• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Swapper is a brilliant puzzle game (that got mostly ignored)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
No offense, but the majority of games are ignored these days.. there's just too many of them launching all the time.

It's been on my radar though, just backlog and all.. not sure I got time to invest into it. Your OP might make me try though next time it's on a wicked Steam sale or HB.

Honome

Fantastc gane. Anazing atmosphere and puzzles with a good story. Definitely one of the best games i played this year.

I finished first on Vita and after i completed i immediately started on PS4. The funny is that some hard puzzles were even harder solving the second time!!!

Alebrije

Played a lot of levels nice game need to finish it, saddly all that indie PS4 plus games need more time than I have. Specially with the Witcher 3 eating my gaming time and that that football/car game.

Lunar FC

I wanted to get this for PS4, hows it compare?

Absolutely loved the Swapper, the ending baffled me and had me in pondering thought for ages.
Was what I did, right?
I loved the story and atmosphere.

Totally unexpected gem.

Didn't play a lot of The Swapper but I though The Fall was fantastic. Great atmosphere, interesting puzzles and a great ending. Defiantly would encourage a fan of the swapper to at least give it a look.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
love the game, but fuck this room:

Rz5LdMN.jpg

(Image found by googling "swapper hard room".)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
One of my favs games. So proud of myself for getting all the orbs with no help.

One puzzle in particular...I was stumped for weeks...then one day it just clicked and the rest became easier.... Going back to do ones I skipped became easier.

Rz5LdMN.jpg

I think is the room I was stuck at...lol. This one and another one had me stuck.

Honome

Rz5LdMN.jpg

Lol, yeah! This was absolutely the worst room to clear. On my second playthrough i had absolute no idea how i cleared the room first time around!

I just played the game for the first time yesterday, as I was cleaning out my backlog.

Liked it a lot. The ending felt a bit disappointing to me though.
I decided to stay on the planet, but I had no idea that meant committing suicide. I wanted to just keep living amongst my new found rock friends and wait for a rescue ship with a quarantine unit.

RMI

Banned
I've heard a lot of positive things about The Swapper on Giant Bomb. Don't really know how other sites have covered it. I played a bit of it and thought it was neat but puzzle/adenture games aren't really my thing.

Atolm

One of my favourite games from 2014. The puzzles, atmosphere and soundtrack were superb.

I'd love a sequel.

Stoze

One of my favourite games from 2014. The puzzles, atmosphere and soundtrack were superb.

I'd love a sequel.

Yep, I agree. I really like the ending...
and both ways you could execute it as well

I don't think the art style got enough love, and I think it's because they overdid the in-game bloom/DoF effects. I was kinda blown away when I turned them off in the options and saw how much detail I was missing out on.

I hate puzzles games

Gave this a try (free on PS+ I think) and loved the setting but just the genre itself means I'll never get to experience it the way it was intended. When I played it, I just hit a puzzle - got frustrated (since I hate the genre) then put away never to come back to again.

Hopefully someone posts a cool walkthrough on youtube with the boring puzzle bits removed

paulogy

I absolutely love this game. Played it at PAX East one year, met the devs (nice guys), and couldn't wait for it to come out on PC to play it at home. Something about the aesthetic, subject matter, puzzles, and music all work together so well to create such a great and unique (to me, at least) experience. And one free of the usual time pressure, twitchy shooting, etc. It's something special to have the main game mechanic woven into the story like that. And that ending... hoo boy.
(I jumped)

I have definitely been championing this game every chance I get (hence this post, too), though generally stopped being so obnoxious about it once it went on PlayStation Plus free this past January (three way cross-buy!). As much as I love my Vita the best way to play is on a larger screen, in a darkened room, free of distractions :)

I loved this game when I played it on PS+ earlier this year. One of those games where I knew in the first few seconds I knew I would enjoy it. The atmosphere is instantly effective.

Shoebox

I thought the difficulty curve of this game was just about perfect. I got hung up a few times, but never looked up any solutions and got through it in a couple days. If you gave up on a puzzle and googled the solution, you missed out on some of the"aha" moments that the game provided so many of.

Also:
-spooky, abandoned in space atmosphere successfully achieved
-slick map system
-smooth controls
-great use of minimalistic graphics and sound to get the feeling of solitude/despair across without being utterly bleak
-just enough vagueness in the storyline and ending for the end user to let their imagination fill in the blanks
-novel approach to designing the set of the game

In short, I loved it. That and Antichamber were my two favorite indies of 2013.

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, it's really great. Fantastic atmosphere, great art style, amazing musics.
Not a fan of the few trial/error puzzles (the ones where you have to shoot while moving), but the other ones are pretty good.

This game grabbed me from the start with that music and atmosphere. It gave me some heavy feelings of desolation and dread and some points. Plus the puzzles were fun and logical. Wish I could wipe my memory to experience it all over again. Highly recommended.

Hope the guys behind this reveal what they are working on next soon.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I have started this game twice and failed to finish it both times.

I can't decide whether it's because I'm actually not grabbed by the game, or if it's just bad timing as I keep getting interested in other stuff.

Momentary

Banned
I don't think it was ignored. People talked about it when it was released. It went on to sell over 600,000 copies on PC. Needless to say, the game may have been bundled, but I don't think 600,000+ is ignored.

Portugeezer

I bought it at release on PS4 and was happy with it. Never got to completing it though, I think I barely scratched the surface (judging from trophies) despite having played for a few hours.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What ending did you all pick?

I swapped out.

Rz5LdMN.jpg

I love this room. The solution is so simple, and once you figure out you feel like a god damned genius. It is really clever how it plays with the mechanics to make you think outside your normal actions. You really need to think from many different directions for it. Fantastic.

I really enjoyed my time with it. I never finished it, probably something else came along and got caught in that. But it has great atmosphere.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Cool game. Think I lost interest somewhere along the way nearing the end... I haven't completed it yet, but I probably should.

Love the aesthetic, and the puzzles were a fair challenge, with only a few "fuck you" moments that I can remember.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing art and soundtrack. I want more from this studio.

Helmholtz

I really liked this game. The presentation is top notch, some really clean visuals and design. I really dug the dark scifi atmosphere.
Only complaint is that there's a bit too much text/reading for my liking, but it is mostly optional.
The puzzles are really good and the exploration is cool too. Ending was also quite neat.

EpochError

Neo Member
Brilliant game. I got all the orbs... or whatever you get for solving the puzzles, it has been a while. Loved the atmosphere and figuring out the story.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Puzzle mentioned in the OP is indeed the one that took me the longest. The other screen in this thread may have taken me a while too, can't remember for certain..

In general it seems my experience with these kinds of puzzle games is to forget most of my time with them once I've solved them... wonder why that is?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This is where my play ceased...loved the setting and narrative too, will have to YouTube my way through at some point

Ohhh dude you're SO close to the end. You should just try again, and if you can't figure it out look up the solution and finish it. It's worth seeing through to the end.

dlauv

It's good. I got kind of bored of it before I could finish. I wouldn't call it brilliant but I found it very good. I still have the badge as my main profile badge: "Hello?"

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Rz5LdMN.jpg

For me that was a pretty tough puzzle, but nothing compared to

My problem was that I was stuck in a
vertical state of mind, while the solution required you think horizontally,
if that makes any sense. When I finally got it after hours and hours, I realized every other solution I thought of was just thinking in the wrong direction. I also wasted so much time thinking
you needed to involve the first clone that's stuck down below somehow. I did mid-air swapping, slow-mo'ing, crazy stuff that led nowhere.

I bought it at release on PS4 and was happy with it. Never got to completing it though, I think I barely scratched the surface (judging from trophies) despite having played for a few hours.

The achievements don't have anything to do with progress though, they're just 10 hidden rooms that are extremely hard to find without a guide. A lot of people have finished the game without getting a single achievement/trophy. There are a couple you could get yourself, but most really require a guide.

Top Bottom