• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sword of Truth is some of the worst literature I've ever read...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

The fact that Kahlan passes out from pain if she tries to cut her hair is also pretty good.

Adie, the blind witch who cut her foot off with an axe because a poisonous crab bit it is also pretty fucking good.

Not to mention the vast beast (a "skrin" - Goodkind is so shit at naming things) that forms out of the bones she keeps scattered around her house.

More bones tumbled from the shelves. Bones hanging on the wall cluttered to the floor, some bouncing and flipping back into the air as they struck...bones collected in increasing number around the skull...a few rib bones ranked themselves, vertebrae slipped into line, talons tipped claws, leg bones erected to the side of each flank. The jaw snapped into place as the skull rose toward the ceiling.

And Zedd, the most powerful wizard alive, can't do a thing to it.

A squat, hairless figure with long arms and big feet dressed only in pants held up with straps, broke through the grass in front of them. Blinking yellow eyes gazed up at her pointing the arrow between them.

A sharp-toothed grin split its face. "Pretty lady".

It was the witch woman Shota's companion.

"Samuel !" Richard growled. "What are you doing here ?"

The beastly creature hissed and reached for the sword. "Mine ! Gimme !"

Oh, come the fuck on. A sibilant-voiced deformed creature longing and truculently snatching for for the magical item that deformed him.

And lol, the rape pit.

Prince Fyren leaned into the doorway, his voice echoing into the hole. "The Queen worries there may be rats down there".

"Rats ?" came a coarse voice from the pit. "There be no rats down here. Not anymore. We et them all".

And the naked warrior Kahlan.

Her voice came softly. "When those men of the Order see me, whether they think me a spirit or a naked woman on a horse before them, they will stare. While they are staring, they cannot kill our men. But we can kill them. It will divert their attention from the men, to me".

And Kahlan taking charge in the rape pit.

"If you do it this way, you will just be denying yourselves the full satisfaction of it."

They frowned. "What do you mean ?"

"If you're all fighting each other and me, you won't be able to really enjoy me as a woman. Wouldn't it be more enjoyable if I cooperated ?"

They all looked at one another. One to the side spoke up. "She has a point"

And Richard sending his furry friend away for his own good.

Richard took another step back. Gratch took a step toward him. Richard picked up a rock and heaved it at the gar. It bounced off his huge chest.

"Go away !" Richard cried. He threw another rock. "I don't want you around anymore ! Go away ! I don't ever want to see you again !"

Tears ran from the glowing green eyes, over the wrinkles of his cheeks. "Grrratch luuug Raaaach aaarg"

Amir0x

Banned
I remember all those moments pretty well, particular the nude Kahlan one:

Amir0x said:
remember when Kahlan told the broken army of Ebinissia the story about a tribe of warriors that used to fight the D'Harans wearing nothing but white paint and would get so aroused at engaging in fights they'd run into any battle with huge erections thus giving all of D'Hara an irrational fear of enemy combatants with erections and leading to her BRILLIANT STRATEGY of stripping her army naked and having her go naked with them so they'll get erections and frighten the D'Harans?

Fucking comedy gold mind this shit is haha

This is the single most hilarious idea to me in the entire book except perhaps the one about Kahlan's power being "the power of love."

It suggests things about Terry Goodkind's lack of writing talent that are so profound that I almost want to drop to my knees and praise glory to God.

Salazar

Amir0x said:
This is the single most hilarious idea to me in the entire book except perhaps the one about Kahlan's power being "the power of love."

So full of love, and yet:

She retuned to Demmin Nass, who stood where he had been told to wait.
There were tears in his eyes. "Please, Mistress, command me."
Kahlan pulled a knife from his belt, ignoring his request. With her other hand, she unfastened the flanged battle mace from its hook. "Take off your pants." She waited until he had pulled them joff and stood once moree before her. "Kneel."
The coldness of her voice sent a shiver through Zedd as he watched the big man kneel before her.
"Spread your legs," she ordered in an icy voice. She reached down between his legs, gripping him in one hand. He flinched, grimaced. "Don't move," she warned. He became still. "How many of the little boys you've molested have you killed?"
"I don't know, Mistress. I don't keep count. I've done it for many years, since I was young. I don't always kill them. Most live."
"Make a good guess."
He thought a moment. "More than eighty. Less than one hundred twenty."
I'm going to cut these off. When I do, I don't want you to make a sound," she whispered. "Not one sound. Don't even flinch."
"Yes, Mistress."
"Look into my eyes. I wish to see it in your eyes."
Her arm with the knife strained, and jerked up. The blade came up red.
Demmin's knuckles around the mace were white.
The Mother Confessor rose to her feet in front of him. "Hold out your hand."
Demmin held a shaking hand before her. She put the bloody sack in his palm.
"Eat them."

lol. Brophy the talking wolf is around here, too. The one Kahlan fucked up with her Confessor power, despite him being completely innocent.

Amir0x

Banned
hahaha i always felt when reading that scene that he had just read Sin City and just wanted to write in a scene where testicles get fucked

of course, he totally Terry Goodkinded the concept.

Salazar

Compilation of macho shit to say to women you're about to rape.

Credit to Westeros, and of course to Goodkind himself.

a) "you are mine, now"
B) You belong to me" (see a)
c) "to no one else."
d) "To me alone." (see c)
e) "I can do whatever I wish with you."
f) "You belong to me, now." (see a, B)
g) "Your fate is what I choose for you." (see e)
h) "You have no choice in what happens to you." (see e,g)
i) "None." (just to clarify, no choice means none, see h)
j) "Everything that happens to you is by my choice alone. (see e, g and h)
k) "She was better then he was. He was only stronger. He could only have her by force."
l) "He could never have her willingly because she was better than he was" (see k),
m) "He could never have a woman like her except by force" (see k, l)
n) "I want you to know who you are when I do this."
o) "you have to know who you are, first." (see n)
p) "You have to know. You have to remember who you are, you have to know everything" (see n, o)

troushers

Hahahaa. I'd forgotten about Gratch and Richard's bromantic wrestling. It's only through throwing rocks at Gratch that Richard finally understands the nature of the sacrifice that Kahlen made for him, though. I read through these books a long time ago, since the whole series was in the library and I was desperate for some fantasy reading (Obligatory face saving disclaimer).

He's obsessed with rape to an unnerving degree, and there's a weird thing about venereal disease used for revenge in the corrupt kingdom with the magic bell that kills enemies. So much of this sounds insane when it's isolated and stated baldly ie. the old wizards used a prostitute to make a magic quick transporter since she'd have anybody, man or woman. There's so much weird stuff with slavery and sadomasochism.

I mean here's what I remember off the top of my head
Raped female characters:
Richard's mother, Sisters of the Dark (repeatedly), Richard's trainer (when she was young, to make her into an evil woman), Swamp woman who sics her swordsmen onto Richard, Sisters of the Light (various), Women in that pacifist country, Redhead delivery girl in that pacifist country, Queen in the pit, Girls in destroyed city...probably more that I've forgotten.
Unraped female characters:
Warren's wife (has old face), Bone woman (is old, has one leg), Shota the Witch woman (as far as I can remember, only bit part character so probably hasn't been in it enough), Kahlan.

Its funny because the series discusses a book within it which was written by Richard's grandfather, a sort of primer for wizards with the gift of prophecy and how a book may have a secret meaning or purpose. I think the author thinks his own work has this hidden meaning which outlines some sort of coherent philosophy that he himself believes. The philosophy isn't subtle and its totally absurd.

Salazar

troushers said:
the magic bell that kills enemies.

The Dominie Dirtch.

Oh fuck, I hurt from remembering. I think it liquefies people.

Also, the 'mriswith' (lol) and their three-bladed knives called 'yabree'. I swear Terry smoked a mound of weed and came up with all of these names at about 3:30 am.

KJJal.jpg

It does have to be said, though, that for all that his theft from Robert Jordan is something to be deprecated, the Sisters of the Dark are less of a disappointment than the Blah Ajah.

