TOS to guide him for this film after all, and if we are to truly go beyond, what better setup than a re-discovered relic on an unknown world?

Again, just saying this is one of many possibilities. That alone excites me!

If what you are saying is true, I respect the secrecy. That being said, should you have any sway, which the chances are slim... Tell someone other Federation ships should have at least enough seconds of screen time to see those awesome designs in all their glory!
If you choose to take any of my suggestions from the prior thread

If you choose to take any of my suggestions at all, make sure you read Countdown and the immediately watch XI; you'll be glad you did. Yes, even with being new to trek, it would benefit the experience.

Oh I am! I'm ordering all the books and I will watch XI again after reading countdown. I'm about to finish TNG and I need to pick the next series to watch, suggestions?

MMarston

Though those are some sharp observations there, I think you're stretching it a bit. More likely, the aesthetic similarities are almost purely coincidental. Also, that's a lot of thought-work going into a crash in a reboot series that's been self-admitted to be more inclined with entertaining than physics.

Then again, given this Pegg and Lin we're talking about who've both been fans of the series, I can see the possibility. It's just pretty slim IMO

Savitar

Maybe they can give us a good ST movie this time.

Hasn't been one since what...First Contact? And some dislike that.

Hamlet

A set visit video was put up by Screencrush, but has been taken down by Paramount.

http://screencrush.com/star-trek-beyond-exclusive-set-photos/

Anyone have a mirror for the video?
Interesting.

Is Giacchino on board? His current output is kinda ok, but his work on ST is fucking godtier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfP6o-61e2s

Yep he's on it https://twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/620066100689047552
Love his Star Trek scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom