• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The start of Bloodborne and how it's freaking awful

Maddrical

Is this a DLC weapon? Don't remember ever seeing it on my playthroughs.

Sure is. Fantastic weapon, probably my favourite from the DLC. Ended up using it as my alternative to LHB. Ludwig's for large enemies/bosses, beast cutter for smaller/quicker enemies. Made the chalice dungeons pretty easy generally speaking.

rtcn63

We have different opinions, that's fine. I don't think it's great, you do. There is a huge difference between punch out and fight night. One requires pattern recognition and the other doesn't.

Blowing through the game because you know the patterns is not fun fun for me.

One of the biggest complaints I see about the series is that once you know how to fight a boss, it becomes more or less a war of patience.

Which is fair. As in, if the AI could just read your button prompts and react immediately or just behave in ways that go against what the player and most enemies are capable of (I recall people saying how in DS2, invader NPC's could actually dodge mid-air... which you can't), it would be questionable whether the game is being fair. Generally, the bosses in Souls (except maybe DS2) aren't 2D arcade fighter bosses.

Souls is about learning and executing. That's really it. If later games in the series do somehow pull off more complex AI (like they're able to compensate for different player attack types- sword and board, two-hand, caster, defensive vs. offensive, etc.) that admittedly would be cool.

Maddrical

If later games in the series do somehow pull off more complex AI (like they're able to compensate for different player attack types- sword and board, two-hand, caster, defensive vs. offensive, etc.) that admittedly would be cool.

This sounds scary but also pretty cool. Just a 'simple' adjustment that reads your equipped weapon/s and adjusts its moves accordingly, I'd be down with that.

Fume Knight having a random-ish slight delay in his attacks really fucked me over during that fight, something so small made things so complicated for me. Though I also think playing a 2H build with zero extra points in ADP didn't help.

DD-11

One of the biggest complaints I see about the series is that once you know how to fight a boss, it becomes more or less a war of patience.

Which is fair. As in, if the AI could just read your button prompts and react immediately or just behave in ways that go against what the player and most enemies are capable of (I recall people saying how in DS2, invader NPC's could actually dodge mid-air... which you can't), it would be questionable whether the game is being fair. Generally, the bosses in Souls (except maybe DS2) aren't 2D arcade fighter bosses.

Souls is about learning and executing. That's really it. If later games in the series do somehow pull off more complex AI (like they're able to compensate for different player attack types- sword and board, two-hand, caster, defensive vs. offensive, etc.) that admittedly would be cool.

That would bring me back in for sure.

GHG

Gold Member
As mentioned, there is the Beast Cutter. I like it a lot. It is not a starter weapon though.
tumblr_o5a3fya6m41sljcbwo1_r1_540.gif
It feels nice and weighty.

I should go back to playing this game. The weapons are next level.

Yeah, I never played much of the DLC. I really should get back to it. I ran out of steam in the Chalice Dungeons but I would like to revisit the DLC.

DLC is fucking stellar, you definitely should. Tough as nails though but rounds out the base game like I've rarely seen for DLC content.

Yeah, I never played much of the DLC. I really should get back to it. I ran out of steam in the Chalice Dungeons but I would like to revisit the DLC.

The DLC is a fucking masterpiece, even better than the main game in my opinion. Incredible story, characters, atmosphere, level design, boss design and art style.

Watch this trailer if you haven't already, the music and editing is top tier.

Holy shit the DLC is good, I bought it twice on my two copies of the game (one Taiwanese one Japanese version.) HOLY SHIT It is good.

The DLC is a fucking masterpiece, even better than the main game in my opinion. Incredible story, characters, atmosphere, level design, boss design and art style.

Watch this trailer if you haven't already, the music and editing is top tier.

Holy shit the DLC is good, I bought it twice on my two copies of the game (one Taiwanese one Japanese version.) HOLY SHIT It is good.

How do I access the DLC area? And when's the right time to tackle it?

The last time I played Bloodborne, I've just reached the point where
the moon turned red.

Pretty much every action oriented game is about learning and executing. Zelda bosses are, Platinum bosses are, Housemarque bosses are; it seems a bit weird to single out the Soulsborne games. The whole idea is that it's tough at first but by learning and perseverance you can overcome.

How many action games have AI bosses that adapt to players? I can't think of a single one.

the moon turned red.

Without looking it up again, I'm pretty sure you receive an item in the Hunter's Dream whose description alludes to what you need to do.

I think you're in a good spot to dive in, but prepare to get your ass kicked. DLC can be brutal and the first boss might be the biggest asshole in all of Souls-dom.

Pretty much every action oriented game is about learning and executing. Zelda bosses are, Platinum bosses are, Housemarque bosses are; it seems a bit weird to single out the Soulsborne games. The whole idea is that it's tough at first but by learning and perseverance you can overcome.

How many action games have AI bosses that adapt to players? I can't think of a single one.

Was wondering the same thing, it seems like a really bizarre complaint when that's how video games in general work.

the moon turned red.

I recommend NOT enter the DLC before you reach level 75 (plus-minus 10 depends on your skill level). It is also better that your main weapon is at least +6 or beyond.

As for how to access it, first you will pick up an item called ''Eye of a Blood-drunk Hunter'' at the stairs in Hunter's Dream, this item will only appear after you beat Amelia and touched the skull on the altar in the Grand Cathedral. Once you got the item then select ''Cathedral Ward'' lamp and travel there from Hunter's Dream, once you get there turn left and head outside.

Go to the corpse near a tree (you most likely picked up a set of attire from that corpse at one point), a lesser Amygdala (big spider monster on the wall) will pick you up and boom, cutscene.

My English isn't very good, this is the best I can do, hope you understand what I am saying. Sorry.

While it's not bosses, Demon's Souls has the Old Monk boss, which is a summoned player. That boss definitely adapts to the player.

Kinda cheating though...considering it's just PVP.

Yeah, that's the thing. If you want that kind of experience, the game has PvP as an option.

the moon turned red.

You access it from
After beating Amelia, you go through the door on the left of Oedon Chapel. When you're outside,
there's a tree and some tombstones on your right. Stand by those, and wait. To get back to the DLC when your return to Hunter's Dream, the tombstone to return to the DLC areas is up on the hill near the insight shop.

The best time to tackle it is just before you fight the last boss, as the DLC is noticeably harder than the rest of the game, and I'd recommend being around level 100+ to beat it.

It should be easy to tell when you're at the last boss, but if it's not, once you reach and beat the boss with the initials
M W N
, don't carry on with the obvious story path.

Right, thanks for the insights guys.

Maybe I'll go back to Bloodborne after I'm done with DSIII. It seems that I'm close to the ending.

Maybe I'll go back to Bloodborne after I'm done with DSIII. It seems that I'm close to the ending.

If you left it as soon as
the non turned red
, then good luck and have fun, because that's probably the roughest area of the main game, so jumping back in there is probably going to sting.

laxu

I beat the Cleric Beast! I summoned father Gascoine once but after the werewolf and giant/crow fights he had like 1 hp left and died in one hit to the beast lol. Why wouldn't he follow me when I was running through the stuff...Overly agressive idiot.

Beat it on my own the next try. I'm still not sure whether it wouldve been better to lock on or off. Feels like the invincibility frames combined with the speed of the dodge for locked on dodges are better but then the camera goes nuts.

Rolling and manual camera control is generally better for most of the huge bosses as locking on can make it hard to see what is happening. Depends on the enemy whether rolling or quickstep dodges are better.

laxu

the moon turned red.

The right time is as soon as possible, but only for suicide runs to get DLC weapons, some Blood Stone Chunks etc. The DLC wepoans are all really fun to use in the main game. At low level nearly all of the DLC enemies are all hard as nails and the route to the first boss is pretty rough too.

I would recommend playing the DLC proper when you have almost completed the main game, probably somewhere around the time you hit Nightmare of Mensis.

I beat the Cleric Beast! I summoned father Gascoine once but after the werewolf and giant/crow fights he had like 1 hp left and died in one hit to the beast lol. Why wouldn't he follow me when I was running through the stuff...Overly agressive idiot.

Beat it on my own the next try. I'm still not sure whether it wouldve been better to lock on or off. Feels like the invincibility frames combined with the speed of the dodge for locked on dodges are better but then the camera goes nuts. Anyway, finally! Let's hope I can manage The actual father everyone brings up somehow.

And yeah, apart from the first part the level design is on par with DS, I'm a happy camper now.

I was stoned pretty much everytime I played DS, maybe that helped lol. And thanks!

Oh, congrats!

MTC100

Banned
Slowly starting to get the hang of it, killed the first four bosses(I think the witch was optional though) and visited the forbidden city after dying to that scumbag close to the cathedral, by the way, how OP are they? They almost kill me with one hit and when they enrage they really do kill me with one hit lol...

On the bright side: I've lost 35k EXP by not reaching the point I died, because a stupid witch with her spear ran into me and threw me off a cliff, I have to say that was a not so great bloodborne moment...

And yeah, listen to the other posters over my suggestion actually, they're right. I did jump in around the red moon spot, but ended up nope-ing the fuck out to up myself another 10 levels or so up to 90 I believe after realizing how brutal it is.

By the way, if you didn't invest that much in your health bar, now's the time. It was the difference for me between getting almost OHKO'd by the first boss' every damn attack and well, not.

If you left it as soon as
the non turned red
, then good luck and have fun, because that's probably the roughest area of the main game, so jumping back in there is probably going to sting.

And yeah, listen to the other posters over my suggestion actually, they're right. I did jump in around the red moon spot, but ended up nope-ing the fuck out to up myself another 10 levels or so up to 90 I believe after realizing how brutal it is.

By the way, if you didn't invest that much in your health bar, now's the time. It was the difference for me between getting almost OHKO'd by the first boss' every damn attack and well, not.

Wait, are you saying that I should just restart from the beginning?

Well, maybe it's a good option as I messed up a couple of NPC quests and I didn't really like my dex build that much.

Slowly starting to get the hang of it, killed the first four bosses(I think the witch was optional though) and visited the forbidden city after dying to that scumbag close to the cathedral, by the way, how OP are they? They almost kill me with one hit and when they enrage they really do kill me with one hit lol...

On the bright side: I've lost 35k EXP by not reaching the point I died, because a stupid witch with her spear ran into me and threw me off a cliff, I have to say that was a not so great bloodborne moment...

The witch boss is good because running from the lantern there and back to the lantern near the bonfires back at the start of that area is probably the best spot for grinding until fairly later on in the game, as you get around 18,000 echoes per run, and a load of blood vials too.

Well, maybe it's a good option as I messed up a couple of NPC quests and I didn't really like my dex build that much.

No no no, don't start over. I'm just saying, you probably picked the worst place to stop playing lol.
Not counting the DLC, I'd say you're around 3/4s of the way through now. You're definitely in the last half of the game, and aside from the DLC, I got everything from that point done in a weekend.

Beat it on my own the next try. I'm still not sure whether it wouldve been better to lock on or off. Feels like the invincibility frames combined with the speed of the dodge for locked on dodges are better but then the camera goes nuts. Anyway, finally! Let's hope I can manage The actual father everyone brings up somehow.

Good job man! That's great to hear!

Summoning people (not sure about NPCs) actually give bosses a roughly 25-30% HP increase, just like in Dark Souls, so the Cleric Beast you killed probably had more health than usual. There's a reason why people said ''summoning is harder'', cause the NPC can die very early and left you fighting a boss with more health.

Also, you will see about ''overly agressive'' once you meet Gascoine. Have fun.

Nope, I meant listen to the other posters saying to wait until you're like level 90/100 and a bit further than where you're at instead of diving in and getting slammed against the wall repeatedly...especially if you're currently rusty you'll get hammered.

And yeah, apart from the first part the level design is on par with DS, I'm a happy camper now.

Good deal, it's all about practicing and getting used to the changes after being so conditioned by Souls combat. Honestly, Cleric Beast has one of the shittiest cameras boss fight wise, so if you can deal with that and juggle locking on and off depending on what the situation calls for, I think you're good to go.

After you beat Father G, go back to the first lantern and plow your way through the opening again with your new-found skills to see how much the game actually constantly challenges your skills.

Bladelaw

I know we're a bit past the premise of the thread but I agree with the OP. Bloodborne's opening is rough as hell. The level design and encounter design is fine and all there to teach you valuable skills like running, parrying (that lone executioner in the back), and pulling enemies. That's great, but keeping you from leveling for as long as it does (on a blind first playthrough) is where I'll throw my lot in with the OP. In Dark Souls you level right after the comparatively easy Asylum, DS3 forces you to confront a boss but keeps a bonfire close enough that you can bang your head against it as much as you want with little downtime between attempts. Bloodborne requires you to escape the clinic, open the path to the first lantern, dodge the mob from hell, then either sneak around and get the Madman's Insight or navigate around the two giant werewolves, a pack of crows, and one of those giants that bash you with a rock to get to the first boss. Then, finally...you can level up.

The game is my favorite in the series (and man would I love a PC port running at 60 FPS) and it's almost entirely on the back of its combat but the opening is a giant fuck you to anyone without an exhaustive level of patience.

I've been meaning to get back to this since my blind playthrough missed a ton of stuff (including
Cainhurst castle
) and starting from scratch knowing what weapon I want makes the process a bit more manageable. I want either
Eileen's weapons or the Chikage
I managed to beat the game with the Threaded Cane so it'll be nice to try something bladed. Plus it'll give me an excuse to play the DLC.

I envy anyone going through bloodborne for the first time. I'll give my left testicle to be able to experience it again with new eyes.

The beginning is pretty hard and there's no tutorial or hand holding but it makes the journey so much more amazing when you overcome it and make it through the rest of the game.

It's my favourite game of all time, a true magnum opus from Miyazaki and FromSoftware

Thebonehead

Banned
Your supposed to run past that area. It's designed to teach you that sometimes you just need to sneak past.

ENB apparently played a private demo in front of miyazaki and he methodically killed every enemy in that area first try. And Miyazaki was very disappointed.

Oh ffs i played it all wrong.

All that frustration! The Ds4 almost ended embedded in my tv several times. I did get quite far in the end.

And to cap it all there was hidden armour on level 1!

I may go back and give it another shot.

How can you be good at Dark Souls, even boasting a NG+++ run but can't het through the initial section of Bloodborne? How can that be?

How can you be good at Dark Souls, even boasting a NG+++ run but can't het through the initial section of Bloodborne? How can that be?

I had beaten Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and done Dark Souls NG+ prior to Bloodborne and I spent the first two/three hours getting crushed.

I had never once played without a shield so I was shaky, nervous as fuck and playing the same as Souls with a shield until I realized that's just absolutely not the way to go about it. Once I got pissed off enough to get really aggressive, it clicked.

I believe it. Bloodborne at the beginning is a different beast compared to Dark Souls where by the end you are OP and set in a certain play style.

The first few hours was frustrating as hell for me since I went in blind and it took me around 5 hours before I even got to Father G

Wamb0wneD

Oh, congrats!

Thanks haha.

Good job man! That's great to hear!

Summoning people (not sure about NPCs) actually give bosses a roughly 25-30% HP increase, just like in Dark Souls, so the Cleric Beast you killed probably had more health than usual. There's a reason why people said ''summoning is harder'', cause the NPC can die very early and left you fighting a boss with more health.

Also, you will see about ''overly agressive'' once you meet Gascoine. Have fun.

Yeah i wasn't sure if they get health increased in BB as well. And yeah, not sure if I'm lookiing forward to fighting that guy or want to shit my pants already. xD

Good deal, it's all about practicing and getting used to the changes after being so conditioned by Souls combat. Honestly, Cleric Beast has one of the shittiest cameras boss fight wise, so if you can deal with that and juggle locking on and off depending on what the situation calls for, I think you're good to go.

After you beat Father G, go back to the first lantern and plow your way through the opening again with your new-found skills to see how much the game actually constantly challenges your skills.

Will do, that's a good idea. Might take a while to beat him but eh, that's part of the fun. And the DS combat conditioning is a thing for sure.

