• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The texture work in Witcher 3 was very bad by my weird standard.

Anyways, have some wholesome DLC textures.

27686923116_979a30a7f5_o.jpg

27681307385_d92b7e85d9_o.jpg

26934542694_57346084de_o.jpg

And even when the textures aren't amazing, the visuals overall still look absolutely gorgeous by today's (read: my weird) standards.

I also love HZD and think it's a gorgeous game. But geez, what a crazy comparison. I WISH CDPR had that sweet Sony first party studio budget and only had a single platform to develop for. Lordy, that'd be something.

Budi

Bad stool, full of dirt, but the woodwork still shows it's strength, there's depth to the textures and it's not all flat.....The hole seems to be a bug....
Why would it be a bug? It's a regular stool, there's nothing wrong with it. We have gone from bad textures to buggy textures now.

Edit: Found another one at Kaer Morhen
Edit2: Aaaand the joke flew over my head.

I noticed that lots Horizon's textures are on lower res. They're just good at hiding them with the artstyle and filters.

Aka game development.

Gamers get too hung up with #'s of shit. Making super high quality textures is a very minimal part of game development, all game artists can do that. When gamers get all impressed by a mod that just gives 4k textures to everything is always obnoxious to me...

mephixto

Banned
Why would it be a bug? It's a regular stool, there's nothing wrong with it. We have gone from bad textures to buggy textures now.

Edit: Anyone can say for sure where it's located? I need to go and check it closer.

Hahahaha!! I'm just mocking a post of OP, your stool is fine.

Budi

Hahahaha!! I'm just mocking a post of OP, your stool is fine.
Oooooh =D Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Witcher 3 stool. After Neith tried to criticize the chair because of that hole (twice), I don't know what is happening anymore and who is serious.

HF2014

Ehhh hmm. Witcher 3 got bad textures? If one of the thing that amaze me the most in this game was the story, i can tell you the graphics and environment were my second "wow effect" when i played it. Never think it need a graphic upgrade. Sure the demo they show and seeing it tone down when release was a little bit disappointing, but i think its one of the best looking game out there.

Iksenpets

Banned
Man, why is there so much talk about Horizon in here? Like, you're right! TW3 does not manage to match the most technically impressive game of the generation so far. Nor does any other game of their scope. If not looking as sharp as Horizon is now evidence that it's bad, then I guess virtually everything looks bad.

Also, TW3 legit has some of the best texturing on clothing I've seen.

Also, seeing MGS5 in the OP as an example of great texturing, and having just played that recently, um, no. Not at all.

Gurnlei

Even considering the scale of TW3 I have to disagree with OP. Armor and clothing textures really stood out against more linear, focused games.

Parapraxis

Anyways, have some wholesome DLC textures.

And even when the textures aren't amazing, the visuals overall still look absolutely gorgeous by today's (read: my weird) standards.

I also love HZD and think it's a gorgeous game. But geez, what a crazy comparison. I WISH CDPR had that sweet Sony first party studio budget and only had a single platform to develop for. Lordy, that'd be something.

Not just that, but overall, as much as I loved HZD, and I really freaking do, it's not even remotely close to the scale and variety of scenery to be found in TW3 imo.

EDIT: This thread is crazy BTW, completely unreasonable standards from OP.

Just started the GotY Edition today. Honestly, the lack of PBR stands out more than anything else. It's Open World, of course textures aren't always gonna be perfect.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just started the GotY Edition today. Honestly, the lack of PBR stands out more than anything else. It's Open World, of course textures aren't always gonna be perfect.

Uh what?

The PBR is fantastic in Wild Hunt.

Just look at Geralts viper armor.

Dipper145

Seems like a lot of the things viewed as better textures is just increasing the strength of normal maps or ambient occlusion maps

That video was, for me, a matter of interpretation.

I feel like some of the posters in this thread probably criticize textures in the real world too.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I have seen the Witcher in 4k max settings on my pc and the first thing that wowed me was the textures. Geralt's scratched armor made me gape. In 1440p it was impressive, in 4k it was even better.

