• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Talos Principle |OT| It's Serious Puzzling, Sam (PS4 port out now!)

Sciz

Spoilery question:

I've collected all grey pieces, now how do I access the messenger ending? I haven't noticed any grey 'tetris puzzle' doors.

In increasing order of spoileriness:

There's still one place in the game you haven't been to yet.

All of the gray puzzle areas have terminals. Weren't there some unusual files on those?

You need to unlock the last floor of the tower.

You probably noticed some strange signs in the gray areas. Those are important.

In increasing order of spoileriness:

There's still one place in the game you haven't been to yet.

All of the gray puzzle areas have terminals. Weren't there some unusual files on those?

You need to unlock the last floor of the tower.

You probably noticed some strange signs in the gray areas. Those are important.

Ooooh I got it. Thanks!

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I would like to bump this thread up because I was at a friends house playing this for a night and this game is absolutely fantastic.

It has great puzzles.
The atmosphere is good.
The story makes you think while you think about the puzzles.

I am usually not that into puzzle games, but all I could think about yesterday was "I hope he doesn't play that game alone because I want to see the puzzles and the story. I should call him."

Buy it. 100% buy this.

Blizzard

Banned
The game gets periodic bugfix updates, and when checking one today I just realized there's 4-episode DLC planned. The first one (or the whole thing?) is called "Road to Gehenna".

For people like me who haven't finished the game, the Steam news description may have spoilers, so beware.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/257510/announcements/detail/239029130351739594

I still want to finish the Talos Principle, but I'm still a little bummed by how long the last puzzle looked like it would take, combined with how long it looked like it would take to replay the entire game so I can get all the achievements. :p

Unit24

I don't know how to get the DLC. Is it just a free patch right now? Steam says I don't have any DLC purchased.

Sini

Did they break collision between recording objects and "real" objects in last patch? I have played for 25 hours and I'm actually not 100% sure if it has been always like that, lol.

Edit: Nevermind. It has always been like that, I just only noticed it in one of very last puzzles.

Aaron D.

Yeah, I thought the Sam DLC was just the original SS voice actor reading the Elohim script word for word, but it turns out that it's completely new material, written wise-cracking Serious Sam style.

It's so surreal to have Serious Sam trolling you throughout the whole game. A hilarious juxtapose to the normally stoic tone of the game.

Can't believe it's free for everyone.

Unit24

I'd start a new game with the Sam voice pack if it didn't mean having to delete my save from near the end of the game.

balohna

It keeps freezing for me. I even dropped the graphical settings way below what I should be using and it still happened. About every 45 minutes it will happen. I need to hard reboot my PC every time.

Enjoying the game otherwise.

Chris R

Picked this up with the 50% off sale over the weekend and I'm having a blast.

Only complaint so far? I wish I could turn off the lighting flashes.

Haven't had much of a challenge puzzle wise yet but I'm trying to complete everything and haven't played but three hours.

Blizzard

Banned
Picked this up with the 50% off sale over the weekend and I'm having a blast.

Only complaint so far? I wish I could turn off the lighting flashes.

Haven't had much of a challenge puzzle wise yet but I'm trying to complete everything and haven't played but three hours.
The puzzles didn't get extremely complicated for me (though I didn't finish the very end of the game yet), though some of the tetris block puzzles can take a while, and a few of the laser puzzles get pretty tricky.

It's satisfying but not incredibly difficult, if that makes sense. The stars can get really obscure if you like hunting for those, and I remember a very satisfying puzzle or two once lasers and fans get involved.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this is probably the best thing I've played in a long time, you should buy it

Steamrolled through the game in I suppose it's been, 3 days since it went on sale? Wonderful experience. I ended up
ascending the tower and being ejected from the simulation.

I really enjoyed the puzzles and even though I got to a point where I was flying through the red sigils seeing them unravel especially with
the recorder
was always delightful. I think the one I got stuck on for the longest was Whoosh! despite the solution taking maybe 30s to set up. Just wasn't in the frame of mind yet, plus I had a monster headache. Deception was an early highlight
aptly named too

Barely collected any stars now that I think about it. I recall seeing some behind blue glyphs without a blue laser in the puzzle room. Is there a way to convert red to blue? It sounds nuts but I've never seen it the other way around.

Oh and my recordings jumped from 13 to 20ish going to the tower, guessing there's a lot I've left behind.

BHK3

Banned
Steamrolled through the game in I suppose it's been, 3 days since it went on sale? Wonderful experience. I ended up
ascending the tower and being ejected from the simulation.

I really enjoyed the puzzles and even though I got to a point where I was flying through the red sigils seeing them unravel especially with
the recorder
was always delightful. I think the one I got stuck on for the longest was Whoosh! despite the solution taking maybe 30s to set up. Just wasn't in the frame of mind yet, plus I had a monster headache. Deception was an early highlight
aptly named too

Barely collected any stars now that I think about it. I recall seeing some behind blue glyphs without a blue laser in the puzzle room. Is there a way to convert red to blue? It sounds nuts but I've never seen it the other way around.

Oh and my recordings jumped from 13 to 20ish going to the tower, guessing there's a lot I've left behind.
The secrets are "rule breaking and will unravel your mind" - the developers.

There was 0 way for me to find the solution to some of the secrets because you have to do glitch like maneuvers to figure them out, also one of them involves having a smart phone that can read QR codes and I don't have a smart phone...thx croteam.

Blizzard

Banned
The secrets are "rule breaking and will unravel your mind" - the developers.

There was 0 way for me to find the solution to some of the secrets because you have to do glitch like maneuvers to figure them out, also one of them involves having a smart phone that can read QR codes and I don't have a smart phone...thx croteam.
There are online QR decoders if anyone wants to go down that rabbit hole: http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx

Just bought the game and really enjoying it so far, but some of the solutions to the stars are wayyyy more obscure than they need to be.