The plot for the upcoming book is apparently as follows:

The Omen Machine will take place after Confessor, when a mysterious machine is found underground and begins to give predictions, most of which are seemingly benign, but Zedd believes the machine must be destroyed until a prediction is given that scares him to death; a prediction which, if true, will tear apart Richard and Kahlan's life as they know it.

I have to admit that I am fucking stumped as to what that prediction could be. I am hoping for a simultaneous reincarnation of all of their most wicked foes. All I know for certain is that shit is going to be bifurcated.

Xapati

WanderingWind said:
Heh. Yeah, I was making a joke. Dragonlance is cheesy to begin with. Anything beside the original three and the twins trilogy is magnitudes worse. The ones you're talking about are especially terrible in that it's basically Ultimatum in Krynn. And as bad as Mina was, the white-robed wizard (Palin...excellent name for such stupid character) who couldn't cast shit until he pulled Meteor out of his ass was much worse.

I really liked the original trilogy, the twins trilogy and the souls trilogy. Given I was pretty young when I read them, but I thought they were fun high fantasy books. The original trilogy is the best though.

Jenga

Banned
Salazar said:
I have to admit that I am fucking stumped as to what that prediction could be. I am hoping for a simultaneous reincarnation of all of their most wicked foes. All I know for certain is that shit is going to be bifurcated.
prediction: kahlan will get raped!

by someone she loves or some shit so they re-examine their relationship or something

then it turns out richard was possessed by his evil father and tries to rape her and kahlan must enter the spirit realm to free richard and take vengeance

holy shit fantasy is easy to write

Salazar

Jenga said:
prediction: kahlan will get raped!

Terry should do an online charity poll. Pay a sum of your choice to vote.

What do you think should make a comeback in The Omen Machine ?

1. The rape pit.
2. Jagang, aka Jagangbang.
3. Darken Rahl.
4. Testicle eating.
5. Naked and erect warfare.

And so on.

I vote rape pit

Salazar

Alluded to earlier, another gloriously insane speech.

He tore off a strip of dried venison and chewed as he watched Jennsen, Tom, Owen, Marilee, Anson, and a small group of the men finally emerge through the gates an make their way across the waving field of waist-high green grass.

"I'm hungry," Kahlan said. "Can I have some?"

"Sure." Richard pulled strips of the meat from his pack, stood, and handed a piece to both Kahlan and Cara.

"Lord Rahl," Anson said, waving, as the group joined Richard, Kahlan, and Cara in the shade of the oaks, "we wanted to come out to say good-bye and see you off. Maybe we will walk with you toward the pass?"

Richard swallowed. "We'd like that."

Owen frowned. "Lord Rahl, why are you eating meat? You just healed your gift. Won't you harm your balance?"

Richard smiled. "No. You see, incorrectly trying to apply a false notion of balance was what caused the problem I was having with my gift."

Owen looked puzzled. "What do you mean? You said that you must not eat meat as the balance to the killing you sometimes must do. After the battle at the fortification, don't you need to balance your gift all the more"

Richard took a deep breath and let it out slowly as he gazed out over the mountains.

"You see, the thing is," Richard said, "I owe you all an apology. You all listened to me, but I didn't listen to myself. Kaja-Rang tried to help me with the words revealed on the statue, the words I told you - Deserve Victory. They were, first of all, meant for me."

"I don't understand," Anson said.

"I told you that your life is your own to live and that you have every right to defend it.
"Yet, I was telling myself that I had to balance the killing I did to defend my life and the lives of my loved ones by not eating meat - in essence, saying my self-defense, my killing of those who attack me and other innocent people, was morally wrong, and so for the killing I'd done I needed to make amends to the magic that helped me by offering it the appeasement of balance."

"But your sword's magic didn't work, either," Jennsen said.

"No, it didn't, and that should have been the thing that made me realize what the problem was, because both my gift and the sword's magic are different entities, yet the reacted logically to the same unreasoned action on my part. The sword's magic began to fail because I myself, by not eating meat, was saying that I did not completely believe that I was justified in using force to stop others who initiate violence.

"The sword's magic functions through the belief structure of the sword's owner; it only works against what the Seeker himself perceives as the enemy. The sword's magic will not work against a friend. That was the key I should have understood.

