• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The third Sonic Wii U game might be Sonic vs. Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Transformed was by far one of the best Kart racers I've played. I'm not sure the mechanics are as polished as recent Mario Karts - but there's something to be said with a more interesting roster, better music, far more interesting tracks and some pretty good challenge & content.

I'm down - provided it's not pure Mario Kart with some Sonic character & environment cameos. Make it significant.

Calamari41

41 > 38
For this to make sense as being part of the 3 game deal, it would have to be developed by Sega. Otherwise, what's the point for Nintendo? Sonic being in Mario Kart helps Sega, not Nintendo.

I think the third game is likely to be an exclusive Sonic All-Stars Racing. The last one sold best on Wii U even with an infinitely smaller userbase, so it would make sense to nurture that audience.

Think about this, too: Nintendo is clearly against putting Link, Samus, etc into Mario Kart. But, as part of a deal, why not let them into Sonic's racing game? In my opinion, the inclusion of even a couple of non-Mario Nintendo characters would cause hype, exposure, and sales to absolutely surge.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You are the only person who ever had that thought ever in the history of the world.
Actually, no, I thought something similar. The overwhelming praise for the game made me want to try the full version, though, which should be on its way from Gamefly now. I hope my mind is changed, because Transformed has a great roster and a fantastic OST.

Darryl

Banned
I can't possibly be the only person who played the Transformed demo (Wii U) and thought the game was complete rubbish and would rather see another Double Dash than have Mario Kart even vaguely resemble Transformed.

i still don't know what to think of people who say that Mario Kart should be more like Transformed. i'm not sure whether they're saying that because it is the first successful multiplatform kart racer, if it is rebellion against Mario, or if they just don't even know what they're asking for. maybe it is a subconscious request for HD Mario Kart. you're gonna get that whether you like it or not, that has nothing to do with being similar to Transformed.

as far as the actual core gameplay goes, making the gameplay like Transformed would be regressing the franchise back into the SNES days except have it look HD. it has grown up a lot since, i don't personally want it going back there.

AzaK

I remember a comment from Miyamoto back in the day that they were considering Sonic for Mario Kart Double Dash.

Mario Kart U: 60FPS four-player mode, please. I'm not that fussed about a significant leap in visuals, the style of the game doesn't warrant it. I just hate the noticeable drop in quality when playing local multiplayer.

Four player? FIVE I say! 4 on TV + GamePad. Additional "pain in the arse" mode for GamePad players like my 3 year old boy who can't quite race yet but would have fun hassling mum and dad.

Rulp

Actually, no, I thought something similar. The overwhelming praise for the game made me want to try the full version, though, which should be on its way from Gamefly now. I hope my mind is changed, because Transformed has a great roster and a fantastic OST.

I remember the demo and the whole game being like night and day. I believe they forced you to play as sonic in the demo and he is the most stock racer in the game as I recall. The other characters are better.

BooJoh

Four player? FIVE I say! 4 on TV + GamePad. Additional "pain in the arse" mode for GamePad players like my 3 year old boy who can't quite race yet but would have fun hassling mum and dad.

I can see it now: player 5 on the gamepad as Lakitu, raining Spinies or Coins down on the track ahead of the other players.

Mistle

I wish Mario Kart would include a Smash Bros type of roster, with all Nintendo characters. I don't know why they don't! Makes sense to me. And will give the series the change up it needs.

Platy

Sega vs Nintendo All Stars Transformed

or

Mario Kart + Sonic

It is important..... if Sumo is doing the new Mario Kart than fuck it. If we have both Sega vs Nintendo all stars AND Mario Kart than ok

KrawlMan

I can see it now: player 5 on the gamepad as Lakitu, raining Spinies or Coins down on the track ahead of the other players.

This sounds glorious. Wii U has so much potential for multiplayer trolling, I love it. Please don't let this just remain "potential" Nintendo :(

I wish Mario Kart would include a Smash Bros type of roster, with all Nintendo characters. I don't know why they don't! Makes sense to me. And will give the series the change up it needs.

I've wondered this too. I always felt like eventually Mario Kart would evolve into a Smash Brosh-esque kart racer, but it hasn't happened yet. Opening up the franchise to Kirby styled worlds, or Zelda styled ones seems like an exciting move. Hell, they can keep the game mostly Mario influenced and just splash in some stuff from outside of the franchise.