I know we're a bit past the premise of the thread but I agree with the OP. Bloodborne's opening is rough as hell. The level design and encounter design is fine and all there to teach you valuable skills like running, parrying (that lone executioner in the back), and pulling enemies. That's great, but keeping you from leveling for as long as it does (on a blind first playthrough) is where I'll throw my lot in with the OP. In Dark Souls you level right after the comparatively easy Asylum, DS3 forces you to confront a boss but keeps a bonfire close enough that you can bang your head against it as much as you want with little downtime between attempts. Bloodborne requires you to escape the clinic, open the path to the first lantern, dodge the mob from hell, then either sneak around and get the Madman's Insight or navigate around the two giant werewolves, a pack of crows, and one of those giants that bash you with a rock to get to the first boss. Then, finally...you can level up.

The game is my favorite in the series (and man would I love a PC port running at 60 FPS) and it's almost entirely on the back of its combat but the opening is a giant fuck you to anyone without an exhaustive level of patience.

I've been meaning to get back to this since my blind playthrough missed a ton of stuff (including
Cainhurst castle
) and starting from scratch knowing what weapon I want makes the process a bit more manageable. I want either
Eileen's weapons or the Chikage
I managed to beat the game with the Threaded Cane so it'll be nice to try something bladed. Plus it'll give me an excuse to play the DLC.
Yeah the game teaches you most of it's mechanics well enough through the starting area but not knowing where or what a madmans knowledge even is (Even if i found and used it, nothing tells me I can level up now) and then having to run past all that stuff to face a boss is just obtuse.

Especially because you also don't know you'll get a lantern and the ability to level up after you beat it. Anyone going in there blind and getting owned a few times might as well go somewhere else and still won't be able to level up. It's obtuse and needlessly punishing design.

By not having my precious Dark Hand, Iaito, Sunlight Spears and Pursuers with me. Kinda threw me off. :p And again, like written right above my answer towards you, BB's start just has a level to frustration to it design wise, particulary for first time players, that DS didn't have.
Also maybe the fact I was smoking weed all the time while playing helped me through stuff like first time buffed Ornstein frustration wise.

I believe it. Bloodborne at the beginning is a different beast compared to Dark Souls where by the end you are OP and set in a certain play style.

The first few hours was frustrating as hell for me since I went in blind and it took me around 5 hours before I even got to Father G

That's me, except I need even longer than you.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

I was stoned pretty much everytime I played DS, maybe that helped lol. And thanks!

Getting baked and playing BB is a treat within a treat. I like you, OP. Keep us posted.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
That's me, except I need even longer than you.

Bloodborne took me awhile to get started too.

But then Demon's Souls was pretty similar in that regard. I spent hours just dying on that first bridge. I eventually shelved it, and it only clicked when I came back to it several months later.

gogosox82

Sure, the primary weapon variety is better in BB. It's the best it's been in the series. I love the trick weapons.

But there's so much more to build variety than your primary weapon's moveset. Whether you pick the axe, whip or whatever-blade as your beginning weapon, it doesn't change the fact that you're mostly going to be approaching enemies carefully, hitting them a couple of times when you get close then dodging away. Aside from the rare situation here and there, what weapon I'm using has practically no effect on how I approach these combat situations. I get close and I hit them in the face.

If I were to separate my usual Souls builds into 4 distinct categories, they'd be 1. nimble, shield-less melee fighter, 2. tanky melee fighter, 3. nimble, shield-less magic user and 4. tanky magic user. They aren't all equally fun to play as (2 is particularly boring), but they all feel distinct. The majority of the game's battles play out very differently when I'm a magic user compared to when I run around 2-handing a scimitar, not because I could approach the battles differently, but because I have to. They have completely different strengths and weaknesses.

In BB you're always the nimble, shield-less melee fighter. You can approach some (def not all!) situations differently according to what trick weapon you're wielding, but I feel like you never have to.

Of course this has positive implications too. The game is much better balanced, for one - whatever your weapon of choice, it's not going to be hard-mode weak or game-breaking strong compared to the others. But sometimes I miss the game-breakers. I miss pre-patch DkS2 magic, or starting Demon's Souls with super easy mode Royalty.

