• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Robot Wars Z2-2 |OT| - Thread of Outgrowing Galaxies with Manly Tears

Tsukumo

So I'm into the mid-30s of the story and it's definitely crazy shit going on.

Couple of questions:
1) when does Getter (any Getter) become available? judging from the prologues I'd thought I would get one right off the bat, yet on the japanese wiki there's no mention of it
2) is Schwartz playable/in the game?

Shouta

Couple of questions:
1) when does Getter (any Getter) become available? judging from the prologues I'd thought I would get one right off the bat, yet on the japanese wiki there's no mention of it
2) is Schwartz playable/in the game?

Early 20s
Yes.

Shouta

Alto's ace bonus is SO GODDAMN BROKEN.

Eh, not really. Well, it's better than in Hakai-hen because of the additional ability that got added but I'd say there's a lot more crazy good ones than his.

Anyway, I just finished 37 and it's good stuff. I just got
Basara's OVA song, Dynamite Explosion and they made a combination attack for it given to Gamlin, SO AWESOME. He gives Spirit Commands to people too which is insane.

A lot of the cast even from Z1 are getting new stuff like attacks and animations which blows my mind. They really put time into this. They've also balanced it out so almost all the units are viable as well. I was surprised to see some of the units that usually get the shaft, i.e. Airmaster and Leopard, get some love in this.

On that note, DX is AWESOME in this for a number of reasons.

Mandoric

Banned
Eh, not really. Well, it's better than in Hakai-hen because of the additional ability that got added but I'd say there's a lot more crazy good ones than his.

Eh, I'm seeing it as +3 to move / +500 or so to all attacks, PLUS that extra ability. Pretty impressive for where I am.

Just hit mission 14. SO MANY
V-FINS

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Plot question for those who've gotten past/have taken Stage 21/Dark Continent route...

So... whats the explanation of why the Gurren and Getter characters are much older than everyone else? Something to do w/ the explosion back in the Prologue?

Also:
Sweeeeet... Hayato's Super Robot army.

Shouta

Eh, I'm seeing it as +3 to move / +500 or so to all attacks, PLUS that extra ability. Pretty impressive for where I am.

Just hit mission 14. SO MANY
V-FINS

Well Fighter and Battaloid modes have trade-offs. More armor and firepower (on the weaker weapons) in B mode but less dodge. F mode has more movement and higher evasion but less armor and the lower attacks are weaker and you lose the knife. Plus is ISC maneuver is S in the Air in F mode whereas it's A in B Mode.

I almost never use B mode for Alto but for Michel and the others, I use it because of better attacks.

Best Ace bonus in the game is still Watta and Banjou's, to me. Just a shame Banjou always comes late.

Plot question for those who've gotten past/have taken Stage 21/Dark Continent route...

So... whats the explanation of why the Gurren and Getter characters are much older than everyone else? Something to do w/ the explosion back in the Prologue?

Also:
Sweeeeet... Hayato's Super Robot army.

It's because of the prologue.
So Getter/Gurren are fighting Shin Dragon and WMDs are launched to wipe out Shin Dragon because the army detected a build up of Getter Rays. Saotome panics and causes a Time-Space Quake that envelopes the Dark Continent again and changes the flow of time there. As a result, a year passes for everyone in the world but 10 years have passed on the continent by the time they've made contact again.

Mandoric

Banned
Well Fighter and Battaloid modes have trade-offs. More armor and firepower (on the weaker weapons) in B mode but less dodge. F mode has more movement and higher evasion but less armor and the lower attacks are weaker and you lose the knife. Plus is ISC maneuver is S in the Air in F mode whereas it's A in B Mode.

I almost never use B mode for Alto but for Michel and the others, I use it because of better attacks.

Also, best Ace bonus in the game is still Watta and Banjou's. Just a shame Banjou always comes late.

Fair enough. At this point he's so broken that the finer mobility points don't matter and it's just kind of "now when you fly him out in front, you can kill most of the first wave in one hit".

On the other hand, I think I've hit my first "real" bosses, maybe that'll change soon =D

Shouta

Fair enough. At this point he's so broken that the finer mobility points don't matter and it's just kind of "now when you fly him out in front, you can kill most of the first wave in one hit".