"When I thought that the use of the sword had to be balanced, I was, in effect, expressing a belief that my actions were in some way unjustified. Therefore, because I held that remnant of faith in a false concept that had been inculcated in me through my life, just as all the people of Bandakar were taught - that killing was always wrong - the sword's magic began to fail me.

"The Sword of Truth's magic, as my gift, could only again be viable when I comprehended - completely - that the magic needs no balance for the killing I've done because the killing I've done is not only moral, but the only moral course of action I could have taken.

"By not eating meat, I was acknowledging that some part of my mind believed the same thing that the people here in Bandakar believed when we first me Owen and his men - that killing is always wrong".

"By thinking that I must not eat meat as a balance, I was denying the moral necessity of self-preservation, denying the essential of protecting the value of life. The very act of seeking 'balance' for what I'm right in doing is a conflict which is what was causing the headaches and also caused the Sword of Truth's power to fail me. I was doing it to myself."

Richard had violated the Wizard's First Rule by believing a lie that it was always wrong to kill because he feared it was true. He had also violated the Second Rule, among others, but most grievous of all, he had violated the Sixth Rule. In so doing, he had ignored reason in favor of blind faith. The failure of his gift and the sword's power was a direct result of not applying reasoned thought. Fortunately, with the Eighth Rule, he had come to reexamine his actions and finally realized the flaw in his thinking. Only then was he able to correct the situation.

In the end, he had fulfilled the Eighth Rule.

Richard shifted his weight to the other foot as he gazed at the faces watching him. "I had to come to understand that my actions are moral and need no balance, but are in themselves balance by my reasoned actions, that killing is sometimes not only justified, but the only right and moral thing to do".

"I had to come to understand the very thing I was asking all of you to understand. I had to understand that I must deserve victory".

~Terry Goodkind, Naked Empire

Salazar

Fimbulvetr said:
At first the thread made me wanna read this for the lulz, but after that quote?

Hell no. I couldn't even finish it.

The later books are worse for that kind of stuff. The action decreases and the bug-eyed ranting shoots way the fuck up.

The first few books are definitely crammed with lulz.

troushers

Another good bit I just remembered is where Richard carves a statue of himself and Kahlan that instantly converts Communists into democracy loving revolutionaries.

Salazar

troushers said:
Another good bit I just remembered is where Richard carves a statue of himself and Kahlan that instantly converts Communists into democracy loving revolutionaries.

And that filthy bitch Pasha, the Sister of Light assigned to train him.

Richard, Richard - focus on my boobs.

Since you mention it:

Nicci's gaze rose up the legs, the robes, the arms, the bodies of the two people, up to their faces. She felt as if a giant fist squeezed her heart to a stop. This was what was in Richard's eyes, brought into existence in glowing white marble. To see it fully realized was like being struck by lightning.

In that instant, her entire life, everything that had ever happened to her, everything she had ever seen, heard, or done, seemed to come together in one flash of emotional violence. Nicci cried out in pain at the beauty of it, and more so at the beauty of what it represented.

Her eyes fell on the name carved in the stone base.

LIFE

Nicci collapsed to the floor in tears, in abject shame, in horror, in revulsion, in sudden blinding comprehension.

...In pure joy.

LIFE, motherfuckers: jaw-kicking, testicle-sawing, lightning-bolts-on-your-face LIFE.

Amir0x said:
Anything particularly bad about it? Just curious because Martin made it sound like it was Harry Potter for adults done right

I don't know if anyone else has commented on this but The Magicians is pretty good but it isn't Harry Potter. It's more of a deconstruction of HP and the Magical Childhood genre in general, with a major theme being that magic doesn't make you happy.

Sir Garbageman said:
I dunno about that. I got 200 pages into the Gardens of the Moon before I gave up. Just uninteresting and impossible to follow.