IrishNinja

Ok. THAT would be awesome. Transformed best kart game of the last 5 years.

sorry to see you banned after spitting out this truth here, cloving

for real though, both sonic kart games have been crazy-underrated, and MK7 was the best one in years. this could really be an amazing game.

Mesoian

Bottom line is, everyone, whether they like MK7 more or Transformed more, wants Nintendo Vs Sega All Stars Racing Transformed.

So let's get it done.

Sponge

Banned
i still don't know what to think of people who say that Mario Kart should be more like Transformed. i'm not sure whether they're saying that because it is the first successful multiplatform kart racer, if it is rebellion against Mario, or if they just don't even know what they're asking for. maybe it is a subconscious request for HD Mario Kart. you're gonna get that whether you like it or not, that has nothing to do with being similar to Transformed.

Honestly, I think Transformed is one of the finest Kart racers to date. It took a mechanic that Diddy Kong Racing introduced (which was already Mario Kart with planes and boats) and made it a whole lot more fun. I honestly just want planes and boats in Mario kart. Hang gliders and going underwater wasn't anywhere near as fun.

We were actually very close to this, as shown by Diddy Kong Pilot Space World footage.

JZHOttl.png

After Transformed this really needs to happen. Some people will think I'm crazy but I thought Transformed was way better the MK7.

Kandinsky

You guys are crazy if you think this will be Nintendo and Sega racing thing, Mario Kart brand is too damn big to mess around with, at most Sonic will appear as a guest, but it will still be Mario Kart 8 and developed within Nintendo, no Sumo nonsense and I'm fine with it.

ZeroGravity

You guys are crazy if you think this will be Nintendo and Sega racing thing, Mario Kart brand is too damn big to mess around with, at most Sonic will appear as a guest, but it will still be Mario Kart 8 and developed within Nintendo, no Sumo nonsense and I'm fine with it.
Or maybe they'll just have two different games.

KrawlMan

I thought Transformed was by far one of the best Kart racers I've played. I'm not sure the mechanics are as polished as recent Mario Karts - but there's something to be said with a more interesting roster, better music, far more interesting tracks and some pretty good challenge & content.

I'm down - provided it's not pure Mario Kart with some Sonic character & environment cameos. Make it significant.

I'm with you on the polish. Transformed was great but had a lot of issues at launch. Boost levels largely could not be beaten, the multiplayer had countless bugs, and the final level was unbeatable for the longest time (at least on Wii U). I actually haven't played it since launch, so I'm sure they fixed most/all the bugs.

guek

Banned
I think the third game is likely to be an exclusive Sonic All-Stars Racing. The last one sold best on Wii U even with an infinitely smaller userbase, so it would make sense to nurture that audience.

Think about this, too: Nintendo is clearly against putting Link, Samus, etc into Mario Kart. But, as part of a deal, why not let them into Sonic's racing game? In my opinion, the inclusion of even a couple of non-Mario Nintendo characters would cause hype, exposure, and sales to absolutely surge.

I'd only be down for this if it were a twisted metal/vigilante 8 esque car combat racer

This is kinda how I feel too. I don't know if Nintendo is gonna want to mess with an already winning formula, and I don't blame them. (Though, I know they did a Namco/Mario Kart crossover arcade in Japan, so maybe...)

Personally, I wouldn't want a Mario Kart crossover. I don't think it's good for either brand, to be honest.

Sagitario

This is kinda how I feel too. I don't know if Nintendo is gonna want to mess with an already winning formula, and I don't blame them. (Though, I know they did a Namco/Mario Kart crossover arcade in Japan, so maybe...)

Personally, I wouldn't want a Mario Kart crossover. I don't think it's good for either brand, to be honest.

I feel the same way.

I dunno if that's a good idea. Transformed literally came out 6 months ago. Too soon to be coming out 6-18 months from now, IMO.

Just let it be Mario Kart Wii U.

Surfheart

Please god no!

Don't shit up mario kart with sonic and his shitty sub 30fps friends

Fine if its a spin off and there is a Nintendo developed next gen mario kart, but if this is it I'm out.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yeah the thing that kind of kills the idea of this being a racing game is the fact that Sonic All-Stars came out six months ago, and Mario Kart 8 is likely coming out six months from now. The way this announcement was worded, it seems like the three exclusive games are coming out sooner than later, and I don't see another Sonic kart racer coming until holiday 2014 at the absolute, absolute earliest.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Blame the shitty console hardware for that. I play Transformed on my PC at 3600x2025, solid 60fps, even in split-screen. Mario Kart 7 doesn't have shit on Transformed.

