• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The start of Bloodborne and how it's freaking awful

Persona7

Banned
The entire game was extremely simple and lacked difficulty coming off the Dark Souls series but then again the formula was watered down so bloodborne could appeal to more people. The beginning is literally a breeze.

Eventually you'll get good enough to where the combat is like a scripted dance and you're dodging stuff that's not even on-screen yet. It's weird, it's like you develop a sixth sense.

In all fairness, while gitting gut is possible and will help, the first ~2h of Bloodborne are disproportionally rough. Likely the hardest in the entire series.

Nimby

Banned
I quit Bloodborne after 20+ attempts on the Blood Starved Beast. I too had a really tough time with the beginning. The wolves on the bridge were excruciatingly difficult. Namely because there are two of them. I couldn't get them to separate.

After 20+ attempts on the BSB, I quit and deleted the game. I simply wasn't having any fun.

Blood Starved Beast is optional right? His attacks are very easily avoided and have noticeable startups. If he was giving you trouble you could fight the story boss in the cathedral area, but I thought they were a lot harder than the Blood Starved Beast.

Curufinwe

The entire game was extremely simple and lacked difficulty coming off the Dark Souls series but then again the formula was watered down so bloodborne could appeal to more people. The beginning is literally a breeze.

Thread has now come full circle with its hot takes.

joe_zazen

Just summon people. They will kill everything in the game. You don't really need to do much to finish bb

Edit: or at least iirc

Van Bur3n

WHAT

That's like saying Undead Asylum is the best part of Dark Souls, there's so much more to the game.

Well, it definitely has something in common with Dark Souls in that there is a drop in quality in the second half, though its not as drastic as Dark Souls.

Anyway, I feel Central Yharnam plays a big part in why the first half of the game is so strong. It offers the best level design of the game before it starts to get really linear and I find the likes of Cleric Beast and Gascoigne to be some of the best early bosses of all Souls. Made for a perfect introduction.

depths20XX

Why not just run past everything so you don't have to play the game at all.

If he's already fought past the enemies and is looking for the next lamp there's no reason to keep fighting them again. You miss the point. Running past enemies is very much a part of souls games. Who fights through all the enemies over and over after they die to a boss?

down 2 orth

Just summon people. They will kill everything in the game. You don't really need to do much to finish bb

Edit: or at least iirc

The game is a Sony-Bamco project, so you're definitely going to see moments where the value of a Playstation Plus subscription is made abundantly clear. That said, if you have Plus, then don't hesitate to summon away.

I was only hooked at the halfway point of the game OP, and now I'm at the end-game part and it's the only game in the last 2 gens that I want to 100% complete everything.

I'm a terrible video game player and I got through Bloodborne. I didn't think the opening was that hard, actually. The two warewolves on the bridge before the first boss were tough but that wasn't even too bad. The game is pretty generous in that you can really make it as easy or hard as you'd like.

Gattsu25

Banned
I can see that part being hard for someone who adopted the "shield and turtle" playstyle from the Souls games. My recommendation would be to trust in your character's mobility. It's better than any shield.

Also, be careful with your weapon's different transformation modes. Your weapon has different timings with the transformed mode and they are usually slower than the default form.

What weapon are you using?

rtcn63

If he's already fought past the enemies and is looking for the next lamp there's no reason to keep fighting them again. You miss the point. Running past enemies is very much a part of souls games. Who fights through all the enemies over and over after they die to a boss?

People who's first DS is Dark Souls 2

;_;

NeonBlack

Just a question. How often do you summon?

I've always wondered if people who say this are playing this solo.

You can easily run past all that shit if you can't be bothered to fight them again. Yu just run don't even need to sneak.

Guess it's the worse game though.

Gattsu25

Banned

I never run past enemies in Souls games until I find the boss of the level.

I had a hell of a time with it but as my first Souls series game it's what I expected going in. It was definitely one of the harder parts of the game. I liked it. Particularly the sense of accomplishment after finally beating it.

There was no way in hell I was going to run passed them as some people said. I don't care if you're supposed to or not. I can't play games like that. I killed every last one of the fuckers. I'm sure I died and restarted a hundred or so times though lol. I also used the strategy guide throughout the game.

Gattsu25

Banned
Witcher 3 bored me to tears after I played Bloodborne. Seemed like nothing ever happened in that game and the combat was garbage. Every time I booted the game felt like I was forcing myself to play through it.

And lol @ your Bloodborne story comments. Too deep for you? You realize you're in the minority, right, and that Soulsborne storytelling depends on your attention and investigating since it doesn't rely on cutscenes to tell the whole story.

The only game you'll be able to enjoy now is Devil May Cry.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nah OP you're awful

ZeroRay

Bloodborne has probably the best opening level in a souls game.

Central Yharnam is intricate enough to give the first time player a good intro to the game's systems and ways of dealing with enemies while providing enough shortcuts to let a seasoned player blitz through in 5 minutes.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
This isnt true the game is harder simply becuase you cant turtle with a shield. Sure you regain health by being aggressive, but the enemies themselves are also more aggressive and quicker than typical Souls enemies.

I died more in Bloodborne than in any Souls game.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I dont know, i was able to do this on my second try. Its hard, but thats what makes it interesting and fun imo.

FaintDeftone

While I agree that Bloodborne's starting area is tough, it's actually one of the toughest areas in the game. I struggled more there than I did at Nightmare of Mensis. The funny thing about it is that once you return to it later on in the game, it'll be a cakewalk.

Persona7

Banned
This isnt true the game is harder simply becuase you cant turtle with a shield. Sure you regain health by being aggressive, but the enemies themselves are also more aggressive and quicker than typical Souls enemies.

I died more in Bloodborne than in any Souls game.

I rarely use a shield in Dark Souls so I don't know what you mean. My experience was the complete polar opposite. Had no issues at any point and I beat the vast majority of the bosses in bloodborne on my first try.

Patience > any game in the Soulsborne series.

This is a meme. I am not patient by any means and have an unconventional playstyle and manage to play very well in these games.

GLAMr

I didn't know you could coward run to Cleric Beast for insight to unlock levelling. My friend told me you had to kill Gascoine first, so I took him on my third attempt with no leveling. It was a little frustrating at the time, but was worth the payoff. My only previous Souls experience was rage quitting half way through DS.

I'm not saying I'm some kind of god; I'm just demonstrably more powerful than whatever god(s) OP happens to believe in.

TheFuzz

This is a cry for help.

OP isn't wrong, opening the shortcut to the Cleric Beast is probably the toughest part of the game. But.... you don't even need to do it.

Afrocious

I rarely use a shield in Dark Souls so I don't know what you mean. My experience was the complete polar opposite. Had no issues at any point and I beat the vast majority of the bosses in bloodborne on my first try.

I think the practice of not using a shield in prior Souls games helps out with getting accustomed with Bloodborne's style of combat.

Wamb0wneD

Just curious OP, do you have the DLC?

I think it's one of the best DLC in the entire Soulsborne series, for me it's as good as the Artorias DLC. Also, about 40% of the weapons are in the DLC, and the weapons are PRETTY GOOD.

BSB isn't even a mandatory boss, you can fight it later when you are better equiped at a higher level.
Rememebr, Bloodborne is also an RPG. It's not like Megaman where you are forced to beat something or get stuck.

Yeah I got the DLC, though I have no clue how to enter it, nor whether I have to download it seperately or not. Got the GOTY edition so it should be on the disc no? Is it as convoluted as Artorias to find in game? Because I only found that one by chance lol. Are the weapons only in the DLC areas or did they get added in pre existing ones as well?

That's why I said it.

Haha very considerate of you

hate to be that guy OP but you gotta git gud

also props for not complaining about blood vial system subbing estus

I'm probably just not far enough into the game where I spammed them to a point where I run out of them.

Afrocious

I wouldn't touch the DLC so soon. First boss is a wall. Your call though.

And IDK about the beginning being the hardest part in the game. I know it's subjective, but dealing with the optional areas with where Winter Lanterns lurked got me a bunch of times. And that well in the DLC lol.

Oh man I hate sharks.

Everyone is unleveled at the start and I can't level up until i find some obtuse item at some obtuse spot. It's just an awful design decision.

Apart from the combat...yes? I have my problems adapting to it but it's not like I'm bad at adapting to things.

In Demon's Souls you have to beat the entire level, boss included, in order to level up. Bad design, or could it be... Good design.. Hey?

Bloodborne plays a lot different from Dark Souls. You will gitgud with time to adjust.

But I'm also pretty sure you can just run through everything to get the insight you need to level up.. Forget the next lantern. I think that's the only one anyway. There are a couple shortcuts to unlock, but you only need to reach the end of the stage once, and then warp back or die and you can set up the leveling up thing. There's nothing obtuse about it. Just survive your way to a boss (there are two) and you instantly get what you need.

Before leveling, the most important thing is just getting the hang of how to play this game. You actually get your health back by hitting enemies immediately after you take damage, so you really want to get the hang of getting up in their space instead of playing defensively.

Afrocious

Yeah, I imagine the beginning of Bloodborne can be hell for people who never play/practice Dark souls without a shield.

I'm only speaking from my own experience and others compared to folks I know who complained about BB's lack of viable turtling. I mainly ran DEX characters so I was kinda forced to two-hand a katana with a grass crest shield on my back.

Doing that enough times through three games allowed me to get used to BB.

Still died a bunch though because my dick is tiny.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dying 7 times is nothing though? You aren't even really struggling that much :p

This thread is making me nostalgic of the beginning of Bloodborne. I feel like replaying it again...

I agree with you OP. It's awful. I totally adore Bloodborne, but the beginning of this game is so sloppy and awfully designed. There are at least 2 small changes I'd make that would still retain the wild challenge but make it at least somewhat more fair.

Even worse than the awful opening area before you can level up is just how the game never wants to explain a main system to you. This is one game where you actually enjoy it more if you google the basic functions of the game ("how/when do I level up?"), and to me that is a major design failing when that happens.

Afrocious

I agree with you OP. It's awful. I totally adore Bloodborne, but the beginning of this game is so sloppy and awfully designed. There are at least 2 small changes I'd make that would still retain the wild challenge but make it at least somewhat more fair.

Even worse than the awful opening area before you can level up is just how the game never wants to explain a main system to you. This is one game where you actually enjoy it more if you google the basic functions of the game ("how/when do I level up?"), and to me that is a major design failing when that happens.

Wait, what system isn't explained? I'm confused.

I was thinking about this the other day.

I don't like the starting area at all, it's not really hard, but I prefer any other Souls starting area by quite a lot.

FRS1987

Although I do agree that the beginning is terrible, you have to be extremely patient in the beginning of Bloodborne, moreso than any souls games imo. The fact that the game pretty much restricts you from leveling until you fight your first boss just makes it much more of a grind, farming vials doesn't help.

If you're struggling and want to power through enemies, use the axe, if you like fighting groups of enemies, use the threaded cane but in whip form. Using the whip imo breaks the game and makes it a cake walk, you can even use it to zone out tougher enemies and since the game gives you a substantial amount of stamina, abuse it.

This is from someone who played extremely defensive in Souls games, so the only issue I had really, was getting used to the different controller layout but in terms of combat, once I realized that dashing takes away like 1/10th of your stamina, I ABUSED it A LOT. Use it a lot, Dark Souls doesn't give you the luxury(or stamina) to dash all the time.

Wamb0wneD

Nah OP you're awful

Ok.

Dying 7 times is nothing though? You aren't even really struggling that much :p

This thread is making me nostalgic of the beginning of Bloodborne. I feel like replaying it again...

When each time dying is like 15 minutes of playing and after almost 2 hours of not progressing in any direction, not through leveling nor through exploration and doing the same corridor instead, 7 times suddenly feels like 100 times. Glad when my thread had some use though lol.

Yeah some stuff was really obtuse. I mean it's a Souls game but they can't even explain how to equip stuff lol. I needed some time to realize that the gun slot is in the same row as the normal weapons.

Afrocious

Although I do agree that the beginning is terrible, you have to be extremely patient in the beginning of Bloodborne, moreso than any souls games imo. The fact that the game pretty much restricts you from leveling until you fight your first boss just makes it much more of a grind, farming vials doesn't help.

If you're struggling and want to power through enemies, use the axe, if you like fighting groups of enemies, use the threaded cane but in whip form. Using the whip imo breaks the game and makes it a cake walk, you can even use it to zone out tougher enemies and since the game gives you a substantial amount of stamina, abuse it.

This is from someone who played extremely defensive in Souls games, so the only issue I had really, was getting used to the different controller layout but in terms of combat, once I realized that dashing takes away like 1/10th of your stamina, I ABUSED it A LOT. Use it a lot, Dark Souls doesn't give you the luxury to dash all the time.

The funny thing is that the hunter axe is actually the weapon that outright lowers the difficulty of BB. I think that's a commonly agreed upon notion.

Whip has nothing on the axe's R2 attack.

Also, IDK maybe I was used to Demons Souls in having to complete a whole level before being able to level up.

jb1234

As a long time Souls fan I hated the term ''git gud'' too.

The Souls community used to be very helpful during the Demon's Souls and even early Dark Souls days. People used to be super kind to new comers and always provide tips and helps.

I don't know what the fuck happened to the community, and I have no idea why people keep yelling ''git gud'' at someone who is clearly frustrated and need help.

It's deeply condescending. If the best you can do is tell someone to "git gud", you're better off saying nothing at all because it's not helpful.

The beginning of BB was the hardest part of the game for me. And it doesn't help that it refuses to make the leveling system clear. I eventually got so frustrated that I looked up online when you can finally start leveling up and rolled my eyes at the answer.

It's an amazing game but it has its quirks.

Top Bottom