Gardens of the Moon was a mediocre book. He wrote it years before the others, didn't have as much experience with the trade and it suffered. The others are written much better though. He always has issue but the books are generally solid enough that they're worth it. I think he tried to hard for an "epic" ending to the series though, and the last two books are a little worse than the others. Still very solid.

irriadin

NovemberMike said:
Gardens of the Moon was a mediocre book. He wrote it years before the others, didn't have as much experience with the trade and it suffered. The others are written much better though. He always has issue but the books are generally solid enough that they're worth it. I think he tried to hard for an "epic" ending to the series though, and the last two books are a little worse than the others. Still very solid.

Gardens of the Moon is incredibly convoluted and confusing. There's some great payoff at the end of the novel though, and the second book is absolutely incredible.

After re-reading it, GotM isn't as bad as I remember it, but it's certainly daunting for newcomers, which is unfortunate.

Vinci

Danish
Amirox... I'm saying this right now, with all respect...

Your example conversation in the OP was better than anything I read in the first book. You should re-write it - the whole thing - in the same way. Then maybe, I could read it.

Puddles

Banned
Amir0x said:
yeah on the scale of awful, I'd say Sword of Truth is right with Twilight and Anne Rice novels anything written by Ben Stein at a 0/10. Zero Stars out of Four.

I've read about 50 pages of Interview With the Vampire, and that's the full extent of my Anne Rice experience. But her writing ability seemed to be several orders of magnitude above Twilight or Sword of Truth, based on what I read.

Puddles

Banned
Salazar, how is it that you've not only apparently read all the books, but you know them well enough to find these quotes so effortlessly?

Quixzlizx

I'm guessing I'm old here, but Terry Goodkind is a hardcore objectivist who's following in Ayn Rand's footsteps by releasing terrible fiction to make some sort of point.

aku:jiki

Oh my god. I don't usually read these kinds of books (not knocking them, just not my taste) so I hadn't heard about this guy, but he's amazing! Not just awful book passages, but the insane interview quotes and the fact that he looks exactly like a child rapist!

Thanks to everyone in this thread who pained through this shit so they could share the hilarity!

Ichabod

Banned
Want to thank you guys for the lulz provided by this topic, especially Sal's deconstruction of old man Goodkind's work. I'm ashamed to admit I trudged through this entire series. The criticisms of this magnum opus of corn-studded shit have been completely on point and echo many of the same lolwut moments I experienced as I suffered through it. Bravo gents!

Skilletor

Ichabod said:
Want to thank you guys for the lulz provided by this topic, especially Sal's deconstruction of old man Goodkind's work. I'm ashamed to admit I trudged through this entire series. The criticisms of this magnum opus of corn-studded shit have been completely on point and echo many of the same lolwut moments I experienced as I suffered through it. Bravo gents!

Same boat. I started the series when I was young enough to think any fantasy cool. As I grew older I realized the series was shit, but felt I had to see it through. I actually didn't manage to finish the last book in the series. I was about 200 pages deep before I threw the book across the room.

I've had many a laugh at this thread.

My only worry is that I'll feel the urge to read the further adventures of Kahlan and Richard Rahl when the newest book is released...lol.

Necrovex

I realized this is a necro bump, but I'm reading through Wizard's First Rule at the moment, and pretty much what Amir0x and everyone else wrote out is pretty accurate. This book is the definition of uninspired, bland, idiotic, and boring writing. This thread deserves a bump so people can remember why Goodkind is a bad writer whose ego is gigantic enough to think he's a better writer than Cormac McCarthy.

It's also weird since I remember actually enjoying Legend of the Seeker (the first season at least, the ending pissed me off) when that first came out. I would probably dislike it now, but I doubt I would dislike it as much as this dread I have for the first book. Ugh, I should continue reading through this dribble, so I can read actual literature!

Fusebox

Banned
Never even heard of this Sword of Truth shit, I would have bailed five pages in from what I've seen but booooo for starting your thread with a shot at Harry Potter.

I don't understand why people even call this book decent, ignoring how some like it!
I've met people who like it. They say things like, "The characters are super well developed and believable" and "Goodkind doesn't abuse those fantasy cliches like other authors do."

The people who like these books are dirty, dirty liars.

A Wizard's First Rule is the worst book I've ever read. There's literally nothing redeemable about it.

