• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The start of Bloodborne and how it's freaking awful

I'm sorry i hurt your feelings. Maybe read some of the thread, or even the fucking thread title next time. Where do I say the entire game sucks? I don't understand the mentality to get so defensive over a game you like that you feel the need to shit on someone's opinion in that way. A not so small amount of people who beat the game agree with me. But you know better because...? Grow up.
You started a thread to bitch. You're in no place to tell people to grow up. You want to talk about your shitty opinion but can't handle someone responding to it. I know better because I've seen enough adults and children get through it to know you suck.

Hooks

If you're thinking of quitting after 7 tries maybe Bloodborne isn't for you. But like others said there are shortcuts and stuff you can unlock

You started a thread to bitch. You're in no place to tell people to grow up. You want to talk about your shitty opinion but can't handle someone responding to it. I know better because I've seen enough adults and children get through it to know you suck.

Im sure the op will just gloss over all youve just said and just hit you with a nice dose of confirmation bias and a friendly gtfo .

Wamb0wneD

I started a thread because I managed to get through Souls multiple times just fine and thats not the case here. Some people who have beaten BB multiple times agree with me, others, probably more, don't. You couldn't even read the fucking thread title correctly and started to to get at me personally immediately.
As already mentioned i had a lot of nice disucssions with people that responded with disagreement in here, you on the other hand are just being a dick.

Im sure the op will just gloss over all youve just said and just hit you with a nice dose of confirmation bias and a friendly gtfo .
It's telling you didn't respond to my last post adressed to you but instead went for the wait for it... confirmation bias. How can someone own himself multiple times in a row.

Whats there to go into detail in his post exactly? and yes, I did adress it. Just like yours. Keep telling yourself i ignore people who disagree with me though to make yourself feel better being an asshole in my thread.

jviggy43

Well yeah, except i didn't find that wonderful shortcut yet that let's me circumvent the first 10 minutes of tedium that is the big ass corridor. "Just run through everything possible until the boss even though 90% of the game is about the fighting system (that's totally the obvious thing to do), then find some shortcuts without dying to the damn werewolves and then beat the boss. Now you can actually use the blood you did (not) collect so far (because you ran through everything) and level up!"

That's not what i call good design, sorry. I walked down the same corridor with 15 enemies in it for 2 hours, my patience for today is running thin. Will try again tomorrow. I like the atmosphere of the game and there's a lot of room for me to get better at the fighting system for sure, but the start of this game has problems.

I cleared all of that on my first try, by fighting and clearing everything. People are telling you to run past everything because youre clearly struggling to fight everything. It isn't intended to be ran through but it works perfectly fine.

The start of the game doesn't have problems. This is a case where the meme "git gud" applies to the problem in question.

The parry timing is pretty generous and it's what you should rely on to get past the guy with a brick.

Here are some spoilers to help you reach your first shortcut:

After you beat the guy with the brick, the hounds, etc., there's a bridge with two werewolves. Lure one at a time and use molotovs to kill it. Then kill the other. After defeating them, do not go all the way towards the other brick enemy. There's a doorway on your left that you can use to open a shortcut.

I think restricting the player's ability to level up at the beginning is a good choice. If your immediate instinct is that you need to level up to out-stat whatever obstacle you're having trouble getting past, then that's probably not how the developers want you to feel. Forcing you to play through a significant portion of the game at base level can help to illustrate that problems can be overcome by learning the enemy patterns and game systems rather than just becoming more powerful.

Mephala

I feel like Bloodborne was a bit harder early on but it felt like mostly to get you into the habit of the playstyle and when/how to be aggressive or defensive. If you're not dodging and picking your fights properly you will get swarmed and destroyed.

The big guy with the brick? He killed me so many times. To the point where I could reach him without taking damage from the long hallway with all the enemies. It is odd, I certainly can't give you the numbers but I can guarantee if the controller was in my hand I would remember quickly
- how many hits I need to kill each enemy.
- how many swings I can do before I need to back off
- which direction I should dodge when they raise their weapon a certain way
- how far I need to dodge
- after which attacks is it safe to retaliate
- does the enemy flinch? Which attacks cause this, how many of those attacks I can use in succession etc.

All of these things I learned at the beginning and learn again for new enemies.

The brick guy I did the exact same thing. I took the effort to single him out and just fought him slowly to get used to what he could do and how I should react. The same for the axe enemy and the same for the wolves though I eventually found the way to move past them.

If you're taking hits in the early segments before the banging door, you need to work on your timing more.
If you are really struggling... Buy the armor from Hunter's Dream. Yes, you can find it later but that isn't going to help if you can't reach it right now.

I think restricting the player's ability to level up at the beginning is a good choice. If your immediate instinct is that you need to level up to out-stat whatever obstacle you're having trouble getting past, then that's probably not how the developers want you to feel. Forcing you to play through a significant portion of the game at base level can help to illustrate that problems can be overcome by learning the enemy patterns and game systems rather than just becoming more powerful.

I agree with this.

Alchemy

Bloodborne was my first Dark Souls game and I fucking loved every minute of it, but the start was definitely not that bad for me. Some people just suck at video games I guess.

GAF, you guys are needlessly mean sometimes. The OP is having trouble with a hard game. Stop telling him he sucks at video games. What good does that do?

Wamb0wneD

I cleared all of that on my first try, by fighting and clearing everything. People are telling you to run past everything because youre clearly struggling to fight everything. It isn't intended to be ran through but it works perfectly fine.

The start of the game doesn't have problems. This is a case where the meme "git gud" applies to the problem in question.

Then you are a better player than me. It still doesn't explain how some people who played through it multiple times and obviously had way less problems than me share my view point. I don't think "git gud" would apply there.

The parry timing is pretty generous and it's what you should rely on to get past the guy with a brick.

Here are some spoilers to help you reach your first shortcut:

After you beat the guy with the brick, the hounds, etc., there's a bridge with two werewolves. Lure one at a time and use molotovs to kill it. Then kill the other. After defeating them, do not go all the way towards the other brick enemy. There's a doorway on your left that you can use to open a shortcut.

Yeah i noticed the parrying is fairly easy to pull off, just takes some practice with enemies I have not or barely encountered before, naturally. And for now i didn't manage to seperate the wolves, but maybe that will work tomorrow.

That's not really my instinct. I don't want to level up to mitigate the challenge, I want to level up to not let the xp go to waste. Some people like a poster above might manage to breeze trhough all of it until the boss without dying, I don't. Starting from the first lantern without that shortcut is just tedious. And correct me if I'm wrong but I wouldn't call that a significant portion of the game, considering what comes after all of that.

This game isn't for you, it seems. The Souls franchise is a modern day masterpiece in gaming.

Good thing then that i love the Souls franchise and I can see how I would enjoy this game if it wasn't for the bad starting area with it's questionable design decisions.

Hey, I haven't read through all of this fun thread yet but thought it'd be good place to ask: what's the best starting class/weapons for a newcomer to the Soulsborne series in this game?

It's telling you didn't respond to my last post adressed to you but instead went for the wait for it... confirmation bias. How can someone own himself multiple times in a row.

Whats there to go into detail in his post exactly? and yes, I did adress it. Just like yours. Keep telling yourself i ignore people who disagree with me though to make yourself feel better being an asshole in my thread.

Nice stealth edit jackass. The thread had already spawned a new page and i had already made a new post on this page before you decided to go back and edit your previous post to address mine. Trying to make it look like i ignored your post is pretty fucking immature and says all that needs to be said

You say you engaged with everyone who disagreed , by 'engage' do you mean refuse to acknowledge that the people who disagree with you might be correct. Whilst the people who tell you to get good may infact be stroking their souls ego ,it doesnt mean that getting good (be it through skill or knowledge) at the game wont help you make progress. You instead decide to label them shitposts and say their arguments are shallow. Whose to say they also havent put in hundreds of hours into the game. You were the one who barely played a game and decided to make a thread shitting on the game.

I havent owned myself multiple times in a row, youve just been acting like child throwing a tantrum.

Wamb0wneD

GAF, you guys are needlessly mean sometimes. The OP is having trouble with a hard game.Stop telling him he sucks at video games. What good does that do?

It's not even GAF, most people in here were civil and brought nice agruments in disagreement and agreement alike, got some nice tips out of it. Some people started up the game again because of the thread. Some people are taking it a bit too far with the shitposting though.

The funny thing is I even mention in the first post how i had no problems with DS at all, it's not like im inept or something.

Don't call something bad because you suck at it.

I
didn't
call
the
game
bad.

If people would stop to be that freaking offended because a game they like is mentioned in a negative context this forum would be a better place. I like the game. The intricate combat, the atmosphere...But the starting area has flaws that frustrated me and that i wanted to adress. God forbid. Guess i said the game sucks. Smh.

LegoArmo

I adore the start (and the rest) of this game. It's perfect in my opinion.

A friend of mine had an issue with dying repeatedly at this part, so he share played with me and I ran him to the boss with a full 2 second delay.

Out levelling everything is always an option.

Don't really care to jump into the shitshow this thread has become but IIRC that crowd of enemies around the bonfire and the giant smashing the door are easy to just run past. It can feel cheap but you'll save yourself a lot of frustration if you just run past parts that are giving you a lot of trouble and see if things clear up past the point you're dying.

To everyone saying "Get good," that part was a pain in the ass for me and everyone I know the first time around, it's almost like the Capra Demon of BB except it's much earlier and not as rough. But still, no reason to act like someone sucks because they have trouble at that part.

Maddrical

The start area of BB is definitely quite difficulty, probably the most difficult of all the Soulsbourne starting areas. But it's by no means freaking awful, and I don't think that restricting leveling up is a bad design decision. The only bit that I think is a bit too much is the two wolves on the bridge, they are a real pain for beginners and putting them right before the shortcut is just mean.

I definitely struggled more from the start of the game up to Father G than i did for the remainder of the game. Only other boss that I genuinely struggled with after that would've been the
Shadow of Yharnam
. Once you get the dodges down pat though it makes most enemies very easy.

Had a hard time when on my first character where I picked the saw cleaver as my first weapon. Almost gave the game up.

I restarted and used the Axe. Had a hard time initially until I found a good rhythm. I strictly used the charged two handed axe swing which has a godly double swing that clears out everything around you and even knocks down most enemies including the huge guy with the axe near the ladder to the first lantern. I just got the right distance, timing and positioning and made strategies for each enemies on the way. I stayed with this strategy as I overleveled myself and got the ludwig sword.

That part is really hard but its really awesome once you learn how to play the game differently from dark souls.

Wamb0wneD

GAF, you guys are needlessly mean sometimes. The OP is having trouble with a hard game.Stop telling him he sucks at video games. What good does that do?

It's not even GAF, most people in here were civil and brought nice agruments in disagreement and agreement alike, got some nice tips out of it. Some people started up the game again because of the thread. Some people are taking it a bit too far with the shitposting though.

The funny thing is I even mention in the first post how i had no problems with DS at all, it's not like im inept or something.

I
didn't
call
the
game
bad.

If people would stop to be that freaking offended because a game they like is mentioned in a negative context this forum would be a better place. I like the game. The intricate combat, the atmosphere...But the starting area has flaws that frustrated me and that i wanted to adress. God forbid. Guess i said the game sucks. Smh.

Nice stealth edit jackass. The thread had already spawned a new page and i had already made a new post on this page before you decided to go back and edit your previous post to address mine. Trying to make it look like i ignored your post is pretty fucking immature and says all that needs to be said

You say you engaged with everyone who disagreed , by 'engage' do you mean refuse to acknowledge that the people who disagree with you be correct. Whilst the people who tell you to get good may infact be stroking their souls ego ,it doesnt mean that getting good (be it through skill or knowledge) at the game wont help you make progress. You instead decide to label them shitposts and say their arguments are shallow, whose to say they also havent put in hundreds of hours into the game. You were the one who barely played a game and decided to make a thread shitting on the game.

I havent owned myself multiple times in a row, youve just been acting like child throwing a tantrum.

Lmao what. The post was adressed at you from the beginning, I'm sorry I don't F5 the page all the time. Nothing stealthy about it. When i wrote my post the new page didn't spawn yet. Nice paranoia going on tho.

No by engage i mean engaging in discussion. That means I'm trying to convey my standpoint and look at the points others make, taking their huge amount of gameplay tips into consideration and trying to sort out what's the better alternative when some advises contradict each other.

I'm only calling the ones shitpost that come in here, say "LUL GIT GUD!" and piss off again. It doesn't add anything to the thread, it's by definition a shitpost. The guy you responded to that I won't adress him couldn't even be bothered to read the thread title correctly and immediatly proceeded to come at me in a manner that's even more condescending/borderline insulting than "git gud" in his first post in here. Why the hell should I take something like that seriously.

"Git gud" is lazy af and yes, shallow. Everyone who wrote more than that i adressed politely and interested. And I'm not shitting on the game itself. I even like it. I tried to adress the things I don't like and the fact I'm not alone on this is confirmation enough for me that this thread has a right to exist, yes, even if it's not the majority of people that share my opinion. Call it bias all you want.

You are right about learning the game helping me to make progress. But there are design decisions at the start of this game that simply hamper my experience. I'm aware that most of these issues won't be any when the game progresses.That's why I explicitly wrote "start" in the thread title.

I had a similar problem although I've never played a souls game before, brought it last year because of the praise it got online, I don't know anyone who's heard of the game in real life and I wouldn't have brought it otherwise. I must have played about 4-5 hours before I gave up, thought it was too hard and just a terribly designed game, slow, sluggish, cheap deaths, no difficulty options, save points too far apart, just had a bad experience so I sold it.
Gave it another chance last month but decided to follow a youtube guide instead, after a few hours following the guide and getting more used to the controls the game clicked, completely different experience from the first time, nowhere near as frustrating and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'd definitely recommend following a playthrough guide for the first few hours so you know where and what type of enemies you encounter and how best to deal with them, once I got past the first few hours I was comfortable enough with the game to start progressing on my own and discovering the game for myself.

I will not tolerate this heresy, begone ye filth.

That being said yeah it is kinda annoying you can't level up until a certain point. That being said you can still buy better armor and gear. And if you played through the other souls games especially on ng++ you shouldn't be having an issue. As soon as you get parry down a good chunk of the game becomes much easier.

I do not suck at this game and have played many hours of Souls games over the years. I'm happy to say the beginning of Bloodborne is sloppy and could stand a design update. There is totally room to love something and be critical about it at the same time.

At the end of the day this is all subjective, anyway. If I were playing designer on this game I would have a couple updates that keep an enormous amount of the challenge at the beginning intact, but make some parts of it less over-the-top. At the risk of riling up people into a frenzy, I'll even point out a couple specifics:

1) Change: Reduce the werewolves to 1 on the bridge. Reason: For those who are arguing that you shouldn't just run past things and are instead being taught how to fight patiently, this goes too far in my opinion. Fighting one werewolf is already hard enough with no leveling. Fighting two, in this early stage of the game, is asking far too much. And most likely you're doing so after making it *really* far past the hordes, crows, dogs, etc. and barely hanging on as it is. Even with a bit of practice, if you are actually fighting your way around and to the back of the bridge staircase, when you face two werewolves it's too much. Reduce them to 1 or remove them from the location entirely, to be fought after when you've unlocked XP spending. In my opinion, this was by far the worst part of the level/encounter design.

2) Change: Be clear about where, when, how to level up from the get-go. Reason: For those who are being pounded over and over in the beginning stage, they think to themselves "I am getting experience but I keep dropping it - where am I even supposed to use it before I die??". This is very unclear system. Hell, even when you've returned, I'm fairly sure it's not made super clear that things have updated for you to start spending XP. Along the same lines, I'm fairly sure even the first weapons are just drops on the ground like little glints? It's been about a year since I've played, but I remember thinking this is silly and actually could almost be missed. Could stand to be more opaque. Feel free to lock out XP upgrade, but make it clearer to the player about where, when, how it will be accessible.

For those who think "all us must be washed clean through trial by fire", I'm only with you half way. There are ways in which your insane trial by fire can keep its challenge while not being to the point of sloppy. For instance, the game I Wanna Be The Guy is insane challenge as well, but isn't necessarily a challenge that is fun or fair or well designed (in fact, that's a design goal of the game).

In short, even in a game I absolutely adore like this, there are areas that can stand to be improved or iterated on. The beginning is one such area.

You really need to git gud, Bloodborne is the easiest of the bunch. But it's my favourite by far. A hooonter must hooont.
Eh, blood starved beast, the chalice dungeons in general, ebrietas and the entirety of the dlc bosses except for living failures and Maria are hard as balls. The hardest ever solo though was the ds2 challenge areas, but those were meant to be played in co-op so I didn't bother with them.

Wamb0wneD

OP I didn't read all 5 pages, but did you get enough advice on how to get through the area? If not, I can offer some if you need it.

That's really nice of you, I think I got enough hints/advices for now though. GAF basically showered me in them haha. I will try tomorrow, it's late af here and I should be in bed by now lol. But thanks anyway, appreciate it!

Daouzin

To everyone saying "Get good," that part was a pain in the ass for me and everyone I know the first time around, it's almost like the Capra Demon of BB except it's much earlier and not as rough. But still, no reason to act like someone sucks because they have trouble at that part.

I struggled with the beginning, but I never once thought the game was designed poorly, I just knew I was thinking of the problems incorrectly. I eventually figured it out and it became one of my favorite games of all time. I think the opening does it's best to train you on how to play Blood Borne. It's okay that it takes an investment from the player.

I had a coworker start playing BloodBorne and they were struggling as well. After 2 hours in I went over and did the opening section for them and then suicided before the boss. We got beers after and the next time he played he said it just "clicked," now it's one of his favorite games as well and he thinks the opening is great as well. However thanks to me he got to learn the fundamentals in 2-3 hour instead of the 6 it took me. Different players will learn "how to play" in different windows. If someone doesn't want to spend more than 10 hours on a game, it's just not for them. However the design isn't bad just because it requires investment. Once it clicks it clicks.

I'll openly admit that it was my first Souls game and I might just be bad at them, but the beginning did take me a bit, but if it wasn't structured the way that it was I don't think I would have ever "understood" how to play that game. The only other Souls game i played was Demon's Souls, but I sort of struggled my way through that to the 3rd area, never really "getting it" and then just dropping the game. If the game had an opening like BloodBorne I would have been forced to learn how to play the way the game wants you to play before progressing to a point where I felt like I failed to learn lesson 1,2 & 3.

Eh, blood starved beast, the chalice dungeons in general, ebrietas and the entirety of the dlc bosses except for living failures and Maria are hard as balls. The hardest ever solo though was the ds2 challenge areas, but those were meant to be played in co-op so I didn't bother with them.
The chalice dungeons have some of the most intense fights for sure but I don't consider them to be a part of the main quest. The last boss of the dlc is absolutely brutal and I rank him along Fume Knight as the most difficult fight in the Souls series, but these may vary, it depends a lot on your play style.

_____

OP: Bloodborne wants you to learn two things: Parrying and dodging. When you master these you'll probably love the combat and every encounter. If you're playing defensively or being too patient...it might be difficult. The game expects you to be aggressive and cocky because it counts on you mastering the two mentioned before.

Atlas157

I too have been playing Souls for a long time, ever since Demon's, and the beginning of Bloodborne was not a problem at all for me. All I did was play smart.

Wamb0wneD

I do not suck at this game and have played many hours of Souls games over the years. I'm happy to say the beginning of Bloodborne is sloppy and could stand a design update. There is totally room to love something and be critical about it at the same time.

At the end of the day this is all subjective, anyway. If I were playing designer on this game I would have a couple updates that keep an enormous amount of the challenge at the beginning intact, but make some parts of it less over-the-top. At the risk of riling up people into a frenzy, I'll even point out a couple specifics:

1) Change: Reduce the werewolves to 1 on the bridge. Reason: For those who are arguing that you shouldn't just run past things and are instead being taught how to fight patiently, this goes too far in my opinion. Fighting one werewolf is already hard enough with no leveling. Fighting two, in this early stage of the game, is asking far too much. And most likely you're doing so after making it *really* far past the hordes, crows, dogs, etc. and barely hanging on as it is. Even with a bit of practice, if you are actually fighting your way around and to the back of the bridge staircase, when you face two werewolves it's too much. Reduce them to 1 or remove them from the location entirely, to be fought after when you've unlocked XP spending. In my opinion, this was by far the worst part of the level/encounter design.

2) Change: Be clear about where, when, how to level up from the get-go. Reason: For those who are being pounded over and over in the beginning stage, they think to themselves "I am getting experience but I keep dropping it - where am I even supposed to use it before I die??". This is very unclear system. Hell, even when you've returned, I'm fairly sure it's not made super clear that things have updated for you to start spending XP. Along the same lines, I'm fairly sure even the first weapons are just drops on the ground like little glints? It's been about a year since I've played, but I remember thinking this is silly and actually could almost be missed. Could stand to be more opaque. Feel free to lock out XP upgrade, but make it clearer to the player about where, when, how it will be accessible.

For those who think "all us must be washed clean through trial by fire", I'm only with you half way. There are ways in which your insane trial by fire can keep its challenge while not being to the point of sloppy. For instance, the game I Wanna Be The Guy is insane challenge as well, but isn't necessarily a challenge that is fun or fair or well designed (in fact, that's a design goal of the game).

In short, even in a game I absolutely adore like this, there are areas that can stand to be improved or iterated on. The beginning is one such area.

Thanks again. I guess it's better when these points are coming from someone who actually beat the game. At least i don't see anyone telling you to git gud or how you suck at games lol.

OP: Bloodborne wants you to learn two things: Parrying and dodging. When you master these you'll probably love the combat and every encounter. If you're playing defensively or being too patient...it might be difficult. The game expects you to be aggressive and cocky because it counts on you mastering the two mentioned before.
Yeah i definetly still have the DS combat ingrained. As soon I play with that control scheme a switch in my brain is flipped. At least parrying works fine so far, at least for most enemies.

OP, this is the second time in a week I'm seeing you absolutely lose your cool in another thread, while also being disingenuous.

Bloodborne is different from Souls. It's more aggressive and more like an action game than the slow nature of Souls. You have to adjust and get good at parrying. If you don't, you will not enjoy this game at all once you get to Father Gascoigne.

It's just a strict game, not punishing or ridiculously hard.

Best wishes.

Daouzin

Yup, started learning this on the first 2 bosses and it finally hit home on the Blood Starved Beast.

Lmao what. The post was adressed at you from the beginning, I'm sorry I don't F5 the page all the time. Nothing stealthy about it. When i wrote my post the new page didn't spawn yet. Nice paranoia going on tho.

No by engage i mean engaging in discussion. That means I'm trying to convey my standpoint and look at the points others make, taking their huge amount of gameplay tips into consideration and trying to sort out what's the better alternative when some advises contradict each other.

I'm only calling the ones shitpost that come in here, say "LUL GIT GUD!" and piss off again. It doesn't add anything to the thread, it's by definition a shitpost. The guy you responded to that I won't adress him couldn't even be bothered to read the thread title correctly and immediatly proceeded to come at me in a manner that's even more condescending/borderline insulting than "git gud" in his first post in here. Why the hell should I take something like that seriously.

"Git gud" is lazy af and yes, shallow. Everyone who wrote more than that i adressed politely and interested. And I'm not shitting on the game itself. I even like it. I tried to adress the things I don't like and the fact I'm not alone on this is confirmation enough for me that this thread has a right to exist, yes, even if it's not the majority of people that share my opinion.

You are right about learning the game helping me to make progress. But there are design decisions at the start of this game that simply hamper my experience. I'm aware that most of these issues won't be any when the game progresses.That's why I explicitly wrote "start" in the thread title.

You edited in your response to my post on the other page after seeing my post on this page. Then you try and say its telling i didnt respond to your edited post when i wouldnt have even seen it. So dont try and say it was addressed to me all along when it wasnt.

At this point , theres nothing more to say that hasnt been said already and im not gonna be parrot.

Good luck with Bloodborne.
Now i might be wrong here, but is there not a stairs leading to a doorway somewhere on the side of the bridge you can go through in which they cant follow(they both get stuck at the door) allowing you to kill them stress free? Personally i'd say 2 is quite tough but that strategy along with the simple parry timing really helped early on when damage was low.

Gattsu25

Banned
As someone who avoided damage in the previous games by dodging instead of blocking, the main change that I had to come to grips with was how Bloodborne sent groups of enemies after you. You have tools to mitigate that (e.g. the Threaded Cane's whip attacks).

When each time dying is like 15 minutes of playing and after almost 2 hours of not progressing in any direction, not through leveling nor through exploration and doing the same corridor instead, 7 times suddenly feels like 100 times. Glad when my thread had some use though lol.
I would hate this series if I had this mentality. Getting more familiar with the enemy patterns, your attack animations, and your invincibility frames while dodging IS progress IMO.

It's the main progres you can make in these games.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Goddamn this thread is like Yharnam, lol.

Also, Bloodborne is a lot more forgiving than Dark Souls, I think. At least in BB when you die you lose your Echoes but your HP will remain the same, unlike in Souls.

I beat Blood Starved Beast on my second try, yet Gascoigne wrecked me dozens of times at first. Then I realized that now can level up and I haven't upgraded my weapons yet. Character level and weapon upgrade do matter a lot for me in these games.

Anyway, maybe OP (and anyone who's still struggling there) should try unlocking them first so they can breeze through the area with more ease.