On the other hand, I think I've hit my first "real" bosses, maybe that'll change soon =D

Yeah, early on he can destroy all the waves pretty easily. Not so much later on though, lol. Same goes for most other units though.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
So Getter/Gurren are fighting Shin Dragon and WMDs are launched to wipe out Shin Dragon because the army detected a build up of Getter Rays. Saotome panics and causes a Time-Space Quake that envelopes the Dark Continent again and changes the flow of time there. As a result, a year passes for everyone in the world but 10 years have passed on the continent by the time they've made contact again.

Kinda suspected it was that... my theory before the game came out was
there was gonna be some sort of janky time travel/dilation/thingy kicking in, to explain the time skips for Gurren and Getter, although to be honest, I was hoping for time travel.

squall23

Ashford intermission, Valentine's day event. Everybody's so happy with their romantic interests then it gets to Garrod.

HA-HA, Tifa's not here!

Mandoric

Banned
Ahahahah, seriously, fuck Marilyn's dialog.
"Tsundere isn't cute when a guy does it". Makes Crowe's character click with me even more. =D

Tsukumo

They really did a great job with enemy quotes in Z2-1.

I remember the Beastmen freaking out everytime I hit them with a drill attack from any unit.

Right? Those little pests had some really funny lines ^_^

Placement. :v

placement? makes sense. Thanks.

Early 20s
Yes.

Thanks. Playing against bosses without Ima ga sono toki da is kinda lame ^_^.
By the way: I'm really surprised they didn't put Masurao bgm in this game. That is one kick-ass song: I loved the arrangement on the last Psp's G-Generation.

Jubern

I've been reading that here and there and I'm really curious as to what it actually refers to. Guess I'll know soon, Crowe is joining up next stage!

Mandoric

Banned
Mission 16? 17?
is FUCKING FABULOUS. The setup of Tieria dancing with Ribbons -while- Lulu and Schneizel play chess... :lol

The battle is nuts too. The skill point of farming while denying a third faction farm is nice and unique, the third faction is plenty farmable themselves, there's plenty of optional kills to pick up. I took out Gino -and- Anya with Kallen on the same turn, just after Uzaku suicided on HOLY FUCK SHINKIRO IS BROKEN (until it runs out of EN, at least).

Oh, and was that an event-only attack animation killing the eunuchs with Xingke?

hteng

Banned
finally finished Z2-1 with flowcharts completed, i only needed 1 playthrough and saved before any split route, since the flowchart is saved on a seperate system file, there's no fear of overwriting old info onto it.

took me like 4 days to finish the game (total about 32 hours), even with all the added money, it was still a long and tedious journey.

then when it was time to import the save, the new game wouldn't accept it! goddam i cursed the gods! i near ripped my psp in half in anger! all my preparation and work was for naught!

good thing a firmware update solved it. Now i'm on stage 3, so far so good.

edit:

awSLR.jpg

dat damage

http://i.imgur.com/PF3z4.jpg

dat brofist

Mandoric

Banned
Oh Esther.

Quatre: If we go to war with the A-LAWS, what will they do?
Esther: Lose!
Quatre: So you mean, lose military capacity. What does that mean for the A-LAWS?
Esther: They'll be in trouble!
Quatre: ... And what does that mean for us?
Esther: We'll be happy!

Tsukumo

Mission 16? 17?
is FUCKING FABULOUS. The setup of Tieria dancing with Ribbons -while- Lulu and Schneizel play chess... :lol

The battle is nuts too. The skill point of farming while denying a third faction farm is nice and unique, the third faction is plenty farmable themselves, there's plenty of optional kills to pick up. I took out Gino -and- Anya with Kallen on the same turn, just after Uzaku suicided on HOLY FUCK SHINKIRO IS BROKEN (until it runs out of EN, at least).

Oh, and was that an event-only attack animation killing the eunuchs with Xingke?

Just got through that mission and yes, this game keeps on giving.
Can wait too see if Amuro and Ribonzu have specific voice-over dialogue in battle ^___^.
Shinkiro seems too much Eva-like but i don't think it's a broken unit: the map weapon sucks a lot of energy, Lelouch is much more useful as buffer IMO, without C.C he's not able to evade for shit, and up until now the SR skill points that I had to put up with seem to take into account unit upgrades .
What did you do with Yuza? I barely made it and I had both Mazinger and Crowe with one point of weapon upgrade and Koji in full Soko-jikara (5% health)? Thank God I noticed Yuza had Guard before he got able to activate it...

Oh Esther.

Quatre: If we go to war with the A-LAWS, what will they do?
Esther: Lose!
Quatre: So you mean, lose military capacity. What does that mean for the A-LAWS?
Esther: They'll be in trouble!
Quatre: ... And what does that mean for us?
Esther: We'll be happy!

How about the mob that calls for damage repair when Crowe fights the Firebugs? ^__^ I cracked up

Mandoric

Banned
Just got through that mission and yes, this game keeps on giving.
Can wait too see if Amuro and Ribonzu have specific voice-over dialogue in battle ^___^.
Shinkiro seems too much Eva-like but i don't think it's a broken unit: the map weapon sucks a lot of energy, Lelouch is much more useful as buffer IMO, without C.C he's not able to evade for shit, and up until now the SR skill points that I had to put up with seem to take into account unit upgrades .
What did you do with Yuza? I barely made it and I had both Mazinger and Crowe with one point of weapon upgrade and Koji in full Soko-jikara (5% health)? Thank God I noticed Yuza had Guard before he got able to activate it...

How about the mob that calls for damage repair when Crowe fights the Firebugs? ^__^ I cracked up

I've yet to see Lulu's
Absolute Protection Field (lol) in action because nothing's managed to hit him yet, even before upgrades. His evade stat is actually only a couple points below the real robot aces and the Shinkiro's S size, so I'm guessing it's a landmine skill that will just let later grunts wipe out his EN with 500-damage machine gun blasts.
His buffs are still nice, but I'm working on getting him his (crazy as fuck) ace bonus so I'm not using them as much right now.

As for the original boss
Uther, I had Mazinger's weapons upped halfway, which was barely enough to nail him with Analyze and Lulu's All-Out Attack buff. A crit or using Exhaust probably would have carried me over too.
For me, the annoying part of that fight was Uther's morale gain as I moved Crowe up to get a fight in with Marguerite, just in case it's a recruit flag.

Edit: Holy shit, one of Lulu's counterattack lines is "Checkmate." Cracking up.

Bebpo

Banned
I've been playing this all weekend and am avoiding this thread for spoilers, but I just want to pop in and say Stage 17 is SO AWESOME. Epic!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Random musings #2:

Dynamite Explosion... one of the most epileptic seizure inducing attack animations in the game. Totally awesome.

Shouta

I'm on Stage 55 or so and almost at the end, I think. The story has been great. Crowe is also one of the best OG characters in ages. So good.

Mandoric

Banned
Shinkiro, meet FUB "Barrier cost -> 0".
Shinkiro's barrier, meet every enemy first wave for the rest of the game.

Edit: Enemy waves, lrn2aim, it's no fun trying out my new barrier when the one hit you even land all stage gets eaten by Miracle-induced Invincible.

Shouta

Oh man, I've gotten all but one of the Emblem and they're hilariously overpowered. I just gained 2170 PP in one stage using a single unit equipped with the PP related Emblem. Said doesn't even need it but the stage is so much easier because of him. The money related Emblem is insanely nice as well.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I've gotten all but one of the Emblem and they're hilariously overpowered. I just gained 2170 PP in one stage using a single unit equipped with the PP related Emblem. Said doesn't even need it but the stage is so much easier because of him. The money related Emblem is insanely nice as well.

At around what stage did you get your first Emblem? I know its not tied to the actual stage, but it should give me a general idea about when I should get one.

blind51de

Banned

Okay, so why are the 00 characters five years older?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

In the anime, there's a 4 year time skip.
In the game, I think they just fudged it and only had a year pass for the 00 characters.

Oh, and I also need another plot clarification:
Why specifically do those who had the Spheres (Setsuko, Rand, etc), have to sacrifice themselves to the ZONE portals? Is it a requirement they had to have had Spheres?

Shouta

At around what stage did you get your first Emblem? I know its not tied to the actual stage, but it should give me a general idea about when I should get one.

Mid-30s or early 40s, I think. It was the PP Emblem and ironically, I got it on Basara. It has the easiest requirement of all of them though.

Fudged, they aren't 4 years older like in the show. Setsuna looks a little older but you can attribute that to hitting puberty finally!

In the anime, there's a 4 year time skip.
In the game, I think they just fudged it and only had a year pass for the 00 characters.

Oh, and I also need another plot clarification:
Why specifically do those who had the Spheres (Setsuko, Rand, etc), have to sacrifice themselves to the ZONE portals? Is it a requirement they had to have had Spheres?

They were unable to destroy the ZONE portals with conventional firepower and the only way to stop it was by overloading it with Dimensional Energy. The Spheres could do that so they entered them to prevent them from sucking more energy.

blind51de

Banned
Fudged, they aren't 4 years older like in the show. Setsuna looks a little older but you can attribute that to hitting puberty finally!

The ages have changed in the character profiles, they've all aged 4 or 5 years.

This is kind of what I expected to happen. They can't be on the Dark Continent for the really big dimension-quake asspull, but for Geass to fit only 6 months or whatever can pass.

Shouta

The ages have changed in the character profiles, they've all aged 4 or 5 years.

This is kind of what I expected to happen. They can't be on the Dark Continent for the really big dimension-quake asspull, but for Geass to fit only 6 months or whatever can pass.

Character profiles could just list the age in the show and not in the game. Garrod for example is listed as 15 in his Character Profile but he's at least 16 or 17 now within the game universe.

blind51de

Banned
It's probably a bad time to say how I hate the way older-CB looks. Bad enough that only 00 has a, whatever you call a dynamic kill where the enemy sprite is sliced up or has a hole blown through them.

I'm only on stage 15.

It's probably a bad time to say how I hate the way older-CB looks. Bad enough that only 00 has a, whatever you call a dynamic kill where the enemy sprite is sliced up or has a hole blown through them.
Sound's fine. The lead character has dynamic kills for most of his attacks and the rest get it for their trans am attacks. More or less as it was in Hakai-Hen I think.

What bothers me is that Esther has no dynamic kill animations at all. At least none that I have seen yet.

Edit: Well Virtue and Dynames had dynamic kills for their most powerful attacks that weren't trans am because it wouldn't unlock for quiet sometime.

blind51de

Banned
It's funny how Tetsujin has one of them for one of his attacks, but it'll show even if it isn't a kill.
Must be a recurring thing from the show.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Mid-30s or early 40s, I think. It was the PP Emblem and ironically, I got it on Basara. It has the easiest requirement of all of them though.

Meh... I'm on Stage 39 now... looking at the requirements, I'm probably not going to get any Emblem until about Stage 50, honestly.

They were unable to destroy the ZONE portals with conventional firepower and the only way to stop it was by overloading it with Dimensional Energy. The Spheres could do that so they entered them to prevent them from sucking more energy.

Ah okay... but then wouldn't that be impossible in the first place?
I thought Asakim already took the Spheres from Setsuko and Rand/Mail already from SRWZ1, shouldn't they not have them at all?

Beth Cyra

Well I think up to Chap ?? or so, and so far I'm enjoying the game.

Got to say, I'm shocked at how early Setsuna gets OO Gundam, and how late it's taking to get the Wing plot moving in order to get to the Zero arc.

Haven't looked up how many chapters the game is, but I still haven't even hit the pilots going into Space so unless major changes happen Zero won't be gotten for awhile. That and OO's reveal was kinda tame for what I thought it was going to be. Granted OO Raiser will probably comeout with alot more fan fare but still it's odd that everyone has their final suit and you have Heero running around in Wing Gundam.

Jubern

Ah okay... but then wouldn't that be impossible in the first place?
I thought Asakim already took the Spheres from Setsuko and Rand/Mail already from SRWZ1, shouldn't they not have them at all?

Nope.
The final appearance of Asakim in the first part of the last stage ends up with him either being killed or leaving the field (which is really the same, since he's immortal).
I also think it has been mentioned that in order to get the Sphere, you actually need to kill the dude holding it, and they are both obviously alive. Asakim "raised" them in order to awaken the Spheres but failed to harvest them so far.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Nope.
The final appearance of Asakim in the first part of the last stage ends up with him either being killed or leaving the field (which is really the same, since he's immortal).
I also think it has been mentioned that in order to get the Sphere, you actually need to kill the dude holding it, and they are both obviously alive. Asakim "raised" them in order to awaken the Spheres but failed to harvest them so far.

Ah, yeah, that's right. Just double checked...
He only awakened the Spheres in those two, he didn't take them.

Well I think up to Chap ?? or so, and so far I'm enjoying the game.

Got to say, I'm shocked at how early Setsuna gets OO Gundam, and how late it's taking to get the Wing plot moving in order to get to the Zero arc.

Haven't looked up how many chapters the game is, but I still haven't even hit the pilots going into Space so unless major changes happen Zero won't be gotten for awhile. That and OO's reveal was kinda tame for what I thought it was going to be. Granted OO Raiser will probably comeout with alot more fan fare but still it's odd that everyone has their final suit and you have Heero running around in Wing Gundam.
Did you watch Season 2 of 00? Because hobo Exia gets blown to pieces in the first episode and Gundam 00 shows up in the next one. Arguably Hobo Exia stuck around in the game for far longer than it did in the show.

Beth Cyra

Did you watch Season 2 of 00? Because hobo Exia gets blown to pieces in the first episode and Gundam 00 shows up in the next one. Arguably Hobo Exia stuck around in the game for far longer than it did in the show.

Only part of it, though I did figure it was something like that from how things were presented.

It wasn't so much how quickly that OO showed up, but the relativily low key way it did so and how long they are taking to give Zero to Heero. As I said though, I guessing it's because the big time/cool reveal will be Raiser combining with OO.

It is just odd sending out Turn A, DX, Strike Freedom, Destiny, Zeta, OO and.....Wing Gundam. It's more a laughing/oddity point then something I would list as con or anything.

Jubern

I'm up to stage 20 and I'm really liking the interaction between Zero and other characters. I swear to God that if I don't get the choice in stage 49, I'm just going to beg the whole internet for a save that let me get the alternative route.

I've been re-watching several Geass R2 episodes tonight, as a matter of fact. It is the first time since the original airing I'm actually giving the final stages another look, actually, since I could never bring myself to re-watch R2 in its entirety. I'd watch R1 in one go, then lose my motivation throughout the first 10-or-so episode of R2 because of "Oh god the memories" syndrome.
So yeah, 18 to 21, and fucking hell are they all morons. Lelouch is as retarded as his pawns, but the worst was remembering all the hatred I had for effing Ôgi. It definitely is a fine piece of entertainment, but you can tell the whole series structure fell apart somewhere.
Watching the remaining episodes tomorrow, this is going to be fun.

Only part of it, though I did figure it was something like that from how things were presented.

It wasn't so much how quickly that OO showed up, but the relativily low key way it did so and how long they are taking to give Zero to Heero. As I said though, I guessing it's because the big time/cool reveal will be Raiser combining with OO.

It is just odd sending out Turn A, DX, Strike Freedom, Destiny, Zeta, OO and.....Wing Gundam. It's more a laughing/oddity point then something I would list as con or anything.

They revealed 00 exactly the same way it got revealed in the show. "Here you go Setsuna new mobile suit that uses GN drives from 0 Gundam and Gundam Exia. But we can't get it to work, so have fun." and then Setsuna shouts "Answer me 00! 0 Gundam is here, Exia is here, I am here! We are gundam!" and then it works.

Edit: Also the only difference between Wing and Wing Zero is the Zero system. Otherwise the suits function in exactly the same way. Oh wait the buster rifle can split in two, yeah. The mid season upgrades in Wing Gundam are pretty much nonexistent and are irrelevant.

Top Bottom