• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Swapper is a brilliant puzzle game (that got mostly ignored)

I came for the puzzles but I stayed for the atmoshpere. The game nailed the kind of mysterious alien (as in otherworldly, weird, unknown) science fiction setting I love.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I played the game briefly, very...but my backlog is kinda big these days. Not to mention the games I regularly play over and over cause I just get hooked.

I definitely have to give this game another go and finish it.

Majmun

Amazing little game. Had to seek for help only for one room. The same room as posted in the op, lol.

The game and especially the ending(s) made me think about my own body and soul. I love it when games manage to start a self-reflection.

Is The Fall a similar game? Saw it on PSN af few times and it reminded me of The Swapper.

Sande

Love the game, especially the atmosphere and story are brilliant. The puzzles got surprisingly difficult towards the end, which is great. I'm still mad at myself that I had to google one or two of them.

The aesthetics are the one thing I'd criticize about it. I don't particularly care for the cheap-ish claymation meets Little Big Planet level creator look and once the puzzle rooms start being full of red, blue and purple all over the place, it looks even less flattering.

NewGame

Banned
Game was incrediblely flat. I don't know how these indie games keep getting pats on the back because they scatter pages of a syfy novel around a world map. The puzzles are just arbitrary busy work to do between collecting muggufins to unlock more puzzle rooms and novel pages. The puzzles themselves seem to be pretty rinse and repeat with little variation on what you can do.

The game is not Metroid, can everyone please stop saying 'Metroid' and this games title in the same sentence.

Game was incrediblely flat. I don't know how these indie games keep getting pats on the back because they scatter pages of a syfy novel around a world map. The puzzles are just arbitrary busy work to do between collecting muggufins to unlock more puzzle rooms and novel pages. The puzzles themselves seem to be pretty rinse and repeat with little variation on what you can do.

The game is not Metroid, can everyone please stop saying 'Metroid' and this games title in the same sentence.
"Seem to be"?

How much of the game did you play?

And what made Swapper deserve its "pat on the back" was its haunting atmosphere, unique textured handcrafted art style, and smart puzzles. The game just oozes dread and tension, even though it's not even a horror game.

Majmun

I also was thinking about Metroid whilst playing the game. *shrug

I'd love a Metroid game with this style.

xinek

Loved this game. One of the best PS+ offerings IMO. The art style and atmosphere -- so good! A couple of times, I was pretty sure I solved at least one of the puzzles in an unexpected way, but after going to look up the "real" solution, it turned out the puzzle really did require that kind of creative solution. Really hoping to be able to play this again and that I won't remember all the solutions.

ZalXII

I remember solving the "hard" puzzle very differently and i knew it all the way. But i got so stuck with my solution that i just bruteforced it and looked up the right way immediately afterwards. Needed at least two or three dozen tries to get the clone positions and movement right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q4rBOgY4Y

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Loved it so much, I really hope the devs revisit the universe, maybe it doesn't have to be a sequel, but a game with a similar artstyle (because damn if the clay stuff doesn't look amazing) and tone would be sweet.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Aaaaaaand purchased.

I've got this via ps+ but never played it. I'll give a go tonight.

Okay, OP, you convinced me.
I have it dled but haven't played it yet. I think it's time I give it a try

You guys did good. It's a remarkable game, shouldn't be missed if you like puzzlers.

About the graphics in the game: there was someone who pointed out that he thought the game looked better with the bloom effects turned off and that might be a good idea, wish I tried that while I was playing. I agree that the heavy colored lights in the later puzzles ruin the look somewhat, and look too much like night clubs

Theodoricos

Incredible game for sure. Loved the puzzle gameplay, the atmosphere, and the writing.

Tom Jubert, the man who wrote it, is also one of the two writers for The Talos Principle, which I wholeheartedly recommend for anybody who liked the philosophical questions raised by The Swapper.

Majmun

Incredible game for sure. Loved the puzzle gameplay, the atmosphere, and the writing.

Tom Jubert, the man who wrote it, is also one of the two writers for The Talos Principle, which I wholeheartedly recommend for anybody who liked the philosophical questions raised by The Swapper.

That's one of my most wanted titles!!!

The Ps4 version should drop in october this yeat. Can't wait to play it.

The only thing I really disliked about the game was having to beat every puzzle to complete it. There were 2 puzzles that I just couldn't figure out (one of which just being plain unfair imo), and I hate having to resort to the internet to even finish a game. Had it been more like a Mario 64 type of complete-enough-to-beat-the-game and worry about 100% it later, I'd have no complaints.

Other than that, it's fantastic. Highly recommended.

Afrodium

Banned
love the game, but fuck this room:

Rz5LdMN.jpg

(Image found by googling "swapper hard room".)

I delayed a night out with my GF because of this damn room. It was itching my brain and I wouldn't rest until I solved it.

The Swapper is great. Anyone who got it on PS+ and hasn't touched it should really give it a go. Anyone without a "free" version who is intrigued should definitely hand over some money to the devs.

Daffy Duck

I delayed a night out with my GF because of this damn room. It was itching my brain and I wouldn't rest until I solved it.

The Swapper is great. Anyone who got it on PS+ and hasn't touched it should really give it a go. Anyone without a "free" version who is intrigued should definitely hand over some money to the devs.

I got it on Steam sale and when it was on PS+ and I've never even started it. :(

Loved this game. The satisfaction of completing a puzzle felt so good. Brilliant game. The there was one puzzle though...
Fuck that puzzle

^^^ yeah, the one posted up there a few posts.

I also loved this game, it did sell well but you never heard of people talking about it which is where the ignored feeling comes in. Maybe it's just not a game that can be really brought up in discussion/passing conversation... I don't know but everyone should play it, it's great.

Theodoricos

I really enjoyed this game and is one of my favorite PS Plus games. Somewhat off-topic, but how similar is the Talos Principle to this?

In terms of gameplay? It's also a puzzle game, but that's where the similarities end. It plays from a first-person or third-person perspective as opposed to the platformer view of The Swapper. Some of its puzzle elements resemble those of Portal and Portal 2.

In terms of writing? If you liked The Swapper's story, you'll feel right at home with The Talos Principle. Lots of philosophical themes, some of which overlap with those of The Swapper..

paulogy

For me that was a pretty tough puzzle, but nothing compared to
woXTh1r.jpg

I'm with you. i don't recall having an issue with the "hard puzzle" everyone else is mentioning, but I had to stop playing after grinding for hours on the one above. Then I came back to it a few days later and solved it in maybe the first or second try? Funny how that works :)

NewGame

Banned
"Seem to be"?

How much of the game did you play?

And what made Swapper deserve its "pat on the back" was its haunting atmosphere, unique textured handcrafted art style, and smart puzzles. The game just oozes dread and tension, even though it's not even a horror game.

Third section of the game, or whatever it was that required me to collect enough ball thingos twice.

Game did nothing, I felt nothing. What exactly are you dreading in the game? "Oooh I hope this puzzle isn't too hard!! I might spend too much time doing it and my tea will go cold! Terror and dread."

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I started it up today. How hard does the game get?

That's a really subjective thing... I'd say most of the puzzles are challenging but pretty much everything can be solved without a guide, even if takes a while to figure something out. If I got stuck, I took a break for a while and returned with a fresh head. There are two notoriously hard puzzles in the game, screens of both were posted here.

Those are the difficulty spikes, because all the other puzzles aren't nearly as hard as those.

I remember not really clocking that the game was claymation or any artstyle until after I beat the game. I just thought it looked kinda weird and forgot about the tin can spaceship because it was right at the beginning. How much is wrong with me?

mf.luder

Sorry for bumping.

I was trying to go through some backlog today and ended up playing this. What a gem.

HOLY FUCK. I loved it. And I want more.

The clones, gravity and timing and all that stuff was soooooo good.

I'm playing through it right now. This game is really hard for me. I generally don't struggle with puzzle games but damn, I am struggling with it and I'm only like 1 & 1/2 hours in.

mattp

since this got bumped, if anyone loves the swapper and hasn't played the fall, you should get on that. it's fantastic

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
since this got bumped, if anyone loves the swapper and hasn't played the fall, you should get on that. it's fantastic

Its actually pretty different in all but aesthetic but I also highly recommend the Fall. A really engaging and enjoyable experience through and through.

jett

D-Member
Yeah been playing this one too, and already can't solve two rooms that I really have no clue what to do to in. Oh well. Most puzzles are neat and I'm digging the atmosphere and the music but the difficulty seems kind of annoying.

Top Bottom