On PS4 it was better than most other games on that platform by a large margin.

I died laughing.

Max Payne never dies.

I have seen the Witcher in 4k max settings on my pc and the first thing that wowed me was the textures. Geralt's scratched armor made me gape. In 1440p it was impressive, in 4k it was even better.

On PS4 it was better than most other games on that platform by a large margin.

Never seen it in native 4k, only downsampled to my 1440p screen, still wowed me.

thelastword

Banned
You don't get it. To some of us the mod doesn't completely respect the art of the game, this isn't about the quality of the textures, even tho they are not cartoony there is a clear artsyle behind and some changes are not following it (imo). Some people can dislike the mod, it's also ok for you to like it.

I never said that. It seems you are the one projecting.
Which mod completely respects the artstyle of the game? There will always be things that looks different by improving it. I mean check it out, there are people who prefer the look of Crash on PS1 to the remaster, saying bits like... "oh it's not as grainy etc, it's too bright".....Just like folks who prefer coarser sand in Journey on PS3 at 720p...The thing is, improvements to any game supercedes those slight changes by a long shot... When I look at the mod, I don't see an artysle change, I see massive improvements to textures. Of course the game is going to look different, it will look improved........

PBR is a workflow, not something that is "on" or "off", please stop before you hurt yourselves.
Hey;)

Overall: No one is saying that you will never get a bad texture or bug in HZD, Batman, Watchdogs 2 etc...but boy do you have to be looking and looking.....As opposed to Witcher where you see bad/flat textures at pretty much every turn......That is the problem and the mod is aimed to fix that, hell, even though the mod don't give the textures the depth of these games, what it's doing is a huge improvement as it is. I think that says quite a bit of the overall texture quality of the game tbh..

As I've said, people should be happy that this is available, it will definitely improve the look of the game at 4k, when I put it through it's paces with Vega. I think most people who are honest here feel the same way. Still, I'd like to see CDPR improve those textures come November, yes, it will be interesting to observe reactions then, if that happens.....

In any case, I think Hulk did a huge favor to this game as it is, by improving it's look quite a bit.

Which mod completely respects the artstyle of the game? There will always be things that looks different by improving it. I mean check it out, there are people who prefer the look of Crash on PS1 to the remaster, saying bits like... "oh it's not as grainy etc, it's too bright".....Just like folks who prefer coarser sand in Journey on PS3 at 720p...The thing is, improvements to any game supercedes those slight changes by a long shot... When I look at the mod, I don't see an artysle change, I see massive improvements to textures. Of course the game is going to look different, it will look improved........

Hey;)

Overall: No one is saying that you will never get a bad texture or bug in HZD, Batman, Watchdogs 2 etc...but boy do you have to be looking and looking.....As opposed to Witcher where you see bad/flat textures at pretty much every turn......That is the problem and the mod is aimed to fix that, hell, even though the mod don't give the textures the depth of these games, what it's doing is a huge improvement as it is. I think that says quite a bit of the overall texture quality of the game tbh..

As I've said, people should be happy that this is available, it will definitely improve the look of the game at 4k, when I put it through it's paces with Vega. I think most people who are honest here feel the same way. Still, I'd like to see CDPR improve those textures come November, yes, it will be interesting to observe reactions then, if that happens.....

In any case, I think Hulk did a huge favor to this game as it is, by improving it's look quite a bit.
Watch Dogs 2 had some pretty rough textures IIRC.

Watch Dogs 2, GTA V, Witcher 3 and a few others all look better than Horizon. SORRY

I mean, ya know, opinions and all. A lot of cherry picked screenshots in here. lol

thelastword

Banned
Watch Dogs 2 had some pretty rough textures IIRC.
I was pretty impressed with what I saw in that game.

1488105353-watch-dogs-r-2-20170225151418.png

1487685734-watch-dogs-r-2-20170221144101.png

1487685734-watch-dogs-r-2-20170221141543.png

1487686011-watch-dogs-r-2-20170221142219.png

1487686013-watch-dogs-r-2-20170221145029.png

1487685994-watch-dogs-r-2-20170221143106.png

Another Game which needs a shout out is The Division, it's not close to how impressive that reveal was, but at least it still pull things back well enough, it's a very nicel looking game with some nice details.

4ov4NZD.png

nZcYzRX.png

PFD

The mod in the OP is supposed to improve the bad textures in the game. It is a massive game, and the modder went out and specifically looked for bad textures to improve... that doesn't mean all textures in the game are of that quality

thelastword

Banned
The mod in the OP is supposed to improve the bad textures in the game. It is a massive game, and the modder went out and specifically looked for bad textures to improve... that doesn't mean all textures in the game are of that quality
Noted, it is work in progress as it is, but what's done already is pretty impressive over vanilla...

BTW, another game I have lots of respect for graphically is Mafia 3, that's a pretty consistently good looking game...

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The foliage looks pretty good to me on PC. Just some random shots from a few years ago with my own reshade/sweetfx preset:

looks "good", but still could be much better with much higher resolutions. Vram use is very low. sadly cant find high res foliage mods, just "ultra grass 420", but not good enough...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Man, why is there so much talk about Horizon in here? Like, you're right! TW3 does not manage to match the most technically impressive game of the generation so far. Nor does any other game of their scope. If not looking as sharp as Horizon is now evidence that it's bad, then I guess virtually everything looks bad.

Also, TW3 legit has some of the best texturing on clothing I've seen.

Also, seeing MGS5 in the OP as an example of great texturing, and having just played that recently, um, no. Not at all.
Because the true purpose of this thread was to suck off Horizon by criticizing a similar game that was much more popular.

Budi

Noted, it is work in progress as it is, but what's done already is pretty impressive over vanilla...

BTW, another game I have lots of respect for graphically is Mafia 3, that's a pretty consistently good looking game...
I'm no expert, but Witcher 3 does look (and definitely run) better for me. In Mafia 3 the graphics were even a distraction at some points. Had decent time with the game though. Agreed on Division, it looks really good.

I can't stand how the lighting looks for internal spaces in this game. Everything is bathed in incredibly warm oranges and reds. Maybe it's designed to look good on the overly blue default calibration of a lot of screens.

thelastword

Banned
I'm no expert, but Witcher 3 does look (and definitely run) better for me. In Mafia 3 the graphics were even a distraction at some points. Had decent time with the game though. Agreed on Division, it looks really good.
I think the PBR in mafia was pretty amazing including reflections. tech-wise it was pretty impressive. Materials was off the chart imo...The higher resolution you play it, the better it looks though...

06.png

we-talked-race-and-politics-with-the-senior-writer-of-mafia-iii-body-image-1475081145-size_1000.jpg

Durante also said thelastword is the only person on this forum he has on ignore...sums it up really.

thelastword is the worst poster on GAF.

Lol'd at this. Yet, somehow it's true and there is some very stiff competition.

I could point out to him how only a few posts back he responds to someone calling him out on the HZD water bug comment, saying it hasn't been reproduced. Even I saw a second picture with the same pixelated water in my brief skim through of the thread. I know better than to engage with him though. He ignores or hand waves inconvenient truths that counter his narrative. Then when he does post it's to 10 people at once with a wall of text, which is probably why he misses posts.

The hole in the bench argument is pretty good too. People have already addressed it, but the hole is a handle.....

Every game will have some poor textures here and there if you look hard enough. It's not a big deal really. Trying claim a victor reeks of fanboyism.

I think like most open world games it has the problem of disparate asset quality, but TW3 definitely has some environment textures that have too much information in the diffuse layer and are generally not very high res. I imagine that is both as a result of them not having a 100% realistic art pipeline and style, and they translated to PBR art process mid-development. I think the overall image the game produces is especially nice though.

B&W though seems to have very nice texturing through out and does not have the same overly painted black crevace problem that you see in a number of environmental textures in the base game. IDK, I think the game looks nice.

I really wish though you could force shadows from grass somehow.

Top Bottom