Agreed. I LOVE fantasy, and I can list the books I started and DID NOT finish on one hand. That book made me physically angry.

Also, Amir0x deserves to be banned for not liking Harry Potter.

Necrovex

I've met people who like it. They say things like, "The characters are super well developed and believable" and "Goodkind doesn't abuse those fantasy cliches like other authors do."

The people who like these books are dirty, dirty liars.

They may have never read a book outside of that series. Otherwise, something is wrong with their brains. :-(

Agreed. I LOVE fantasy, and I can list the books I start and DID NOT finish on one hand. That book made me physically angry.

Also, Amir0x deserves to be banned for not liking Harry Potter.

Goodkind is the Stephanie Myers of the fantasy genre.

Goodkind is the Stephanie Myers of the fantasy genre.
Thing about that is, I feel like Meyer really tried when she wrote Twilight. She put her heart into it. Goodkind just picked a genre and vomited out garbage for a quick buck.

I respect Meyer as a writer more than I do Goodkind.

Nakho

I realized this is a necro bump, but I'm reading through Wizard's First Rule at the moment, and pretty much what Amir0x and everyone else wrote out is pretty accurate. This book is the definition of uninspired, bland, idiotic, and boring writing. This thread deserves a bump so people can remember why Goodkind is a bad writer whose ego is gigantic enough to think he's a better writer than Cormac McCarthy.

It's also weird since I remember actually enjoying Legend of the Seeker (the first season at least, the ending pissed me off) when that first came out. I would probably dislike it now, but I doubt I would dislike it as much as this dread I have for the first book. Ugh, I should continue reading through this dribble, so I can read actual literature!

Goodkind is a douchbag, sure, and I can see him saying something like that. However, that was Nicholas Sparks own brand of shitty quotes.

Having read the entire series I can confirm that it will take the equivalent of months worth of showers to wash this trash out of your mind.

It's a shame because you actually LIKE reading it, piece by piece, until you actually stop and think back to what you've been reading and realize that the plot is garbage.

Necrovex

Goodkind is a douchbag, sure, and I can see him saying something like that. However, that was Nicholas Sparks own brand of shitty quotes.

Whoops! I went back to the post a Gaffer was talking about, and I didn't realize he switched the topic from Goodkind to Sparks when he started to post quotes. I was wrong on that account! Thanks for the correction.

Having read the entire series I can confirm that it will take the equivalent of months worth of showers to wash this trash out of your mind.

It's a shame because you actually LIKE reading it, piece by piece, until you actually stop and think back to what you've been reading and realize that the plot is garbage.

How did you have the willpower to power through the entire series? I am struggling on reading the first novel.

Edit: I also want to poke fun at the relationship between Kahlan and Richard, in under a day, they are BIFFLEs and want to be together forever. At least Twilight actually gave the characters *some* time before they wanted to be lovers for life.

I made it up to Faith of the Fallen, at which time it became waaaay to much author tract for me (and that's despite me being more sympathetic to some elements of libertarian philosophy than most of GAF). I admit to thinking that the first book was decent overall even if it has some troubling elements but the series really did just get worse and worse as it went on. Though looking back at publication dates that may also be because I apparently started reading this series when I was ~12 which may explain how I initially missed some of the issues,

I read some *horrible* novels in high school and thought they were good. Youth is able to tolerate so much literary garbage.
Yeah. I've gone through some of the books I read in the long ago, and god damn I had no standards.

Somehow I think if I had stumbled upon Goodkind when I was thirteen, I'd have a shelf of his shit.

Necrovex

Yeah. I've gone through some of the books I read in the long ago, and god damn I had no standards.

Somehow I think if I had stumbled upon Goodkind when I was thirteen, I'd have a shelf of his shit.

I expect the majority of people who read The Sword of Truth and love it must have started in middle and high school.

God, I hate these books. My dad was always trying to get me to read them, but I just couldn't get past the first one. The series' TVtropes page is a pretty entertaining read, though, so they're not entirely without merit :p

I expect the majority of people who read The Sword of Truth and love it must have started in middle and high school.

I had already been exposed to the Dresden Files by that point; no going back after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom