• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the time has come. i need an arcade stick.

rod

Banned
i need some good reccomendations. im looking for a ps2 one specifically, but is tehre any out there that have those dual adapters so i can use it on xbox aswell? my thumbs were killing me after street fighter alpha 3 sessions last night, and ive never considered one until now.

thanks in advance

MAS (massystems.com) if you like American style and HRAP(ncsx.com,play-asia.com, etc.) if you like Japanese style. There are converters that work best with each joystick, it just depends on which one you get I guess.

Ps2 Saturn pads are nice as well.

If you want a american style stick go with the Street fighter stick then mod that sucker with a competition joystick from Happ games. Still cheaper than a MAS (overpriced (truth) and with crappy PCB's that wear out, IMO) and has X-box and ps2 functionality. Arcadestickmonk has a tutorial on his page for this very stick.

If you want a clicky ball jap stick get a Real arcade pro 1 or 2.

If you're cheap and want a jap stick get the tekken 5 stick from e-bay.

I'd go with the japanese sticks. They are > for dbl tap diagonal inputs in Virtua Fighter.

EDIT:
The only issue with converters are with Capcom games on the Xbox. Your best bet for Ps2 -> Xbox conversion is to use a ps2 dualshock PCB board and swap out the boards; then use either a magicbox converter or a dreambox converter. Get em at lik sang or play asia. (or elsewhere) If I were you, I'd just use a dualshock and converter for xbox play. It's not worth the hassle. (though I have done this)

Non capcom x-box games work fine with other converters and even generic ps/ps2 controller combos,in the form of pads or as the PCB board for your stick).

The VF4 stick is a fine stick. If you're only gonna play VF on it then it's an ok purchase. If not get a stick with the capcom layout at least. The vf only has 5 buttons

Pikelet

Watcgh out for those convertors if you end up using them. They can often cause input lag and thats pretty damaging for a fighting game.

rod

Banned
im sort of new to arcade sticks and whatnot. whats the difference between a JPN and a US one? and what works better with 2D street fighter games, im not really into 3d fighters sans VF games

Grifter

JPN sticks have ball tops (lollipops) and US sticks are bat-shaped, it's all down to preference. JPN sticks usually have less throw and are looser, you could say that they theoretically will help you execute faster.

I buddy just bought a sick looking customized stick from some guy on shoryuken.com. Incredible, but he paid $200 to get exactly the pieces he wanted. My MAS has taken a hell of a beating for 5 years going to gatherings, tourneys, etc. and still works like a champ.

inthegray

no lie -- you can't go wrong with the old yellow'n gray namco ps1 stick.

b6_2.JPG

i dropped about 45 for mine, but it was worth it.

rod

Banned
i like the ball shaped ones. can anyone else reccomend that namco one? or what other specific ones are good, or have people had good experiences with

edit: is the VF4 evo arcade stick good?

Top Bottom