• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Suikoden Revival Movement

ReaperXL7

420381_336601249769399_1789505930_n.jpg

I searched but could not find a topic on this subject yet so I thought I would make a thread about it as it's something that is actually kind of important to me. I have been a fan of Suikoden for a long time, it was one of my first original playstation games and i have owned every title in the series with the exception of the DS game, the two Gaiden games (only in the Japan) and the PSP game ( again only in Japan) If your interested in getting the Suikoden games on PSN, and the possibility of ever getting a 6th game in the series support this cause. Sometimes this type of fan movement can work, as it has with some recent nintendo titles.

suikoden-peticion.jpg

Suikoden was developed by Konami Japan, and released back in 1995, being one of the first RPGs to hit the PSone. It was not a huge success, but it helped Konami reclaim their reputation as a developer, helping later titles like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Metal Gear Solid.

Oddly, the game and its sequels have had a large impact on the industry, inspiring many game developers, including Warren Spector, who created Deus Ex. Mr. Spector lists it as one of the primary inspirations for both Deus Ex and portions of Epic Mickey.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/08/18/replay-deus-ex.aspx

About 37 minutes in, they begin to play Suikoden at the request of Mr. Spector, and he says that the game inspired not just him, but other game developers as well.

Suikoden II was released in 1999, and for me was the pinnacle ps1 rpg of that year and has since become one of my favorite rpgs of all time. The suikoden games have always held depth in narrative, characters, and gameplay features that i felt many other games lacked. As a result there have not been many other rpg franchises have replicated what suikoden did so well.

After five main titles, and several spin-offs, Konami benched the games for some time, finally releasing a none-too-well received Nintendo DS spin-off, then releasing a PSP game, unlikely to leave Japan.

At the Suikoden Revival Movement, we are dedicated to creating awareness of the Suikoden series. Currently, a copy of Suikoden II on Amazon or Ebay will cost you about $200-$400 USD, so we are currently lobbying Konami to release Suikoden II on the PSN, as well as other digital distribution networks. Also, we are dedicated to lobbying for the development of Suikoden VI, as well as greater communication from Konami about the series.

If you are a fan of the games, then please come and join us. If you have never played them, I would suggest playing Suikoden II, but at 250-some-odd bucks that is not too likely, so, come and help us get it released on digital networks for a much more reasonable price.

http://www.facebook.com/SuikodenRevival

MrDaravon

Any further sequels are pointless in my opinion without Yoshitaka Murayama, who was the director of 1, 2, and most (all?) of 3 before he left Konami; it's pretty clear they didn't know how to proceed or advance the story. 4 & 5 were prequels timeline-wise to 1-3, then you started getting the spinoffs. It makes me sad because Suikoden 2 is probably my second favorite game of all time.

However it IS ridiculous that at the very least Suikoden 2 hasn't been released on PSN. Given that they passed on the Suikoden I + II PSP game, it seems like they're passing up free money. It has a fan following and would sell well, especially since it goes for so much on ebay. And it can't be an aversion to putting the series on there in general since Suikoden 1 is on PSN. It's baffling. Definitely behind you guys on that one!

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why they haven't release Suikoden 2 on PSN, is there some weird back story to this or what? Or does Konami just hate money?

Suikoden II was released in 1999, just after the release of Final Fantasy VIII. I fell in love with the series after being horribly disappointed by FFVIII, and turning around and playing Suikoden II, a vastly more mature and substantive game.

I was ready to support the movement until I read this blasphemy.

The+Wire+-+Bunk+Moreland+Shaking+Head.gif

Adios, amigo.

ReaperXL7

There was more I wanted to add but I had a limited amount of time as the pc I was using was at the library I will be updating the op as I get a chance to do so. I personally feel pretty attached to this cause as I have always had great love for this series. Hopefully there are a number of gaffers who feel similar.

zaxon

Any further sequels are pointless in my opinion without Yoshitaka Murayama, who was the director of 1, 2, and most (all?) of 3 before he left Konami; it's pretty clear they didn't know how to proceed or advance the story.

Came to post this. 5 was still an excellent game, but it was missing that meta story element that 1-3 had, where there was a broader vision for the universe going on.

MrDaravon

I was ready to support the movement until I read this blasphemy.

The+Wire+-+Bunk+Moreland+Shaking+Head.gif

Adios, amigo.

Wait, you're saying that Final Fantasy 8 is better than Suikoden 2? That's a new one, I don't think I've seen that particular argument ever played out.

Came to post this. 5 was still an excellent game, but it was missing that meta story element that 1-3 had, where there was a broader vision for the universe going on.

Yeah, 5 was alright but I honestly didn't even finish it, and that was after playing 1 & 2 probably 5 times each. 4 was boring at best.

King_Moc

Banned
Only played I, II & V but loved all three. Just ordered the DS one too. Would love them to let a decent team have a stab at a new one.

I just want to play Suikoden 2, seriously, I downloaded Suikoden 1 on psn and I beat it twice, loved it.

Why won't they put Suikoden 2 on PSN, I don't see why they are denying me my destiny.

Aeana

Step 1 should definitely be trying to get Suikoden 2 on PSN. I think it's the bugs that prevented it but... man. : Still can't believe the lack of fan retranslation either.

A.E Suggs

Wait, you're saying that Final Fantasy 8 is better than Suikoden 2? That's a new one, I don't think I've seen that particular argument ever played out.

Yeah, 5 was alright but I honestly didn't even finish it, and that was after playing 1 & 2 probably 5 times each. 4 was boring at best.

5 is better than 2 to me and I played 2 first. If you didn't finish it you should go back and finish it. I think people are letting the Suikoden 2 hype get the better of them when playing the other games in the series.

Step 1 should definitely be trying to get Suikoden 2 on PSN. I think it's the bugs that prevented it but... man. : Still can't believe the lack of fan retranslation either.

Folks would rather do stilted, overly literal translations of Chrono Trigger and FFVI.

Anyway, I would like to see another Suikoden set in the original continuity, but I won't be holding my breath.

Any further sequels are pointless in my opinion without Yoshitaka Murayama, who was the director of 1, 2, and most (all?) of 3 before he left Konami; it's pretty clear they didn't know how to proceed or advance the story. 4 & 5 were prequels timeline-wise to 1-3, then you started getting the spinoffs. It makes me sad because Suikoden 2 is probably my second favorite game of all time.

However it IS ridiculous that at the very least Suikoden 2 hasn't been released on PSN. Given that they passed on the Suikoden I + II PSP game, it seems like they're passing up free money. It has a fan following and would sell well, especially since it goes for so much on ebay. And it can't be an aversion to putting the series on there in general since Suikoden 1 is on PSN. It's baffling. Definitely behind you guys on that one!

Pretty sure that was SCEA's same old stupid "how dare you try to re-release old 2D games on our new 3D system" bullshit. Why they didn't release a PAL version instead, I've no clue though.

But yeah, I agree with you on everything else, especially continuing the series without Murayama. The only really good installment they've came up with after he left was Suikoden V, which blatantly mimicked II.

Ferrio

Banned
It'd be sad if we don't get another game... the only thing I really care about is:

What is the deal with Jeane!?

Zephyrus

Banned
New suikoden just as good as suikoden 2 or bust.

Same gameplay, decent graphics and I'm in.

Suikoden 2 was amazing and it's one of the top three rpg I've played.

PS: BTW, if you own a psp, you "can" play suikoden 1 and 2. Unless your morals forbid you (felt like I needed to say this since a psn release is unlikely and at 250 bucks it's just not worth it).

SkyOdin

Why no mention of Tierkries? I thought it was a pretty decent Suikoden game. It wasn't on par with 2 or 3, but it was definitely better than 4. I thought it did a lot of really original and interesting world-building. It lacked a mass-combat or duel system, and doesn't share the same continuity as the original games, but it still lived up to the Suikoden name quite well. Sure it didn't have runes, but the core idea that the Suikoden series draws from it's namesake is the concept of the 108 Stars of Destiny anyways.

ReaperXL7

The first steps are indeed getting 1 and 2 released worldwide on psn. I personally would like to see all of the games put up on thed store since sony is now adding ps2 games to the store.

As for my favorite entires I really enjoyed all of them so putting them in order would be difficult , but IV is my least favorite of the mainline series, I love ii and iii, and really like i and V.

Getting 2 on psn would be a major enough victory for me personally.

Rootbeer

Banned
We'll never get another game that can approach Suikoden II. Why bother?

I'd still buy it. The thought of 1080p Suikoden has some sort of metaphysical effect on me.

MrDaravon

5 is better than 2 to me and I played 2 first. If you didn't finish it you should go back and finish it. I think people are letting the Suikoden 2 hype get the better of them when playing the other games in the series.

I tried replaying 5 just a couple of months ago, it just doesn't take for me. At this point it's probably partially informed by me knowing that we'll never get another one though.

Takao

Banned
This doesn't stop them for doing PS1 classics though...

So dub tee eff mate.

Suikoden 2 is riddled with bugs. Maybe it didn't pass QA?

Didn't they release a PSP game this year?
Or am I thinking of the dating sim?

Doki Doki Suikoden (2011):
cJRj7.jpg

It's a troll game made by Irem. No relation to Konami's stuff.

Genso Suikoden: Centennial Tapestry (2012):
y0mF4.jpg

New game in the Tierkries style series.

Grisby

I support this.

I never did play any of the other entries after 3 but man, those first games were quality through and through.

Yea I don't understand why SII isn't on PSN. They are being very square-Enix about it, in that "fuck fans, we'll continue to make awful decisions as we please" way. I sort of get the whole not having talent/competence at making a new, worthy sequel but slapping the existing game on PSN surely cannot be difficult.

Yea I don't understand why SII isn't on PSN. They are being very square-Enix about it, in that "fuck fans, we'll continue to make awful decisions as we please" way. I sort of get the whole not having talent/competence at making a new, worthy sequel but slapping the existing game on PSN surely cannot be difficult.

Takao might be right about the bugs failing QA. But hey, maybe we should rename the series Metal Gear Suikoden and Konami would suddenly start to give a shit.

sublimit

Banned
I don't think Konami is capable of doing a new Suikoden game justice anymore but i hope they will at least release Suikoden 2 and 3 on PSN
including the EU one
In Europe we never got the third game.:/

I love Suikoden 1. I own all of the others but am not as fond of them, although I did enjoy Suikoden 2.

I was hoping that when tri-Ace was teamed up with Konami for a couple of games, they'd team up for a new Suikoden, but no dice.

cj_iwakura

Uh, I hope OP realizes the creator of Suikoden left Konami after III.

Series is dead. III was the pinnacle. Let it rest.

ReaperXL7

I don't think Konami is capable of doing a new Suikoden game justice anymore but i hope they will at least release Suikoden 2 and 3 on PSN
including the EU one
In Europe we never got the third game.:/

Well its important to note that a lot of supporters of this are in europe aswell since the first goal is getting the first two games onto all of the psn store fronts possible, its my understanding that the original is not available on psn either in europe.

If we can push and succeed on that its entirely possible that we could succeed further, in the end it depends on fan support.

I am part of this movement. I would like for Konami to release Suikoden II on PSN and to make an HD collection of Suikoden III, IV and V. A localization of Suikoden I+II for PSP or Vita would also be nice, but that's a longshot, considering the game was released a long time ago.

ReaperXL7

Uh, I hope OP realizes the creator of Suikoden left Konami after III.

Series is dead. III was the pinnacle. Let it rest.

I do realize this but as the main point of the movement is psn re releases of the previous games this is not a major issue. We just not against fans requesting the series continuation if and when they speak out to konami. Also V was a great game and despite some issues I enjoyed iv aswell, if they had done some things differently it could have also been much better.

Top Bottom