Man that Skies of Arcadia track is all-time. I don't think there's a better track in any kart game.

Well it would definitely be Mario Kart featuring Sonic and not the other way around if it's a Nintendo game. No way they would let Sonic's name go first in the title if they're involved in the cross-over and co-developing the game. Mario Kart games outsell Sonic racing games by like 50 to 1.

Surfheart

Blame the shitty console hardware for that. I play Transformed on my PC at 3600x2025, solid 60fps, even in split-screen. Mario Kart 7 doesn't have shit on Transformed.

WTF does it running like that on your expensive PC have to do with anything?
Mario kart 7 is 60 FPS on a <$200 handheld.

I have zero faith in sumo to deliver on console given their track record

Mario Kart 7 is way better to me.

As far as the Wii U Sonic Racing game, typical poor prioritization to have fancy water at the expense of framerate.

Mario Kart 7 kind of went the F-Zero X route, simple looking but great track designs and ideal framerate.

He's giving a rebuttal to your statement that it's sub 30 FPS. Then you moved the goalposts.

RM8

Transformed is glorious, and I'm a -huge- Mario Kart fan. I'd be thrilled if Sumo is in charge of anything related to Mario Kart.

iMerc

Yeah I mean, if you think about it, the whole racing collaboration thing really doesnt make any sense.

neither did putting mario & sonic in an olympic game.
yet that happened.

when it comes to 'out of left field' decision making, never count nintendo & sega out.

Daingurse

Obviously you can't read. The definitive version, on pc runs at the 60fps you desire. You do not need an expensive PC to run this game at a reasonable resolution at 60fps. So blame the shitty hardware that limits the developers vision. On the PC the experience is better than Mario Kart 7, I'd know I own it.

Nintendo wouldn't do that without coming up with a sensible way to bring all of those characters together to race. In Smash Bros. the excuse is that they are all action figures and not the actual characters.

Surfheart

He's giving a rebuttal to your statement that it's sub 30 FPS. Then you moved the goalposts.

I thought we were talking about a Wii U game here?

Obviously you can't read. The definitive version, on pc runs at the 60fps you desire. You do not need an expensive PC to run this game at a reasonable resolution at 60fps. So blame the shitty hardware that limits the developers vision. On the PC the experience is better than Mario Kart 7, I'd know I own it.

The Developers vision? More like the developers poor coding skills being lessened by brute forcing on hardware generations beyond the console we are talking about in this thread.

RM8

For a while now I thought Nintendo should do a Super Smash Kart game.
I think this hasn't happened because Mario Kart is a huge seller and Nintendo has been naturally very cautious about not changing the formula too much. Mario somehow sells more games when he's on a kart than when he's platforming.

Nintendo wouldn't do that without coming up with a sensible way to bring all of those characters together to race. In Smash Bros. the excuse is that they are all action figures and not the actual characters.

What's the excuse for all the Mario villains coming together for a race, then? Or ROB, or Pac-Man?
I thought we were talking about a Wii U game here?

You mentioned the game was sub 30 FPS. You were then corrected. I mean, I could complain that the PS3 version of Sonic Generations has long loading times and then say "man this game has awful loading times, Sonic Team can't make any sort of good games," but I'd be wrong as soon as someone showed me the PC version.

RM8

What? That track had way too much flying.

Temple Trouble, Seasonal Shrines, Carrier Zone, Graffiti City, Adder's Lair, Race of Ages - Those are amazing.

Daingurse

What? That track had way too much flying.

Temple Trouble, Seasonal Shrines, Carrier Zone, Graffiti City, Adder's Lair, Race of Ages - Those are amazing.

Being a Skies Fan nullifies all of that, I love that track, but I would say Adder's Lair is the best stage imo. And I don't even give a fuck about Golden Axe, stage is pure sex.

Surfheart

No. I don't even own a strong enough gaming PC that can run TF2 reliably. But if he's gonna make a statement and then add a qualifier when it gets beaten, then i dunno what to tell you.

Nowhere in my statement did I mention PC hardware. I don't know why it was even mentioned? I'm talking about Sumo's current output on the Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom