• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

Zafir

I'm in the same boat, mate. If it hasn't turned up by tomorrow I'll be making some enquiries.

I contacted them, got an apology about it not arriving yet and asked if I wanted a replacement or a refund.

I opted for the replacement, but I guess we'll see.

Vitacat

Currently have a plastic protector on, but have an amfilm on order. Looking forward to it. It will be my first tempered glass protector for any device. Sounds like it's the best way to go for Switch.

Kudo

Finally the torture is going to be over soon, amFilm was shipped and will be delivered on Monday.

j-wood

I just ordered the amFilm protector from amazon. So what are the rules after I apply it? Wait 24 hours before putting it in a case or back in the dock?

For the people that have the amFilm protectors, what would your opinion be on removing them? Any kind of adhesive left behind?

I don't want to assume that it'll be a perfect placement the first time or that the protector will stay on my screen for the rest of the console's life.

Tabasco

For the people that have the amFilm protectors, what would your opinion be on removing them? Any kind of adhesive left behind?

I don't want to assume that it'll be a perfect placement the first time or that the protector will stay on my screen for the rest of the console's life.
I would like to know this too.

Maybe I have a chance of removing it and placing it again, since it is not completely center. I have left it on there for almost a day now.

Weevilone

I had to take 2 shots at it but didn't notice any residue. There certainly wasn't anything that the alcohol wipes (included) didn't remove effortlessly.

I wouldn't advise to remove one to re-place. I had one little spot that looked oily or something, so I pulled it up in my steamy room. When I was done I had no oily spot but like 5 dust spots. There is just no substitute for minimizing the time between when you remove the protective film and when you slap it down. I suppose I have some issues with dry skin on my hands, so it's possible that's the source of my "dust". The alternative was to lotion my hands up, thereby increasing the opportunity to get some of that on/under the protector.

My amFilm screen protector and my Hori case should be arriving tomorrow. Finally, I barely pulled out my Switch from the dock in all these days.

dolabla

This little thing has come in handy for me:

61wo61ZsloL._SL1000_.jpg

It fits the dock+switch with joycons attached.

Doombear

I would like to know this too.

Maybe I have a chance of removing it and placing it again, since it is not completely center. I have left it on there for almost a day now.

Had mine on for about 10 days. Noticed the tiniest TINIEST hair under the glass (this was my second attempt, first was slightly worse) after a couple days. Dead center, so impossible for me to ignore.

Anyway, got my second order from AmFilm and took the previous protector off. Zero residue, zero anything really. Just slowly lifted off. Cleaned the screen with the new wet/dry wipes and applied my third screen flawlessly. This time no steam, just slow and steady AND compressed air. I also used the hinge method which, oddly enough, they supply stickers for but don't mention in the instructions. Thanks to the poster that linked that video a few pages back.

So yeah, no residue whatsoever after 10 days of it being on there. Not the longest timeframe for info, but it is something.

So I went and did it after a shower.

Make sure you put your hair up and wash really good. It's kind of surprising how easily hair just falls off of your face and stuff. Screwed up the first application because I had to lift it and lifted a little too hard, so a seal wouldn't form in the upper right corner. Second one was a breeze, no residue (although I just did the wet/dry wipe to be safe).

dolabla

Could you post some photos?

I'd also be interested. Can't visualize it well from the product picture.

Sorry for the low quality (my phone is just a regular phone with a very low quality cam), but here's a couple of pics:

5cn1axji

oam76k2p

It comes in handy if your house is dusty and you want to protect that vent on top of the switch. The inside of the cover it's soft. I'm not exactly sure what it's made out of (polyester, maybe?).

Meffer

Sorry for the low quality (my phone is just a regular phone with a very low quality cam), but here's a couple of pics:

5cn1axji

oam76k2p

It comes in handy if your house is dusty and you want to protect that vent on top of the switch. The inside of the cover it's soft. I'm not exactly sure what it's made out of (polyester, maybe?).

That seems that would obscure the vent from releasing heat.

Tabasco

Anyway, got my second order from AmFilm and took the previous protector off. Zero residue, zero anything really. Just slowly lifted off. Cleaned the screen with the new wet/dry wipes and applied my third screen flawlessly. This time no steam, just slow and steady AND compressed air. I also used the hinge method which, oddly enough, they supply stickers for but don't mention in the instructions. Thanks to the poster that linked that video a few pages back.
Noticing the claim on the back of the packaging, would they be able to ship a new set as a replacement at no extra cost?

I don't want to be greedy, but I did already mess up my other protector which was my first attempt.

Qasiel

I contacted them, got an apology about it not arriving yet and asked if I wanted a replacement or a refund.

I opted for the replacement, but I guess we'll see.

I got in touch too, but haven't heard anything yet. What doubly sucks is that I ordered a case for the Switch last night and it was only until I read the dispatch email that I noticed it was from the same people.

Fool me once...

5cn1axji

oam76k2p

wtf is the purpose of this other than trapping heat

Might be the wrong thread, but as I was giving my Switch a preemptive clean I noticed a speck of dust actually under the screen. Not entirely sure what to do here as I'm putting on my screen protector soon. Reckon it's worth just dealing with it, or engaging Nintendo?

Pic for clarity:

Did you ever hear back from Nintendo regarding the specks of dust under the screen? I'm in the same boat and not sure if I should send it in or return it to Amazon.

Zafir

Did you ever hear back from Nintendo regarding the specks of dust under the screen? I'm in the same boat and not sure if I should send it in or return it to Amazon.

I'd like to know this too incidentally.

I'm in the same situation with a spec of dust under the screen.

So far I've kind of just left it since I'd already put a lot of hours into Zelda, and they were out of stock at the Nintendo Store UK anyway.

Noticing the claim on the back of the packaging, would they be able to ship a new set as a replacement at no extra cost?

I don't want to be greedy, but I did already mess up my other protector which was my first attempt.

I'm curious as to how long it takes for Techmatte to respond. I emailed them from their website on Sunday and also last night from Amazon. No response yet :(

Mediking

Got my PDP case today (Mario version). Well, for a cheap case it is okay... I don't think the build quality is bad, at least on mine. Everything is in tip top shape, no hanging threads, no rips on the exterior, etc.

however there is one thing about it I automatically don't like... when the Switch is inside and the case is fully zipped up and closed, it takes a very low amount of pressure applied and you will hear the thumbsticks 'click', so little pressure that it's barely more pressure than if it were not inside a case at all.

I really want a case that offers a little more protection for the sticks. So, I will be looking into something else... but this will be okay for two or three weeks I guess.

I do like the pattern design on the outside, inside, and the Mario Coin as the zipper though.

I'd recommend this case if you want something cheap, offers some low level protection and you don't think you will ever have your case in a situation where it might get slightly 'squished' (like in a backpack)

As for my amfilm glass screen protector, i went to install it immediately after taking a shower to help minimize dust. I use this same brand on my iPhone 7 Plus and it worked perfectly on the first try... however this time I could not seem to get all the air bubbles out no matter how hard i tried, and just when I thought I got 98% of the bubbles out... I there was a dust particle right in the middle of the screen! I was pressed for time so just said screw it... I'll have a 2nd go with the spare inside the package sometime this week when I'm not rushed... my mistake. But that was actually the first time I ever failed to apply one properly, was a bit frustrating.

I'm super tempted to buy that PDP Mario Edition for Switch... recommend it?

Cuburt

My amfilm protector is coming next week but I just put on the screen protector that came with the official case. Looks pretty good but man, I was so careful cleaning it and putting it on and yet I still managed to get a couple tiny pieces of dust underneath. It's not really noticeable unless the screen is off or dark and there is a glare on the screen but it's annoying just knowing it's there.

Totally my own fault though since everything was going well until I peeled off the top half of the backing and was about to put it on when I realized that the bottom half is probably the better side to start with since it has the speaker cut outs, so I put the removed piece of backing back on after placing it down for a second, and just from placing it on the counter it collected the tiny pieces of dust it transferred onto the back of the protector.

Oh well. The tempered glass should be nice when it arrives.

Weevilone

My amfilm protector is coming next week but I just put on the screen protector that came with the official case. Looks pretty good but man, I was so careful cleaning it and putting it on and yet I still managed to get a couple tiny pieces of dust underneath. It's not really noticeable unless the screen is off or dark and there is a glare on the screen but it's annoying just knowing it's there.

Totally my own fault though since everything was going well until I peeled off the top half of the backing and was about to put it on when I realized that the bottom half is probably the better side to start with since it has the speaker cut outs, so I put the removed piece of backing back on after placing it down for a second, and just from placing it on the counter it collected the tiny pieces of dust it transferred onto the back of the protector.

Oh well. The tempered glass should be nice when it arrives.

It's always a gamble, but generally you can lift those at the end of the installation process to get rid of specs with tape. It's much more difficult to do with tempered glass.

//ARCANUM

Hey everyone, just installed my amfilm tempered glass protector on my Switch using the steamy shower bathroom method. Went pretty well, though I've got some bubbles that don't wanna move (they were the result of a big bubble I worked from the middle to here).

Any chance these will just disappear over time? Or do I just need to count myself lucky that this is as bad as I got it and move on lol?

Cuburt

It's always a gamble, but generally you can lift those at the end of the installation process to get rid of specs with tape. It's much more difficult to do with tempered glass.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll try it again if it bothers me enough. Part of me doesn't even want to put on the tempered glass protector now and just save it as a "just in case" measure since I've heard that it makes the Switch fit pretty snugly in the dock and even though the plastic screen protector can get more easily scratched, at least it's not the actual screen. I could just swap it out if it start accumulating noticeable scratches.

Karish

Small scratch on screen from dock. Decide to install the Nintendo screen protector that comes with the case to see if it would help cover it up, and it does! That being said, two specs got stuck underneath, luckily in bezel, and one of them is a permabent little airbubble because of it.

The question is do I leave it and be thankful that the only issue is super minor and on bezel, or do I remove it and replace with my AmFilm protector that's coming tomorrow!?

MoogleMan

Small scratch on screen from dock. Decide to install the Nintendo screen protector that comes with the case to see if it would help cover it up, and it does! That being said, two specs got stuck underneath, luckily in bezel, and one of them is a permabent little airbubble because of it.

The question is do I leave it and be thankful that the only issue is super minor and on bezel, or do I remove it and replace with my AmFilm protector that's coming tomorrow!?

Bubbles irritate the hell out of me.
I'd replace it.
Or you can try to use a piece of tape to life the protector where the specs are and use another small piece of tape to remove the specs from the protector. I've done this before for phones before I stopped using protectors on them.

//ARCANUM

I just tonight took off my "official" screen protector and replaced it with the amfilm. If you saw my above post - good news! The bubbles went away on their own in like an hour. This protector is awesome. It makes the screen nicer to touch, looks fantastic, and was super easy to apply. 10x better than a basic protector. So happy I went for it.

Karish

Bubbles irritate the hell out of me.
I'd replace it.
Or you can try to use a piece of tape to life the protector where the specs are and use another small piece of tape to remove the specs from the protector. I've done this before for phones before I stopped using protectors on them.

This one bubble is like a millimeter though.

Karish

I just tonight took off my "official" screen protector and replaced it with the amfilm. If you saw my above post - good news! The bubbles went away on their own in like an hour. This protector is awesome. It makes the screen nicer to touch, looks fantastic, and was super easy to apply. 10x better than a basic protector. So happy I went for it.
I'm a little concerned with my seemingly bent dock + the AmFilm making the switch thicker vs the Nintendo screen protector

My Ozrly tempered glass protector for G-Hub on Amazon UK is also missing, contacted them but haven't heard anything back yet. It was due to be delivered by 3 days ago :/

Meffer

I'm a little concerned with my seemingly bent dock + the AmFilm making the switch thicker vs the Nintendo screen protector

It's fine, the amfilm won't scratch that easily. I have velcro on both sides in my dock and amfilm protector on my Switch and I can slide it in fine. It's snug but it's slides in very easily.

Bowl0l

Hey everyone, just installed my amfilm tempered glass protector on my Switch using the steamy shower bathroom method. Went pretty well, though I've got some bubbles that don't wanna move (they were the result of a big bubble I worked from the middle to here).

Any chance these will just disappear over time? Or do I just need to count myself lucky that this is as bad as I got it and move on lol?
The bubble is on the bezel. No missing display real estate. Better move on.

AAMARMO

Banned
Ruined my Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protector that came today :(. This is due to the screen protector getting dust underneath and the dust sticker that didn't work.

Xdrive05

Just got my amFilm glass protector in the mail, and ready to apply. Is there anything I need to know before applying it?

Also is the bathroom steam thing true, that you should apply screen protectors in the bathroom with the shower running to keep the dust down?

EDIT: lol, nm, the instructions literally talk about the shower method

vgamer1

I've got the plastic Zelda protector on my switch, and near the bottom of the screen, right above the light sensor, there's a tiny little piece of fuzz that's really only visible on bright white screens.

It's really out of the way while playing, but it's bugging the hell out of me.

Do you think I should peel up the side of the projector with tape (in a humid bathroom of course) slide another piece of tape and grab off the dust, then lay the protector back down, or will this cause issues with the protector. It was originally applied on sunday night.

Okay fuck. I dragged my Macbook against my Switch and left a long but light scratch on the screen. Is there any way to...buff it out, I guess? I've heard toothpaste might work? I'm desperate here!

Ughhhh how did I do this already.

kaskade

Ones that small can, could take a couple days.

Crash331

I just installed my amFilm last night. Did it in the bathroom with steam. Went pretty well. It's just a fraction of a mm too far right, but that's ok. I only got one bubble from dust, but it's on the border and not the screen. I feel a lot better about docking it and carrying it around in handheld mode now.

I also got the Hori case last weekend. My coworker has the RDS case and it is a much better case. I couldn't wait on the RDS backorder, though, so I bought the Hori from Toys R Us. I have the RDS on a 2 month backorder on Amazon and will use it when it gets in.

Weevilone

I just installed my amFilm last night. Did it in the bathroom with steam. Went pretty well. It's just a fraction of a mm too far right, but that's ok.

It's tough to get them perfectly centered since you're trying to do it quickly to avoid dust. Even with the hinge method there is enough play to get it off a mm or so.

The people that nailed it are just really skilled lucky.

Glix

It's a dust cover. It's not to be used with the system on, otherwise it would block the vent. My house gets dusty really fast and sometimes I can go many days without playing.

Additionally it should be used when the console is removed, thereby preventing dust and particles from settling in the dock, and possibly scratching the screen next time you dock.

I just installed my amFilm last night. Did it in the bathroom with steam. Went pretty well. It's just a fraction of a mm too far right, but that's ok. I only got one bubble from dust, but it's on the border and not the screen. I feel a lot better about docking it and carrying it around in handheld mode now.

I also got the Hori case last weekend. My coworker has the RDS case and it is a much better case. I couldn't wait on the RDS backorder, though, so I bought the Hori from Toys R Us. I have the RDS on a 2 month backorder on Amazon and will use it when it gets in.

Weird, just installed my Orzly and that was a mm to the right as well.

Top Bottom