For instance A4, how the hell was I supposed to see that focusing lens in the tree?

Blizzard

Banned
Some of the stars are super obscure, but there are also moments that are incredibly satisfying where you manage to "break" the levels in some sense and accomplish something non-obvious.

I became pretty experienced at using jump and pickup height to get out of levels, and sometimes you would get somewhere strange and nothing would be there...but other times, your patience and jumps might pay off, and you might find an easter egg or see something you needed for a star.

The
snowy mountain
level alone had at least 3 easter eggs, 2 of which were awesome...and I don't think those even had anything to do with stars. For anyone who didn't find any easter eggs in that level, by all means ask, because they're worth doing in my opinion.

Some of the most memorable puzzle-solving moments for me, possibly involving stars, were: (PUZZLE SPOILERS)
On the snowy mountain level, having a spiderweb of lasers through the sky from one puzzle to another, with a bunch hitting a single lens hovering high in the air over a fan.

On a medieval level, I was supposed to use lasers through windows to solve a star puzzle. I went back and did it that way to make sure I could. BUT, the first time I solved it, I seem to recall painstakingly stealing items from a different puzzle, carrying them out of a giant castle over the roof, and bringing them to the star puzzle.

see5harp

I haven't gone back and looked for stars or easter eggs, but for the most part I'm having a good time. So glad I got this on sale. I think it's a great game but I feel like $50 on console is a bit too high.

Gilby

I just finished the second ending, I think I may actually go after the third. What an excellent game and excellent storytelling!

Blizzard

Banned
I just finished the second ending, I think I may actually go after the third. What an excellent game and excellent storytelling!
I have yet to finish the final puzzle, so SPOILER QUESTION about how to get the endings:

I'm guessing the first ending is walking into the lighted door from the big hallway. I did that one. I'm guessing the second ending is solving the final puzzle on the tower? And the third ending would be getting all the stars and then going to the tower's top level?

Inkwell

Banned
I have yet to finish the final puzzle, so SPOILER QUESTION about how to get the endings:

I'm guessing the first ending is walking into the lighted door from the big hallway. I did that one. I'm guessing the second ending is solving the final puzzle on the tower? And the third ending would be getting all the stars and then going to the tower's top level?

You're mostly correct. There's a little bit more going for #3.

Unit24

So whatever happened to the DLC that was announced months ago? As far as I know, there hasn't been a single update on it since the initial announcement.

So whatever happened to the DLC that was announced months ago? As far as I know, there hasn't been a single update on it since the initial announcement.

I think the PS4 version has the higher priority at the moment. I'm expecting more info after that or just before that.

Sciz

road_to_gehennakhsug.png

Launch Trailer

$15 (before a 10% first week discount and standard regional pricing), 672 MB.

The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna follows the narrative of Uriel, Elohim's messenger, as he explores a strange, hidden part of the simulation on a mission of mercy and redemption in an attempt to free the souls of the damned at all costs.

This substantial expansion consists of four episodes that take experienced players through some of the most advanced and challenging puzzles yet. The Talos Principle writers Tom Jubert and Jonas Kyratzes have returned to pen the expansion and show players an entirely different side of Elohim's world through a journey to Gehenna filled with new characters and a new society with its own history and philosophy.

The base game is also one of the Steam weekend deals for $13.59, and personally the $40 I paid at launch was more than worth it. Getting it and Gehenna for ~$27 is a package that I can't recommend highly enough (although if you're in this thread and have somehow held off buying it for this long - what are you doing).

Blizzard

Banned
I -still- have to finish the main game, maybe this weekend.

I picked up the DLC for a net $1.73 USD thanks to selling a few cards plus TF2's contract case drops. That campaign will have paid for itself AND Talos if I get a few more drops, thanks Valve.

I -still- have to finish the main game, maybe this weekend.

I picked up the DLC for a net $1.73 USD thanks to selling a few cards plus TF2's contract case drops. That campaign will have paid for itself AND Talos if I get a few more drops, thanks Valve.

Same here, but I'm a completionist and I get frustrated every time I try find all the bonus stars before moving to a new hub -_-

Blizzard

Banned
Same here, but I'm a completionist and I get frustrated every time I try find all the bonus stars before moving to a new hub -_-
I had the same problem. I thought I could get all the achievements in a single playthrough, and nearly did, except possibly ONE. Achievement spoilers for the base game:

As soon as I could, I visited the tower. Apparently one achievement is only possible if you wait as LONG as possible to visit the tower. I have to replay the entire game, solving all puzzles in all worlds, in order to get that one achievement as far as I'm aware.

wouwie

The official twitter recently stated that the PS4 version is Q3 2015. Phew, i'm glad it's not cancelled. It's been a long wait but i'm sure it's going to be worth it in the end.

Ionic

I'm a couple hours into the expansion and so far I really like it. The way they've created characters is really unique. They've also written enough natural sounding dialogue that it does kind of feel like you're having conversations. I'm excited to see where the story goes. Also, it's beautiful. Prettier than anything even in the original game.

Feep

Banned
Expansion is already tough as nails. Got stuck on two puzzles, but as is my wont, I moved on. Often times other levels will have me do things that make earlier puzzles obvious in retrospect.

Nothing new here...same music, same environments, same structure...but Talos is amazing so this is not a problem. = D

Bought the DLC but still at work. Does the DLC also have the chinese dubbing? I played through the main game like that and they used some pretty prominent chinese documentary voice actor to do that and it sounded great.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This new stuff is HARD!

Top Bottom