• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Street interviews Sony's Jack Tretton

Chiggs

Just posted today. It's a pretty good read:

http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/t...828.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

The PlayStation 3 is going to be priced significantly higher than the machines from your two other competitors. How do you think that's going to play in Peoria?

Well, I guess if price is the only consideration, then we've won the war, because we've got a $129 PlayStation 2 that outsells the Xbox 360 today.

This time, though, you're going up against a competitor who's much better financed than the ones you went up against in the first two rounds, at least in terms of who came out first.

Right. There's no question they have a higher pain tolerance. I think most companies, if they'd lost the billions that Microsoft has lost on the Xbox, would question whether or not they belong in the business. Obviously, they have a different standard of success.

Last time around, your company had several exclusives on the Grand Theft Auto franchise, which many folks feel was the killer app for the PS2. You're not going to have that advantage this time around. How much does that hurt you?

There's no question that having the Grand Theft Auto franchise helped us a lot and helped us sell some units, but I don't think the battle would be any different with or without Grand Theft Auto.

Oh snap.

Chiggs

JB1981 said:
Oh snap, indeed. This guy doesn't mince words. I'd like to hear more PR talk like this. Shit.

Sony to Rockstar: "You're not special anymore."

The days of locking up exclusive content from a third party and having that be key to your strategy is really a dangerous road to go down because I think with the cost of development, not many developers can afford to do exclusivity. So, really what defines the uniqueness of a platform from a software standpoint are the offerings that you have from first party.

So are you saying that not having an exclusive on Grand Theft Auto doesn't hurt you at all?

No, I don't think it hurts us. No, I really don't.

bill0527

I think most companies, if they'd lost the billions that Microsoft has lost on the Xbox, would question whether or not they belong in the business. Obviously, they have a different standard of success.

Wonder how he would define Sony's overall success as a company.

Majmun

I think most companies, if they'd lost the billions that Microsoft has lost on the Xbox, would question whether or not they belong in the business. Obviously, they have a different standard of success.

:lol Ouch :lol

<nu>faust

X26 said:
He has a point when it comes to MS' losses

not really,

ms has never forecasted to make money of of the first xbox, the xbox project is ms' frontier to keep it's software formats dominant and to create a stand against a dominance of sony or nintendo in the media hub/living room entertainment sector.

maybe they might have lost on the xbox project more than what they have predicted in the beginning (i'm sure they wish they have never purchased rare for a whoopin 300$ mil for example) but ms knew that entering to a highly saturated market with an completely new and unknown brand would cost them at least a couple of bilions......that's why they wanted to buy sega and nintendo first.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Ignatz Mouse said:
Get this guy to take all of Kuturgi's and Harrison's interviews, please.
What, Jack Tretton, the guy who "helped" spawn the confusion over whether Sony was claiming that E3 2005 footage of Killzone was realtime? That guy?

Honestly, I'm a little confused by the responses in this thread so far. His comments here can be spun as negatively/delusional as other recent Sony exec interviews. Are we in the middle of Sony Amnesty Hour here at NeoGAF or something? ;)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Interesting comments about GTA... it's really kinda a two-faced look at it though... at the beginning Sony had to do a lot of locking up of third party or if not $$ lock up the simply coozing up to develop because their 1st party developing was weak... but they've have come a long way since those days... and its interesting that they can now feel comfortable enough to say that they feel they have strong enough exclusive 1st party titles to hang with multi-console stuff... and even if they don't have GTA they are still going to be exclusive on the PS3... just like there are going to be exclusive on the 360... but to discount GTA like that now... it's a bit disingenuous IMO.

For the most part his interview answer are pretty straightforward though.

Chiggs

This is pretty funny:

If we had suffered the struggles that Microsoft had, I'd question whether we'd be serious about the business today.

Just goes to show you what a behemoth Microsoft is.

kaching said:
What, Jack Tretton, the guy who "helped" spawn the confusion over whether Sony was claiming that E3 2005 footage of Killzone was realtime? That guy?

Well it's not like he said it was real time. He's just a smooth talker. :p

Rhindle

The days of locking up exclusive content from a third party and having that be key to your strategy is really a dangerous road to go down because I think with the cost of development, not many developers can afford to do exclusivity. So, really what defines the uniqueness of a platform from a software standpoint are the offerings that you have from first party.

So are you saying that not having an exclusive on Grand Theft Auto doesn't hurt you at all?

No, I don't think it hurts us. No, I really don't.
If there is one thing that will prove to be Sony's undoing, it is that attitude (assuming they really believe what this guy is saying).

Exclusive content is by far and away the greatest determinant for success, and if they think they can scrimp there and rely on first party offerings, say hello to Nintendo's market share.

Rhindle said:
If there is one thing that will prove to be Sony's undoing, it is that attitude (assuming they really believe what this guy is saying).

Exclusive content is by far and away the greatest determinant for success, and if they think they can scrimp there and rely on first party offerings, say hello to Nintendo's market share.

All he's saying is its going to be alot harder to get exclusives because development costs are so high at this point so developers and publishers want to make as much money possible by putting gmaes on every system posisble. Phil pretty much said the samething.

qirex

I don't see this as a "slam" to GTA, it's just that when you move a billion pieces of software a single title isn't the end-all, be-all of the system.

Rhindle said:

Plus, wouldn't Nintendo take the lead if first party titles are the dominent force?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DarienA said:
but to discount GTA like that now... it's a bit disingenuous IMO.
He's not discounting the impact GTA had for PS2 since it had timed exclusivity. But a simultaneous release of the game on multiple platforms is likely to distribute the impact previously observed when the games were released as 6-12 month timed exclusives on a single platform. So the likelihood of GTA impacting any one platform's fortunes this time around as strongly as it did the PS2's fortunes isn't very high. He's not discounting GTA's impact in an overall sense but rather in the specific sense of being a kingmaker this time around.

DarienA

Rhindle said:

He seems to be saying that they want to focus on more of that exclusive good content coming more from the inhouse studios rather than doing deals and paying $$ to lock up exclusive content from 3rd parties... at least that was my take on what he said.

kaching said:
He's not discounting the impact GTA had for PS2 since it had timed exclusivity. But a simultaneous release of the game on multiple platforms is likely to distribute the impact previously observed when the games were released as 6-12 month timed exclusives on a single platform. So the likelihood of GTA impacting any one platform's fortunes this time around as strongly as it did the PS2's fortunes isn't very high. He's not discounting GTA's impact in an overall sense but rather in the specific sense of being a kingmaker this time around.

Oh I get all of that that, but at the same time well it's almost like he didn't even acknowledge that "yeah GTA did help us last gen".

kaching said:

Honestly, I'm a little confused by the responses in this thread so far. His comments here can be spun as negatively/delusional as other recent Sony exec interviews. Are we in the middle of Sony Amnesty Hour here at NeoGAF or something? ;)

The Killzone thing was a blip, and an overstated one at that.

Anyway, what's refreshing is the lack of double-talk. Even if he's got the wrong strategy, perhaps, he isn't spinning it.

Rhindle

SolidSnakex said:
All he's saying is its going to be alot harder to get exclusives because development costs are so high at this point so developers and publishers want to make as much money possible by putting gmaes on every system posisble. Phil pretty much said the samething.
That much is understood, but he's going quite a bit beyond that.

1. He's saying spending money of third party exlusives is no a "dangerous path to follow." This is flat out wrong. Exclusives are critical. You just need to be able to apply good judgment in where you spend your money, and try to pick the system-sellers when they're early in development.

2. He's saying that first party development is their basis for selling their system. That's fine if you have system sellers in your first party line-up, but they don't.

3. The statement that losing GTA exclusivity will not hurt is just nonsense. It was probably the single biggest driver for PS2 sales, and is still the biggest third-party franchise by a very large margin.

Rhindle said:
That much is understood, but he's going quite a bit beyond that.

1. He's saying spending money of third party exlusives is no a "dangerous path to follow." This is flat out wrong. Exclusives are critical. You just need to be able to apply good judgment in where you spend your money, and try to pick the system-sellers when they're early in development.

The PS3 is getting exclusives, and good ones at that. So its not like they're ignoring that in any way at all. But they also know that exclusives aren't going to be as plentiful as they were last gen, sot hey can sit around with their exclusives, no matter how good they are. They've got to step up to the plate also with quality first party games.

I don't really get that he's saying its dangerous for Sony to try to lock up exclusives, as he follows that dangerous comment with "not many developers can afford to do exclusivity". He seems to just be repeating what many people have said, and its that more 3rd parties will be doing multiplatform this gen because of how high development costs are. Tretton just seems to be realising that and saying Sony will try to counter that by upping their 1st party quality. I don't really see a problem with that.

Rhindle said:
3. The statement that losing GTA exclusivity will not hurt is just nonsense. It was probably the single biggest driver for PS2 sales, and is still the biggest third-party franchise by a very large margin.

It was a big exclusive for the PS2, even he admitted that. But each version of it sold around 14m units worldwide. Which is amazing, but the PS2 fanbase is around 100m. People put too much weight on GTA being what drove the systems fanbase. I don't want to take anything away from it because I love the series, but its not the sole reason, as some try to make it out to be, that the PS2 is in the position it is now. It's one of many.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DarienA said:
Oh I get all of that that, but at the same time well it's almost like he didn't even acknowledge that yeah GTA did help us last gen.
What about this?

"There's no question that having the Grand Theft Auto franchise helped us a lot and helped us sell some units, but I don't think the battle would be any different with or without Grand Theft Auto."

The first part of that is clearly acknowledging what GTA did for the PS2. The second part isn't a dismissal, it's just making the point that they would have still been aiming to achieve the kind of success they had with the PS2 even if GTA hadn't been there to help things along. So now that the situation actually exists in a sense, if they want to achieve PS2 levels of success or higher, there's nothing for it but to change strategy.

DarienA

kaching said:
What about this?

"There's no question that having the Grand Theft Auto franchise helped us a lot and helped us sell some units, but I don't think the battle would be any different with or without Grand Theft Auto."

The first part of that is clearly acknowledging what GTA did for the PS2. The second part isn't a dismissal, it's just making the point that they would have still been aiming to achieve the kind of success they had with the PS2 even if GTA hadn't been there to help things along. So now that the situation actually exists in a sense, if they want to achieve PS2 levels of success or higher, there's nothing for it but to change strategy.

I missed that. Well maybe I didn't... sure they would have been aiming the achieve the same kind of success... who knows if they WOULD have....

TheDuce22

Banned
That dude is a hardass. As soon as I saw that first question I knew the interview wasnt conducted by a gaming journalist because Tretton scares the shit out of them. Thats why his attitude is perfect for the gaming industry. Real journalists would have torn him apart for blatantly lieing to them last year.

TheDuce22 said:
That dude is a hardass. As soon as I saw that first question I knew the interview wasnt conducted by a gaming journalist because Tretton scares the shit out of them. Thats why his attitude is perfect for the gaming industry. Real journalists would have torn him apart for blatantly lieing to them last year.

He didn't lie to them if you're talking about the Killzone thing. He said "that's one thing Ted wanted to make clear, it was all real time". Ted = Ted Price who runs Insomniac and is working on Resistance (I-8 at the time). He didn't comment on Killzone.

Rhindle

Saying GTA helped "sell some units" is not an acknowledgment, and claiming that loss of GTA "will not hurt" is disingenuous. I don't see why we're trying to defend the dumb PR spinning here.

Sony seems to be spending a bit on third party exclusives, but it's pretty obvious that they have cut way back. It will hurt them far more than the $600 price point or anything else in the long run.

TheDuce22

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
He didn't lie to them if you're talking about the Killzone thing. He said "that's one thing Ted wanted to make clear, it was all real time". Ted = Ted Price who runs Insomniac and is working on Resistance (I-8 at the time). He didn't comment on Killzone.

So hes not the guy that said Killzone was realtime gameplay on G4. Is that what your telling me?

Edit: Was this his evil twin or something?
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/vids_1.html

joaomgcd

THIS WAS WRITTEN BY JMPOVOA. Look a few posts down.

"On one hand we have GTA4 plus a $399 console (hell, even a $299 for the cheap gamers!), while on the other hand we have the same game (as far as we know) plus a $599 (or $499).
What will gamers choose? Well, there's always the dumb ones!"

Kabouter

joaomgcd said:
On one hand we have GTA4 plus a $399 console (hell, even a $299 for the cheap gamers!), while on the other hand we have the same game (as far as we know) plus a $599 (or $499).
What will gamers choose? Well, there's always the dumb ones!

The console that offers the best/most exclusive titles that they want.

Chiggs

SolidSnakex said:

He answered the question wrong basically, despite the interviewer doing his best to make sure Jack understood what he was talking about.

I don't want to completely let him off the hook. Seriously, E3 2005 is buzzing about the Killzone trailer, and good old Jack thinks they're talking about then-called I-8?

DarienA

joaomgcd said:
On one hand we have GTA4 plus a $399 console (hell, even a $299 for the cheap gamers!), while on the other hand we have the same game (as far as we know) plus a $599 (or $499).

troll much? So anyone that buys a PS3 is dumb even if there are exclusive for it that someone may decide they are interested in?

TheDuce22 said:
So hes not the guy that said Killzone was realtime gameplay on G4. Is that what your telling me?

He is that guy, but if you listen closely to what he says he's not commenting on Killzone, he's commenting on Resistance. Here's his exact comment

Q: Now there was alot of stuff in there that looked great, like Killzone, and people were wondering if that was real time.

Jack: It's defiently real. I guess we're pretty good at keeping secrets because the dev kits were out there. And that's one thing Ted wanted to make clear, that is real gameplay.

Notice how he jumps to talking about Ted (again working on Resistance)? He dodges the Killzone question.

Chiggs

SolidSnakex said:
He is that guy, but if you listen closely to what he says he's not commenting on Killzone, he's commenting on Resistance. Here's his exact comment

Notice how he jumps to talking about Ted (again working on Resistance)? He dodges the Killzone question.

Well, his first sentence is "It's definitely real". :) So maybe he didn't technically "dodge it" after all--Resistance or not.

JMPovoa

joaomgcd said:

Well, just for the record (i don't want joaomgcd to be hurt in this forum :D ) that was me who said that. I had forgot i was using his nickname (he's my cousin).

Following up on that, yes you could call that trolling, but i'm telling this in the sense that Jack Tretton is wrong by disregarding GTA as an important system seller.
Of course that buying a PS3 or an Xbox360 is far more than having GTA with it, but i'm taking this into this topic's context.

dalyr95

One thing that XBox had its favour, it was more powerful than the PS2. So people bought cross platform titles on the XBox instead of PS2.

What if Sony has the advantage this gen and the games look better, i'd buy the better looking version, you?

Kabouter

dalyr95 said:
What if Sony has the advantage this gen and the games look better, i'd buy the better looking version, you?

The PC version because it costs half and will look the same or better :p

JMPovoa

dalyr95 said:
One thing that XBox had its favour, it was more powerful than the PS2. So people bought cross platform titles on the XBox instead of PS2.

But that's the major doubt! Will the PS3 be indeed the one with better looking cross platforming games?

Kabouter

JMPovoa said:
Are you serious? Costs half? At what expense?

Costs half yes, PC game prices seem to be ever dropping.
And next-gen console prices are obscene.
New 360 game = 60-65 euro
New PC game (even if it's the same) = <40. Usually 30-35

And what do you mean at what expense?

JMPovoa

Kabouter said:

I was thinking the PC itself, not the game's price. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

Kabouter

JMPovoa said:
I was thinking the PC itself, not the game's price. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

Oh ofcourse the PC costs a lot, but I buy that one anyone for the exclusives.
Multi-platform titles that make it onto the PC are just a nice bonus.
But I bought it for games like Civilization IV, The Guild 2 etc.

BigBoss

Kabouter said:

And how much do you have to spend on a PC that could run these games that will be comparable to the PS3 version?

Kabouter

BigBoss said:
And how much do you have to spend on a PC that could run these games that will be comparable to the PS3 version?

~400 over the PC that I would already own for regular desktop usage

dalyr95 said:

I'll probably buy the one that my friends are playing online. What graphics were to me in 2002, online community is in 2006.

SolidSnakex said:

That is kaching early point.

this is the dodger who on purpose help ran the killzone realtime fud.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JMPovoa said:
But that's the major doubt! Will the PS3 be indeed the one with better looking cross platforming games?
Unless aniso filtering is messed up on RSX too, I think they will for that alone.

Top Bottom