Osukaa

OP did you not try throwing the stones at the baddies and lure them to you then kill them 1 by 1?? I understand it's difficult at first but.... I think you should have figured that out already. Also don't be greedy with the blood vials you'll get more really easily. Is there any game play of you that we can see so we can give help in better detail as we can see what it is your doing?

Most of us here do want to help you git gud.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Maybe it's not the game but you? Don't be fooled into thinking this is Dark Souls.

I totally understand how you feel because I was there too. Struggled to get past the wolves on the bridge so never did get to the lantern. I tried many times but grew frustrated and ragequit. I spent about a year hating on the game before I gave Dark Souls a try. I found that difficult but easier to get into. Once I had finished DS2 I felt it was time to go back to Bloodborne and it just clicked for me.

Of course you have already played Dark Souls so you should know what to expect. In Bloodborne do NOT run anywhere and just take your time. Enemies will ambush you and there are a lot more groups of enemies that will gang up on you. Use pebbles to lure individuals out and deal with them that way.

Hopefully you can stick with it. I'm glad I went back to it because I now consider it one of my favourite games of all time.

Daouzin

I beat Blood Starved Beast on my second try, yet Gascoigne wrecked me dozens of times at first. Then I realized that now can level up and I haven't upgraded my weapons yet. Character level and weapon upgrade do matter a lot for me in these games.

Anyway, maybe OP (and anyone who's still struggling there) should try unlocking them first so they can breeze through the area with more ease.

Really shows how differently people can play this game. Father took me 3 tries, but BSB took me like 5 - 8 tries until I got the parry timing down. Now he's probably the easiest boss for me.

OP I platinumed the game, and I only have 3 platinum trophies total. If I, a man who wants to throw his controller at the wall when playing the souls games, can do that, then you can push through and finish the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Really shows how differently people can play this game. Father took me 3 tries, but BSB took me like 5 - 8 tries until I got the parry timing down. Now he's probably the easiest boss for me.

LOL Bloodborne is the epitome of "I found boss A hard as balls yet other people can do it with their eyes closed."

Like, I *hate* Blood Starved Beast yet I can handle Gascoigne with my eyes closed now, and Ebrietas is, for me, very easy. Yet I was destroyed by Lady Maria countless times while I have seen people saying she's very easy. Etcetera with many other bosses.

ChrisD

The first bit of Bloodborne is the best with an intricate design that folds in on itself at multiple points. However, it SUCKS on the first time through (for some people; cover myself here). I spent 5 hours trying to get to the Cleric Beast. "Screw these streets, what kind of design is this?". Then I beat the game months later. And when I replayed months after that, I realized how great it actually is.

Not saying you're wrong, but I do feel like you'll appreciate the opening more if you stick with the game. Problem is, unless you do replay, this changes nothing for what you're going through now.

Game's balance is whack. (All Souls games' balance is whack imo.)

Wamb0wneD

OP, this is the second time in a week I'm seeing you absolutely lose your cool in another thread, while also being disingenuous.

Bloodborne is different from Souls. It's more aggressive and more like an action game than the slow nature of Souls. You have to adjust and get good at parrying. If you don't, you will not enjoy this game at all once you get to Father Gascoigne.

It's just a strict game, not punishing or ridiculously hard.

Best wishes.

Thats all fine and i appreciate your feedback but I would prefer it if you would stop to read so much into me haveing an argument with some guy on the internet. Also I really wonder where I was being disingenuous.

I know that I have to adjust and I admitted multiple times in this very thread that there's definetly room for improvement on my side, but I and others also pointed out how some design decisions in the starting area of the game can make it more of an obtuse/frusttrating experience for a lot of new players, myself included.

Best wishes as well.

As someone who avoided damage in the previous games by dodging instead of blocking, the main change that I had to come to grips with was how Bloodborne sent groups of enemies after you. You have tools to mitigate that (e.g. the Threaded Cane's whip attacks).

I would hate this series if I had this mentality. Getting more familiar with the enemy patterns, your attack animations, and your invincibility frames while dodging IS progress IMO.

It's the main progres you can make in these games.

It definetly is, but in the starting area there are like what, 4 different enemy/weapon types, make that 6with the dogs and crows. At this point I studied them well enough and I'm getting the parrying done quite often, which doesn't do much when 4 people run in my face, and the werewolves are just assholes. What i definetly need to work on is dodging because I catch myself still managing stamina like I would play DS.

Top Bottom