Disclaimer: I have yet to try out a bloodtinge build in BB, but as far as I understand magic builds in this game, you're gonna have to go through the majority of the game before you can even do anything magic-wise, and even then you simply can't rely much on it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199036702&postcount=109

Framepacing is a fairly simple concept, but yeah, if you don't notice it, you just don't notice it. It's not as obvious as, say, occasional drops to 20-25 from 30 fps, it's more subtle. Stuttering and just the general lack of smoothness.

I guess I see what your saying but there are 3 other games that could give you that. I don't see why BB has to be like Demons, DS1, and DS2.

gogosox82

Build variety isn't just weapon variety. It's the combination of stats, loadout and playstyle. There are enough materials to upgrade several weapons per playthrough, so I don't need to specialize that much.

aravuus talked about this a bit already. But yeah in Souls game the many options you have to create and customize your character loadout will affect playstyle a lot more, and there are more possibilities because the magic system, ranged options, shields vs no shields, heavy armour vs light, etc. can create more combinations. You can be a nimble ninja, a defensive greatshield tank, a two-handing brute, a stealthy archer, pew-pew magic from a distance, or mix any of those things up (e.g. a defensive tank with a crossbow as ranged support, or a nimble ninja with some support magic/miracles, or a pew pew tanky mage, etc.). And all of those have the potential for a very different playing experience.

In Bloodborne it's always gonna be an agile shield-less melee fighter. The possible differences are limited to: slow and strong (str, e.g. transformed kirkhammer/Holy sword), quick and fast (skill, e.g. blades of mercy, saw cleaver), risk/reward (bloodtinge with the Chikage or Bloodletter), ranged support (bloodtinge with stronger guns or arcane spells), and... that's kind of it.

Also, I highly disagree that there are no tiers. I can't think of any reason to use the Amygdala Arm, Beast Cutter, Stake Driver, or Reiterpallasch, and especially none that I can see to use the Fist of Gratia, Ludwig's Rifle, Piercing Rifle. Rosmarinus also doesn't seem worth the materials to upgrade (esp. with how late you get it), and the Church Cannon and Rifle Spear are pretty mediocre too. I mean they can be kinda fun to use, and that can be reason enough, but for tiers? There are clearly superior options over all of these weapons.

Because there are no reasons to ever use any other type of blood gem other than regular damage-boosting ones. It'd be far more interesting if all the dmg-boosting ones weren't there and you could actually customize your weapons with properties like slow poison, quick poison, HP regen, or bonus vs beasts/Kin, etc. But literally all of those gems are useless, making it a very poorly balanced system.

You would use them because you like them. And your not going to be pigeonholed because it just isn't as good as whatever other weapon your comparing it to. As long as you get the gems, it will do great damage for you.

aravuus

I guess I see what your saying but there are 3 other games that could give you that. I don't see why BB has to be like Demons, DS1, and DS2.

Well I mean, yeah. And I don't see why having more possible build types would make it any more like the Souls games. It'd literally only mean more choices and better replayability. And that's really all I want from BB's hopefully upcoming sequel - better replayability.

It's a perfectly valid complaint, one you hopefully understand now. It's also something that bothers me, but doesn't bother you, which is perfectly fine.

Afrocious

Decided to take a detour to kill the BSB. Heading to the woods now.

suicide run to the beast cutter was something else. i beat the dlc with a 100+ character. running through the first area at <40 is lol. the hounds shrug my attacks off lol.

also grats on beating the cleric beast OP. if you need help with a boss, i'm sure some of us replaying the game can be summoned

Zukkoyaki

I sincerely do not mean this in any kind of bragging way but I found the beginning bonfire segment fairly easy. Picking enemies off one or two at a time wasn't bad at all and I made it through on my first attempt. Even the part afterwards I managed to find the shortcut through the crates simply by poking around.

Maybe I was lucky?

Melchiah

Now I'm here and wonder what the hell is going wrong. I simply can't advance to the second Lantern, wherever that thing is.

I was stoned pretty much everytime I played DS, maybe that helped lol.

That puts the original post in a new light. =D

Yeah the game teaches you most of it's mechanics well enough through the starting area but not knowing where or what a madmans knowledge even is (Even if i found and used it, nothing tells me I can level up now) and then having to run past all that stuff to face a boss is just obtuse.

Especially because you also don't know you'll get a lantern and the ability to level up after you beat it. Anyone going in there blind and getting owned a few times might as well go somewhere else and still won't be able to level up. It's obtuse and needlessly punishing design.

Eventhough BB was my first proper Souls experience, I still knew a lantern would appear after the first boss fight. I don't remember how I knew it, perhaps I had seen or read about it somewhere? I imagine it should be even more obvious to someone who has previous experience from the games.

I reached the first boss before I found Madman's Knowledge on my first playthrough, but the item's effect should become obvious sooner than later. When you use it, get Insight, and eventually end up in the Hunter's Dream with the Doll awakened. That change should be a clear signal to check the Doll, whether you faced the boss or used the item.

I sincerely do not mean this in any kind of bragging way but I found the beginning bonfire segment fairly easy. Picking enemies off one or two at a time wasn't bad at all and I made it through on my first attempt. Even the part afterwards I managed to find the shortcut through the crates simply by poking around.

Maybe I was lucky?

My first experience was pretty much the same. I did die several times before clearing the bonfire area and finding the shortcut, but eventually I found it. Along the way the game teached me to proceed cautiously, avoiding combat with multiple enemies. I actually never went to the werewolf bridge from the other direction, and even learned on my own to cheese them by luring them to the doorway.

I fucking adore Bloodborne, but I agree that the start is bad for new players. Requiring players to get an Insight point before they can level up was a bad design choice. It means people's first experience with the game is accumulating and losing a lot of blood echoes. This is especially bad for people who have not played a From Software game before. Playing your first From Software game is always rough, but when you die too often in the same section and don't even have any blood echoes to show for it, there's not really much sense of progression. I can see that turning off a lot of people, which in turn is going to turn them off to any future From Software games.

Bloodborne's beginning is extreme trial by fire, and I feel like a few concessions could have been made to make it a little more accessible without undermining it.

Melchiah

I fucking adore Bloodborne, but I agree that the start is bad for new players. Requiring players to get an Insight point before they can level up was a bad design choice. It means people's first experience with the game is accumulating and losing a lot of blood echoes. This is especially bad for people who have not played a From Software game before. Playing your first From Software game is always rough, but when you die too often in the same section and don't even have any blood echoes to show for it, there's not really much sense of progression. I can see that turning off a lot of people, which in turn is going to turn them off to any future From Software games.

Bloodborne's beginning is extreme trial by fire, and I feel like a few concessions could have been made to make it a little more accessible without undermining it.

I was a newcomer, and used all the Blood Echoes I had collected on stocking up supplies and buying the Yharnam Hunter set. So, they weren't wasted for me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You would use them because you like them.
Uh, yeah, I said as much. You initially said there were no tiers, no weapons better than others, but that's just not true. There are clearly weapons that are of superior tiers, it doesn't mean the other weapons aren't viable but there are still tiers.

I tabled Bloodborne for almost 2 years because the initial section of that game was very hostile to me (who had never played much of a Souls game before). I think the first non-optional boss is at a minimum one of the three hardest in the game. There's a huge hurdle to clear initially before the game opens up but once you brute force your way through that beginning the game really opens up and is one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had with games.

I'd really implore anyone that is struggling with the opening to stick with it. Dying isn't the punishment I originally thought it was as a newcomer to the series. Once you get that in your head, the game becomes a lot more palatable.

OP you should be running a lot more and grabbing loot that can help you. Especially in the beginning. Remember this is not DS so emphasis is on offensive maneuvering.

MTC100

Banned
I've finished the game after roughly 40 hours, it's too bad it didn't warn me before
talking to Gehrman
as this ended my run and I wanted to check out some of the chalice dungeons I haven't finished yet. Now I am in my NG+ without getting asked if I want to and not really motivated to play the whole stuff again, it's almost as bad as losing my whole save...

On the bright side: The Ending I've gotten was one only 13% of all Bloodborne owners have gotten, I guess because they go for this ending the second run around. But honestly I felt like it was the right choice, I had earned my rest.

Top Bottom